Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
franksykes

Where are all the rumor threads out of the Winter Meetings

18 posts in this topic

Did I miss a rule or something that there would be no post about the rumblings that involve this organization that we know wont come true from the winter meetings?

So I just saw a post from Ken Rosenthal that we are shopping Machado, who now wants to play SS. Why again cant we pay him?

I think there just isn't much to report. It's only the start of day 2, but for the most part DD has only talked about the things the team isn't going to do.

1) They aren't offering more than a 2 year deal to any FA starting pitcher

2) They aren't going to take on a salary dump from any other team (AKA, not trading for any established, impact players who are owned money over multiple years)

4 hours ago, franksykes said:

So I just saw a post from Ken Rosenthal that we are shopping Machado, who now wants to play SS. Why again cant we pay him?

You know why. It's named Angelos. But if they can get a couple of talented starters for him, the deal's worth doing.

I suspect this is one of those vapor deals, though. They float rumors to the press to make it look like they're doing something and they're not indifferent to everything except how much cash is rolling in.

1 minute ago, Evil Yoda said:

You know why. It's named Angelos. But if they can get a couple of talented starters for him, the deal's worth doing.

I suspect this is one of those vapor deals, though. They float rumors to the press to make it look like they're doing something and they're not indifferent to everything except how much cash is rolling in.

Perhaps you're closer to the truth than you realize. 

I mean, why on earth would the Orioles announce they won't negotiate with the New York Yankees (one of the best systems in the game) if they're serious about trading him? It seems to me that if this were legit, they'd have no problem seeing if the Yankees could help inflate the market for Machado. 

Odd, innit?

1 minute ago, EnochRoot said:

Perhaps you're closer to the truth than you realize. 

I mean, why on earth would the Orioles announce they won't negotiate with the New York Yankees (one of the best systems in the game) if they're serious about trading him? It seems to me that if this were legit, they'd have no problem seeing if the Yankees could help inflate the market for Machado. 

Odd, innit?

Speaking purely hypothetically...

There are generally two reasons why someone might reveal tactics.

One is that he isn't very talented, and it is a mistake. Given that Duquette has been around awhile, I'll rate this one "unlikely".

The other is that a subordinate has been directed to a course of action he disagrees with. If he is skilled enough, he knows what to reveal, and how to reveal it, to sabotage what he's trying to do. The trick, of course, is to keep the boss for figuring out that's what he did. That takes either subtlety, or a boss who's disconnected or far less knowledgeable. When the boss didn't hold the subordinate's job at some prior time, this is much easier to do, because the boss doesn't know the subordinate's job except in broad strokes. Or, the subordinate knows he won't be with the organization much longer, or dislikes his boss so much (perhaps because his boss sabotaged his attempt at a better job), that he doesn't care if the boss realizes what he's doing.

You pick. Or offer your own explanation.

7 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Kinsler to Anaheim

For two low-level prospects. The Tigers are clearing payroll and the fact that Anaheim was willing to pick up the full tab for Kinsler probably cinched the deal.

Orioles sign a AA/AAA pitcher and draft 3 pitchers from rule 5.  That's your big O's winter meeting headlines.  Yeah, no need for a thread for that garbage.

On 12/12/2017 at 11:22 AM, franksykes said:

Nah, Big Dan and Peter Angelos don’t believe in locking up young talent that happens to be a once-in-a-generation player.

1 hour ago, pitbull said:

Nah, Big Dan and Peter Angelos don’t believe in locking up young talent that happens to be a once-in-a-generation player.

Bryce Harper? Maybe "Big Mike" and "Big" Ted don't believe in it, either.

Edited by mdrunning

Only the Orioles would shell out too much money for a bum (Davis) but won't pony up for a potential Hall Of Fame talent (Machado). :(

From the not a rumor file....

So far it looks like Duquette has managed to trade away several lower value pieces that turned in solid seasons as major league starting pitchers elsewhere, kept the free agents who have mostly tanked after re-signing, let some get away who continued to produce, and is on the verge of possibly getting almost nothing for two guys who a year ago were Grade A high value trade pieces...

Ugh...