Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tooldtocare

An unjust tax that should never have been levied!!

28 posts in this topic

When you tip you waitress at a restraint you may think this money goes to her/him but no; Not so~~~

Government taxes this tip giving him/her even less

This “tax” should be abolished!!

What say you?

1 hour ago, tooldtocare said:

When you tip you waitress at a restraint you may think this money goes to her/him but no; Not so~~~

What say you?

That's why people tip in cash.

Or used to, when they carried cash.

1 hour ago, Rocketwolf said:

I always tip in cash even if I pay with a card.

This is what I do, as well. The server can then decide whether the government should get its due. Technically they're supposed to track and declare that. How many actually do, I don't know.

Relatively few Marylanders pay use taxes when they buy from a vendor out of state. Indeed, William Schaefer (as comptroller) drew public ire years ago when he had state police intercept furniture deliveries from places like South Carolina so Maryland could assess use taxes on them.

People in restraints get waiter/waitress service?  Cool! B)

35 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

People in restraints get waiter/waitress service?  Cool! B)

They can't feed themselves, only makes sense there is someone to help them.

14 hours ago, Rocketwolf said:

Yup same here... always tip in cash

14 hours ago, Rocketwolf said:

Amen!

16 hours ago, tooldtocare said:

What say you?

From what I read, unless they made  changes with the recent revisions, under the Republican tax plan, employers will be able to take all the tips as long as they pay their waiters/waitresses minimum wage.

57 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

From what I read, unless they made  changes with the recent revisions, under the Republican tax plan, employers will be able to take all the tips as long as they pay their waiters/waitresses minimum wage.

You auditioning for CNN? ;)  https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/12/14/570927260/trump-administration-proposes-rule-that-could-change-distribution-of-tips

"Cooks historically and even today have always received the short end of the stick in terms of the tip world," said Kurt Huffman, who runs more than two dozen restaurants in Portland, Ore.    Kitchen workers in his restaurants earn starting wages of about $13.50 an hour. With tips, servers can earn two or three times as much.

"But under current federal rules, any such tip sharing with kitchen staff must be voluntary, unlike tip pools with busboys and hostesses, which employers are allowed to mandate. As a result, the shared tips add only a few dollars to kitchen workers' pay, and Huffman often struggles to find qualified cooks and dishwashers.

If the proposed Labor Department rule goes through, restaurant owners would have more control over tips and could redirect more money to kitchen workers."

Edited by workerbee

14 minutes ago, workerbee said:

You auditioning for CNN? ;)  https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/12/14/570927260/trump-administration-proposes-rule-that-could-change-distribution-of-tips

"Cooks historically and even today have always received the short end of the stick in terms of the tip world," said Kurt Huffman, who runs more than two dozen restaurants in Portland, Ore.    Kitchen workers in his restaurants earn starting wages of about $13.50 an hour. With tips, servers can earn two or three times as much.

"But under current federal rules, any such tip sharing with kitchen staff must be voluntary, unlike tip pools with busboys and hostesses, which employers are allowed to mandate. As a result, the shared tips add only a few dollars to kitchen workers' pay, and Huffman often struggles to find qualified cooks and dishwashers.

If the proposed Labor Department rule goes through, restaurant owners would have more control over tips and could redirect more money to kitchen workers."

Tip money usually has no paper trail. Who's to say the owner wouldn't skim it before distributing?

And would you go to a restaurant that paid its cooks/chefs minimum wage? I know some that get paid really well for what they do. Of course they don't work at a fast food place.

3 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

Tip money usually has no paper trail. Who's to say the owner wouldn't skim it before distributing?

And would you go to a restaurant that paid its cooks/chefs minimum wage? I know some that get paid really well for what they do. Of course they don't work at a fast food place.

$13.50 starting is minimum wage?  For some reason I had always thought that tips were split among workers in a restaurant.  I personally know folks who started in a fast food place and are now millionairs.  

Just now, workerbee said:

$13.50 starting is minimum wage?  For some reason I had always thought that tips were split among workers in a restaurant.  I personally know folks who started in a fast food place and are now millionairs.  

Fast food workers get tips? Who knew?

And in the restaurants I frequent the waiters/waitresses keep their own tips.

I don't know where you get $13.50 but most waiters/waitresses are paid less than minimum wage.

3 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

I don't know where you get $13.50 but most waiters/waitresses are paid less than minimum wage.

From the NPR article.  "Kitchen workers in his restaurants earn starting wages of about $13.50 an hour. With tips, servers can earn two or three times as much."

Just now, workerbee said:

From the NPR article.  "Kitchen workers in his restaurants earn starting wages of about $13.50 an hour. With tips, servers can earn two or three times as much."

North Carolina labor law allows tipped employees to be paid a lower cash wage than the standard North Carolina minimum wage by their employers, as up to $5.12 in tips earned per hour can be deducted from their wage as a "Tip Credit". This means that, with the maximum tip credit taken, tipped employees must be paid a cash wage of at least $2.13 per hour, for a total minimum compensation of $7.25 per hour (including tips).

6 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

North Carolina labor law allows tipped employees to be paid a lower cash wage than the standard North Carolina minimum wage by their employers, as up to $5.12 in tips earned per hour can be deducted from their wage as a "Tip Credit". This means that, with the maximum tip credit taken, tipped employees must be paid a cash wage of at least $2.13 per hour, for a total minimum compensation of $7.25 per hour (including tips).

Yes I know that and I think is common in most states.  Talking with a server here who volunteered telling us,  in the cutest NC accent,  she can easily take home several hundred bucks in a normal shift and the restaurant does not serve beer or wine.

22 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

Waitresses will share a % of their tips with Bartenders and bar backs if they serve booze and bus boys in most places.

At the end of the night it's a ritual called "tip out".

That was the case when I worked in and even owned a bar and grille decades ago and still is the norm. 

2 hours ago, banner1124 said:

Yup same here... always tip in cash

So do I , but I'think the IRS has tables that claim to tell what you received in cash,  right or wrong and you're stuck with paying on that estimated amount . 

21 hours ago, tooldtocare said:

What say you?

The tip is income. It should be taxed!

4 hours ago, workerbee said:

Actually the first version could theoretically happen too.

4 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

Tips on cards do. Which is why I do so!

5 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

That certainly goes on; I knew people years ago who worked for a restaurant that fired servers who did not hand in all tips. How they detected that, I don't know; this was well before cameras were common. The ostensible purpose was equal distribution of tips to all employees, but the employees eventually figured out the bosses were taking a skim.

6 hours ago, workerbee said:

Then pay 'em more out of your end, Huffman. :)