Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EaglePride

Whats up with Towson U Football

39 posts in this topic

I know of more than a few MIAA and Baltimore area Public kids that have gone there recently only to transfer out. Ambrose has a career losing record, they cannot keep Metro area kids, and they do very little local recruiting. I hear they only get like 3-4K fans for home games these days. How can a career loser like Ambrose continue to be employed and not keep local kids? Seems like for BMore area kids, Towson would be a great option considering in-state tuition, family can watch games and decent FCS level facilities. They had a run several years back when they went to the FCS ships, but nothing since. Sad.

I was told by a very credible HS coach in the area that Ambrose came to a State Coaches meeting and said that the reason none of the local kids go to Towson and Morgan is because their HS Coach doesn't support or endorse the programs and recommend that the kids go to out of town schools. The coach that told me that said that the coaches sat their in silence for a couple of seconds and then they all  laughed!. lol

At Scout that crazy, but never understood how Morgan and Towson are not stacked with Baltimore area kids

Whats crazy to me is how he's trying to blame the HS coaches for why they aren't going into the schools and recruiting the local kids

True I just don’t understand how the three big schools from here seem to just ignore Baltimore metro area smh 

On 12/21/2017 at 0:26 PM, scoutbmore said:

I was told by a very credible HS coach in the area that Ambrose came to a State Coaches meeting and said that the reason none of the local kids go to Towson and Morgan is because their HS Coach doesn't support or endorse the programs and recommend that the kids go to out of town schools. The coach that told me that said that the coaches sat their in silence for a couple of seconds and then they all  laughed!. lol

Sorry but I do NOT believe this.  I have been to events wherein Coach Ambrose has spoken and didn't utter such words that MD HS coaches don't endorse or support MD programs / Towson.

Word travels fast in HS coaching circles and Towson and Ambrose have a very bad rap. They rarely commit Balto/Metro area kids and when they do, they transfer after a year or two. I hear the entire staff from Ambrose down are just not ready for prime time. Lots of disrespect of players on and off the field by the coaching staff at Towson.

Heard from a very reliable source that Ambrose is a pompous ***. Treats the players poorly.  

On 12/21/2017 at 0:37 PM, city40blast said:

At Scout that crazy, but never understood how Morgan and Towson are not stacked with Baltimore area kids

It’s not crazy, City40B.  I think that most kids want to get away from their parents and spread their wings by going to an out of state school.  Unless a kid is a home body or mama’s boy, most would shun attending a school that is in close proximity to their high school.  

On 12/21/2017 at 0:37 PM, city40blast said:

5 hours ago, TheGuru said:

It’s not crazy, City40B.  I think that most kids want to get away from their parents and spread their wings by going to an out of state school.  Unless a kid is a home body or mama’s boy, most would shun attending a school that is in close proximity to their high school.  

4 hours ago, ECF said:

I just don't like the fact they will ask local kids to walk on.

Guru hit one of my points regarding this issue. Some kids do want to get away from family by leaving the area to spread their wings, which for most kids it's a good thing.  ECF hit on a point too. Former Long Reach QB Tyler Raines is at Towson via the Preferred Walk On (PWO) status. Not sure if former Glenelg athlete Brett Richardson was offered a scholarship or PWO.  And I know a couple of previous Howard players were offered PWOs from Morgan State, but were turned down.  Not sure if this is the normal practice for the B-more area kids but maybe their football scholarship programs are not fully funded, meaning they don't have all 63 scholarships to divide among athletes.  But either way its sad to see only 49 out of 91 players on Towson roster are from the MD/DC/VA area, Morgan St has 48 out 87 players from the MD/DC/VA area.

6 minutes ago, ShoNuff07 said:

.....  But either way its sad to see only 49 out of 91 players on Towson roster are from the MD/DC/VA area, Morgan St has 48 out 87 players from the MD/DC/VA area.

Sounds typical to a vamp.  How many at Virginia are from VA?  I mean players like Torrey Smith left the state of VA to play at UMD as players from MD went to VA or VA Tech.

21 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Sorry but I do NOT believe this.  I have been to events wherein Coach Ambrose has spoken and didn't utter such words that MD HS coaches don't endorse or support MD programs / Towson.

I agree with the crazy guy that thinks he is a vampire on this one.  Rob is just unvarnished.  He tells it like it is and has some fun as "the coach" doing it.  The fact is Towson is more attractive to kids from out of the area because they are limited options to play high level CAA/ Patriot nearby.  And simply because a kid is local doesn't mean he can play high level CAA.  He will keep schollys in his pocket to use on FBS transfers or kids that want to come home who are proven.  Towson has only caught on to regular local students in the last 5-10 years as under Gov Ehrlich a ton of money was invested in facilities to make it truly a viable alternative to UMD.  To many Baltimore area kids, it is still Tiger Tech or York Road U - because that is their parents perception.  Also, kids don't wan't often want to go to the school down the street unless there is some very special about it.  It's a perfectly good school - but it lacks a certain cachet.      

He's only been successful at one point. When a local kid happened to fall into his lap. (Terrence West). Don't excuse Ambrose's being an a**hole with an overblown ego as telling it like it is. They don't recruit local because he doesn't believe in the local kids. Ego is a dangerous thing. 

