Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EaglePride

Whats up with Towson U Football

39 posts in this topic

I know Shepherd has a real good D2 program but they like to redshirt the freshman and that means more money coming out of your pocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DMVFootball said:

I agree with the crazy guy that thinks he is a vampire on this one.  Rob is just unvarnished.  He tells it like it is and has some fun as "the coach" doing it.  The fact is Towson is more attractive to kids from out of the area because they are limited options to play high level CAA/ Patriot nearby.  And simply because a kid is local doesn't mean he can play high level CAA.  He will keep schollys in his pocket to use on FBS transfers or kids that want to come home who are proven.  Towson has only caught on to regular local students in the last 5-10 years as under Gov Ehrlich a ton of money was invested in facilities to make it truly a viable alternative to UMD.  To many Baltimore area kids, it is still Tiger Tech or York Road U - because that is their parents perception.  Also, kids don't wan't often want to go to the school down the street unless there is some very special about it.  It's a perfectly good school - but it lacks a certain cachet.      

Sorry DMV, but all schools that gives out any form of an athletic scholarship (FBS, FCS, D-II, JUCO and NAIA) holds on to an athletic scholarship or more just in case an "alleged" top recruit or more falls into their lap.  So I am afraid you can't use that for an excuse.

Here's a link to players that Towson offered during the class of 2017 according to 247Sports:

https://towson.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Offers

You notice most of the MD players that committed elsewhere committed to schools that gave full rides (FBS),  Now i am not sure if Towson's fully funded (all 63 equivalency scholarships), but they are splitting quite a few of those scholarship among their players. You should alos notice on that list that they offered much more players out of the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Sorry DMV, but all schools that gives out any form of an athletic scholarship (FBS, FCS, D-II, JUCO and NAIA) holds on to an athletic scholarship or more just in case an "alleged" top recruit or more falls into their lap.  So I am afraid you can't use that for an excuse.

Here's a link to players that Towson offered during the class of 2017 according to 247Sports:

https://towson.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Offers

You notice most of the MD players that committed elsewhere committed to schools that gave full rides (FBS),  Now i am not sure if Towson's fully funded (all 63 equivalency scholarships), but they are splitting quite a few of those scholarship among their players. You should alos notice on that list that they offered much more players out of the area.

So you are a kid who gets an offer from Towson and one from Notre Dame...which one are you going to take?   My point is that local kids do not yet hold Towson in as a high a regard as others.  They lose top local kids to programs with more allure.  They can go to other markets and find a kid that thinks Towson is awesome - not second place.  The DMV gets picked over by every major school.  To suggest that Towson should just stick with second tier local kids sounds more like parochial charity.  This is a business. They have a certain kid they are looking for as every program does.

I have talked to a ton of recruiters over the past couple of years.  They all tell me the same thing.  Kids from certain schools and leagues are more coveted.  A statistically average player from one school/ league will pan out better at the next level than a big stat kid playing against really low level competition.  The high school "destination programs" also have stable coaching staffs where they can get a sound reference any kid year in and year out.  If he is playing at a destination high school program, he is going to have the advantage because we are dealing with 17 & 18 year old kids - which means there is always the element of a crap-shoot present.

It's not a lot different than what is going on with their mens lacrosse program.  The high profile local kids on the roster all started out somewhere else first.  They "came home" because they couldn't get on the field.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DMVFootball said:

So you are a kid who gets an offer from Towson and one from Notre Dame...which one are you going to take?   My point is that local kids do not yet hold Towson in as a high a regard as others.  They lose top local kids to programs with more allure.  They can go to other markets and find a kid that thinks Towson is awesome - not second place.  The DMV gets picked over by every major school.  To suggest that Towson should just stick with second tier local kids sounds more like parochial charity.  This is a business. They have a certain kid they are looking for as every program does.

