Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Express

Down year for MIAA A Conference Hoops

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ShoNuff said:

Those college coaches thinking Bishop will be a Top 10 pg next year, probably won't have jobs due to substance abuse. How you turn a 6' shooter with no pg skills into Top 10 pg as a senior is interesting. Ace Baldwin (SFA) will be the best returning player in the league next season as a true HM pg. Bishop is an excellent player in his own right but not a pg. The frosh pg that just moved up is a better pg than Bishop and will probably run the show at MSJ the next 3 years.

Chase Drew will be a game changer for Gilman, along with their freshmen. Even though was just fall league, Drew made them legit, they sorely miss his toughness and athleticism so far this season. Look for more transfers to fill A rosters. I hear CHC taking transfers off current rosters right now, big kid from Patterson.

Actually, I was going to write the same thing, in regards to Bishop being a PG. I haven’t seen his PG skills. Baldwin is a baller, better PG than Bishop but I believe that Bishop is a better player. 

Gilman definitely misses Drew. They will be legit next year, because of him and as you said, the frosh. The JV kids they have. I think are going to be special. The two kids should be on Varsity, and Roberts is going to be a hell of a PG. 

45 minutes ago, ShoNuff said:

I have his number and I'm sure he'll tell them the same thing I said if they approach him with that eval. This is not even a controversial topic. Bishop is heck of a player, gym rat but not a pg, NC State and Coach Keats is a good look for him. Bishop is similar to Kam, undersized 2, that needs to develop pg skills.

I can see were you might have assumed I was talking about one coach, but I was talking about two.  He's a Jr an has two more years to develop my friend, just like so many were down on Sticks and Morrsell.  Tell you what anytime you want to talk to them in person let me know I'll have you over at practice. 

I agree that the kid has time to improve the skills but the mentality is another thing.

My friend, any time you can get me into one of those practices I'm there, always open to learn more. But the asst. coach that recruits Bishop as a HM pg, won't have that job long, he's a bucket getter.

CHC gets their first win of the year, beating Gilman 69-61. Gilman was winning by 8 at the half, was up by as much as 14 in the first half. 

This loss goes squarely on the coach’s shoulders. He left the Sandy kid in there in the third quarter, when he literally turned it over 10 times himself in the quarter! He had another kid in there, who kept turning the ball over. I know a couple of kids had three fouls, but when you see the tide of the game turning like that, you have to get your best players back in the game! 

CHC got three buzzer beating three pointers, to end each of the first three quarters. CHC was hitting threes, but the coach stayed in a zone. Really bad coaching game for the new Head Coach. Like what he’s done most of the year, but this was a bad game on his part. 

On 12/20/2017 at 8:53 PM, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

....when he literally turned it over 10 times himself in the quarter! He had another kid in there, who kept turning the ball over. I know a couple of kids had three fouls, but when you see the tide of the game turning like that, you have to get your best players back in the game! 

I recently saw a Gilman - Annapolis game and Gilman, the players on the court, were a turnover machine.  It wasn't all on the G coaches but lead foot players who didn't move well to get passes.  The game went done to the last desperation shot with a couple seconds left in the game Annapolis missed.

3 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Guru, what is this BS? Who the hell is this coach? CHC will probably lose a few players. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/high-school/bs-va-sp-ch-hoops-coach-20180522-story.html

Boy, you really do show your ignorance/bias on a continual basis.  If Gilman had hired this guy, you’d be proclaiming that the Greyhounds were on the verge of being a dynasty.  When he goes to CHC, you post that it’s a “BS” hire which will drive kids away.  Ha!

He’s 36 years old.  In his late 20’s, he was an assistant coach for 3 years at St. Anthony’s in Jersey City, NJ under arguably the greatest scholastic hoops coach Bob Hurley, Sr.  At 29 years of age, he struck out on his own, as the head coach at Pope John XXIII in the northern NJ suburbs of Sussex County.  Prior to his arrival, the school had an average program.  In his fourth season, he won the Non-Public “A” State Title and lost in the Tournament of Champions Finals.  They finished #2 in New Jersey and #14 in America.  The last two years, he struggled at West Catholic in Philly.  I’d give him a mulligan for that, as West Catholic was a bad program when he arrived, the Philadelphia Catholic League is brutally tough, and West Catholic is a school that has been rumored to be closing its doors for the last 5-6 years.

The negatives that I see, from published reports and Internet innuendo, is that his best player at Pope John XXIII was an African immigrant with a questionable academic transcript.  That kinda crap won’t fly at CHC.  And secondly, he had a lot of transfers come in and seversl leave in his latter years at Pope John XXIII.

On paper, it seems like a great hire.  If he brings Bob Hurley’s discipline and focus on fundamentals to the program, if he can recruit talent like he did at Pope John XXIII, and if he can have a couple assistants that know the MIAA/BCL and Baltimore, I’m sure CHC will be competing again with Mount St. Joe and St. Frances within 2-3 years.

5 hours ago, Irish Way said:

Boy, you really do show your ignorance/bias on a continual basis.  If Gilman had hired this guy, you’d be proclaiming that the Greyhounds were on the verge of being a dynasty.  When he goes to CHC, you post that it’s a “BS” hire which will drive kids away.  Ha!

He’s 36 years old.  In his late 20’s, he was an assistant coach for 3 years at St. Anthony’s in Jersey City, NJ under arguably the greatest scholastic hoops coach Bob Hurley, Sr.  At 29 years of age, he struck out on his own, as the head coach at Pope John XXIII in the northern NJ suburbs of Sussex County.  Prior to his arrival, the school had an average program.  In his fourth season, he won the Non-Public “A” State Title and lost in the Tournament of Champions Finals.  They finished #2 in New Jersey and #14 in America.  The last two years, he struggled at West Catholic in Philly.  I’d give him a mulligan for that, as West Catholic was a bad program when he arrived, the Philadelphia Catholic League is brutally tough, and West Catholic is a school that has been rumored to be closing its doors for the last 5-6 years.

The negatives that I see, from published reports and Internet innuendo, is that his best player at Pope John XXIII was an African immigrant with a questionable academic transcript.  That kinda crap won’t fly at CHC.  And secondly, he had a lot of transfers come in and seversl leave in his latter years at Pope John XXIII.

On paper, it seems like a great hire.  If he brings Bob Hurley’s discipline and focus on fundamentals to the program, if he can recruit talent like he did at Pope John XXIII, and if he can have a couple assistants that know the MIAA/BCL and Baltimore, I’m sure CHC will be competing again with Mount St. Joe and St. Frances within 2-3 years.

I know his background. He’s not a Bmore Guy. Bmore basketball is more about recruiting than anything. I don’t care that he coaches under Bobby Hurley, who won for years because he got the best players in Jersey. CHC will not be competing with MSJ.