Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guido2

You are an idiot to work in Baltimore

43 posts in this topic

While doing some research, I stumbled on some very interesting articles regarding what a minimum wage worker is paid and what a welfare recipient gets. Admittedly the articles are a bit old. MD minimum wage is now 8.75 per hour BUT I doubt welfare has gone down and likely has gone up due to cost of living adjustments.

Read these and weep.

Conducted by the Cato Institute, a think tank headquartered in D.C., the study found that residents on welfare in the District receive the equivalent of $24.43 per hour. Welfare recipients in Maryland get around $18.35 per hour in assistance.

Maryland’s minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. D.C.’s is $8.25. That means welfare recipients in both states receive more than twice as much per hour than someone working a minimum wage job.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/08/22/study-welfare-recipients-in-md-dc-make-more-than-twice-minimum-wage/

In Maryland, a mother with two children participating in seven major welfare programs (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, housing assistance, utility assistance, and free commodities), could receive a package of benefits worth $35,672, the 10th highest in the nation.

It is important to remember that welfare benefits are not taxed, while wages are.

To put that in perspective, that is more than the average entry level salary for a teacher or secretary. In fact, it is more than 94 percent of Maryland's median salary.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-welfare-20130813-story.html

So why work...thoughts?

Edited by Guido2

"You're"

And are welfare benefits only available to those in Baltimore?  Everything above says Maryland.

4 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

"You're"

And are welfare benefits only available to those in Baltimore?  Everything above says Maryland.

Come on man. There’s no welfare in Maryland outside of Baltimore city limits. Get real. :rolleyes:

Have to tell my son in-law and nephews they should quit their well paid jobs in Baltimore and get on this welfare gravy train you speak of:rolleyes:.

14 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

"You're"

Thanks for pointing that out. I corrected it

9 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Come on man. There’s no welfare in Maryland outside of Baltimore city limits. Get real. :rolleyes:

Absolutely correct.

Just now, jonsensback said:

Have to tell my son in-law and nephews they should quit their well paid jobs in Baltimore and get on this welfare gravy train you speak of:rolleyes:.

Good for them. But that is not the point.....min. wage jobs...vs....as ken put it....the gravy train.

Two different things.

17 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

ken.... I fully realize that there are others outside of BC that are on welfare.

However, seeing as how there is this constant drum beat coming from the city SJWs, of 'well there are no jobs' and on the other hand merchants complain that they can't fill jobs that are minimum wage. Well, I was just pointing out why there is an issue.

Why work for minimum wage....when you can sit on your duff and make more? And have all that free time for other pursuits. :rolleyes:

Proverbs 16:27 Idle hands are the devil’s workshop;

Simple as that.

Edited by Guido2

If the minimum wage is not attracting workers you have to raise the minimum wage to a point where it does. Fifteen dollars an hour would be a good start. 

The point isn't that welfare benefits are high.  The point is that the minimum wage is too low -- if you actually expect people to be able to live on it.  But every time somebody on the left proposes raising the minimum wage, the righties start frothing at the mouth about how that will utterly destroy American business as we know it (despite the fact that the minimum wage has been raised repeatedly throughout American history) and how the minimum wage jobs are just supposed to be for entry-level youngsters or part-time students or blah blah blah blah. 

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Trump supporters are on welfare.

If you mean corporate welfare you are spot on. But I am sure there are more than a handful of displaced auto line workers that are also.

I made more when I worked in Baltimore than if I had been on welfare.

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

Good for them. But that is not the point.....min. wage jobs...vs....as ken put it....the gravy train.

Two different things.

That's not what your title says.

45 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

If the minimum wage is not attracting workers you have to raise the minimum wage to a point where it does. Fifteen dollars an hour would be a good start. 

Before or after taxes.....big diff.

If you as a worker are turning over 1/3 of you pay check to the goooberment....it is still better to stay home.

Not messing with you here......this is just a general observation on my part.

Till 'someone' realizes that the US is no longer a production/iron.manufacturing company....that paid a decent wage....for people with a HS education or less....then nothing will change.

We are no a ....what I call a 'non-tangable' economy, that is information/banking games/investment and of course services. Now for the former classification...that requires smarts and college degrees. So what is left...services....which are will and always have been the lowest paying jobs.

Now ....the thing is....like it or not....and the propaganda that we are fed....NOT EVERYONE IS COLLEGE MATERIAL AND NEVER WILL BE. And also; the bulk of the population is NOT college material.

