themamba's MPSSAA '17-18 Basketball Report

177 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Mamba,

You forgot to rank Hammond.  ;)

21 hours ago, themamba said:

That's my cut card.

Sorry Mamba, I couldn't resist....  :D

A goodie in Greenbelt. The Pumas flipped the script of the first chapter, and did as the Raiders did, 2 weeks ago tonight, winning on the road, beating their arch villian. Keyshawn Johnson was the difference, nailing 7 3-pointers and scoring a career-high 24 points. The Raiders defense concentrated on the Pumas leading scorer, Sherwyn Devonish, and the 5'11 sophomore Johnson made them pay. A tight game throughout, the Raiders led by 4 at half, and the Pumas led by 4 after 3, following a Johnson 3 to end the third, and giving the Pumas a gap the Raiders wouldn't overcome. Devonish, the Pumas leading scorer, who came into the game averaging 20.2 points per game, scored just one bucket and just 2 points. Cameron Brown, who had an outstanding first half, scoring 16 points, led the Raiders with 20 points. Look for the third matchup of these PG heavywights in early March, in the regional final.

Edited by themamba

Wicomico Coach Butch Waller won his 800th game tonight, as WiHi blew out Mardela, 100-39. Waller, in his 52nd season with the Indians, became Maryland's public schools all-time winningest coach last season, surpassing Nap Town's John Brady's mark of 772. Waller, a 1958 WiHi graduate, has won 24 regional championships (last - '15, coached in 8 state finals (last - '13), and won a state title in 2002. This season, WiHi is 19-0, and just 1 of 2 teams in the state that is undefeated, along with the Poets of Dunbar.

24 minutes ago, themamba said:

Wicomico Coach Butch Waller won his 800th game tonight, as WiHi blew out Mardela, 100-39. Waller, in his 52nd season with the Indians, became Maryland's public schools all-time winningest coach last season, surpassing Nap Town's John Brady's mark of 772. Waller, a 1958 WiHi graduate, has won 24 regional championships (last - '15, coached in 8 state finals (last - '13), and won a state title in 2002. This season, WiHi is 19-0, and just 1 of 2 teams in the state that is undefeated, along with the Poets of Dunbar.

I've seen a few of Coach Waller's teams play in College Park including losing the state title game to Edmondson at the buzzer. Amazing how he's been able to change with the times and continues to field competitve teams. The other thing the sticks out is kids love playing for him.

On 2/1/2018 at 10:16 PM, DJGreg1200 said:

I've seen a few of Coach Waller's teams play in College Park including losing the state title game to Edmondson at the buzzer. Amazing how he's been able to change with the times and continues to field competitve teams. The other thing the sticks out is kids love playing for him.

I too have seen Waller and WiHi over the years, probably a dozen times or so, and have also remember thinking in his last 2 trips to College Park about him having coached in 6 different decades, and the changes to the game over the years, and how he adapts. I've also noted what a great relationship he has with his players.

Great atmosphere last night on Kilimanjaro for the Larry Aaron Jr benefit game. Oakland Mills has always rallied around their own, but last night was something else. We had a benefit last week for him as well, and Ledo's in Fulton had one for him on Tuesday. His Dad, Larry Sr, was one of the first people I met after moving from Chicago, and played on the same baseball teams my first 2 years here.

Larry Jr was shot at a New Years party in Fort Meade, by a bullet that wasn't meant for him (two groups he didn't know had a beef at the house party), as he covered his girlfriend, paralyzing him from the waste down. 'L' was a member of the OM basketball state title team in '15, and the tackle that protected Pindell and pushed the run game for the Scorpions. Like his Dad, he was also a standout on the diamond.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-boys-basketball-oakland-mills-hammond-larry-aaron-benefit-game-20180202-story,amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

4 hours ago, themamba said:

Great atmosphere last night on Kilimanjaro for the Larry Aaron Jr benefit game. Oakland Mills has always rallied around their own, but last night was something else. We had a benefit last week for him as well, and Ledo's in Fulton had one for him on Tuesday. His Dad, Larry Sr, was one of the first people I met after moving from Chicago, and played on the same baseball teams my first 2 years here.

