Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
themamba

themamba's MPSSAA '17-18 Basketball Report

177 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, BmoreSports77 said:

Lies.  Caught in your lie. 

Not mad, literally lmao 😂 

You were NOT at that game! And I MOST CERTAINLY WAS COURTSIDE!!! 

You were copying and pasting from twitter. Down to an error.  Ask me how I know?  

10 percent "mamba". Ten. Per.cent. 

Lmao...mamba - "the great regurgitator".

1 hour ago, themamba said:

Its obvious you are very angry I was at the game and you were not. I get it. Not only did I have my ticket taken care of, I got my man I brought with me, in, too. Don't trip, its not the first time, and for my money, not the last. 

Like I said earlier, stick to who is walking around Gilman, how impressed you are with yourself, and how much more you know about basketball than anyone, the board cannot have enough of those types. Look forward to the Hammond updates, too.

Heads up, too. If you are going to mentally torture yourself every time I go to a game, you are going to go insane. I get to a lot of games. Headed to one now. Good luck. If it gets real bad, phone a friend.

5 minutes ago, DJGreg1200 said:

Lake Clifton knocks off Poly 38-34

Worst officiating ever!! 

3 hours ago, themamba said:

Its obvious you are very angry......

Yep, quite a few Angry Bird logons of late.  But it doesn't take too much to determine their pattern, even when they try to hide it.....  ;)

But my favorite is NoHuddleNoMercy.   The Bear and the Hunter, the Bear and the Hunter --- Just Ain't Here For The Hunt Anymore

10 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Yep, quite a few Angry Bird logons of late.  But it doesn't take too much to determine their pattern, even when they try to hide it.....  ;)

But my favorite is NoHuddleNoMercy.   The Bear and the Hunter, the Bear and the Hunter --- Just Ain't Here For The Hunt Anymore

Momma's-boy and the gaystalker = Twitter-dee and Twitter-dumb...lmao.😂😂😂

48 days in, 48 days out from Championship Saturday. A look at the MPSSAA, half way through.

City League

In the City League, Poly was/is the favorite, and still likely the best team in the league, despite their first loss to a MPSSAA team, falling to Lake Clifton on Friday, 38-34. Give credit to Poly, in addition to facing their league slate, the Engineers have faced Perry Hall, Riverdale Baptist, Olympia NC, and St Frances, and still have Simeon IL, John Carroll, and Mount Carmel, ahead. Long Beach St Demetrius Mims has stepped into the star role, after playing the #2 guy on last year's state title team. Sophomores Ra Ra Ali and Justin Lewis give the Engineers a pair of the best of the 2020 impact players in the area.

Dunbar is 1 of 2 teams in the state that remains undefeated, along with Wi-Hi, after edging Dunbar of DC, 52-49, Saturday. Da'shawn Phillip leads the Poets, who still have their toughest tests ahead of them, in Poly, Lake, Patterson, and Edmondson. Phillip, who has an offer from James Madison, has been the Poets leader for three years now. Zephaniah Esguerra is the other returning starter for the Poets.

Poly is still a favorite to repeat in 3A, but their toughest test may be right in their own region, v #5 Potomac. Dunbar should be the favorite in 1A, with Fairmont Heights, Douglass, and Joppatowne, the three top contenders. Lake, Edmondson, and Patterson, will all battle each other, along with New Town and Gwynn Park, in the 2A North. The winner of this region should be the favorite in 2A, with Oakdale, Wicomico, and River Hill, the early favorites in the other regions.

The Poets are going through their longest championship drought since joining the MPSSAA, 4+ years. After 4-peating from '10-13, and winning 14 titles in its first 21 years in the association, the Poets haven't won a regional title, since. Meanwhile, four other league opponents have won state titles in that time frame (City '14, Edmondson '14, Poly '17, Patterson '17), and another played in back-to-back title games (Lake, '15 and '16).

Tree's Lakers always seem to get a top 5 win every season, while holding the opponent to the mid 30's or low 40's, and they did that Friday, knocking off Poly, 38-34. Patterson, who lost Marvin Price to transfer, and Gerard Mungo to injury, is sputtering, losing to Ben Franklin by 11, to City College, 44-40, and Roosevelt DC, 87-79, all this week, to go with an opening night loss to Digital Harbor. On the other side, the Clippers have a 22 point win over Lake. Edmondson gave Milford Mill a loss, but were shut down by Lake Clifton, too, scoring just 26 points. The Red Storm are led by Teon Gardner, who led Westside to the state final last year. The Black Knights of City College have the win over Patterson, but has a loss to Southwestern, who also has a win over Dundalk, but big losses to Poly, Edmondson, and Mervo.

Ranked teams; #1 Poly (8-3), #4 Dunbar (10-0), #9 Lake Clifton (9-3), #12 Edmondson (8-2), #28 Mervo (7-2), #33 Southwestern (7-3), #37 City College (8-2), #50 Patterson (5-8).

Games this week; Monday - Patterson @ Joppatowne, Mervo v Mount Carmel, Friday - Edmondson @ Dunbar, Lake @ Mervo, City @ Poly, Saturday - Poly v Simeon (Chicago).