I have talked to a ton of recruiters over the past couple of years.  They all tell me the same thing.  Kids from certain schools and leagues are more coveted.  A statistically average player from one school/ league will pan out better at the next level than a big stat kid playing against really low level competition.  The high school "destination programs" also have stable coaching staffs where they can get a sound reference any kid year in and year out.  If he is playing at a destination high school program, he is going to have the advantage because we are dealing with 17 & 18 year old kids - which means there is always the element of a crap-shoot present.

It's not a lot different than what is going on with their mens lacrosse program.  The high profile local kids on the roster all started out somewhere else first.  They "came home" because they couldn't get on the field.

 

DMV,

FCS schools are pretty much 2nd tier schools, because they offer partial scholarships. So going after 2nd tier athletes is Towson basically staying in their lane. Why go to Towson when a FBS school, even if its University of Kansas, is offering a full ride?  Get your 2nd tier kids, especially the ones in the Maryland area that will have family and friends to attend games...which means money for the school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ShoNuff07 said:

DMV,

FCS schools are pretty much 2nd tier schools, because they offer partial scholarships. So going after 2nd tier athletes is Towson basically staying in their lane. Why go to Towson when a FBS school, even if its University of Kansas, is offering a full ride?  Get your 2nd tier kids, especially the ones in the Maryland area that will have family and friends to attend games...which means money for the school.

If you look at the OFFERS and then flip to COMMITS, you see that of the 2017 class, the only rated guys were 3 of the 4 commits from Maryland.  The rest were a collection of guys from other states.  The rated guys were only 2 stars.  And these are not exactly name brand local guys to be honest.  

Back to the OFFERS.   Most of the guys they offered were 3 stars and from all over and they all committed to major BCS programs.  In this case, they are taking the shots and trying to get highly rated kids.  Making it look like you are in the hunt for a national prospect is a form of program awareness marketing.  

I am not sure that FCS and splitting scholarships is universal.  Towson can, and does, split them.  But they are one of the few that am aware of that do it.  I don't think Patriots do it.  Ivy's do not (because they are not athletic).  So I honestly don't understand how that makes them (or FCS) second tier.  Perhaps other common factors make them second tier in the eyes of the players (facilities or national recognition, for example).

I don't think state school coaches bat an eye regarding gate revenue of a local kids family.  That's the schools job to market to the community.

Not sure we are debating the same matter.  But I think they do get a share of local 2nd tier guys.  They definitely don't get the best local guys - and we have a slew of them in the DMV.  Not sure how that is their fault.  It is what it is because the kids have options as the DMV is a hotbed that any recruiter worth his stopwatch knows where the players are.  If a kid they passed on that they actually knew about goes on to greatness somewhere else, that wouldn't be the only time that has happened.  But I don't think it is the institutional mindset.  If you can play and they think you might be interested as a local player, they will talk to you.  But if they have to convince you that Towson is as good a school as Villanova or Yale, or as good a program as Ohio State or Cal, then they know you are not a fit for them.  I know that to be 100% true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2017 at 0:56 AM, DMVFootball said:

If you look at the OFFERS and then flip to COMMITS, you see that of the 2017 class, the only rated guys were 3 of the 4 commits from Maryland.  The rest were a collection of guys from other states.  The rated guys were only 2 stars.  And these are not exactly name brand local guys to be honest.  

Back to the OFFERS.   Most of the guys they offered were 3 stars and from all over and they all committed to major BCS programs.  In this case, they are taking the shots and trying to get highly rated kids.  Making it look like you are in the hunt for a national prospect is a form of program awareness marketing.  

I am not sure that FCS and splitting scholarships is universal.  Towson can, and does, split them.  But they are one of the few that am aware of that do it.  I don't think Patriots do it.  Ivy's do not (because they are not athletic).  So I honestly don't understand how that makes them (or FCS) second tier.  Perhaps other common factors make them second tier in the eyes of the players (facilities or national recognition, for example).

I don't think state school coaches bat an eye regarding gate revenue of a local kids family.  That's the schools job to market to the community.

