Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dshawg1

Stanton to Yankees-Done

56 posts in this topic

Per Heyman. Yankees give up little as usual, Marlins get Castro and some lesser prospects is what is being reported.

25 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

Per Heyman. Yankees give up little as usual, Marlins get Castro and some lesser prospects is what is being reported.

It's because the Yankees and Dodgers are the only teams that could afford that contract. Every star player that wants a big payday can get it from only a handful of teams. Other markets cannot take the risk.

2 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

It's because the Yankees and Dodgers are the only teams that could afford that contract. Every star player that wants a big payday can get it from only a handful of teams. Other markets cannot take the risk.

Exactly. There are only a handful of teams that would take on that contract. 

So the Marlins has to know they wouldn’t get much in return. I think their main goal was to get rid of the contract, not get prospects. 

If Sanchez and Judge continue to mash, we are looking at a new Murderers Row in the Bronx. 

Edited by soulflower

5 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Exactly. There are only a handful of teams that would take on that contract. 

So the Marlins has to know they wouldn’t get much in return. I think their main goal was to get rid of the contract, not get prospects. 

If Sanchez and Judge continue to mash, we are looking at a new Murderers Row in the Bronx. 

They will even be more deadly when Machado signs with them next year.

14 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

They will even be more deadly when Machado signs with them next year.

I actually think this move takes them out of the running for Machado or Harper

1 minute ago, soulflower said:

I guess we will see. IMO the Orioles will not trade them and he will walk at the end of the season. He will go to a big-market team capable of paying the big bucks.

The Orioles should trade Manny and blow it up....but they are too inept and dysfunctional. 

Why don’t Tweets embed when you post them from your phone?

Here’s the text:

“A quick recap: Jeter bought the Marlins using mostly other people’s money, completely gutted them, pushed out a bunch of longtime employees, and traded their once-in-a-Generation player to the Yankees.”

Edited by Jimmy Jazz

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

Here’s the text:

“A quick recap: Jeter bought the Marlins using mostly other people’s money, completely gutted them, pushed out a bunch of longtime employees, and traded their once-in-a-Generation player to the Yankees.”

I was able to go to the twitter link and read it. I wonder after the trade is finalize if Jeter will step down - since he was able to get a great player trade to his old team. ;)

1 hour ago, soulflower said:

I think you may be right. With the Yankees reportedly assuming $265 million of the $295 million still due on Stanton's contract, they're going to be hard-pressed to stay under the $197 million luxury tax threshold for 2018. Without Stanton, they almost certainly could have reset their penalty level, which then would have let them go after the 2018 free agent class with relative impunity.

Then again, these are the Yankees.

46 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

I was able to go to the twitter link and read it. I wonder after the trade is finalize if Jeter will step down - since he was able to get a great player trade to his old team. ;)

Kind of reminiscent of Eddie Barrow selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees (not that any of us can actually reminisce it) and then becoming the Yankees' GM.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

Here’s the text:

I usually copy and paste the link to the Tweet and the Forum Embeds it automatically 

It's being reported that the Yankees will only get the $30 million in deferrals from the Marlins if Stanton does not opt out after 2020. I'm curious to see how this is going to be calculated against the luxury tax. 

22 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

It's being reported that the Yankees will only get the $30 million in deferrals from the Marlins if Stanton does not opt out after 2020. I'm curious to see how this is going to be calculated against the luxury tax. 

Honestly it’s nice to know he can Opt out after 3 years just in case he stinks in NY. 

Not everyone excels as a Yankee. NY is a tough town. 

Edited by soulflower

1 hour ago, soulflower said:

Honestly it’s nice to know he can Opt out after 3 years just in case he stinks in NY. 

Not everyone excels as a Yankee. NY is a tough town. 

LOL I think you have that backwards.

If he stinks in NY, there's zero chance he'll opt out. 

22 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

LOL I think you have that backwards.

If he stinks in NY, there's zero chance he'll opt out. 

I get that. My thinking is that if he doesn’t play well the NY fans and media might run him out of town after three years even for less money.

The other extreme is he wins another MVP title or two and opts out of the Yankees for more money. 

Edited by soulflower

8 minutes ago, soulflower said:

I get that. My thinking is that if he doesn’t play well the NY fans and media might run him out of town after three years even for less money.

The other extreme is he wins another MVP title or two and opts out of the Yankees for more money. 

Eh. I suppose that could happen, but the guy's about to get sandwiched into a lineup with Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez. He's set up for success. 

In a perfect world, he helps the Yankees win a World Series and then bolts for more $ in three years once Harper resets the value on players of his caliber. 

5 hours ago, soulflower said:

I agree. Machado will go south to the Marlins or west to LA.

Manny to Miami. I think that's a real possibility.

1 hour ago, EnochRoot said:

Eh. I suppose that could happen, but the guy's about to get sandwiched into a lineup with Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez. He's set up for success. 

In a perfect world, he helps the Yankees win a World Series and then bolts for more $ in three years once Harper resets the value on players of his caliber. 

Don’t get me wrong. I expect him to do well in that lineup.

I’ve just seen the Yankees burned a few times before when big stars they acquire underperform in NY. So 3 years is a good trial period for both Stanton and the Yankees. 

Just now, soulflower said:

Don’t get me wrong. I expect him to do well in that lineup.

I’ve just seen the Yankees burned a few times before when big stars they acquire underperform in NY. So 3 years is a good trial period for both Stanton and the Yankees. 

Well, I can certainly hope that got burned again. :)