Larry Jr was shot at a New Years party in Fort Meade, by a bullet that wasn't meant for him (two groups he didn't know had a beef at the house party), as he covered his girlfriend, paralyzing him from the waste down. 'L' was a member of the OM basketball state title team in '15, and the tackle that protected Pindell and pushed the run game for the Scorpions. Like his Dad, he was also a standout on the diamond.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-boys-basketball-oakland-mills-hammond-larry-aaron-benefit-game-20180202-story,amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

I want to buy a few of those t-shirts myself....

1 hour ago, ShoNuff07 said:

I want to buy a few of those t-shirts myself....

I'll see whats up, and get you how many you need.

After 12 years of writing and posting of other's kids, its always nice to post  about one of my own. I did use to post when my niece led Atholton to three straight Final 4's in her 3 years at Atholton, including leading them to their only state title in school history in '07. She was 3rd in the MPSSAA in 3's in '07, with 53, and hit 129 over her 3 years, She scored 17 in a huge upset over the top ranked public in the area, Western, in the state semifinals, including hitting the game-clinching 3 in overtime. She led the Raiders to the 3A state title game her senior season, losing to an outstanding Paint Branch team, featuring 3 D-1 players.

Fast forward 10 years. Tonight, HoCo Hall of Fame game, before a packed house on Centennial Lane. The Centennial Eagles facing the hottest team in HoCo, Mt Hebron, with the Vikings having beat both River Hill and Oakland Mills, the county's two best teams, over their last 6 games, all wins. The nephew, Sean Taylor, the leading scorer in the Eagles balanced lineup, hit 6 of 8 3's, 3 from 3 from the line, scoring 21 points and dishing out 3 assists in the Eagles 61-54 win over the Vikings, putting a halt to Hebron's 6 game win streak. The Eagles trailed most of the game, and down 49-45 with 5 to go, when Taylor hit his 6th trifecta, a And-1, 4-point play to tie the game and send the Eagles faithful into a frenzy. The momentum carried the Eagles to the 16-5 run to close it out against their chief rival. 

Edited by themamba

22 hours ago, themamba said:

Nice to see a feel good story about people helping others. Got to cut down on the gun violence. Just way too much with innocent people getting hurt. OM community gets props. 

2 hours ago, 58Colts said:

Nice to see a feel good story about people helping others. Got to cut down on the gun violence. Just way too much with innocent people getting hurt. OM community gets props. 

Too much. Lost 3 real good friends to bullets before they turned 30. My old neighborhood in Chicago is today's Vietnam.

Edited by themamba

Poly at Patterson should be a good one today.  I'll be there and expecting a Patterson upset.   Patterson has a huge visitor in the house today for the first time in a while.  The kid Marvin Price has transferred back to Patterson to finish out the year and will be a Clipper for his senior year.  Patterson will be back on top.

On 2/4/2018 at 4:58 PM, themamba said:

..... My old neighborhood in Chicago is today's Vietnam.

Southside????   I recently spent a couple days in North Chicago that appeared to be quite nice.

59 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Southside????   I recently spent a couple days in North Chicago that appeared to be quite nice.

The North Side (downtown) is real nice, with the Golden Mile, the Naval Pier, Lake Michigan, etc,. Beautiful. The South and West sides constitute most of the murders. Garfield Park, Englewood, and Fuller Park have murder rates above 125+ per 100,000. I think Fuller Park was at 160 per 100,000 last year. The murders dropped to 650 last year, from 770 in 2016, which was the deadliest in the city in 2 decades. Their were a record 970 murders in Chicago in '74, 2 years before I moved here.

Marvin Price has re-enrolled at Patterson, but will not play until next season.

3 minutes ago, themamba said:

Marvin Price has re-enrolled at Patterson, but will not play until next season.

Snake, I was just looking all over the internet trying to determine how Price was playing for Pattterson after transferring out and coming back within the same year.  This had Overlea football written all over it.  Hell, I didn't know that he even left.  Darn, I need to better keep up with bball.  I was just about issue a BIG APOLOGY to Toodles if Price had transferred back to Patterson and allowed to play, somewhat ala Rudy Gay and Maurice Martin back in the day.  But thanks for clarifying this....

