Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scaggsville

December 7th

11 posts in this topic

I couldn’t believe until I saw it with my own eyes that even after all these years, oil continues to seep up from the ship.

Nice ceremony on board the USCGC Taney today. 

Edited by PinkFlamingo

What is kind of sad....is while I don't expect a lot anymore regarding honoring the day and those lives lost. But, when The Sun says nothing on the front page......and has some buried on page 8 article about a Minister finally getting a medal he deserved..... well it is sad.

At the age of 64 I and others in that age group are the last that will remember the 'stories'...the Uncles....told...or not...mostly not...about WW2.

Tough, stoic...and it is done...move on attitude.

God rest their souls for eternity...even if future generations...forget.

I was touched by Trump's comments during the WH ceremony with several PH vets. Quote: it must have been "a wild scene".

No doubt will eclipse FDR's take of "a day that will live in infamy".

MAGA.

Edited by ms maggie

11 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

I couldn’t believe until I saw it with my own eyes that even after all these years, oil continues to seep up from the ship.

Are you talking about the USS Arizona? 

I was stationed at KMCAS down in Kailua for a couple of years. I went to the monument a couple of times. Didn't notice any oil. But I don't doubt it. 

11 hours ago, FatBoy said:

Are you talking about the USS Arizona? 

I was stationed at KMCAS down in Kailua for a couple of years. I went to the monument a couple of times. Didn't notice any oil. But I don't doubt it. 

Went there two years ago.  There was quite a sheen on top and being the cynic, I just assumed it was from an active surface boat.  Standing there looking and here comes a bubble and sure enough, "fresh" oil.  Eerie.

1 minute ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Went there two years ago.  There was quite a sheen on top and being the cynic, I just assumed it was from an active surface boat.  Standing there looking and here comes a bubble and sure enough, "fresh" oil.  Eerie.

I don't think the ship has ever been raised. I guess it's possible it could still have trapped oil in there. 

54 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

I don't think the ship has ever been raised. I guess it's possible it could still have trapped oil in there. 

Yes when you are on the monument you can see a very slow drip of oil coming to the surface and putting an iridescent sheen on the water immediately above the ship.   No the Arizona was never raised.  My understanding is that they tried initially, but realized the magazines had exploded and blown the bottom out of the ship.  They did remove the 3 massive turrets with the intention of using the guns as shore batteries, but they never finished before the war ended.  Not sure what happened to the guns after that.  

But visiting the monument is a little like visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers.  It is a grave site.  People speak in hushed tones.  It is somewhat incongruous with the feeling that you are in a tropical paradise.  Most visitors don't have the opportunity to see the wreckage of the USS Utah on the other side of Ford Island.  I used to do morning runs lapping the island and would pass both wrecks a couple of times.  I could never get past the contradiction between the beauty of the island and the horror which occurred there.  

"Although nobody knows for sure, many estimates say the ship, which held 1.5 million gallons of oil, went down with about 500,000 gallons still on board. (The rest went up in smoke as the ship burned for nearly three days after the Japanese attack on that day that will live in infamy.) Currently, the ship is believed to be leaking about 9 quarts a day, which is why tourists who take the Pearl Harbor tour see that telltale rainbow sheen when they look at the battleship below the water. Given the estimated volume of oil and current rate of leakage, there’s enough gunk to trickle out for another 540 years."

http://www.bnd.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/answer-man/article121187228.html

"Descent into Darkness: Pearl Harbor, 1941―A Navy Diver’s Memoir" details the salvage effort at Pearl Harbor. They lost some divers trying to recover bodies and decided to stop recovery effoerts and left the unrecovered in the ship after determining the keel was broken and the ship could not be refloated whole. 

Edited by Wild Eyed Southern Boy