blowboatbethesda

Governor Hogan announces plan to fight violent crime in Baltimore

109 posts in this topic

Given that other efforts by the city have met with little or no success, an escalation is in order.

It's doubtful that the MSP and the MdTA agencies, under the orders of the Governor, will be required to adhere to the BPD's castrating "consent decree."

Good luck to the "new sheriff's" in town; they'll need it. 

MSP and MdTA cops most likely have fewer ignoramus criminal cops than BPD.

I am puzzled by the constant whining about the consent decree for Baltimore's Police Department. I don't see anywhere in there that one should coddle or go easy on the citizens of Baltimore. As far as I can tell it is an attempt to treat the citizens with respect and dignity, because they are, in fact citizens. 

Now the Governor is right on when he talks about a need for some immediate action for violence reduction in the city. The Mayor is looking long term, and that is fine, but Hogan is correct that something needs to be done in the next 30-60-90 days to address the issue. And the state is going to have to pay for it. 

4 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

I am puzzled by the constant whining about the consent decree for Baltimore's Police Department. I don't see anywhere in there that one should coddle or go easy on the citizens of Baltimore. As far as I can tell it is an attempt to treat the citizens with respect and dignity, because they are, in fact citizens. 

Now the Governor is right on when he talks about a need for some immediate action for violence reduction in the city. The Mayor is looking long term, and that is fine, but Hogan is correct that something needs to be done in the next 30-60-90 days to address the issue. And the state is going to have to pay for it. 

The State has been heavily subsidizing the City for decades, at the least. It's about time that Maryland taxpayers see some results from those dollars.

The state will be subsidizing the city forever, as I believe the City has subsidized the for 150 years or so up to the 1950's. What the state gets is a cultural, economic, and social landmark recognized around the world. 

6 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

The State has been heavily subsidizing the City for decades, at the least. It's about time that Maryland taxpayers see some results from those dollars.

Because BaCi residents who pay MD taxes aren't MD taxpayers? :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

MSP and MdTA cops most likely have fewer ignoramus criminal cops than BPD.

Dui, speeding and toll violations aren't the biggest problems in bc.....

2 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Dui, speeding and toll violations aren't the biggest problems in bc.....

So that gives them a right to abuse the citizenry? 

"Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan announced a package of initiatives Tuesday aimed at curbing violent crime in Baltimore — ordering increased state patrols in high-crime areas and promising an “aggressive sweep” arresting criminals wanted on outstanding warrants."

The city wasn't able to do this on their own? And years ago? Seems like basic policing 101.

Edited by Pickle20

Hogan is an amazing governor. Probably one of the best 5 in the country I'd wager.

Edited by Pickle20

31 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

The state will be subsidizing the city forever, as I believe the City has subsidized the for 150 years or so up to the 1950's. What the state gets is a cultural, economic, and social landmark recognized around the world. 

Oh yeah! :rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Because BaCi residents who pay MD taxes aren't MD taxpayers? :rolleyes:

In the whole of things, the majority of "BaCi" taxpayers absorb much more than they contribute. for reference; see: "Baltimore City Board of Education."

10 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

In the whole of things, the majority of "BaCi" taxpayers absorb much more than they contribute. for reference; see: "Baltimore City Board of Education."

Does it matter where one lives? A MD taxpayer is a MD taxpayer and it's all going into the same coffers. You'd be paying even more if people like me weren't here paying these damn property taxes. It's not like we get a lot in return for paying them either. We get abused by the cops, stereotyped by other MDers, and I don't even have kids. So the "Baltimore City School Board" isn't benefitting me anymore than its benefitting you. Hell I'm paying for other MDers' little table pimps to go to school. So STHU about MDers paying MD taxes. We all do it. 

Edited by Marshan Man

1 hour ago, Marshan Man said:

Does it matter where one lives? A MD taxpayer is a MD taxpayer and it's all going into the same coffers. You'd be paying even more if people like me weren't here paying these damn property taxes. It's not like we get a lot in return for paying them either. We get abused by the cops, stereotyped by other MDers, and I don't even have kids. So the "Baltimore City School Board" isn't benefitting me anymore than its benefitting you. Hell I'm paying for other MDers' little table pimps to go to school. So STHU about MDers paying MD taxes. We all do it. 

