Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcorioles

The Last Jedi

9 posts in this topic

So disappointed.

Wanted to love it....

Just a pedestrian action movie.I don't get the rave reviews.

I thought Rouge 1 was much better.

To compare this to The Empire Strike. Back is crazy.

Save your money and wait till it comes out on Blue Ray.

Was in my mid-20's when the 1st Trilogy came out. As a lifelong SF fan I liked all three. Later when the 3 Prequels came out, I appreciated the advances in SFX and pretty much enjoyed them as well. When "Force" came out, except for Ford & Chewie being in it I was somewhat Underwhelmed. I don't know who any of these New Kids are. Rogue One just didn't do anything for me. The Story was OK but again, I don't know who these people are. I'll get around to seeing "Last" when the BR Rip hits the 'net but I doubt I'll make it a Keeper as I did with the 1st six. Guess it's my Age. Like most movies out now, fewer and fewer Stars that I've watched most of my life are around much anymore. After all they are into their 50's, 60's and older now as well. That's the way it goes I guess.  

Edited by Bartman

20 hours ago, Bartman said:

Was in my mid-20's when the 1st Trilogy came out. As a lifelong SF fan I liked all three. Later when the 3 Prequels came out, I appreciated the advances in SFX and pretty much enjoyed them as well. When "Force" came out, except for Ford & Chewie being in it I was somewhat Underwhelmed. I don't know who any of these New Kids are. Rogue One just didn't do anything for me. The Story was OK but again, I don't know who these people are. I'll get around to seeing "Last" when the BR Rip hits the 'net but I doubt I'll make it a Keeper as I did with the 1st six. Guess it's my Age. Like most movies out now, fewer and fewer Stars that I've watched most of my life are around much anymore. After all they are into their 50's, 60's and older now as well. That's the way it goes I guess.  

Good points.

I watched it, and left feeling unaffected. Here's my problem with the foundation of this new trilogy. At the end of VI, the rebels destroy the death star and Palpatine is killed. Balance is restored to the force, and they set about rebuilding a new galactic senate. Fast forward 30 years, the shattered and scattered remnants of the empire are laying in hiding, trying desperately to stave off total surrender. Oh yeah, except that, despite having no resources, they were somehow able to afford the expense of building yet another death star. This time, it's an actual planet. :rolleyes: They try to stage a comeback, and have their 3rd death star destroyed. Fast forward 3 years, and those beat down, empire fragments are now fully restored to power, and they're enjoying absolute dominance over the universe, while Leia is reduced to leading a very tiny band of rebels who represent all that remains of the rebuilt senate.    

WOW!!! What an unexpected turn of events, It's almost as if the empire is destined to always be in control. And no matter what happens, it will never be beaten.

See, that's just bad writing.     

On 1/3/2018 at 2:36 PM, weird-O said:

I watched it, and left feeling unaffected. Here's my problem with the foundation of this new trilogy. At the end of VI, the rebels destroy the death star and Palpatine is killed. Balance is restored to the force, and they set about rebuilding a new galactic senate. Fast forward 30 years, the shattered and scattered remnants of the empire are laying in hiding, trying desperately to stave off total surrender. Oh yeah, except that, despite having no resources, they were somehow able to afford the expense of building yet another death star. This time, it's an actual planet. :rolleyes: They try to stage a comeback, and have their 3rd death star destroyed. Fast forward 3 years, and those beat down, empire fragments are now fully restored to power, and they're enjoying absolute dominance over the universe, while Leia is reduced to leading a very tiny band of rebels who represent all that remains of the rebuilt senate.    

WOW!!! What an unexpected turn of events, It's almost as if the empire is destined to always be in control. And no matter what happens, it will never be beaten.

I kind of wish the newer movies (non-original trilogy) covered multiple time frames.  Episode 1 for example shouldn't have been an entire movie of child Anakin because then the next 2 movies were scrambling to transition him to Darth Vader.  Same with the last the two.  Would have been nice to at least kind of see how the First Order came to be and other things evolved.  And if there's nothing more to Snoke in the next movie, he was a fairly pointless character.

I was OK with the Prequels and the young Anakin and Obi-Wan and the rest. But now these last two and Rogue One just aren't doing anything for me. So Han gets killed by his kid who is supposed to be a real Baddie but it just doesn't do anything for me. So the special effects are getting wilder & wilder, well it's Computers you know. You can probably do most anything you can think of now. But Why? Like I said before, I don't know who Any of these Kids are. The characters just don't interest me and basically I couldn't care less. Guess it's my Age now, fewer & fewer Movies and for that matter TV shows as well that interest me anymore. I'd just as soon rerun something on one of my hard drives. I have probably Hundreds of movies & TV shows that I do like saved.

On 1/3/2018 at 2:36 PM, weird-O said:

It's why Star Trek is a hundred times more effective (even though its own reboot sort of sucks): the bad guys are always in a variable state. Meaning, they can just invent new bad guys and tell a story of higher purpose beyond good versus bad. Star Wars worked the first time. I mean, it was a kid's story: nothing more, nothing less. Now that Disney's got a hold of it, they'll tell the same damn story again with a new cast of characters, and they'll bank on the simple fact that mom and dad will take their kids to see it, much like what happened 30-40 years ago. Rinse, repeat. 

It's sad really, because there are tons of legit story arcs to be had beyond the nonsense of ultimate power vs a rag tag band of rebels. 

I loved it! So good seeing Mark Hamil again.

On 1/11/2018 at 0:26 PM, com6063 said:

I loved it! So good seeing Mark Hamil again.

Awesome!

I know it's subjective.

I loved Rouge1 and The Force Awakens

Hated the prequels.....last one was ok.

I liked the Hamil role too......just not much of the rest.

Edited by mcorioles