Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Express

Down year for MIAA A Conference Hoops

33 posts in this topic

Just took a look at the MIAA A Conference standings and noticed that 8 teams have .500 or losing overall records so far this year (about 10 games in for everyone). Only 5 teams have winning records. Some of the B Conference wins over the A Conference includes, Severn over CHC, SP over both McD and Gilman and Curley over Spalding (those are just the ones I have seen, there might be more). Just watched the SP vs Gilman game via streaming and SP won by almost 20, and both teams struggled (and SP had just lost 4 in a row). McD, Gilman, Spalding, Loyola, Glenelg, MC, AAC and CHC are just bad teams. 5 solid team records in in BL, SF, MSJ, JC and Pallotti.  Thus the question is - is this the norm for the A Conference (a few good teams and a lot of bad teams) or has the A conference let too many B teams come up into A? Thoughts -  

27 minutes ago, Express said:

Just took a look at the MIAA A Conference standings and noticed that 8 teams have .500 or losing overall records so far this year (about 10 games in for everyone). Only 5 teams have winning records. Some of the B Conference wins over the A Conference includes, Severn over CHC, SP over both McD and Gilman and Curley over Spalding (those are just the ones I have seen, there might be more). Just watched the SP vs Gilman game via streaming and SP won by almost 20, and both teams struggled (and SP had just lost 4 in a row). McD, Gilman, Spalding, Loyola, Glenelg, MC, AAC and CHC are just bad teams. 5 solid team records in in BL, SF, MSJ, JC and Pallotti.  Thus the question is - is this the norm for the A Conference (a few good teams and a lot of bad teams) or has the A conference let too many B teams come up into A? Thoughts -  

I watched the Gilman game as well. Gilman was leading heading into the fourth and all game, again the roof fell off in the fourth. Happened after the technical foul they had called on a player, who shouldn’t be playing. Gilman was also playing without two of their biggest contributors, 6’9 Roman Hinds and Spanky Dixon. Dixon I believe is out because of junior Crab Bowl activities. I have no idea why Hinds hasn’t been there the last three games. Maybe had some issues back in Jamaica. 

I agree though, there have been some really puzzling losts this year. Severn beating CHC is by far the strangest. St. Paul’s beating Gilman, without two of their tougher players, wasn’t surprising. 

Gilman just lost to MIAA B St Paul's by 20? OMG! No wonder we didn't get a play-by-play. St Paul's was 2-4. I'll admit, like football, it's shaping up for another down season in the MIAA. As for Gilman, that would be their 4th loss in 5 games, 3 by 20 points or more. To be fair, after a lot of fan fare about Gilman hoops last year, they went 2-15 in their final 17 games. The CHC loss to Severn was another head-scratcher. Tough year for the MIAA. Thankfully, JC, SFA, and MSJ are decent. 

39 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I watched the Gilman game as well. Gilman was leading heading into the fourth and all game, again the roof fell off in the fourth. Happened after the technical foul they had called on a player, who shouldn’t be playing. Gilman was also playing without two of their biggest contributors, 6’9 Roman Hinds and Spanky Dixon. Dixon I believe is out because of junior Crab Bowl activities. I have no idea why Hinds hasn’t been there the last three games. Maybe had some issues back in Jamaica. 

I agree though, there have been some really puzzling losts this year. Severn beating CHC is by far the strangest. St. Paul’s beating Gilman, without two of their tougher players, wasn’t surprising. 

Didn't know they were without those players. SP had two out for Football as well but more roll players. Yes, Technical call on Willis is tough at that moment (not sure why a 6 foot Willis is guarding a 6'7" SP player (Troy) but on offense Gilman has to be able to score in the paint. Second possession of the game they get four offensive rebounds (on one possession) and could not make the put back shot. My general thought with this post is - a few years ago it felt like almost every A Conference team  had one or more D1 players that really dominated HS games (especially the bigs) but that doesn't seem to be the case this year. 

9 minutes ago, Express said:

Didn't know they were without those players. SP had two out for Football as well but more roll players. Yes, Technical call on Willis is tough at that moment (not sure why a 6 foot Willis is guarding a 6'7" SP player (Troy) but on offense Gilman has to be able to score in the paint. Second possession of the game they get four offensive rebounds (on one possession) and could not make the put back shot. My general thought with this post is - a few years ago it felt like almost every A Conference team  had one or more D1 players that really dominated HS games (especially the bigs) but that doesn't seem to be the case this year. 

