blowboatbethesda

Governor Hogan announces plan to fight violent crime in Baltimore

109 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, sparky1 said:

I am puzzled by the constant whining about the consent decree for Baltimore's Police Department. I don't see anywhere in there that one should coddle or go easy on the citizens of Baltimore. As far as I can tell it is an attempt to treat the citizens with respect and dignity, because they are, in fact citizens. 

Now the Governor is right on when he talks about a need for some immediate action for violence reduction in the city. The Mayor is looking long term, and that is fine, but Hogan is correct that something needs to be done in the next 30-60-90 days to address the issue. And the state is going to have to pay for it. 

Nicely put!

10 hours ago, ericpd said:

Nicely put!

Nicely put but this isn’t likely to help much. At least he’s trying though. 

15 hours ago, Marshan Man said:

Does it matter where one lives? A MD taxpayer is a MD taxpayer and it's all going into the same coffers. You'd be paying even more if people like me weren't here paying these damn property taxes. It's not like we get a lot in return for paying them either. We get abused by the cops, stereotyped by other MDers, and I don't even have kids. So the "Baltimore City School Board" isn't benefitting me anymore than its benefitting you. Hell I'm paying for other MDers' little table pimps to go to school. So STHU about MDers paying MD taxes. We all do it. 

Good post Marshan, that one is always whining about something pertaining to Baltimore.

I agree with Hogan on this, the killings need to stop and criminals need to serve their time no parole.

17 hours ago, sparky1 said:

I am puzzled by the constant whining about the consent decree for Baltimore's Police Department. I don't see anywhere in there that one should coddle or go easy on the citizens of Baltimore. As far as I can tell it is an attempt to treat the citizens with respect and dignity, because they are, in fact citizens. 

Now the Governor is right on when he talks about a need for some immediate action for violence reduction in the city. The Mayor is looking long term, and that is fine, but Hogan is correct that something needs to be done in the next 30-60-90 days to address the issue. And the state is going to have to pay for it. 

I questioned the consent decree initially, but recent events involving the Baltimore Police Department which are likely just the tip of the ice berg demonstrate a need for it. 

It's going to take a decade or longer to build any lasting trust between the BPD and the people in certain areas when there are reports of corrupt cops in elite squads setting people up for crimes they didn't commit. 

Anyone who wants to discuss Freddie Gray would do well to compare his criminal record with the activities of the cops that were indicted and those who have been captured on video beating the hell out of people. 

It's time to put things into perspective.

16 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Hogan is an amazing governor. Probably one of the best 5 in the country I'd wager.

Certainly the best we’ve had in a long long time 

17 hours ago, Marshan Man said:

I think you should mind yours 😜

Squeak squeak.

17 hours ago, Marshan Man said:

Do you know what the word “like” means? 

A Baltimore heavy rail system was planned beginning in the early 60s. Yes a line very similar to the redline was included in the plans. 

The idiots didn’t have the foresight to build the damn thing then and they continue to make the same mistake. 

And who's idiots were in charge then.........hmmmmmm in the city and MD.....lib/dem/progressives.

So is there any wonder why it was screwed up.

Duh

15 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

The money did NOT fully cover the cost to do the red line, only about 1/3 of the cost.

MM seems to always get confused buy the details. :lol:

I have stated this before but I think it bears repeating. How is it that this wonderful redline...has been in the picture for HOW many dem govs...particularly O? And how many GA dem dominated sessions. AND THEY NEVER LAUNCHED? IMHO it was because they knew...it was a boondoggle...and potential expensive political albatross if they did.

I don't understand how it is 'mean ol Hogan' because he realized it an pulled the plug. Yes he is not a pol like O'Malley but he was smart enough to realize it the redline launched ON HIS WATCH...he and the GOP would be blamed for the financial fiasco. Not the decades of Dems that proceeded him.

And don't even think about saying 'well Ehlich....' that is BS. One term....with a dem led GA....ppppuuuulllleeeeeassseee.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, sparky1 said:

Treating Citizens with respect and dignity was really done by a few Officers. As a rule, those Officers got run out of town or who fled in disgust at the department's treatment of them).

But there is an old saying: "The Police are there to save your butt, NOT KISS IT!"  From speaking with a number of Officers, the consent decree requires 24/7 butt kissing by the Officers.

10 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

I questioned the consent decree initially, but recent events involving the Baltimore Police Department which are likely just the tip of the ice berg demonstrate a need for it. 

