Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dshawg1

Per Rosenthal-Offers Improved Over the Weekend

12 posts in this topic

Good to see there may be some teams starting to bid against each other. I got the Dbacks as a dark horse to get Manny.  With JD Marinez not coming back, they seem desperate to keep their WS push moving forward for one more year and need a big bat.  Sounds like Corbin and Drury are part of the package.

Corbin and Drury would be an abysmal return.  Corbin in the AL East is a 5.00+ ERA pitcher.

Reminder-under new CBA rules-new team gets a draft pick if Manny doesn't sign. Morons over at the other board I will not mention by name, don't seem to comprehend that important piece of information.

27 minutes ago, Slidemaster said:

Corbin and Drury would be an abysmal return.  Corbin in the AL East is a 5.00+ ERA pitcher.

"Part" of the package!  Relax Slide.  They would have to add at least one blue chip arm on top of that plus something else good IMO.  Corbin would be ok as a LH 4th starter.  Dbacks would add him for sure to shed the 8mil some salary.  Foolish or not, the Os are going to be drawn to a package that has ML ready players in order to compete for 2018.

Adding some marginal player(s) who might be MLB ready but aren’t very good to any potential Machado deal is completely pointless.  Either demand real top prospects or don’t do anything. 

I’m just speculating but I fear the Orioles front office see’s this as some valuable piece of an offer when in reality it would do nothing to improve the team and would also lessen the return of real impact players from trading a MLB Superstar.  

Hopefully I’m wrong but it’s though to have any real confidence that these guys will get it right IF they trade Manny.  

Edited by BayAreaBmore

2 hours ago, Slidemaster said:

Os baseball 

Dont miss out 

16 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

Adding some marginal player(s) who might be MLB ready but aren’t very good to any potential Machado deal is completely pointless.  Either demand real top prospects or don’t do anything. 

I’m just speculating but I fear the Orioles front office see’s this as some valuable piece of an offer when in reality it would do nothing to improve the team and would also lessen the return of real impact players from trading a MLB Superstar.  

Hopefully I’m wrong but it’s though to have any real confidence that these guys will get it right IF they trade Manny.  

I've been in same boat as to why Manny wouldn't bring a top package.  I mean when the White Sox won't include either of their top pitching prospects, well they can pound sand,  I'm with you, just wait till July then if teams are throwing us scraps.  

But lets face it, the O's knew last winter they couldn't afford Manny or Brittion past 2018.  They could of landed a major haul of 7 or 8 players with several blue chippers, but as usual no foresight.  I get it they wanted to go for it in 2017, but then they assembled that pitching staff.  They blew.  We could of been back in the mix this year and year's beyond if they do the machado and britton last winter.

Sounds like hindsight, but not really when you now realize the O's have made no attempts to extend Manny in over 2 years. They done blew it again. They are the least proactive team in baseball by a mile.  They wait till a gun is at their head before reacting.

Edited by CROUSEMAN

Angelos makes decisions for what he believes are sound marketing reasons. Actual on the field winning does not matter to him except to the extent that it improves attendance. He should have either extended or dealt Manny before this. He nixed such deals because he thinks the fans would stop buying tickets. What he thinks they'll do when Manny walks away and they get nothing in return, I don't know.

Teams aren't making good offers because they understand that Angelos does not really care if he gets good players in return, unless they are well known and can be used to market the team. Those front offices probably see sending good players here as a complete waste of their potential.

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

Angelos makes decisions for what he believes are sound marketing reasons. Actual on the field winning does not matter to him except to the extent that it improves attendance. He should have either extended or dealt Manny before this. He nixed such deals because he thinks the fans would stop buying tickets. What he thinks they'll do when Manny walks away and they get nothing in return, I don't know.

Teams aren't making good offers because they understand that Angelos does not really care if he gets good players in return, unless they are well known and can be used to market the team. Those front offices probably see sending good players here as a complete waste of their potential.

I don't buy that at all. Teams aren't going to put their best feet forward, at least not initially, because they're looking to get something for pennies on the dollar. If you're a buyer, you can always raise your offer, but it's difficult to go the other way.

The Orioles have a reputation--not undeserved, unfortunately--for being difficult to deal with because everything has to go through the chain of command. Thus, the person other teams are dealing with (Duquette, in this instance) may or likely may not have the authority to seal the deal. That wastes precious time, to the point that other teams start looking elsewhere to possible trades to improve their roster, rather than wait for the Orioles to make up their minds.

The Cardinals, for example, are now said to be inquiring with Toronto about Josh Donaldson, another free-agent-to-be after 2018, but likely with a lower asking price. Last year the Cubs were mentioned as a possible suitor for Zach Britton, but no doubt aware of the Orioles' penchant for stalling and going completely off the grid as the trade deadline approached, they went ahead and made a deal with Detroit for Justin Wilson.

I don't agree with the notion that Angelos doesn't want to win for a nano-second; he just has no clue how to go about it. The Orioles have spent money, as their 2017 payroll (10th highest in the majors) can attest. Trouble is, they spent money when they should have allocated it elsewhere, and conversely, they didn't spend money in certain instances when it became demonstrably apparent it would have been in their best interests to do so. This has been mentioned before, I'm sure, but in my mind, the worst thing that could have happened to the Orioles was in 1996 when Angelos, against the wishes of GM Pat Gillick, scotched the David Wells and Bobby Bonilla trades, and the Orioles actually rallied afterward and went on to reach the ALCS. That convinced Angelos, to my way of thinking, that he knew more about baseball than men who had been in the game their entire professional lives.

Like any owner, Angelos has veto power, and like most attorneys, he solicits opinions from many different sources. And as in the court room, it only might take one differing opinion to turn the tide. That might work in the legal world, but it slows the process down significantly in the baseball world, where snap decisions often have to be made.

The other problem I see with the whole Manny business is the Orioles' expectations are simply unrealistic. No team in its right mind is going to surrender two young, cost-controlled starting pitchers for one year of Machado. It's better to get the best deal possible, regardless of position, particularly since the Orioles farm system could use an injection of talent virtually everywhere.