dshawg1

Sounds like DD is more willing to trade Manny suddenly...

255 posts in this topic

From Connolly:

The bottom line with Machado is this: Duquette sounds more likely that he will deal away Machado than he ever has. That’s a significant development. Whether they do or not is a completely different story. But the wheels are definitely turning.

I think they need to for the long-term benefit of the franchise. I hope he does and Angelos "approves". Be great for the competitiveness of the team. Trade Britton and Brach too.

I know a lot of my casual baseball fans are upset about Manny leaving, but it's inevitable. Gotta get more than a compensation pick. IF we hadn't signed Davis (which word is was all Angelos)...then maybe we could have done it. Actually we probably could have but what is done is done...

Also, forgot to mention that Duquette acknowledged there has been NO NEGOTIATIONS with Manny since it was explored 2 years ago.

Writing on the wall...

Seeing all kind of news/ rumors out there as well. Will be a complete organizational failure if the Orioles lose Machado. Players like Manny only come around once in a generation, if that and he’s about to hit his prime. 

I won’t argue with the fact that it’s best to trade him rather than lose him to free agency and get nothing in return. But that’s not the bigger issue. They never should’ve gotten to this point with Manny. Did they even try to work out a long term extension with him?  Probably not, meanwhile they signed a bunch of bloated idiotic contracts and are now in a position where they either can’t afford Machado or can’t justify signing him to a super star deal.  Lack of strategy, lack of foresight, lack of pretty much anything beneficial to keeping a superstar player about to hit his prime in your system. This organization is a complete mess. 

If they lose Manny whether it’s through a trade or free agency I may be done with this team until Angelos, Duquette and Buck are all gone. 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

PAY HIM! Try trading Davis and Trumbo first (giving teams some $$$).

It will kill summer attendance. 

It will cause a big increase in colon cancer in Baltimore because the O's, Jim Hunter etc. will be blowing so much smoke up the fans butts on why the trade was wonderful! 

1 hour ago, johnpolitics said:

PAY HIM! Try trading Davis and Trumbo first (giving teams some $$$).

It will kill summer attendance. 

It will cause a big increase in colon cancer in Baltimore because the O's, Jim Hunter etc. will be blowing so much smoke up the fans butts on why the trade was wonderful! 

Angelos likes Davis so much he bid against himself to get him. I see little chance he'll be moved, even if they were able to brainwash someone into taking on that toxic contract. Trumbo will have even fewer suitors.

2 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

Angelos likes Davis so much he bid against himself to get him. I see little chance he'll be moved, even if they were able to brainwash someone into taking on that toxic contract. Trumbo will have even fewer suitors.

All started with not just resigning Cruz. Such ineptitude.

5 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Seeing all kind of news/ rumors out there as well. Will be a complete organizational failure if the Orioles lose Machado. Players like Manny only come around once in a generation, if that and he’s about to hit his prime. 

I won’t argue with the fact that it’s best to trade him rather than lose him to free agency and get nothing in return. But that’s not the bigger issue. They never should’ve gotten to this point with Manny. Did they even try to work out a long term extension with him?  Probably not, meanwhile they signed a bunch of bloated idiotic contracts and are now in a position where they either can’t afford Machado or can’t justify signing him to a super star deal.  Lack of strategy, lack of foresight, lack of pretty much anything beneficial to keeping a superstar player about to hit his prime in your system. This organization is a complete mess. 

If they lose Manny whether it’s through a trade or free agency I may be done with this team until Angelos, Duquette and Buck are all gone. 

Those are answers we''ll likely never know, and as a result, blame can be assigned pretty much wherever one chooses.

You could always trade him and the try to re sign him in the offseason. But we know that ain't happening either.

Look, the O's are sinking back into darkness. It all starts with ownership, and Pete is likely going to have to hire a new GM and maybe even a manager next offseason. So it's hard to believe all that occurs while trying to re sign Manny.

Manny leaving is all but a fact at this point. People need to wake up to that realiztion. He'll be a Yankee too.

So you might as well get as much as you can from the Yankees, or some other team, while you still can.

Edited by Pickle20

I'm not sure where I read this, but it seems the extension negotiations stalled with both sides being $9M apart from each other. I assume they meant $9M total, and not off by $9M/yr. So you have a once in a generation talent, whose willing to work with you, and you walk away from the table because he wants $9M more than you want to give?

Yet you caved to the one dimensional Davis when he demanded $6.5M more :huh:

Penny wise, Pound foolish

9 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I'm not sure where I read this, but it seems the extension negotiations stalled with both sides being $9M apart from each other. I assume they meant $9M total, and not off by $9M/yr. So you have a once in a generation talent, whose willing to work with you, and you walk away from the table because he wants $9M more than you want to give?

