Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2018 Inductees

18 posts in this topic

NBC News: Bon Jovi, Nina Simone lead class of Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees - http://nbcnews.to/2Agu01x

Bon Jovi, Moody Blues, Dire Straits, The Cars, Nina Simone

Good list, should be a show in April 

Someone named Rosetta Tharp, from decades ago, will go in as an early influence, as well.

Rick Otcasek (professionally known as Ocasek), frontman of the Cars, was born and grew up here. He got to marry a supermodel. :)

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

Someone named Rosetta Tharp, from decades ago, will go in as an early influence, as well.

Rick Otcasek (professionally known as Ocasek), frontman of the Cars, was born and grew up here. He got to marry a supermodel. :)

For my daughters 10th birthday I took her to the inner harbor for an ice cream cone IN 1989.  As were were walking through Harbor Place my daughter said"Dad look".  There was Rick looking through some albums or something, but was easily recognizable from MTV in the late 80's.  "Dad... go ask him for an autograph"  No babe... if you want an autograph you ask him for it.  She thought for a minute then said "lets go for the ice cream". We didn't take five steps when she turned around and marched into the record store and I stood and watched as my 10 year old was talking with the singer in the Cars.  I was outside of the store looking in as Rick took out a sharpie pen and wrote a very nice personal note to my daughter on her T-Shirt then shook her hand.  I was very proud of her and she was too.  It wasn't till after we got home that I realized the very small plain looking young lady that I was standing next to watching this happen was... Paulina!

26 minutes ago, workerbee said:

For my daughters 10th birthday I took her to the inner harbor for an ice cream cone IN 1989.  As were were walking through Harbor Place my daughter said"Dad look".  There was Rick looking through some albums or something, but was easily recognizable from MTV in the late 80's.  "Dad... go ask him for an autograph"  No babe... if you want an autograph you ask him for it.  She thought for a minute then said "lets go for the ice cream". We didn't take five steps when she turned around and marched into the record store and I stood and watched as my 10 year old was talking with the singer in the Cars.  I was outside of the store looking in as Rick took out a sharpie pen and wrote a very nice personal note to my daughter on her T-Shirt then shook her hand.  I was very proud of her and she was too.  It wasn't till after we got home that I realized the very small plain looking young lady that I was standing next to watching this happen was... Paulina!

Very cool story workerbee! :)

Just now, PinkFlamingo said:

Very cool story workerbee! :)

Thanks. He was very sweet to my daughter and they talked for several minutes.  

5 hours ago, Dinglehopper said:

I never got the Bon Jovi thing.

Thank you for your comment. 

No one cares. 

I'm not a big fan of the R&R HOF. Their induction voting process is terrible. 

In my opinion (and it's just that, nothing more) an artist should be considered for induction, based on their influence and impact on music. Bon Jovi for example, has certainly been a popular band. But it's difficult to articulate how they influenced the music of their time, or beyond. They were a popular act,  but they didn't forge a sound or play a groundbreaking roll in the hair band music scene. Are there bands today, or Bon Jovi contemporaries, that cite them as a major influence? 

Again, there are no guidelines or standards that form the induction process. An eligible artist is basically at the mercy and whims of Jann Wenner. So one could argue for the induction of a Kentucky pine tree, and have just as much merit as an argument against Bon Jovi.  

BonJovi has been continually active for 35 years  

from Bonjovi.com

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame announced this morning that Bon Jovi will be inducted in 2018! With over one million votes, Bon Jovi also won the fan vote.

10 hours ago, weird-O said:

Again, there are no guidelines or standards that form the induction process. An eligible artist is basically at the mercy and whims of Jann Wenner. So one could argue for the induction of a Kentucky pine tree, and have just as much merit as an argument against Bon Jovi.  

Jann Wenner's influence is profound. He almost single-handedly kept Rush out for years.

I'd argue that any group which is hugely popular almost by definition has an influence on music, because music executives go looking for groups that copy popular groups' sound. You can see this effect in how many bands sound alike until someone talented enough to buck the trend appears - and is likewise copied.

I'd also argue that any band which has a huge body of work has the potential to inspire future musicians.

And cynically, I'd note that the Rock 'n' Roll HoF must cater to tourists who are its customers. They go there expecting to see their favorite mega-act on the walls somewhere. That alone is going to get some bands inducted.

Voting for any Hall of Fame is somewhat subjective, because it is difficult to reduce "excellence" to a set of criteria in all non-trivial professions. There are arguments over induction into Canton and Cooperstown, too.

Edited by Evil Yoda

14 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

Jann Wenner's influence is profound. He almost single-handedly kept Rush out for years.

I'd argue that any group which is hugely popular almost by definition has an influence on music, because music executives go looking for groups that copy popular groups' sound. You can see this effect in how many bands sound alike until someone talented enough to buck the trend appears - and is likewise copied.

I'd also argue that any band which has a huge body of work has the potential to inspire future musicians.

And cynically, I'd note that the Rock 'n' Roll HoF must cater to tourists who are its customers. They go there expecting to see their favorite mega-act on the walls somewhere. That alone is going to get some bands inducted.

Voting for any Hall of Fame is somewhat subjective, because it is difficult to reduce "excellence" to a set of criteria in all non-trivial professions. There are arguments over induction into Canton and Cooperstown, too.

All good points

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, weird-O said:

In my opinion (and it's just that, nothing more) an artist should be considered for induction, based on their influence and impact on music. Bon Jovi for example, has certainly been a popular band. But it's difficult to articulate how they influenced the music of their time, or beyond. They were a popular act,  but they didn't forge a sound or play a groundbreaking roll in the hair band music scene. Are there bands today, or Bon Jovi contemporaries, that cite them as a major influence? 

Good point.  When I think of some of the major influences on rock and roll, I always think of Nina Simone and Sister Rosetta Tharpe.    

6 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Good point.  When I think of some of the major influences on rock and roll, I always think of Nina Simone and Sister Rosetta Tharpe.    

I agree. But I also agree with Yoda, it can be difficult to codify artistic expression. 

4 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

I’ve never heard of Sister Rosetta Tharpe

2 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Despite her pending induction into the Hall of Fame, I don't think you're in the minority.  I doubt anyone other than a musicologist specializing in that field of music could even name a song she did without looking it up or hum the melody if asked. 

Edited by Ode2Joy

17 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

On 12/28/2017 at 10:53 AM, weird-O said:

When Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five were inducted, it was no longer the rock and roll HOF.