2 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Sounds typical to a vamp.  How many at Virginia are from VA?  I mean players like Torrey Smith left the state of VA to play at UMD as players from MD went to VA or VA Tech.

Day,

University of Va has 41 of 101 players on roster from the state of Va, 48 players if you include players from MD (6) and DC (1). But thanks to its "Public Ivy League" status University of Va attracts more than just kids in the MD/DC/VA area.  Plus there's 9 other D-I schools in Va, so I wouldn't think their roster would be much more than 50% Va athletes.

Thing is Morgan, Towson and Maryland sucks. The couple times they have been good since 2000, they were lead by local talent. Just be honest with ourselves these schools don’t think the local talent is good and will keep getting out of state second rate kids and their heads beat in. 

12 minutes ago, city40blast said:

Thing is Morgan, Towson and Maryland sucks. The couple times they have been good since 2000, they were lead by local talent. Just be honest with ourselves these schools don’t think the local talent is good and will keep getting out of state second rate kids and their heads beat in. 

City not always true, I know a student who was at Loyola who the coaches at Morgan wanted badly and his mother was actually so pissed at the coaches at Loyola for even suggesting that her son go to Morgan. He eventually transferred out.

Yes he is at Towson, that’s one kid but Morgan and Towson should have the Baltimore metro area on lock but they skip the public’s. I bet shepherd could beat Morgan with all the md kids on their roster lol

Lot of good points and perspective here regarding the Tigers. I have to agree that Ambrose, with the exception of 2012, has done nothing to really improve the program he took over from Gordy. This is a very good job in a very tough conference and I believe they have neglected some of the local talent at times. I think both Towson and Morgan recruit with the misguided perception that a 3rd tier kid from Florida or Texas is better that a first or 2nd tier kid from Maryland, JUST BECAUSE its Florida or Texas.

8 minutes ago, HY3:13 said:

Lot of good points and perspective here regarding the Tigers. I have to agree that Ambrose, with the exception of 2012, has done nothing to really improve the program he took over from Gordy. This is a very good job in a very tough conference and I believe they have neglected some of the local talent at times. I think both Towson and Morgan recruit with the misguided perception that a 3rd tier kid from Florida or Texas is better that a first or 2nd tier kid from Maryland, JUST BECAUSE its Florida or Texas.

I also think a lot of kids from area keep these schools on hold as a last choice hoping for something better. Didn't Sam Thomas commit and then decommit and go to Kent. 

5 hours ago, Fastbreak17 said:

He's only been successful at one point. When a local kid happened to fall into his lap. (Terrence West). Don't excuse Ambrose's being an a**hole with an overblown ego as telling it like it is. They don't recruit local because he doesn't believe in the local kids. Ego is a dangerous thing. 

C'mon man.  If wikipedia is up to date, after 17 season Gordy Combs was slightly over .500 with no playoff appearances.  Ambrose has nearly the same - albeit lower) win percentage after 9 seasons.  Except, he plays an FBS team every year.  He beat UConn and was leading LSU late in the 2nd half.   He not only made the playoffs (3-2 record) but made it to the national championship.  He's got a few guys in the League. All due respect to Gordy, but Rob has moved the program further in a far shorter time against much better competition.  Show me a kid who wanted to go to Towson, but ended up at a similar level or higher program based on his ability.  Local kids generally don't want to go to Towson.  Certainly not kids who's parents spend big bucks to send a kid to an IAC, MIAA or WCAC school.  If they can play, they are going to leverage it to something better.  It's a safety school with a full offer for some kids.  Or a come back school for kids that didn't get any PT from their FBS programs.  There is nothing wrong with Towson as a school.  He's looking for kids that want to play and don't have a preconceived bias about Towson.   To a kid from Florida or Hooterville, GA., it looks like a great opportunity.

14 hours ago, DMVFootball said:

C'mon man.  If wikipedia is up to date, after 17 season Gordy Combs was slightly over .500 with no playoff appearances.  Ambrose has nearly the same - albeit lower) win percentage after 9 seasons.  Except, he plays an FBS team every year.  He beat UConn and was leading LSU late in the 2nd half.   He not only made the playoffs (3-2 record) but made it to the national championship.  He's got a few guys in the League. All due respect to Gordy, but Rob has moved the program further in a far shorter time against much better competition.  Show me a kid who wanted to go to Towson, but ended up at a similar level or higher program based on his ability.  Local kids generally don't want to go to Towson.  Certainly not kids who's parents spend big bucks to send a kid to an IAC, MIAA or WCAC school.  If they can play, they are going to leverage it to something better.  It's a safety school with a full offer for some kids.  Or a come back school for kids that didn't get any PT from their FBS programs.  There is nothing wrong with Towson as a school.  He's looking for kids that want to play and don't have a preconceived bias about Towson.   To a kid from Florida or Hooterville, GA., it looks like a great opportunity.

Were those games against LSU & Uconn during the time that West was on the team? Another question.......Bowie has a roster full of MD players. They wouldn't consider Towson as well if Towson recruited them? Yes I know it's D2 but they can play at Towson. Stop making excuses for this guy. He doesn't recruit the area as he should.  When watching Towson play they just look bad on the field. Curious to know what his record is minus the Terrence West era. 

Monmouths Receiver & QB are from Baltimore. JMU DE's & MLB are from the area. I wonder if Towson recruited them