The Board of Ed reference was an example of Baltimore City's siphoning of State resources; provided for your so-shallow edification, and i'm pleased that you jumped in on it, hook line and sinker. Want more? Not one in 8 Marylanders benefit from the MTA, however the majority of taxpayers subsidize an over-funded, underutilized system, specifically the light rail and the Metro.  And you of all people weeine whined about the loss of the "red line,"  another boondoggle!"

We get abused by the cops, stereotyped by other MDers

Cry me a river. :rolleyes:

Hogan isn't sending resources into Anne Arundel, Somerset, Howard, Garrett or Carroll or other Counties to quell deplorable behavior; i wonder why?

Edited by blowboatbethesda

32 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

The Board of Ed reference was an example of Baltimore City's siphoning of State resources; provided for your so-shallow edification, and i'm pleased that you jumped in on it, hook line and sinker. Want more? Not one in 8 Marylanders benefit from the MTA, however the majority of taxpayers subsidize an over-funded, underutilized system, specifically the light rail and the Metro.  And you of all people weeine whined about the loss of the "red line,"  another boondoggle!"

Cry me a river. :rolleyes:

Hogan isn't sending resources into Anne Arundel, Somerset, Howard, Garrett or Carroll or other Counties to quell deplorable behavior; i wonder why?

Dumb. No need to wonder. Those places aren’t experiencing violent crime at unprecedented levels. 

He DID send my gas tax money out there to pay for roads 10 people are likely to use. :rolleyes:

Do you have any links to support your mass transit claims? I won’t hold my breath. The reason why it’s underutilized is because it doesn’t go many places because shortsighted idiots like Hoagie won’t invest in it. 

FYI there is no board of education in Baltimore. Note the proper name. I didn’t fall for anything  what part of I don’t have kids in school didn’t you understand?? Maybe we need to find some additional education just for you.  You obviously have comprehension problems.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_rapid_transit_systems_by_ridership

Edited by Marshan Man

13 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Dumb. No need to wonder. Those places aren’t experiencing violent crime at unprecedented levels. 

He DID send my gas tax money out there to pay for roads 10 people are likely to use. :rolleyes:

Do you have any links to support your mass transit claims? I won’t hold my breath. The reason why it’s underutilized is because it doesn’t go many places because shortsighted idiots like Hoagie won’t invest in it. 

The Metro opened in 1983.

The Light Rail opened in 1992.

To this very day, the "twain does not and never will meet;" so to speak. 

Our current governor wasn't involved in politics back then; to which "shortsighted idiot(s)" are you referring? :rolleyes:

Edited by blowboatbethesda

8 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

The Metro opened in 1983.

The Light Rail opened in 1992.

To this very day, the "twain does not and never will meet;" so to speak. 

Our current governor wasn't involved in politics back then; to which "shortsighted idiot(s)" are you referring? :rolleyes:

Do you know what the word “like” means? 

A Baltimore heavy rail system was planned beginning in the early 60s. Yes a line very similar to the redline was included in the plans. 

The idiots didn’t have the foresight to build the damn thing then and they continue to make the same mistake. 

1 minute ago, Marshan Man said:

I think you should mind yours 😜

Okay. I am very sorry, Marshan Man.

Just now, Marshan Man said:

Do you know what the word “like” means? 

A Baltimore heavy rail system was planned beginning in the early 60s. Yes a line very similar to the redline was included in the plans. 

The idiots didn’t have the foresight to build the damn thing then and they continue to make the same mistake. 

"They" didn't have the money then and "they" don't have the money now. Tawes, Agnew, Lee, Hughes, Schaefer, Glendenning, Ehrlich and O'Malley were around since "the 60's."  However you continue to blame Hogan.  Got it.

18 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

"They" didn't have the money then and "they" don't have the money now. Tawes, Agnew, Lee, Hughes, Schaefer, Glendenning, Ehrlich and O'Malley were around since "the 60's."  However you continue to blame Hogan.  Got it.

They did have the money then. And the money for the redline was set aside until Hogan pillaged it for the boonies.  I’m blaming Hogan for his part. No more no less. 

You’re the one that derailed your own thread by bringing up mass transit. 

Edited by Marshan Man

1 hour ago, Marshan Man said:

They did have the money then. And the money for the redline was set aside until Hogan pillaged it for the boonies.  I’m blaming Hogan for his part. No more no less. 

You’re the one that derailed your own thread by bringing up mass transit. 

The money did NOT fully cover the cost to do the red line, only about 1/3 of the cost.