dshawg1

Sounds like DD is more willing to trade Manny suddenly...

255 posts in this topic

Omg-I was worried about this. Listen, Gioloto (who the Nats traded for Adam Eaton) is garbage. There is a reason the Nats were willing to get rid of him so quickly. Unlike the Orioles, the Nats are very good at evaluating their SP talent. 

If Gioloto is a corner piece of a trade for Manny-the Orioles are morons. Beware.

6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

But if one or more teams are automatically eliminated as potential trade partners, the only team the Orioles would be hurting is themselves. You don't want to diminish the trade market; the more teams that are involved, the better the return is likely to be.

That's all fine, the Orioles just shouldn't be surprised when the team loses more and more support.

19 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

That's all fine, the Orioles just shouldn't be surprised when the team loses more and more support.

The backlash for trading Manny will be awful. Will fans even attend the O's fanfest?

3 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

The backlash for trading Manny will be awful. Will fans even attend the O's fanfest?

Do people go now?  I used to go when it was in the spring but stopped when they switched it to January.  Nothing says baseball like cold weather.

6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

To the contrary, I would say it's happened more times than perhaps people realize. The PIrates with Barry Bonds, the Marlins with Miguel Cabrera, Seattle with both A-Rod and Griffey, Jr. are just a few that I can cite off the top of my head. Granted, most of the guys I've named weren't traded, but there was a conscious decision on the part of their respective teams to let them walk away into free agency, so the effect is pretty much the same.

Nothing's going to get Manny to the bargaining table at this point; he has no reason to negotiate and several hundred million reasons not to.

I don't know... I was DD and Angelos I would have waited to see Manny play one full season healthy and then I would have made the hard sell. If he spends the majority of his career in an Orioles uniform he's going to be the fifth statue on the Eutaw Street Plaza. I would have had Brooks, Cal, Eddie, and Jim Palmer tell him how great Baltimore has been for them. I would have gotten the frickin Mayor to call him.

Having failed that and looking at this lineup, bullpen, infield defense, and a rotation of Bundy, Tillman, Gausman, I wouldn't be entertaining trade offers, I would be dropping money on the top free agent pitcher available and I'd be all in for this year. And then I'd consider trading a big chunk of the farm for a top of the tier pitcher.

After that, I'd tell Manny that I want him, Schoop, Mancin, and Ciscoi as the O's 2,3,4,5 hitters and core of the team for the next decade and I'd pay whatever it takes to make that happen. The butts in the seats would more than pay for it.

But, what do I know.

On Gioloto (please Orioles, don't be morons):

Perhaps the most obvious takeaway of the past few days is how quickly and thoroughly the Nationals had soured on Giolito, who is still listed in some places as the third-best prospect in baseball even though anyone who watched him pitch in the majors this year couldn’t possibly reconcile that status with what they saw. Prospects take time, of course, but Giolito’s stuff fell off to an alarming degree. My regret, from late in the season, is that I didn’t more thoroughly examine what was going on here, especially when one Nationals official said succinctly, “He’s not going to be what I thought he was going to be.”

So what became clear to nearly everyone at the winter meetings was that the Nationals were going to move Giolito. His value, of course, would have been higher six months ago. But then, his performance hadn’t fallen off by that point. We’ll watch what he becomes in Chicago. But the Nationals aren’t particularly concerned that he’ll be an ace. The bigger problem would have been holding on to him, seeing his performance suffer further, and watching his trade value fully dissolve.

Couple of thoughts on Machado - 

The players the O's should be taking away from the White Sox for Machado would be Moncada and either Kopech or Rutherford. 

And how the bleep did the Orioles bungle his service time like that? 5.05 years?! What'd they do, lose a year's worth of services by calling him up a week too early?

Just now, EnochRoot said:

The players the O's should be taking away from the White Sox for Machado would be Moncada and either Kopech or Rutherford. 

And how the bleep did the Orioles bungle his service time like that? 5.05 years?! What'd they do, lose a year's worth of services by calling him up a week too early?

Yes, but it was an acceptable decision. They were in the post season hunt, and calling up Manny was a better decision than overpaying SD to get Headley, who had his career year in 2012. It's also necessary to point out that DD doesn't think long term. He acts at the last minute and his decisions are based on the immediate. 

7 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Yes, but it was an acceptable decision. They were in the post season hunt, and calling up Manny was a better decision than overpaying SD to get Headley, who had his career year in 2012. It's also necessary to point out that DD doesn't think long term. He acts at the last minute and his decisions are based on the immediate. 