Not sure we are debating the same matter.  But I think they do get a share of local 2nd tier guys.  They definitely don't get the best local guys - and we have a slew of them in the DMV.  Not sure how that is their fault.  It is what it is because the kids have options as the DMV is a hotbed that any recruiter worth his stopwatch knows where the players are.  If a kid they passed on that they actually knew about goes on to greatness somewhere else, that wouldn't be the only time that has happened.  But I don't think it is the institutional mindset.  If you can play and they think you might be interested as a local player, they will talk to you.  But if they have to convince you that Towson is as good a school as Villanova or Yale, or as good a program as Ohio State or Cal, then they know you are not a fit for them.  I know that to be 100% true.

Thanks for jarring my memory DMV. For the most part the Patriot League doesn't split their athletic scholarship since the league agreed to offer them in starting 2013 (http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/02/04/in-fcs-huddle-scholarships-all-difference-in-patriot.html).  However, Georgetown still don't award football scholarships.

Also, in addition to the Ivy League, the Pioneer Football League http://www.pioneer-football.org/pfl/default/   don't award football scholarships as well.

You believe Towson gets its fair share of local 2nd tier (FCS-ish) athletes. I think our argument is that Towson could get MORE THAN its fair share of those athletes IF they offer more of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2017 at 1:30 PM, Fastbreak17 said:

Monmouths Receiver & QB are from Baltimore. JMU DE's & MLB are from the area. I wonder if Towson recruited them

They have a safety (Curley) and LB  (Gilman) from Baltimore too. In all it's 16 MD players on the roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, Fastbreak17 said:

Monmouths Receiver & QB are from Baltimore. JMU DE's & MLB are from the area. I wonder if Towson recruited them

Towson recruited both Robert & Ron'Dell Carter coming out of HS. Robert was offered a PWO and Ron'Dell was offered a full ride as a TE/HB by Coach Reno who actually did a good job recruiting the area.

Edited by ECF
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ECF said:

Towson recruited both Robert & Ron'Dell Carter from JMU. Robert was offered a PWO and Ron'Dell was offered as a TE/HB by Coach Reno who actually did a good job recruiting the area.

Why would they ask him to be a walk on if he's a scholarship player? And no, Towson didn't offer,or recruit Monmouths best Wr or QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, scoutbmore said:

Why would they ask him to be a walk on if he's a scholarship player? And no, Towson didn't offer,or recruit Monmouths best Wr or QB. 

Coming out of HS Robert Carter was offered a PWO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ECF said:

Towson recruited both Robert & Ron'Dell Carter coming out of HS. Robert was offered a PWO and Ron'Dell was offered a full ride as a TE/HB by Coach Reno who actually did a good job recruiting the area.

Reno was decent at best. Known of kids that ran 4.4 low at their camps who had really good film, size and grades that they didnt offer. Also sent him kids up to Syracuse that they didnt offer and those same kids are now playing against them in the ACC. Kids were hand delivered to him! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

Reno was decent at best. Known of kids that ran 4.4 low at their camps who had really good film, size and grades that they didnt offer. Also sent him kids up to Syracuse that they didnt offer and those same kids are now playing against them in the ACC. Kids were hand delivered to him! 

 

Reno absolutely tries to over analyze recruits and frequently misses out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look they suck no way around it.  Ambrose has had one winning season without West and hasn't been in the playoffs without him.  He's 52-54 overall, with West he was 29-10, without 23-44 you can do the math.  You ask most that were on the team when West was there and figure out why Ambrose has a bad rep.  And you can back that up with West's tenure in the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ambrose and crew are just not good coaches, period. Career losing record says it all. Used car salesman to the public, disrespectful clown to his team. The few kids that I know personally who were recruited by Towson and left, have said some disturbingly weird stories about how Ambrose, Kosmakos and the rest of the Towson staff conduct business. Like one of the other posters said, there is just no interest in local Maryland college football. Terps stadium is always half empty, Towson and Morgan are even more pathetic attendance wise with little or no support from the student body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0