Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Manny

John Harbaugh

103 posts in this topic

Prior to the bye, it would have been fair to say Coach Harbaugh was on the hot seat. Now, this team is 5-1 since bye. Who could have envisioned that? 

Like many years, injures took a toll. The locker room could have split early on with the defense playing great while the offense lacked any creativity. If the Ravens take care of business next week, I think John Harbaugh deserves a great deal of credit. And looking at the bigger picture, this could be 7out of 10 years in the playoffs. They have always been a tough out in January.

Yes I know they were flat today. Still this would have been an-almost certain loss back in October.

I said at the halfway point he had to make the playoffs to save his job .....

I'll stick to that although I believe in the unlikely event that they choke and lose next week he will still be here next week.....

For some reason, they flipped a switch on Flacco and he turned his season around......

Back got better? Who knows but he is playing solid now, not great, but not horrible like he was during the first half .....

Every coach not named Belichick does things to make fans scratch their heads. Harbaugh's fine; they need better players at a number of positions. Injuries have been devastating, but they affect every team. But yeah, he seems to be able to keep his teams from imploding no matter how they're doing in the standings. Speaks to the character of vets like Suggs, Flacco, and Webb.

His coordinators are weak links. 

Webb...he hasn't been playing much as of late has he?

As for Harbaugh...

He wasn't going to get fired unless the Ravens went sub .500, IMO.  Given the injuries, etc, I think he has some leeway. 

They are *probably* in as it stands.  I think Tennessee is going to lose out, and Buffalo splits.  Los Angeles I think *is* out, or just about, I know they lose the tie-breaker with the Ravens anyway via conference records. 

As maddening as some of his decisions are, for them to be where they are right now is somewhat of a miracle, and really overall one hell of a coaching job.  Pees, IMO, is the weak link.  I'm not going to throw Marty under the bus - because the offense has quietly become one of the top units in the second half of the season - hard to believe, but true.  Much of it to me was more about the offensive line and Flacco, and not the schemes or calls.  Pees on the otherhand, I think he has to go at the end of the season.  The talent is much better than they are playing, and his schemes have been really stupid at times(such as, Pittsburgh game). 

They made a lot of defensive upgrades in the off-season which Pees is not using well, as we saw yesterday when a mediocre opponent passed well too many times. I agree that Harbaugh has saved his job, which I thought was in real jeopardy earlier in the year. He will probably receive another one year extension as he has two or three years in a row now. Pees will be encouraged to follow that retirement dream. I think Marty's play calling is uninspired, but there's real evidence that part of the problem was Joe's back. Marty will probably return. They might fire the strength and conditioning coach again because of the injuries, but a lot of teams have that problem.

I heard the theory that one acquires a back injury like Joe's from attempting to do too much, too fast in the weight room. If that's what happened, they need to ensure that Joe understands that between the final game and the start of OTAs he still has a job: staying in good condition so that he doesn't need to over-exert. Indeed, there's no excuse for any professional at the NFL level coming to camp unable to pass that early physical.

Another year of the Ravens being lucky if the back into the playoffs so John can keep his job. Do you see a superbowl team on the field at any time this year? No. They lose games they should win, stupid vanilla plays, bad coach calls, etc etc. It never changes.  

Yeah as really hope that John Harbaugh can keep his job. And will win the last game as well as hope they can have a team like Miami loss to help their chances.

I generally like him except his penchant for  going for it on 4th downs while in FG range. Drives me nuts, just seems to me I've watched the Ravens for years lose games by 3 or less or even 6 or less  when fg's were passed up for unsuccessful 4th down attempts.

Another one-- though I don't notice this one as a regular, but I thought it would have been better to have, what 3rd and 11 rather than 4th & 1 when they were on defense.  Seems to me 4th &1 is a high percentage play in favor of the offense, in general. 

If they lose today, in wake of last week’s performance, there should be legitimate discussions about Harbaugh’s future.

Pees is retiring but Marty needs to go regardless.

2 hours ago, Manny said:

If they lose today, in wake of last week’s performance, there should be legitimate discussions about Harbaugh’s future.

This

I will not be sorry to see him gone tomorrow 

Please fire this entire coaching staff tomorrow! What a disgusting performance. These guys have become complete losers. They always find a way to lose. Dean Pees, please retire immediately. John Harbaugh, college football is calling you. Bye bye.  Marty Mornhinweg, please find another profession.

