Evil Yoda

"Papa" John Schnatter stepping down as CEO of his pizza chain

122 posts in this topic

Possibly related to his comments made about NFL leadership "harming" his shareholders and brand, because it did not "nip protests in the bud". This refers to players kneeling to protest out of control police departments. One industry expert, consultant John Gordon, wonders if this was Schnatter's decision or his board's.

Edited by Evil Yoda

17 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Possibly related to his comments made about NFL leadership "harming" his shareholders and brand, because it did not "nip protests in the bud". This refers to players kneeling to protest out of control police departments. One industry expert, consultant John Gordon, wonders if this was Schnatter's decision or his board's.

Peyton refused to do more commercials with him ......

4 hours ago, can you hear me now! said:

the free market has spoken...good riddance to another clueless rich guy.....

I agree he is clueless in the sense that if you have a name brand, you don't mix politics, religion or any of that with your brand name.  But he wasn't clueless in making money, a lot more than me.  

32 minutes ago, jdsample said:

I agree he is clueless in the sense that if you have a name brand, you don't mix politics, religion or any of that with your brand name.  But he wasn't clueless in making money, a lot more than me.  

It makes you wonder how someone so blessed and talented could make such a strategic error. His business is so heavily connected to sports, busting the chops of the NFL is obviously a bad move. But, he has worked hard and he and his family are set for life.  

1 hour ago, jdsample said:

His pizza is awful. Of course true of all chain pizza companies!

I stopped going to Papa Johns when he said he would have to lay people off because he couldn't afford Obamacare for his employees.

Then I read he was a billionaire. My heart just won't ache for billionaires over nonsense.

1 hour ago, ms maggie said:

I don't go because he advertises better ingredients and refuses to say what is in them.  And I hated the commercials with Peyton.  

As for chains, I kind of like Old Chicago once in a while.  Maybe because I'm done with a beer before the pizza arrives.  ;)

Edited by jdsample

4 minutes ago, jdsample said:

I don't go because he advertises better ingredients and refuses to say what is in them.  And I hated the commercials with Peyton.  

As for chains, I kind of like Old Chicago once in a while.  Maybe because I'm done with a beer before the pizza arrives.  ;)

I'm a fan of the really, really thin crust pizzas, think they're called "neopolitan".  You can eat a 12" pie by yourself and convince yourself you're not a pig! Downside is not good for take-out. Ice cold by the time you pull out of the parking lot. 

1st world problems huh?

1 hour ago, FatBoy said:

It makes you wonder how someone so blessed and talented could make such a strategic error. His business is so heavily connected to sports, busting the chops of the NFL is obviously a bad move. But, he has worked hard and he and his family are set for life.  

I think we see many examples around the country where to quote Dirty Harry, "a man has to know his limitations."  The other side of the same coin is Colin Kapernick.  Potential at QB but not a prodigy and he put his politics on the field in front of his employer, then turned down his contract thinking he could score big somewhere else,  Maybe he should deliver pizza for Papa John since he ruined his own career and then Papa John ruined his own commenting on it.  What a pair!  Or he could be big in the CFL.  

3 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

I'm a fan of the really, really thin crust pizzas, think they're called "neopolitan".  You can eat a 12" pie by yourself and convince yourself you're not a pig! Downside is not good for take-out. Ice cold by the time you pull out of the parking lot. 

1st world problems huh?

I agree.  Thin crust is the best.  When I moved back here everyone was mad about Beau Jo's Mountain Pie.  Great atmosphere, beer in a Mason jar, but the pizza is like a cake with pepperoni.  It was easily an inch thick.  You can't even eat one piece and you feel like a pig.  It wasn't deep dish, it was cake pan pizza.  All bread.  But for some reason people loved it.  I guess because it was local and not a national chain.  

My favorite pizza used to be from the Brick Oven in Austin.  OTW home I would get an artichoke alfredo pizza and 6 pack of Shiner Bock.  My wife and I would have it in the driveway in the 66 Dodge Dart because the kids were already in bed.  I'm not as old as the car suggests, it was over 20 years old and something of a joke that I kept it going.  Really the only pizza I ever liked with white sauce.  

