Marshan Man

Gov. Larry Hogan proposes $461 million to ease congestion on Baltimore Beltway

103 posts in this topic

C'mon Hoagie don't you know you can't build your way out of congestion.?! That's what mass transit is supposed to be for. I thought Hogan was brighter than he apparently is. My bad... SMH...

Gov. Larry Hogan announced Tuesday he will spend $461 million to ease congestion on the northern rim of the Baltimore Beltway.

The plan would convert 19 miles of the fast lane shoulders in both directions on I-695 into new travel lanes between I-70 and Parkville, a move state officials said would cut about 15 minutes off rush hour delays that can stretch an hour or more.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-hogan-baltimore-transportation-20171219-story.html

15 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

C'mon Hoagie don't you know you can't build your way out of congestion.?! That's what mass transit is supposed to be for. I thought Hogan was brighter than he apparently is. My bad... SMH...

I don't think the people who use the beltway and the people who would use mass transit are the same people.

23 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

People will never give up their cars. Mass transit is fine for the City, but those that travel 695 daily likely connect to 83 or 95, or points south.

It’s gonna be another construction mess on 695 though.

Edited by PinkFlamingo

The traffic of York commuters to Baltimore is bumper to bumper everyday. I thought it should be a 6 lane highway from Baltimore to Harrisburg That whole stretch of 83 is nothing but heavy tractor trailer traffic.

Public transportation isn't the universal panacea that some believe it to be.

• This paper by researcher Antonio Bento and colleagues suggests that significant increases in bus service have essentially no effect on vehicle travel.  Rail service increases do decrease vehicle travel, but by a surprisingly modest amount.
  • This paper by researchers from the University of Toronto found—unsurprisingly—that increases in road capacity were quickly matched by increases in traffic volumes.  But it also found that increases in transit service had no effect on traffic volumes.  In the authors’ words:  “these results fail to support the hypothesis that increase provision of public transit affects [vehicle miles traveled].”
  • And this study from a University of California-Davis found that higher residential densities and greater land use mix did decrease vehicle travel—but found no statistically significant link between better transit service and less driving.

1 hour ago, Marshan Man said:

I've been a fan of the guv, but a bunch of money spent for 15 minutes? Nahh son. Mass transit can't fix it either.

I get big picture, but man, if I used the top side beltway, the idea of what will likely be a couple years of construction hell at 70 - 695 doesn't sound good. 

And of course, by the time it's done, there will be thousands more cars on that road, probably negating the effort. 

I work for a company that does traffic studies, road design and development, and having a knowledge of future developments all around Baltimore tells me that no matter the improvements, the real issue is this states incredible growth. 

Places like Trade Point Atlantic and Port Covington are great for the state, but will dump thousands more cars on existing roads. 

Housing and commercial developments are started and completed in much shorter time frames than road improvements. Typically, developers are only responsible for the frontage of their site, meaning added lanes or bike lanes often have add a few hundred feet of improvements to a sleepy road at the site access, and thats it, even though the site adds hundreds of cars daily. 

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I've been a fan of the guv, but a bunch of money spent for 15 minutes? Nahh son. Mass transit can't fix it either.

People want mass transit to be FAST. The DC Metro does that.

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Hey, 15 minutes is 15 minutes! Four lanes each on the topside of 695 will definitely help.  Plus, a new exchange at 70, and extending the 95 Express lane from 43 to 24. I’m all for it. 

Edited by PinkFlamingo

4 hours ago, daravenator said:

The traffic of York commuters to Baltimore is bumper to bumper everyday. I thought it should be a 6 lane highway from Baltimore to Harrisburg That whole stretch of 83 is nothing but heavy tractor trailer traffic.

The Port is kicking butt

4 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

People will never give up their cars. Mass transit is fine for the City, but those that travel 695 daily likely connect to 83 or 95, or points south.

It’s gonna be another construction mess on 695 though.

There are straight line commuter mass transit stations about 1.5 miles from both my house and work.

Never even considered trying it 

4 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

15 minutes a day is pretty damned good. 15 minutes each way is significant. 15 minutes per week is not worth the projected cost.

1 hour ago, Struds said:

15 minutes a day is pretty damned good. 15 minutes each way is significant. 15 minutes per week is not worth the projected cost.

15 minutes a day each way would be great. I just don't see it and I'm on 695 every day.  Are you?

16 hours ago, Smokey 1 said:

I don't think the people who use the beltway and the people who would use mass transit are the same people.

That's because the current "system" is a disjointed mess.  Beltway drivers certainly use the metro in DC.

10 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

15 minutes a day each way would be great. I just don't see it and I'm on 695 every day.  Are you?

Yeah, I can't see a 15 minute improvement each way either.  Per day might be doable, but only for those of you going about half way or more around the loop. 

No, and each time I'm on 695 during heavy traffic I thank God it is not part of my regular commute.

10 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Don't you work from home ..???

52 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

That's because the current "system" is a disjointed mess.  Beltway drivers certainly use the metro in DC.

But they still have to drive to it.

13 minutes ago, Struds said:

Yeah, I can't see a 15 minute improvement each way either.  Per day might be doable, but only for those of you going about half way or more around the loop. 

No, and each time I'm on 695 during heavy traffic I thank God it is not part of my regular commute.

Definitely be thankful. My nightmare started when they moved my office from downtown to Woodlawn. I actually occasionally take a day off because I got up to late and knew I would be in horrible traffic.

3 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Don't you work from home ..???

Two days a week. Thanks for paying attention.

10 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Definitely be thankful. My nightmare started when they moved my office from downtown to Woodlawn. I actually occasionally take a day off because I got up to late and knew I would be in horrible traffic.

I've sometimes selected later flights home to BWI just to avoid having to drive the west side of the Beltway between @3 and 7.  That's far too aggravating after the hassles of flying.

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

Two days a week. Thanks for paying attention.

12 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

So then why say everyday ..???

It's Hogan's fatal flaw, his inability to get behind transit which is badly needed in this state.

And you'll never fix congestion on 695. The more lanes you add the more cars there will be on the road.

And the construction to do this will be a nightmare.

Thank God I don't have to commute on 695 at all.

29 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

It's Hogan's fatal flaw, his inability to get behind transit which is badly needed in this state.

And you'll never fix congestion on 695. The more lanes you add the more cars there will be on the road.

And the construction to do this will be a nightmare.

Thank God I don't have to commute on 695 at all.

That would be your opinion.  I think it is a great idea.  Plus much much cheaper than mass transit.

5 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

That would be your opinion.  I think it is a great idea.  Plus much much cheaper than mass transit.

The solution isn't "either/or". All modes of transportation need to be enhanced to relieve congestion. The governor is road happy. That's not an opinion.