That was a disaster. 

I said when we got the ball with 6 minutes left, I don't want the Bengals to touch the ball again. If they do, Ravens are going to lose 31-27.

I hate being right once in awhile! :eek:

Hairball lost control of the team in week 3 and never got it back. He has also been living off of Brian's team until the last 3 loosing seasons. Says volumes.

Posted (edited)

He has to have blown more late leads than any active coach. I refuse to believe anyone could have a worse record. 

Christ he might have it with Pittsburgh and Cincinnati alone lol

Edited by Kawalimus

Posted (edited)

Billick's teams had a great record with double digit and second half leads.  Yes they had some great defenses, but also some terrible QBs and offenses.  Yet they managed to manage field position, burn clock with the run game, and hold on at a great clip.  

This was basically a playoff game.  JAX had nothing to play for really and MIA is MIA, they're not getting it done against a team WITH something to play for.  Ever.  And once again, a Harbs team blows a lead in glorious fashion down the stretch to literally throw away a playoff birth.  I'm done with it...

You can't take a Superbowl win away from Flacco and Harb's resume... but even that big win was one play away from turning in to the biggest Superbowl lead blown in NFL history (at the time).

Edited by Ravens2006

I've had some criticisms of Harbaugh.  He has his deficiencies.  But given the injuries this team has suffered I think he returns.  It's tough to win in this league today the way the rules are when you have no play makers.  If I was inclined to make a change, it's at GM.  I've read that some teams have expressed interest yet again in Eric DeCosta.  He has always stayed loyal to the Ravens, maybe because he thought Ozzy would eventually retire.  But how long is that going to continue?  Maybe it is time to go in a different direction and give DeCosta his chance before he goes somewhere else.  

This team needs some innovation and as long as the current staff is there it ain't happening. The staff is set up to play close games, not take risks.

Even with Pees leaving the philosophy will stay the same. His replacement will be another bland scheme.

1 hour ago, cprenegade said:

I've had some criticisms of Harbaugh.  He has his deficiencies.  But given the injuries this team has suffered I think he returns.  It's tough to win in this league today the way the rules are when you have no play makers.  If I was inclined to make a change, it's at GM.  I've read that some teams have expressed interest yet again in Eric DeCosta.  He has always stayed loyal to the Ravens, maybe because he thought Ozzy would eventually retire.  But how long is that going to continue?  Maybe it is time to go in a different direction and give DeCosta his chance before he goes somewhere else.  

I think that Harbaugh would be canned if Ozzie gets the boot. Overall, I think Harbaugh did a decent job with a,team that really does not have an offensive playmaker to lean on. Harbaugh can only work with what has been given to him by the front office, and I doubt that Ozzie is going to be fired. While Harbaugh has his flaws, his teams play hard for him and I think that this year's team may have actually overachiever a bit when you consider all the injuries. I think that he will be back next year.

23 minutes ago, russsnyder said:

I think that Harbaugh would be canned if Ozzie gets the boot. Overall, I think Harbaugh did a decent job with a,team that really does not have an offensive playmaker to lean on. Harbaugh can only work with what has been given to him by the front office, and I doubt that Ozzie is going to be fired. While Harbaugh has his flaws, his teams play hard for him and I think that this year's team may have actually overachiever a bit when you consider all the injuries. I think that he will be back next year.

I agree.  I put less of the blame on Harbuagh.   I think if anyone needs to go it's Ozzy Newsome.  I don't think he is terrible, but in a world without Ray Lewis he is 1 for 5 making the playoffs with the talent he has drafted and the team he has built.  I think maybe it is time for some new blood at the GM position.  

I think Harbaugh comes back, but I wouldn't be surprised if Marty didn't return next season. The cautionary tale here is, however, if Harbaugh comes back, and the Ravens don't extend him, then don't expect Gary Kubiak or any other high-profile coordinators to make their way to Baltimore next season.

Harbaugh's current extension carries through 2019, which means he could be a lame duck next season if the Ravens miss the postseason again. Assistant coaches aren't typically attracted to jobs where the head coach doesn't have the security of a multi-year contract.