Yet you caved to the one dimensional Davis when he demanded $6.5M more :huh:

Penny wise, Pound foolish

You have to think that it was $9 million a year. As incompetent and bullish as the Orioles can be, even I don't think they would have let $9 million total stand in the way of locking him up.

If Manny becomes a Yankee, I'm done with baseball as a whole, period.

45 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

You have to think that it was $9 million a year. As incompetent and bullish as the Orioles can be, even I don't think they would have let $9 million total stand in the way of locking him up.

I found something on that story. Keeping in mind that we'll probably never know for sure, John Heyman (who I personally respect and trust) said it was $8-9M total. 

“The Orioles are said by sources to have come “within $8 million or $9 million” of locking him up a couple years back, though one person familiar with those talks said the offer was for “well below $100 million,” and that person suggested he didn’t believe the sides were especially close to a deal. However, it seems Machado’s side might have made some sort of counteroffer to stay, or at least provided parameters, since sources are suggesting the gap ($8 million to $9 million) existed.”

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/09/22/report-baltimore-orioles-manny-machado-contract-extension/

27 minutes ago, alienrace said:

If Manny becomes a Yankee, I'm done with baseball as a whole, period.

I think they’re just kicking the tires for now

I don’t think the Yanks will trade for Manny. They have a bit of a glut of infielder prospects right now

Signing Stanton, especially given their quest to get out from under the luxury tax (which clearly isn't punitive enough) tends to take them out of the Machado/Harper/Trout race, I'd think. We'll see, I guess.

One thing the Orioles have taught me, sadly, is that if there is an organizational mistake to be made here, a terrible idea, they will discover and execute it with relentless effort and chilling precision. :)

34 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Signing Stanton, especially given their quest to get out from under the luxury tax (which clearly isn't punitive enough) tends to take them out of the Machado/Harper/Trout race, I'd think. We'll see, I guess.

One thing the Orioles have taught me, sadly, is that if there is an organizational mistake to be made here, a terrible idea, they will discover and execute it with relentless effort and chilling precision. :)

LOL, so true :D

35 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

I agree.

I think the Yankees are mentioned in every Trade rumor just to drive up the price

6 minutes ago, soulflower said:

I agree.

I think the Yankees are mentioned in every Trade rumor just to drive up the price

Baseball writers are extremely lazy also.

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

I found something on that story. Keeping in mind that we'll probably never know for sure, John Heyman (who I personally respect and trust) said it was $8-9M total. 

“The Orioles are said by sources to have come “within $8 million or $9 million” of locking him up a couple years back, though one person familiar with those talks said the offer was for “well below $100 million,” and that person suggested he didn’t believe the sides were especially close to a deal. However, it seems Machado’s side might have made some sort of counteroffer to stay, or at least provided parameters, since sources are suggesting the gap ($8 million to $9 million) existed.”

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/09/22/report-baltimore-orioles-manny-machado-contract-extension/

The key point there just might be "a couple years back".  Like maybe before the Davis signing and the advertised numbers for Trout and Harper started being broadcast. If true, and the gap was as this article guesses, the team blew it big time.

Another thought. Was that "couple years ago" just after his knee injury?

10 minutes ago, Struds said:

The key point there just might be "a couple years back".  Like maybe before the Davis signing and the advertised numbers for Trout and Harper started being broadcast. If true, and the gap was as this article guesses, the team blew it big time.

Another thought. Was that "couple years ago" just after his knee injury?

It was after the second surgery, the pre-preemptive one. 

2 minutes ago, weird-O said:

It was after the second surgery, the pre-preemptive one. 

So well before the Davis signing; the annual numbers may very well have been in the neighborhood of what Davis is getting. That would have been a bargain. But, once Davis got that much, Manny absolutely had to be worth far more - even if Davis had produced better than he has.   

1 hour ago, Struds said:

So well before the Davis signing; the annual numbers may very well have been in the neighborhood of what Davis is getting. That would have been a bargain. But, once Davis got that much, Manny absolutely had to be worth far more - even if Davis had produced better than he has.   

True, that's how inflation works in baseball. That Davis contract threw this team into it's tailspin. Thanks Buck

DD did an interview today, in which he said the O's would trade Manny to the Yankees. It was a specific comment within the broader comment that the team is looking at the full range of options (related to trading him) by definition, that would include NY. 

I'm going to take that with a grain of salt. Pete has a real disliking for the Yanks, I would have to see that trade to believe it.