dshawg1

Sounds like DD is more willing to trade Manny suddenly...

255 posts in this topic

Trading him to NY or Boston would pretty much end my interest in the team.  Unforgivable.

13 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Trading him to NY or Boston would pretty much end my interest in the team.  Unforgivable.

He's going to NY next year anyway. Wouldn't you rather get some good prospects for him now?

58 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

He's going to NY next year anyway. Wouldn't you rather get some good prospects for him now?

If NY is set on signing him in FA, chances are they won't give up anything too good.  Either way, making your high payroll division rivals better even for a season signals that the season is a joke and there's no point in following.

I'm not sure why so many folks think Manny is going to sign with NY when he's a FA. I don't know of any connection or longing that he has to be a Yankee. If it is his preferred destination, and they offer the best return for him, then so be it. It's up to the O's to be as good, or better, than the other teams in the division. Do that, and we have nothing to worry about. If they can't do that, does it really matter whose wearing the other teams' laundry? former Orioles or not? 

While it would piss me off to no end and maybe cause me to throw a tantrum NY and Bos seem to be the best places to get the best haul of we trade him 

Now excuse me while i vomitat this notion

3 hours ago, weird-O said:

DD did an interview today, in which he said the O's would trade Manny to the Yankees. It was a specific comment within the broader comment that the team is looking at the full range of options (related to trading him) by definition, that would include NY. 

I'm going to take that with a grain of salt. Pete has a real disliking for the Yanks, I would have to see that trade to believe it.

Agreed. Unfortunately he had to clarify this because apparently Angelos had it announced his own version of a NTC, and it included one team in particular. 

Several Teams Have Reportedly Made Offers For Manny Machado

By Steve Adams | December 13, 2017 at 6:30pm CDT

WEDNESDAY, 6:30pm: Several teams have made formal trade offers for Machado, Jon Heyman of FanRag tweets. The Yankees’ chances of landing him are near zero, a source told Joel Sherman of the New York Post. It seems the Yankees would want to include Jacoby Ellsbury in a a Machado deal to help them stay under the competitive-balance tax threshold, but Sherman doubts he’d waive his no-trade clause to go to Baltimore (Twitter link).

4:33pm:The Orioles are “making good progress” toward a Machado trade, Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com reports, though Dan Connolly of BaltimoreBaseball.com writes that a deal doesn’t appear imminent. There are more than five teams in the running for Machado, Ghiroli adds. The Orioles met with a “couple” of those teams Wednesday, per Encina. Notably, Duquette hasn’t dismissed trading Machado to another AL East team, Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com relays (all Twitter links here).

1 hour ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Is Gurley an O’s fan? If so, why lol 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

33 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

He was born in Baltimore and grew up in NC but guess bc they didn’t have a team...

35 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

That answer may be discovered with a quick perusal of his Wikipedia page. :)

2 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

He was born in Baltimore and grew up in NC but guess bc they didn’t have a team...

You stole my thunder! :)

41 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

Certainly makes sense thanks 

On 12/12/2017 at 7:40 PM, BayAreaBmore said:

Seeing all kind of news/ rumors out there as well. Will be a complete organizational failure if the Orioles lose Machado. Players like Manny only come around once in a generation, if that and he’s about to hit his prime. 

I won’t argue with the fact that it’s best to trade him rather than lose him to free agency and get nothing in return. But that’s not the bigger issue. They never should’ve gotten to this point with Manny. Did they even try to work out a long term extension with him?  Probably not, meanwhile they signed a bunch of bloated idiotic contracts and are now in a position where they either can’t afford Machado or can’t justify signing him to a super star deal.  Lack of strategy, lack of foresight, lack of pretty much anything beneficial to keeping a superstar player about to hit his prime in your system. This organization is a complete mess. 

If they lose Manny whether it’s through a trade or free agency I may be done with this team until Angelos, Duquette and Buck are all gone. 

Could not have said it better

39 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

That answer may be discovered with a quick perusal of his Wikipedia page. :)

Haha yeah I was gonna check there but was on the go 

15 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

Could not have said it better

I’m getting pretty frustrated with the state of things. I have zero confidence that even if they trade Manny that they’ll get players that will one day make significant contributions either b/c they choose the wrong players/ prospects or fail to develop them.

Manny is about to hit his prime, sells tickets and is a once in a generation player. The Orioles should be able to make it work for him in Baltimore.  

It’s not often a franchise decides to part with a lock for a hall of fame career.

I wonder if it’s a weird effort to get him to the bargaining table

18 minutes ago, BayAreaBmore said:

I’m getting pretty frustrated with the state of things. I have zero confidence that even if they trade Manny that they’ll get players that will one day make significant contributions either b/c they choose the wrong players/ prospects or fail to develop them.

Manny is about to hit his prime, sells tickets and is a once in a generation player. The Orioles should be able to make it work for him in Baltimore.  

You can kiss schoop goodbye as well

9 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

But if one or more teams are automatically eliminated as potential trade partners, the only team the Orioles would be hurting is themselves. You don't want to diminish the trade market; the more teams that are involved, the better the return is likely to be.

Edited by mdrunning

1 hour ago, JoyinMudville said:

It’s not often a franchise decides to part with a lock for a hall of fame career.

Thought about that as well. Just not sure the Orioles front office is smart/ tactical enough to pull something like that off effectively 

1 hour ago, JoyinMudville said:

To the contrary, I would say it's happened more times than perhaps people realize. The PIrates with Barry Bonds, the Marlins with Miguel Cabrera, Seattle with both A-Rod and Griffey, Jr. are just a few that I can cite off the top of my head. Granted, most of the guys I've named weren't traded, but there was a conscious decision on the part of their respective teams to let them walk away into free agency, so the effect is pretty much the same.

Nothing's going to get Manny to the bargaining table at this point; he has no reason to negotiate and several hundred million reasons not to.

Edited by mdrunning

15 hours ago, alienrace said:

If Manny becomes a Yankee, I'm done with baseball as a whole, period.

I think the emotions of the fans have to be taken into consideration. Hell, there are still people in Baltimore who are bitter over Mike Mussina leaving for the Yankees. It's a legitimate concern and the Orioles would be fools to simply ignore it.

It is Duquette's job, however, to get the best return for Machado, whether it's the Yankees or not. Winning has to be put ahead of raw emotion.

15 hours ago, weird-O said:

I found something on that story. Keeping in mind that we'll probably never know for sure, John Heyman (who I personally respect and trust) said it was $8-9M total. 

“The Orioles are said by sources to have come “within $8 million or $9 million” of locking him up a couple years back, though one person familiar with those talks said the offer was for “well below $100 million,” and that person suggested he didn’t believe the sides were especially close to a deal. However, it seems Machado’s side might have made some sort of counteroffer to stay, or at least provided parameters, since sources are suggesting the gap ($8 million to $9 million) existed.”

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/09/22/report-baltimore-orioles-manny-machado-contract-extension/

Jon Heyman is a well-sourced writer, so I'm inclined to think there's more than a modicum of truth to this.

The talks supposedly occurred sometime between Manny's first and second years with the Orioles, and Heyman even admitted that he didn't know exactly what killed the deal, if the two sides were indeed close. He did add, however, that a seven-year deal with Manny seemed imminent at the time. Realistically, however, if a deal was reached after Manny's first full season, it wouldn't have accomplished much more than deferring Manny's right to walk for one year. 

Unfortunately, the article which I've referenced has been removed. This link provides only a brief synopsis.