Do you think if it were not for that technical, Gilman would have won, instead of losing by 20 or so to 2-4 St Paul's? 

Edited by themamba

5 minutes ago, themamba said:

Do you think if it were not for that technical, Gilman would have won, instead of losing by 20 or so to 2-4 St Paul's? 

ha ha" no", SP would have won anyway. Gilman played poorly down the stretch (must have shot 25-30% from the floor). Most A teams should be able to beat B teams without being in a contested game. Gilman has lost to Gerstel and SP so they have issues. 

8 minutes ago, Express said:

ha ha" no", SP would have won anyway. Gilman played poorly down the stretch (must have shot 25-30% from the floor). Most A teams should be able to beat B teams without being in a contested game. Gilman has lost to Gerstel and SP so they have issues. 

Yea, both Milford Mill and Woodlawn handled Gerstell. I just hope the MIAA basketball talk on here doesn't continue the 23 month trend of negativity, comprised almost solely of talk of losing programs, like the football talk has come to. All you hear from their fans is about how bad the teams are all season.

That game that you speak of doesn't sound competitive at all. Does Gilman have any thoughts of dropping to the 'B' or 'C' divisions in basketball, do you know? 

Edited by themamba

1 hour ago, Express said:

My question is, why is Willis playing anyway. He and Sandy are both human turnovers. Tough to watch them man, they’re just so soft down low. Like I said before, I like the new coach’s schemes but his rotations are suspect. I understand today, because those kids weren’t there but he has to make some adjustments. 

17 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Funny, how you conveniently forgot the Greyhounds loss to the 2-6 Gerstell Falcons.  Gerstell lost to Loyola. Loyola! Gerstell doesn’t have a kid over 6’4” on their roster.  

There are no excuses for Calvert Hall’s abysmal early season but they’ve played a tougher schedule than Gilman thus far.  Severn is 5-2 and lost to MSJ  by 9 and Boys Latin by 7.

Edited by TheGuru

42 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

Funny, how you conveniently forgot the Greyhounds loss to the 2-6 Gerstell Falcons.  Gerstell lost to Loyola. Loyola! Gerstell doesn’t have a kid over 6’4” on their roster.  

There are no excuses for Calvert Hall’s abysmal early season but they’ve played a tougher schedule than Gilman thus far.  Severn is 5-2 and lost to MSJ  by 9 and Boys Latin by 7.

Believe it or not, Loyola isn’t that bad this year. They almost beat MSJ, and played SFA tough. They will probably beat CHC this year. CHC with their talent, have no excuse to be this bad this year. 

16 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Believe it or not, Loyola isn’t that bad this year. They almost beat MSJ, and played SFA tough. They will probably beat CHC this year. CHC with their talent, have no excuse to be this bad this year. 

I believe they beat CHC last year

2 hours ago, jbmad said:

I believe they beat CHC last year

In OT at Loyola on a miracle 3pt shot from 24 ft.

3 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

You deflect to CHC when I already posted that there’s no excuse for this year’s record.  Gilman’s loss to Gerstell was and will forever be the worst loss by an A-Conference Team vs a B-Conference team in the 2017-18 season.

8 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

You deflect to CHC when I already posted that there’s no excuse for this year’s record.  Gilman’s loss to Gerstell was and will forever be the worst loss by an A-Conference Team vs a B-Conference team in the 2017-18 season.

No, not when it’s a new coach that didn’t play his second best player(Foster) until the second half, or play their third best player(Madison) much, or best defensive player(Spanky) play at all. You see, Gilman do not have the luxury of having 1000 boys and a team of full time basketball players. They have to wait for their football players to play into shape. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

12 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

In OT at Loyola on a miracle 3pt shot from 24 ft.

They won. And they will win this year more than likely. BTW, Gilman beat Loyola already. 

1 hour ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

No, not when it’s a new coach that didn’t play his second best player(Foster) until the second half, or play their third best player(Madison) much, or best defensive player(Spanky) play at all. You see, Gilman do not have the luxury of having 1000 boys and a team of full time basketball players. They have to wait for their football players to play into shape. 