It's going to take a decade or longer to build any lasting trust between the BPD and the people in certain areas when there are reports of corrupt cops in elite squads setting people up for crimes they didn't commit. 

Anyone who wants to discuss Freddie Gray would do well to compare his criminal record with the activities of the cops that were indicted and those who have been captured on video beating the hell out of people. 

It's time to put things into perspective.

(FYI: Beethoven's ninth is my favorite)..

Anyway, you mention the issue of trust... I put it to you that the Mayor and City Council DO NOT want to foster a relationship of trust between the Citizens and the Police.

Currently there is continual crime and the Mayor does not try to stop the crime, The Mayor tries to convince the public that she will not stand for the crime, but she doesn't correct it, (she does however gain points with the masses by saying she is there to help).

On 12/6/2017 at 4:00 PM, Marshan Man said:

So that gives them a right to abuse the citizenry? 

You know why!

34 minutes ago, Lawman 27 said:

Treating Citizens with respect and dignity was really done by a few Officers. As a rule, those Officers got run out of town or who fled in disgust at the department's treatment of them).

But there is an old saying: "The Police are there to save your butt, NOT KISS IT!"  From speaking with a number of Officers, the consent decree requires 24/7 butt kissing by the Officers.

What bs

11 hours ago, bogart said:

I agree with Hogan on this, the killings need to stop and criminals need to serve their time no parole.

I feel you

46 minutes ago, paulsebastian said:

What bs

I don't understand, you think the Police should be there to kiss the public's butt?

I fled some time ago, but from the Officers who are still there, they tell me that this is how they feel.

19 hours ago, Lawman 27 said:

I don't understand, you think the Police should be there to kiss the public's butt?

I fled some time ago, but from the Officers who are still there, they tell me that this is how they feel.

IMHO . I feel your comment is BS.When did I mention Police should be there to kiss the public's butt? Protect and serve. Have a nice day.

I don't give a rats behind how they feel.

Edited by paulsebastian

54 minutes ago, paulsebastian said:

IMHO . I feel your comment is BS.When did I mention Police should be there to kiss the public's butt? Protect and serve. Have a nice day.

I don't get a rats behind how they feel.

Typical.

But 'we' are supposed to care about the losers that the police have to keep in check.

Ha!

SMH

It's actually a pretty good political strategy by Hogan.  If the killings are down next year he can claim a part in the reduction.  If they aren't it will still be viewed as a Baltimore problem.  He has nothing to lose by this and everything to gain.  

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:56 PM, Marshan Man said:

They did have the money then. And the money for the redline was set aside until Hogan pillaged it for the boonies.  I’m blaming Hogan for his part. No more no less. 

You’re the one that derailed your own thread by bringing up mass transit. 

Best thing he did was to get rid of the redline crime line

15 hours ago, paulsebastian said:

What bs

His usual stuff. The poor innocent cops can do no wrong, despite the stories provided with city pay offs for misconduct towards citizens. The problem is people like lawman and many others who post here see the citizens of Baltimore as less than human. Despite the fact that most people agree there's only a small percentage of the residents committing the crime. They're all seen as the same inhuman bunch. So if a 80 year old grandmother gets assaulted by an officer , so what?

Edited by bmore_ken

Let's face it. No democratic governor was getting the Red Line built either. It would have been studies, studies, studies, delays, delays, delays, augmented routes, BRT, more money, etc.

Sucks to lose all the money spent on those studies, but you have to cut your losses at some point. And I say that as a HUGE mass transit supporter.

It's a sad reality in this city & state. What we have now is likely what we'll always have.

Edited by Pickle20

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Let's face it. No democratic governor was getting the Red Line built either. It would have been studies, studies, studies, delays, delays, delays, augmented routes, BRT, more money, etc.

Sucks to lose all the money spent on those studies, but you have to cut your losses at some point. And I say that as a HUGE mass transit supporter.

It's a sad reality in this city & state. What we have now is likely what we'll always have.

Because we accept it. 

A dem governor would have gotten it built. Shame on me for voting for Hoagie. Shame on the dems for running such a poor candidate. I won’t make that mistake again.  

4 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

Very simple answer to the problem in the city.  BEHAVE. 

Most people in the city behave and a lot  of people in Carroll county don't BEHAVE. SMH

4 minutes ago, paulsebastian said:

Most people in the city behave and a lot  of people in Carroll county don't BEHAVE. SMH

Did you use to live here or something ..??

Your location says Dallas TX.