Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dinglehopper

Rafael Palmeiro eyes comeback at 53

5 posts in this topic

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2747906-rafael-palmeiro-theres-no-doubt-i-can-make-mlb-comeback-at-age-53

On Wednesday, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic passed along comments from the four-time All-Star, who remains confident in his physical abilities.

"There's no doubt in my mind I can do it," Palmeiro said. "I've taken care of myself really well. I've been working out for years. Everything feels better than when I played."

The Cuba native was one of baseball's most consistent hitters across his 20-year career, which included two stints apiece with the Texas Rangers and Baltimore Orioles after starting with the Chicago Cubs in 1986.

This was brought up in another thread, so I'll share my comments here as well. Wait until he's facing live pitching that has the intent of getting him out. He'll quickly realize just how fast the game is. He thinks that, because he's stayed in good shape, he has the bat speed of a man that's half his age. I'd love to see him embarrass himself in front of large crowds of people. 

9 hours ago, weird-O said:

This was brought up in another thread, so I'll share my comments here as well. Wait until he's facing live pitching that has the intent of getting him out. He'll quickly realize just how fast the game is. He thinks that, because he's stayed in good shape, he has the bat speed of a man that's half his age. I'd love to see him embarrass himself in front of large crowds of people. 

I am sure you are right about the bat speed.  I also doubt his body would be ready for a 162 game schedule.  Assuming he could get enough playing time.

So, it turns out this is just a stunt. It's an attempt to gain sympathy from the Veteran's Committee, because he's eligible for HOF consideration in 2021. What a fraud. 

I was hopeful for him.  I like it when there are professional sports players that are older than me.  :)