Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Buzzcut

“[B]ecause philosophically we don’t participate on the posting part of it.”

16 posts in this topic

The organization is screwed up from the top all the way down as far as fans are concerned.

Don't buy tickets. Don't buy products or use services who advertise with the club. That's about all you can do.

8 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Translated: We don't want to pay the posting fee.

There it is

More than that, though, why would you make that philosophy public? Don’t you want your rivals to think you’re in competition with them in all facets of the game? Don’t you want your fans to think that you’ll stop at nothing to improve the team?

:mellow:

These are some of the same principles that refused to even consider a player option with Dexter Fowler a couple seasons ago. 

"Mediocrity borne of principle!"

Could somebody translate this into good Latin?

Edited by Mr. Buzzcut

Dan isn't really holding back now. Can't blame him. He's probably got one of those paper chains that kids make to count down the days to christmas. Instead he's using it to count down the days until his contract is up. He's basically laying things that he doesn't agree with at the feet of Angelos. "That's an ownership decision".

This team does a lot a lot of stupid stuff out of principle. That's Pete for you.

Dan has lots of philosophies that infect the organization... it's setting them up for another LONG run of "eliminated by the All-Star break" baseball in my opinion.

Some of them seem to be:

• Sign a LOT of pitchers on cheap deals and hope you find some scratch-off lottery ticket winners
  • Quantity of talent over Quality of talent
  • Power over average; Power over speed
  • Prevent pitchers from throwing the pitches or throwing the way they want to; Try to make everyone fit one mold
  • The international scouting market is of little importance
  • Participation in the signing of international players is of little importance
  • And... gripe about their "Guys with track records not producing like they can" to explain their recent team decline

And again... many of those "guys with track records" not producing were acquisitions of the MacPhail era, that led the team back to contention / credibility, and have not been replaced by much in the way of internally developed talent.

7 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

Dan has lots of philosophies that infect the organization... it's setting them up for another LONG run of "eliminated by the All-Star break" baseball in my opinion.

I agree with the post above yours from Pickle20 that this is an Angelos thing, not a Duquette thing. When Duquette was GM of the Red Sox, he signed Tomo Ohka out of Japan. Admittedly that was like 18 years ago and maybe he's had a change in philosophy but I would put my money on Angelos being responsible.

1 hour ago, Ravens2006 said:

Some of them seem to be:

• Sign a LOT of pitchers on cheap deals and hope you find some scratch-off lottery ticket winners
  • Prevent pitchers from throwing the pitches or throwing the way they want to; Try to make everyone fit one mold
  • And... gripe about their "Guys with track records not producing like they can" to explain their recent team decline

And again... many of those "guys with track records" not producing were acquisitions of the MacPhail era, that led the team back to contention / credibility, and have not been replaced by much in the way of internally developed talent.

I know I'm one of the most pro-DD posters on this board. But I think most of these charges fall to other people

When you have an owner who is on record as saying that pitchers aren't worth the investment, it really handcuffs what a GM can do.
    I think this is just another way to phrase the point above. And Pete's attitude still applies.
    That's all Buck's doing.  
    Yep, what a moronic approach to developing pitching - Guilty
    DD brought in Fred Ferreira, an accomplished and respected international scout
    Like the point above, the team's apathy toward the int'l market is widely reported to be an edict from Peter 
    I don't really have anything to say about this one. Other than, it's true :D

On 12/12/2017 at 0:00 AM, mdrunning said:

Translated: We don't want to pay the posting fee.

Paraphrase: the owner is cheap.

15 hours ago, pitbull said:

Paraphrase: the owner is cheap.

He's always been cheap, except for when he isnt, ie Chris Davis.

He's cheap but he's also not smart with his money.

On 12/13/2017 at 10:35 AM, Jimmy Jazz said:

I agree with the post above yours from Pickle20 that this is an Angelos thing, not a Duquette thing. When Duquette was GM of the Red Sox, he signed Tomo Ohka out of Japan. Admittedly that was like 18 years ago and maybe he's had a change in philosophy but I would put my money on Angelos being responsible.

I just keep coming back to the fact that DD acquired Perdo Martinez, not once, but twice, in his career.  I keep telling myself that this nonsense just has to come from someone in a position above his.