Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slidemaster

I can feel the rebuild coming...

22 posts in this topic

...and I'm actually excited about it.  Dan will be gone soon.  The same tired players will be on their way out the door.  The home-run-or-nothing philosophy could soon be a thing of the past.  Sure, it might take a few more years, but I'm infinitely more willing to watch and follow a team of young players cutting their teeth than a team of vets who are on the downside of their ceiling.

I hope every last valuable piece with less than 4 years of control gets moved.  All of them.  Jones, Davis, Schoop, Gausman, Manny, Brach et all.  Send em all packing and restock the farm system.  Sucking now leads to success later.

Edited by Slidemaster

Do you really trust Big Dan to oversee this rebuild? He can’t evaluate young pitching, and that’s clearly the need.

Edited by pitbull

34 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Do you really trust Big Dan to oversee this rebuild? He can’t evaluate young pichingn, and that’s clearly the need.

"Dan will be gone soon"

He's talking about a post DD and Buck rebuild

1 hour ago, Slidemaster said:

...and I'm actually excited about it.  Dan will be gone soon.  The same tired players will be on their way out the door.  The home-run-or-nothing philosophy could soon be a thing of the past.  Sure, it might take a few more years, but I'm infinitely more willing to watch and follow a team of young players cutting their teeth than a team of vets who are on the downside of their ceiling.

I hope every last valuable piece with less than 4 years of control gets moved.  All of them.  Jones, Davis, Schoop, Gausman, Manny, Brach et all.  Send em all packing and restock the farm system.  Sucking now leads to success later.

Everyone outside of the Warehouse recognizes that the O's are at least a year late on starting their rebuild. And the Manny trade talks have brought up several stories about the O's future. One point that keeps popping up, is that Pete will never allow a full rebuild. When they had the fire sale in 2000, it didn't sit well with him. Because he hates to lose, and waving the white flag isn't in his nature. The problem for us is, he believes O's fans are stupid and gullible enough to fall for his pretense of winning, by adding the Millars, Atkins and Guerreros of the world. A rebuild is the only possible O's future that holds any interest for me. But I don't see it happening  

Just now, Pickle20 said:

As long as Angelos is the owner, I'm excited for nothing.

Same.  Complete anchor for moving forward.  Rebuilds require bold moves and quick action.  Pete has neither in his back pocket.  Extending Adam Jones will be the centerpiece of their rebuild, :D

I highly doubt Jones would extend, especially if he senses the ship is rudderless. He's a CA boy and probably want to play closer to home at some point.

1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

I highly doubt Jones would extend, especially if he senses the ship is rudderless. He's a CA boy and probably want to play closer to home at some point.

Yeah agree.  I should of said that would be Pete and Buck's idea of a rebuild.

1 minute ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Pete and Buck have no idea what a "rebuild" is.  

I doubt Buck wants to go through another rebuild but he essentially came into one in 2010. The pieces were all mostly here already, but he implemented a system and a philosophy that worked wonders. He also did it in Arizona so I don't think it's fair to Buck to include him in with this.

1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

I doubt Buck wants to go through another rebuild but he essentially came into one in 2010. The pieces were all mostly here already, but he implemented a system and a philosophy that worked wonders. He also did it in Arizona so I don't think it's fair to Buck to include him in with this.

That's fair. 

But, Buck needs to go after 2018.  He has become part of the problem, not part of the solution going forward.  He is one of the main reasons ZB is still here. Buck didn't want him dealt last July because he was delusional he had a playoff team.  IMO, Pete listens to Buck more than anyone else in the organization.

Can't rebuild right with Angolos. The team has MASN $$$$ RESIGN MANNY!!!!

I went to a lot of O's game in the rebuild era of 1999-2005, it wasn't fun. After Maz was fired I stopped my ticket plan. 

8 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

That's fair. 

But, Buck needs to go after 2018.  He has become part of the problem, not part of the solution going forward.  He is one of the main reasons ZB is still here. Buck didn't want him dealt last July because he was delusional he had a playoff team.  IMO, Pete listens to Buck more than anyone else in the organization.

I am fine with him leaving after this season. He probably wants to go after that anyway. I just hope he's not considered for a major FO position.

However, we're going to look back a Buck with rosy hindsight in a few years when we have some bum manager and a bum team.

14 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I am fine with him leaving after this season. He probably wants to go after that anyway. I just hope he's not considered for a major FO position.

However, we're going to look back a Buck with rosy hindsight in a few years when we have some bum manager and a bum team.

Yeah I don't want him in the FO.  He would be resigning guys like Hardy and Tillman out of loyalty, not if they can be effective.  I've had a gut full of his player evaluation skills the last 3 years. 

Yes, 2012-2014 will be looked back on very fondly.  But if you are being honest, 2015-2017 have been very mediocre.  And Buck lost the WC game for us in 2016. And I suspect 2018 is shaping up to be dreadful. The off season of 2014 killed this team's chances for stepping up to the next level.  

8 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Nothing to disagree with in that statement.

Not sure I can hang much blame on Buck for the 2014 off season. Just don't know what happened there other than Pete was being cheap.

12 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Not sure I can hang much blame on Buck for the 2014 off season. Just don't know what happened there other than Pete was being cheap.

DD was in a holding pattern, because he was expecting to move to Toronto. In fine Angelos fashion, it was analysis paralysis. He let that situation drag on for so long, there wasn't much DD (or anyone) could do at the point in he knew he was staying, and got back to work.  

1 minute ago, weird-O said:

DD was in a holding pattern, because he was expecting to move to Toronto. In fine Angelos fashion, it was analysis paralysis. He let that situation drag on for so long, there wasn't much DD (or anyone) could do at the point in he knew he was staying, and got back to work.  

1 minute ago, weird-O said:

Oh geez how could I have forgotten that. Yeah Pete butchered that one too.  Team hasn't been the same since.  Window slammed shut that winter and we didn't even know it.

28 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

The shame of it is that Cruz, Miller and Markakis got fair deals after they left. Now contracts are insane again. We should have kept all 3.

4 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

The shame of it is that Cruz, Miller and Markakis got fair deals after they left. Now contracts are insane again. We should have kept all 3.

At the time, I thought Miller was a "nice to keep" but not "need to keep" reliever, because the BP was stacked back then. Of course, that was back then. Miller @ $9M is a very nice price to pay for a top shelf closer that can give you multiple innings. 

Right. Tommy Hunter just signed a 2/$16 million dollar deal with Philly.

He should have been signed.

As long as Angelos runs things, this team will never amount to much. The worrying thing is, did he teach his children to run the team his way? With luck, the estate tax will force a sale, but I worry that Angelos found some way around that.