So till such time that 'someone' realizes those simple facts....nothing will change....and the bulk of society will continue to swirl down the commode.

And yes.... I would pay an extra buck or two for my big Mac.

8 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Doing what? Flipping hamburgers? And if so when?

matt ....yes ... you can make more that Min wage...that is a given. But considering the skill set of some in BC....that is a reach for some of them.

I worked in BC from time to time as a freelance consultant in IT....made 165 per hour minimum. But I also had 2 degrees and a ton of certifications.

Edited by Guido2

12 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

That's not what your title says.

Would you and your mods preferred;

If you are a HS dropout and have the brains of a gerbil you are an idiot to work in Baltimore  ?

Yes ...much classier,

I can change it if you wish.....;)

23 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Many people do. According to Guido everyone who works in Baltimore works at Micky D’s or Burger King.

Edited by bmore_ken

36 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

If you mean corporate welfare you are spot on. But I am sure there are more than a handful of displaced auto line workers that are also.

Regular welfare, too. Turns out the blue states pay the red states in a lot of cases.

40 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Nope. Food stamps. The poorest states in America are the reddest. Look it up.

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Many people do. According to Guido everyone who works in Baltimore works at Micky D’s or Burger King.

You really have to learn to back read a bit.

As I more or less stated earlier.....YES....people do earn a living that is decent....I roughly figure about 2/3rds.

Now the other 1/3rd..well that is another story. Especially the ones that figured out that it is easier and more fiscally and time efficient to sit home an watch Oprah.

Hey.... I thought you put me on mental ignore or whatever. :lol:

5 hours ago, Guido2 said:

While doing some research, I stumbled on some very interesting articles regarding what a minimum wage worker is paid and what a welfare recipient gets. Admittedly the articles are a bit old. MD minimum wage is now 8.75 per hour BUT I doubt welfare has gone down and likely has gone up due to cost of living adjustments.

Read these and weep.

Conducted by the Cato Institute, a think tank headquartered in D.C., the study found that residents on welfare in the District receive the equivalent of $24.43 per hour. Welfare recipients in Maryland get around $18.35 per hour in assistance.

Maryland’s minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. D.C.’s is $8.25. That means welfare recipients in both states receive more than twice as much per hour than someone working a minimum wage job.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/08/22/study-welfare-recipients-in-md-dc-make-more-than-twice-minimum-wage/

In Maryland, a mother with two children participating in seven major welfare programs (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, housing assistance, utility assistance, and free commodities), could receive a package of benefits worth $35,672, the 10th highest in the nation.

It is important to remember that welfare benefits are not taxed, while wages are.

To put that in perspective, that is more than the average entry level salary for a teacher or secretary. In fact, it is more than 94 percent of Maryland's median salary.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-welfare-20130813-story.html

So why work...thoughts?

I work in Baltimore. Have done so most of my career.  I earn a good salary. I am not an idiot. 

2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Nope. Food stamps. The poorest states in America are the reddest. Look it up.

Ahhhhh... don't need to.....that is what I was alluding to when I mentioned the unemployed car/line workers.

Frankly, I find that to be the most perplexing thing about this 'Trump-love'. Ok I get the fact they felt screwed by the goooberment and lashed back....anybody...but the staus quo...but ...DON'T they see how they are the most likely to get screwed by the path the Trump has laid out?

12 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

I work in Baltimore. Have done so most of my career.  I earn a good salary. I am not an idiot. 

I hate to say this spright.

But ...If you (and ken and others) actually read an evaluated what I posted AND the articles. ....AND....got out of defensive 'BC is great' mode.... you would realize that I am not talking or describing YOU. Rather, I am talking about those that have minimal skills or prospects and figured out that it is easier to sit home than to work for min. wage.

And more importantly....what can be done to get them off the couch.

Edited by Guido2

Maybe ask the initial question with fewer words? :)

People work because people have pride and believe in self-determination. That's one reason.

4 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Maybe ask the initial question with fewer words? :)

People work because people have pride and believe in self-determination. That's one reason.

What fewer words are you referring to?

Regardless..............

That is an EXCELLENT point. Most all people do!

However, there is a small segment of BC that has been robbed of that opportunity due to welfare IMHO. Which unfortunately are the root of most of the problems of BC...again ....IMHO.

Edited by Guido2