Repeat after me:  “Excuses are tools of incompetence which build  monuments of nothingness and those that specialize in their uses seldom accomplish anything else.”

Edited by TheGuru

4 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

Repeat after me:  “Excuses are tools of incompetence which build  monuments of nothingness and those that specialize in their uses seldom accomplish anything else.”

Touché!! 

If you think it's bad this year, wait til next year when the 2018 kids leave. A Conference is losing all of it's star power, Locke (Florida), Quickley (Kentucky), Mathis (Rutgers), Stix (Maryland), Adams (Rhode Island), and Andrews from BL. It will be time for the young players to make a name for themselves. SFA will have to carry the league on a national level next year, because MSJ and JC won't have their usual star power and CH is trying to recover from AAU sabotage. It will be an opportunity for the lower tier schools to close the gap with young talent like Loyola, Gilman, and BL, but SFA and MSJ have some nice young guys as well. Enjoy this season, you're definitely going to need team rosters to know who's playing next year.

1 hour ago, ShoNuff said:

If you think it's bad this year, wait til next year when the 2018 kids leave. A Conference is losing all of it's star power, Locke (Florida), Quickley (Kentucky), Mathis (Rutgers), Stix (Maryland), Adams (Rhode Island), and Andrews from BL. It will be time for the young players to make a name for themselves. SFA will have to carry the league on a national level next year, because MSJ and JC won't have their usual star power and CH is trying to recover from AAU sabotage. It will be an opportunity for the lower tier schools to close the gap with young talent like Loyola, Gilman, and BL, but SFA and MSJ have some nice young guys as well. Enjoy this season, you're definitely going to need team rosters to know who's playing next year.

I think Gilman might have the best player in the league next year, in Chase Drew. 

13 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I think Gilman might have the best player in the league next year, in Chase Drew. 

Easy Mr Bishop with be a top 100 2019 players by the end of this year.  Talked with a few college coaches walking through the gym who think he'll be top10 PG in the country next year.  

29 minutes ago, RM7 said:

Easy Mr Bishop with be a top 100 2019 players by the end of this year.  Talked with a few college coaches walking through the gym who think he'll be top10 PG in the country next year.  

Damn, I forget that Bishop is only a junior! Seems like he’s already been there forever. Yeah, he will be the best player. I’m a big fan, smooth lefty with a sick jumper. 

Those college coaches thinking Bishop will be a Top 10 pg next year, probably won't have jobs due to substance abuse. How you turn a 6' shooter with no pg skills into Top 10 pg as a senior is interesting. Ace Baldwin (SFA) will be the best returning player in the league next season as a true HM pg. Bishop is an excellent player in his own right but not a pg. The frosh pg that just moved up is a better pg than Bishop and will probably run the show at MSJ the next 3 years.

Chase Drew will be a game changer for Gilman, along with their freshmen. Even though was just fall league, Drew made them legit, they sorely miss his toughness and athleticism so far this season. Look for more transfers to fill A rosters. I hear CHC taking transfers off current rosters right now, big kid from Patterson.

2 minutes ago, ShoNuff said:

Those college coaches thinking Bishop will be a Top 10 pg next year, probably won't have jobs due to substance abuse. How you turn a 6' shooter with no pg skills into Top 10 pg as a senior is interesting. Ace Baldwin (SFA) will be the best returning player in the league next season as a true HM pg. Bishop is an excellent player in his own right but not a pg. The frosh pg that just moved up is a better pg than Bishop and will probably run the show at MSJ the next 3 years.

Chase Drew will be a game changer for Gilman, along with their freshmen. Even though was just fall league, Drew made them legit, they sorely miss his toughness and athleticism so far this season. Look for more transfers to fill A rosters. I hear CHC taking transfers off current rosters right now, big kid from Patterson.

Well I guess you better tell the head coach of a national champ and a team that made the elite 8 two of the past three years his coaches aren't very good at evaluating talent.  

I have his number and I'm sure he'll tell them the same thing I said if they approach him with that eval. This is not even a controversial topic. Bishop is heck of a player, gym rat but not a pg, NC State and Coach Keats is a good look for him. Bishop is similar to Kam, undersized 2, that needs to develop pg skills.