14 minutes ago, themamba said:

The North Side (downtown) is real nice, with the Golden Mile, the Naval Pier, Lake Michigan, etc,. Beautiful. The South and West sides constitute most of the murders. Garfield Park, Englewood, and Fuller Park have murder rates above 125+ per 100,000. I think Fuller Park was at 160 per 100,000 last year. The murders dropped to 650 last year, from 770 in 2016, which was the deadliest in the city in 2 decades. Their were a record 970 murders in Chicago in '74, 2 years before I moved here.

I actually meant the city/town whatever of North Chicago.  But yes the area around the Naval Pier, Observatory, and the Bears Stadium is real nice.  I went to a comedy event at a theatre in the area of the Observatory - Bears Stadium.  It's a damn same of the violence in Chicago but it has always been known as a gangsta city.

21 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Snake, I was just looking all over the internet trying to determine how Price was playing for Pattterson after transferring out and coming back within the same year.  This had Overlea football written all over it.  Hell, I didn't know that he even left.  Darn, I need to better keep up with bball.  I was just about issue a BIG APOLOGY to Toodles if Price had transferred back to Patterson and allowed to play, somewhat ala Rudy Gay and Maurice Martin back in the day.  But thanks for clarifying this....

I said he will finish out the year at Patterson and play his senior season.   

However not so fast just got off the phone with his mother.   He WILL finish his junior year there.  Whether he plays there as a senior is another question.

Edited by BmoreSports77

21 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

From what I'm told, Baltimore City rules prohibit one from playing for 2 teams in the same season. Price, who was named Baltimore Sun co-POY last year, was averaging 12.2 points and 3.6 rebounds for Huntington Prep this season, in 19 games, averaging 20 playing minutes per game. Price averaged 20.5 in his first 4 games, including a season-high 32 points v Hargrave, then just under 10 points per game in his last 15 games.

1. Dunbar (17-0)

2. Poly (12-5)

3. Wise (14-4)

4. Eleanor Roosevelt (13-4)

5. Perry Hall (12-5)

6. Potomac (16-2)

7. Lake Clifton (13-3)

8. Oakdale (17-1)

9. Milford Mill (14-2)

10. Dulaney (13-3)

11. New Town (14-2)

12. Woodlawn (13-2)

13. Fairmont Heights (14-4)

14. Springbrook (16-3)

15. Thomas Johnson (16-2)

16. River Hill (16-2)

17. Wicomico (19-0)

18. Douglass PG (12-4)

19. Old Mill (13-4)

20. Northwest (16-2)

21. Paint Branch (14-4)

22. Edmondson (11-5)

23. Dundalk (14-3)

24. Bethesda Chevy Chase (14-4)

25. Southern (13-4)

Edited by themamba

26. Oakland Mills (13-4)

27. Linganore (13-5)

28. Meade (14-5)

29. Gaithersburg (14-5)

30. Mervo (11-4)

31. Oxon Hill (11-7)

32. Westlake (12-5)

33. Southwestern (11-4)

34. Bowie (11-7)

35. City College (11-4)

36. St Charles (12-5)

37. Laurel (11-7)

38. Thomas Stone (12-5)

39. Annapolis (12-7)

40. Great Mills (12-3)

41. Bladensburg (9-9)

42. North County (13-6)

43. Flowers (8-8)

44. DuVal (10-6)

45. Reservoir (10-7)

46. Friendly (10-7)

47. CM Wright (13-4)

48. Glen Burnie (12-6)

49. Patterson (7-10)

50. Richard Montgomery (10-7)

next 10;

Broadneck (11-7)

Seneca Valley (14-4)

Easton (16-2)

Harford Tech (14-3)

Joppatowne (10-7)

Tuscarora (10-8)

Largo (7-10)

Huntingtown (10-8)

Gwynn Park (10-8)

Whitman (10-8)

Poly crushed Patterson, 63-44. The Engineers led by 23 after 3.

Dunbar handled Lake, 69-55.

Poly at Dunbar, top 2 ranked publics in the state. 5:15.

Poly pulls out a tight one, with sophomore Justin Lewis having a monster game, scoring 36 points in a 65-61 win, handing the Poets their first loss of the season. The Engineers used a 23-9 run between the 4 minute mark of the 3rd to the 4 minute mark of the fourth to turn a 6 point deficit into a 8 point lead, a lead the Poets weren't able to overcome. 

Edited by themamba