Edited by themamba

Great game at Perry Hall, as the Gators upend Eleanor Roosevelt, 71-66, in overtime. Higgs 3 with 2:14 left in overtime gave the Gators their first lead of the game. Gators trailed 42-27, three minutes into the second half. Tyler Holley's layup put the game into overtime. Holley scored 9 of his 17 points with the game-tying shot, and in OT. Higgs scored 19 for the Gators, Gross led the Raiders with 18.

Edited by themamba

Dulaney held off New Town, 58-56, with Ryan Conway scoring at the buzzer following a mad scramble after a Lions miss that touched 4 players hands on the floor before being delivered to Conway. Conway led the Evans-less Lions with 20 points, while Josh Cornish (16 in the first half) added 19. Martaz Robinson led the Titans with 19 points.

Edited by themamba

Darn, I knew I should have gone to that one!!!!!  Oh well....

15 minutes ago, DJGreg1200 said:

Woodlawn defeated Perry Hall tonight 52-50

5th loss in 14 games this season for the Gators, after going 26-2 last year, and returning Triple H - Higgs, Hardnett, and Holley. I remember watching their game last year v the Warriors, it was one of the toughest games of their state championship season,  trailing by 4 with 2 minutes to go. 

9 minutes ago, themamba said:

5th loss in 14 games this season for the Gators, after going 26-2 last year, and returning Triple H - Higgs, Hardnett, and Holley. I remember watching their game last year v the Warriors, it was one of the toughest games of their state championship season,  trailing by 4 with 2 minutes to go. 

This PH team sorely misses the guard from last year. I think his last name was Butler. He seemed to be able to settle things down and get them into the right offensive sets when needed.

9 minutes ago, DJGreg1200 said:

This PH team sorely misses the guard from last year. I think his last name was Butler. He seemed to be able to settle things down and get them into the right offensive sets when needed.

They lost Rider as well. Still, not many 26-2 state championship teams return 3 of their 4 leading scorers, including a pair of 6'8 and 6'9 forwards with the talent of Higgs and Hardnett. The Gators have had an admirable schedule, but are 3-5 in their 8 toughest games. Still, I fully expect them to be playing in XFinity.

From what I've seen and heard, they are as talented, if not more talented than last year if you add Walker, the 6'8" junior forward....but they do not appear to be AS HUNGRY. Also agree that losing a steady, senior PG form the 16-17 team hurts as well. 

19 minutes ago, HY3:13 said:

From what I've seen and heard, they are as talented, if not more talented than last year if you add Walker, the 6'8" junior forward....but they do not appear to be AS HUNGRY. Also agree that losing a steady, senior PG form the 16-17 team hurts as well. 

I agree. They may get hungrier over the next few weeks, the talent is there. Especially relative to the talent in the MPSSAA this year opposed to last, considering the quartet mentioned, and a year more seasoned. I agree that they miss that little point guard, Butler. Then again, many teams are missing a key part they had a year ago, but don't have the luxury of having that talent to overcome the deficiency. But as far as missing a floor general, one as DJ says can 'settle things down', agreed. I don't have their schedule in front of me, but I think their next test is 2.5 weeks away, when they host the Millers.

Last week, 5 of the top 7 took L's (Poly, Wise, Eleanor Roosevelt, Potomac, Paint Branch). This week, 5 of the top 7 took L's (Eleanor Roosevelt, Wise, Potomac, Perry Hall, Dulaney), including 3 last night - Wise, Potomac, and Dulaney.

[Cue Oprah meme, "You get a loss, and you get a loss, and you get a loss"]

Bowie bumped Wise, 59-52. Fairmont Heights beat Potomac in a shoot-out, 86-84, and Dundalk knocked off Dulaney, 74-66.

Springbrook held off Paint Branch in a MoCo heavyweight bout, 80-76, as Matt LeBlanc poured in 29 points. In AACo, Old Mill handled Meade, 55-40, and Southern edged Nap Town, 66-64.

8 minutes ago, themamba said:

[Cue Oprah meme, "You get a loss, and you get a loss, and you get a loss"]

:D

Meanwhile, the Dunbar Poets seem to be the only team to escape the bug over the last 2 weeks, after scoring 27 straight points in the 3rd quarter last night to crush the Red Storm of Edmondson, 64-42. The Red Storm scored the first bucket of the 2nd half to cut the 3 point halftime deficit to 1, before being blanked the final 7 minutes of the quarter, and before allowing the Poets 27 points in the stanza. Sophomore Jamal West scored 23 points, grabbed 16 rebounds, and blocked 5 shots. Poets leader Da'Shawn Phillip scored 21 points and grabbed 11 rebounds.

Edited by themamba

11 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

:D

😁

Morgan Park walked off the court after 1, due to shenanigans behind the bench. They're back. SFA up, 25-17.

Edited by themamba

Oh my......  :o

SFA, easy, 95-74. 5 Panthers in double figures. The Mustangs were led by sophs Watson (19) and Miller (16). The Mustangs are defending IL 3A state champions, but are 16-8 v a competitive schedule this year, including a 5 point loss to Findlay Prep. The 'Stangs lost to Simeon in a great city title game last year, then Simeon lost to Whitney Young in the playoffs, who they beat in the city semifinals. They miss Burnett and Johnson, who both moved out of Chicago. Great win for the Panthers. Size, ballers. Ferguson with 19. Epps, 15. Toler and Baldwin, 14 a piece.