Yeah, I guess that would make sense. Thanks!

1 hour ago, EnochRoot said:

Sounds like the Sox want to flip Manny to the Yanks for better prospects.  Fleece the O's then mark up the price on Manny.  All because Pete doesn't want to deal with yanks.

5 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Sounds like the Sox want to flip Manny to the Yanks for better prospects.  Fleece the O's then mark up the price on Manny.  All because Pete doesn't want to deal with yanks.

As a Yankee fan this pleases me

As a Baltimore resident, it saddens me that the Orioles are so mismanaged. They make it difficult to root for the Home team

Now that'd be something! :lol:

Question: what are your thoughts if, say the Mets offered up deGrom and a decent SP prospect, say Marcos Molina? They might think that this is Machado's backdoor into the NYC market, and he'd become more amenable to an extension?

It sounds like the White Sox are loaded with young talent, so I'm OK with that deal if DD holds out for a bundle.  Then I could care less if they flip Manny to the Yanks.  He'll be there in 2019 anyway.  Then sign Moustakas to play third.  That could keep Buck happy, :D

1 minute ago, soulflower said:

As a Yankee fan this pleases me

As a Baltimore resident, it saddens me that the Orioles are so mismanaged. They make it difficult to root for the Home team

Yep

It's clear that the Orioles renaissance has come to an end. Oh well...

And that's the effect the Angelos ownership group has had on me (and I'm sure I'm not alone). They've taken one of the few things in my life, that I was deeply passionate about, and taught me how to be utterly indifferent to it.   

White Sox have 10 players in the top 100 prospects in baseball.  Holy cow, they are stacked.  they have like 4 pitchers in the top 40.   A couple look to be ML ready.  Exactly what they O's need.  Get two of those and then sign Moustakas for third and we are a way better team than last year. And we should still have 30 to 40 mil to spend as Moustakas should cost less than the 17mil Manny was to get for 2018.

Latest from mlbtraderumors says O's looking to flip some of the prospect chips from Machado deal to Royals for Danny Duffy!   Ha, DD/Buck don't need no stinking rebuild for 2018!!!

You just know the chances of the O's making all these related moves are really slim.  King Pete will move as fast a glacier.  If he moves at all.  He is completely infuriating.  I really wonder why I even bother following this team with him as the owner.

11 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

You just know the chances of the O's making all these related moves are really slim.  King Pete will move as fast a glacier.  If he moves at all.  He is completely infuriating.  I really wonder why I even bother following this team with him as the owner.

Habit, it's all just habit. 

30 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

White Sox have 10 players in the top 100 prospects in baseball.  Holy cow, they are stacked.  they have like 4 pitchers in the top 40.   A couple look to be ML ready.  Exactly what they O's need.  Get two of those and then sign Moustakas for third and we are a way better team than last year. And we should still have 30 to 40 mil to spend as Moustakas should cost less than the 17mil Manny was to get for 2018.

From the reports that Dshawg has commented on, Chi isn't going to part with any blue chippers. And the O's org is no place for a former highly touted pitching prospect that appears to have peaked. 

13 minutes ago, weird-O said:

From the reports that Dshawg has commented on, Chi isn't going to part with any blue chippers. And the O's org is no place for a former highly touted pitching prospect that appears to have peaked. 

Melewski reported on MASN that RHP Kopech was part of their package.  He is their no. 2 prospect and no. 10 overall.  Throws a 100mph.  He was the jewel of the Sale deal.  Gammons, a noted Red Sox homer, predicted Kopeck as a future Cy Young winner. 

2 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Melewski reported on MASN that RHP Kopech was part of their package.  He is their no. 2 prospect and no. 10 overall.  Throws a 100mph.  He was the jewel of the Sale deal.  Gammons, a noted Red Sox homer, predicted Kopeck as a future Cy Young winner. 

I hope Melewski is right. If this trade happens, it better include a near MLB ready pitcher

Just now, weird-O said:

I hope Melewski is right. If this trade happens, it better include a near MLB ready pitcher

I was getting ready to edit my post.  He said it was either Kopech or Giallto, but not both.  Gialltto MLB ready, but Kopech has the huge upside and is close.  Watch us flip Kopech for Duffy.  A future ace for a number 3 starter.  All in the name of going for it in 2018 in DD and Buck's swan song.