Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Judge overturns convictions of men involved in 2010 drug case

7 posts in this topic

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/judge-overturns-convictions-of-men-involved-in-2010-drug-case/14458116

The federal judge who sentenced the two men to federal prison terms apologized to the men Monday and called their convictions the result of raw, crude police corruption.

Burley and Matthews were stopped by Jenkins, another officer and Detective Sean Suiter. All were in plain clothes.

"They came out in, literally, black masks, guns drawn with no identification whatsoever," attorney Steven Silverman said.

The men said they feared being robbed. Suiter, they said, played the good cop.

"Detective Suiter, that day, I think it was more like good cop, bad cop, because he was the one that was actually saying 'Don't worry about him,' telling Jenkins to back off a little bit. He would pull me to the side and say 'It will be OK,'" Burley said.

The man who was killed as a result of this was the father of a police officer. 

Jayne Miller's tweets were part of the story linked above.

Jayne Miller (@jemillerwbal) December 18, 2017

Umar Burley says he thought he was being robbed in 2010 when stopped by BPD officers incl Wayne Jenkins & Sean Suiter. Jenkins now charged w/planting drugs in Burley car. pic.twitter.com/bhZLE5nqBl
Jayne Miller (@jemillerwbal) December 18, 2017
Atty for two men whose convictions vacated said men believed Sgt Wayne Jenkins and other officers were out to rob them..planted drugs to "justify " their chase which ended in fatal car crash

I'll say what others are hesitant to speculate about because it looks so bad, but Officer Suiter's death is sounding more and more like a suicide every day, made to look like some kind of encounter with a mysterious suspect, as these bits and pieces leak out. 
I'd love to be completely wrong, but the whole "all things are on the table" comments by Davis and others don't bode well for all involved, and that includes the already damaged reputation of the city's police department.   

Edited by Baltimatt
Too long a quote

Nothing short of a tragic that a city which is so torn up by crime also has to deal with criminals who just happen to wear badges. My sympathies go out to the decent citizens and cops in Baltimore who have to endure such a brutal nightmare.

I'm left wondering why and how Davis still has a job. Shouldn't we expect better?

I thought I heard on the news last night that these 2 guys pled guilty. They knew they didn't do it so why take a plea .??

More and more Suiter is coming up involved with these bad cops. Makes you think he was involved.

1 hour ago, PeanutG said:

Since this happened back in 2010, I don't think you can hang this one on Davis.

I have to agree with you on that.  He inherited a lot of this mess, as the following story indicates.

The cost of Baltimore police corruption grows

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-1220-police-corruption-20171219-story.html#nt=oft13a-10gp1

It is unfair, of course, to mistrust all Baltimore police because of the actions of a few. But it’s equally wrong to write off the Gun Trace Task Force as a rogue unit and absolve the department of blame. The fact that these officers were able to do what they did for so long reflects an utter failure, over multiple administrations, of the Baltimore Police to police itself.

...even if Baltimore’s internal affairs division is now the best it can be and a case like Mr. Rayam’s would never go unpunished, the department still labors under the legacy of years in which bad cops like him were returned to the street. How many more Rayams are left in the ranks, undetected? The Gun Trace Task Force case may be the most consequential corruption scandal to hit the Baltimore Police Department, but it is certainly not the first. Judge Bennett said Monday that he’s “afraid this is not over yet.” We are too.

5 hours ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Nothing short of a tragic that a city which is so torn up by crime also has to deal with criminals who just happen to wear badges. My sympathies go out to the decent citizens and cops in Baltimore who have to endure such a brutal nightmare.

I'm left wondering why and how Davis still has a job. Shouldn't we expect better?

Very profound statement. I share your sentiments.

On 12/19/2017 at 2:22 PM, Bowie-Bruce said:

I am neither defending nor attacking Davis.

Questions to think about; how long has Davis been in office? how long has the PD been a problem? WHO was in charge before Davis that allowed this to happen in the first place? Is Davis an idiot for not saying 'screw this' and walk away? If he did... who will step in with a better plan...especially considering that that person would have to deal with the consent decree and NOT be able to do what they feel is 'the way to go'..

Yes in a perfect world....where  EVERYONE is held accountable....yes you can expect better. However....this is reality.

Candidly, I am surprised there is a PD at all. I wonder how many decent cops of what is on the payroll at this moment haven't got resumes out for another job. My guess is this; most anyone that is NOT near pension is....the remainder are just hoping they make it to that goal line.

Edited by Guido2