Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Struds

Britton Injured

30 posts in this topic

Crap. There goes any trade value he had, and who knows when he'll be effectively back on the mound.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-britton-injury-1221-story.html

After missing most of the 2017 season with various injuries, Orioles closer Zach Britton will be out at least the next six months with a ruptured Achilles suffered while working out Tuesday in California, according to multiple industry sources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really can’t make this stuff up, can you?

Britton has been jinxed/curses since the 2016 Wild Card game when he remained in the Bullpen!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Slidemaster said:

What a disaster.  He' going to walk and they'l get nothing.

The brilliance of Big Dan...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feeling we've seen the last of Zach Britton in an Orioles uniform:

MLBTR projected that Britton would command $12.2MM in his final trip through the arbitration process. While it’s too late for the O’s to pull back their decision to tender him a contract, the club could end up releasing Britton to avoid paying him the full contract value. So long as he’s released before the 16th day of Spring Training, the O’s can avoid all but thirty days worth of salary.

Of course, the lost cash is only a small part of the problem here from the team’s perspective. Baltimore has toyed with the idea of trading Britton ever since last summer, when the club nearly did just that. The idea was to cash in the former ace closer to address other needs — namely, a still-glaring dearth of starters. Of course, the club was also reluctant to part with a pitcher that had been one of the game’s most dominant relievers in 2015 and 2016.

Instead of making that tough call, the O’s will seemingly be left with nothing to show for their final season of control over Britton. Perhaps it’s still conceivable the organization will retain him and hope he’s able to return late in the year, though that’d mean dedicating cash that could instead go to filling out the rotation. And it’s somewhat hard to imagine a scenario where Britton returns in time to turn into a trade chip, so there’s not really any downside protection if his recovery is slowed.

 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/zach-britton-suffers-ruptured-achilles.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not real confident in Brach as the full-time closer. Unless, the Orioles go out and trade for or sign another closer, this should go a long way toward running up the white flag for 2018. I'd say trade Machado sooner rather than later and start restocking this team for 2019 and beyond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

How so?

Oh don’t worry, Big Dan has a plan. It will all come to fruition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pitbull said:

Oh don’t worry, Big Dan has a plan. It will all come to fruition.

To you, I realize that this is another indication of Duquette's incompetence. Maybe the Orioles should have dealt him after 2016 when his trade value was at its absolute peak (although I seriously doubt Angelos would have signed off on such a move). Suppose, however, that if the Orioles had traded Britton, what if Givens or Brach or someone else in the bullpen had blown out their elbow or torn their Achilles? Would that somehow "prove" Britton shouldn't have been traded since the Orioles obviously had no contingency "plan" to cover such a situation? 

Since he wasn't traded after the 2016 season, maybe Britton should have been dealt at the deadline last year, even though the Orioles would have been selling low. But a fluke offseason injury doesn't reinforce either argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thirteen said:

I have a feeling we've seen the last of Zach Britton in an Orioles uniform:

 

 

I heard the O's were looking into extending ZB, and keeping him here. I have no idea how much truth there is to that, the O's are rarely proactive in keeping their players. One thing is for sure, if they aren't serious about extending him, they need to cut him. There's no reason to give the guy $12M to miss most of the season. 

All reports are saying that it's a 6 month injury. If that means no baseball activity for 6 months, then he can begin rehabbing around the 1st of July. Rehab will take at least a month. That means he can return to the O's in Aug. So he couldn't even be traded, if he somehow proved he was worth acquiring. And, as things stand today, the O's aren't going to be in the post season hunt. He needs to be released before the 16th day of ST. There's just no reason to keep him. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Britt has a quote from ZB. From what he said, it sounds like he has spoken with the team and being released from his contract was discussed. It's his landing foot, he thinks he can return ahead of the 6 month prognosis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Britt has a quote from ZB. From what he said, it sounds like he has spoken with the team and being released from his contract was discussed. It's his landing foot, he thinks he can return ahead of the 6 month prognosis

I was listening to Bill Ripken on The Fan and he was saying that if Britton can make it back by June, then it's better to hold on to him. I'm not sure if I agree with that, but I do think that other teams are watching this situation very closely. Should the Orioles cut ties, it wouldn't be long before someone else took a flyer. The Cubs signed Drew Smyly to a two-year deal knowing full well that he may not pitch at all for them next season.

I guess the only upside to Britton's injury is that it doesn't involve his arm or his elbow; should he make it back by midseason and his arm is sound, teams will no doubt be interested in adding him at the deadline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mdrunning said:

I was listening to Bill Ripken on The Fan and he was saying that if Britton can make it back by June, then it's better to hold on to him. I'm not sure if I agree with that, but I do think that other teams are watching this situation very closely. Should the Orioles cut ties, it wouldn't be long before someone else took a flyer. The Cubs signed Drew Smyly to a two-year deal knowing full well that he may not pitch at all for them next season.

I guess the only upside to Britton's injury is that it doesn't involve his arm or his elbow; should he make it back by midseason and his arm is sound, teams will no doubt be interested in adding him at the deadline. 

Roch mentioned the possibility of him being cut, then signing a new contract with the O's. If that can be worked out, it's fair to him and the team. Otherwise, $12M is a big price to pay for a what essentially turns out to be little more than a possible deadline trade piece.  

I often find myself following a flow of thought along the lines of, if the O's free up the money from player X, they can add that to an offer for pitcher Y. But I have to check myself, and remember that the issue isn't being able to afford a quality, FA starter. It's that ownership is flat out not willing to pay for a quality, FA pitcher. They could shave $50M off the payroll, and Pete still wouldn't approve signing a big time FA pitcher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, weird-O said:

That means he can return to the O's in Aug.

Just in time for the Second Wild Card Chase!  Yay!

Edited by Thirteen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read an article in the Sun. Since ZB injured himself doing team authorized baseball activities, he is protected under the CBA. So, even if the O's release him before ST, he gets his full pay. Since he hasn't gone to arb. yet, he would get his 2017 salary. There's no longer any reason to cut him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel terrible for ZB, but not for the team.  Everyone knows he should of been dealt by know.  This team is just frozen by indecision.  They will keep Manny and just ride this anchor to the bottom.  They need to lose 100 games this year and maybe the decks will be cleared.  Disgusted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That trade to the Astros vetoed by Angelos really stings now. Angelos has to go. I respect his politics (see, I said something nice about Angelos) but he is still damaging this franchise at 91 years of age. It is maddening.

 

The Skins are worse...but honestly, it's close. Angelos bid on himself to get Chris Davis, blocked Britton deal...and may sabotage Manny trade. He is really hurting this franchise and it will have implications for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

That trade to the Astros vetoed by Angelos really stings now. Angelos has to go. I respect his politics (see, I said something nice about Angelos) but he is still damaging this franchise at 91 years of age. It is maddening.

 

The Skins are worse...but honestly, it's close. Angelos bid on himself to get Chris Davis, blocked Britton deal...and may sabotage Manny trade. He is really hurting this franchise and it will have implications for years.

Did word ever leak out who was in the Astros offer???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Did word ever leak out who was in the Astros offer???

The only thing that seems to be universally agreed upon is this. Houston said their top 7 prospects are off limits, and the players they were willing to trade, had medicals issues. Usually this is the point where fingers start getting pointed at Pete. But these deals (there were two separate Britton to the Stros deals) never made it to Pete. Multiple respected journalists said Houston was trying to pawn off damaged goods to mulptiple trade partners.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0