4 minutes ago, jdsample said:

I agree.  Thin crust is the best.  When I moved back here everyone was mad about Beau Jo's Mountain Pie.  Great atmosphere, beer in a Mason jar, but the pizza is like a cake with pepperoni.  It was easily an inch thick.  You can't even eat one piece and you feel like a pig.  It wasn't deep dish, it was cake pan pizza.  All bread.  But for some reason people loved it.  I guess because it was local and not a national chain.  

My favorite pizza used to be from the Brick Oven in Austin.  OTW home I would get an artichoke alfredo pizza and 6 pack of Shiner Bock.  My wife and I would have it in the driveway in the 66 Dodge Dart because the kids were already in bed.  I'm not as old as the car suggests, it was over 20 years old and something of a joke that I kept it going.  Really the only pizza I ever liked with white sauce.  

Love it! Recall back when my first husband and I had five kids and little money. A big treat was very rarely cooking out, burgers for the kids and steaks for the two of us. Told the kids the steak tasted like onions and they wouldn't like it. 

The older kids still tease me about it. I don't feel a bit of guilt!

Oh to be young....

1 hour ago, ms maggie said:

1st world problems huh?

Agreed. I never understood the appeal of the “deep dish” type pizza. I never want pizza to resemble a loaf of bread. 

5 hours ago, jdsample said:

money doesn't equal intelligence. since I don't eat pizza I cannot comment on the quality of his product.

3 hours ago, prodigalson1 said:

I stopped going to Papa Johns when he said he would have to lay people off because he couldn't afford Obamacare for his employees.

Then I read he was a billionaire. My heart just won't ache for billionaires over nonsense.

Same here. Plus his pizza isn’t exactly the best. Way too many better pizza options out there. 

Papa Johns (to me) is tasteless. About the blandest pizza around. No big loss to me. 

I’ll take pizza from Gil’s any day and twice on Sunday! 

10 hours ago, can you hear me now! said:

the free market has spoken...good riddance to another clueless rich guy.....

I thought the same thing about Colin Kaepernick.

7 minutes ago, Glengarry said:

I thought the same thing about Colin Kaepernick.

If P-Diddy gets the [black] Panthers he’ll have a starting job for at least one season. 

5 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Never understood why anyone would get pizza from Dominos, Pizza Hut, PapaJohns, etc when most cities have non-chain or small M&P pizzerias that put the tasteless globs of dough and ketchup served by the big guys to shame.

I assume Baltimore and the surrounding metroplex has a good selection of local joints, at least I hope so.

Just now, Marshan Man said:

If P-Diddy gets the [black] Panthers he’ll have a starting job for at least one season. 

The other 31 owners are sure to approve his purchase, they'll just overlook all those arrests for all those violent crimes. :rolleyes:

The NFL is not a supermarket where you just walk in and buy what you want.  It's a good ol' boy network, a clubhouse where they alone get to choose their fellow members.  Doubtful that "Puff Daddy" and his long rap sheet is gonna make the cut.

But you keep wishin'! :lol:

26 minutes ago, Glengarry said:

The other 31 owners are sure to approve his purchase, they'll just overlook all those arrests for all those violent crimes. :rolleyes:

The NFL is not a supermarket where you just walk in and buy what you want.  It's a good ol' boy network, a clubhouse where they alone get to choose their fellow members.  Doubtful that "Puff Daddy" and his long rap sheet is gonna make the cut.

But you keep wishin'! :lol:

You keep wishing too. I knew that would strike a nerve. :lol:

32 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Cam Newton may disagree with your assessment. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Marshan Man said:

Same here. Plus his pizza isn’t exactly the best. Way too many better pizza options out there. 

Chicago Pizza in the 2700 blk of Edmondson Ave. 👍

They deliver. 

Good-bye and thank donald.

non-stop commercials to sell his pizza......they must have been awful.