Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
themamba

themamba's MPSSAA '17-18 Basketball Report

177 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, themamba said:

Poly pulls out a tight one, with sophomore Justin Lewis having a monster game, scoring 36 points in a 65-61 win, handing the Poets their first loss of the season. The Engineers used a 23-9 run between the 4 minute mark of the 3rd to the 4 minute mark of the fourth to turn a 6 point deficit into a 8 point lead, a lead the Poets weren't able to overcome. 

Couple this outcome with City’s upset of Lake Clifton and I believe we get a Dunbar/Poly rematch for the City Championship.....barring any other upsets. 

7 minutes ago, DJGreg1200 said:

Couple this outcome with City’s upset of Lake Clifton and I believe we get a Dunbar/Poly rematch for the City Championship.....barring any other upsets. 

We do. I'll watch that again. I believe those are the two best publics in the state. The top city league teams should play each other twice, anyway. They'd still have plenty of space to schedule a nice OOC lineup, like Poly does. 8 team league equals 14 league games, 7 team league gives you 12, leaving 8-10 outside games, respectively. Lewis went off, tonight!

Next week, BalCo featues the goodies - Milford Mill @ Perry Hall, Monday, then Woodlawn @ Dulaney and Perry Hall @ Dundalk, both Wednesday. Thursday, New Town @ Milford Mill.

Tuesday, the top two in HoCo face off, with River Hill traveling to Kilimanjaro to take on Oakland Mills.

Quince Orchard upset Springbrook, 53-52, bringing to a hault the Blue Devils 9 game win streak. Ben Franklin bumped Edmondson, 72-71. Oakland Mills came back to beat arch rival Wilde Lake, 56-53.

A day after coming off a big win at Dunbar, Poly loses at home to Wilson DC, 56-53. The 24 win Tigers, who went undefeated in the DCIAA, and has wins over Rock Creek Christian and Goretti, did lose to Bowie, 85-82, two weeks ago.

Edited by themamba

Damn Poly.....

1. Poly (14-6)

2. Dunbar (19-1)

3. Wise (15-4)

4. Eleanor Roosevelt (14-5)

5. Perry Hall (15-5)

6. Potomac (16-2)

7. Milford Mill (16-2)

8. Oakdale (19-1)

9. Dulaney (14-5)

10. Woodlawn (16-2)

11. Fairmont Heights (16-4)

12. Thomas Johnson (18-2)

13. New Town (16-3)

14. Lake Clifton (13-5)

15. River Hill (18-2)

16. Wicomico (20-0)

17. Old Mill (15-4)

18. Douglass PG (13-5)

19. Springbrook (16-4)

20. Paint Branch (16-4)

21. Northwest (18-2)

22. Dundalk (15-4)

23. Bethesda Chevy Chase (16-4)

24. Southern (16-4)

25. Oakland Mills (15-4)

26. Linganore (15-5)

27. Edmondson (12-7)

28. Mervo (12-6)

29. Westlake (14-5)

30. Bowie (12-7)

31. St Charles (14-5)

32. Thomas Stone (15-5)

33. Oxon Hill (12-8)

34. Annapolis (13-7)

35. Meade (15-6)

36. Flowers (10-8)

37. Great Mills (15-3)

38. City College (13-6)

39. Gaithersburg (15-5)

40. DuVal (12-7)

41. Laurel (11-8)

42. Reservoir (13-7)

43. CM Wright (15-4)

44. North County (13-8)

45. Richard Montgomery (12-8)

46. Bladensburg (9-11)

47.  Ben Franklin (12-7)

48. Digital Harbor (13-6)

49. Glen Burnie (13-7)

50. Southwestern (13-5)

51-70 (alphabetical order)

Broadneck (13-8)

Calvert (14-6)

Centennial (12-8)

Easton (17-2)

Friendly (10-9)

Glenelg (11-9)

Gwynn Park (11-9)

Harford Tech (15-4)

Huntingtown (11-9)

Kennedy (11-9)

Kent County (16-3)

Lackey (11-8)

Largo (9-10)

Liberty (16-3)

Mt Hebron (11-9)

Patterson (8-11)

Patterson Mill (12-6)

Quince Orchard (10-10)

Seneca Valley (14-6)

Whitman (11-9)

MSJ defeated John Carroll 78-71

City defeated Dunbar 51-47

Milford defeated Perry Hall 69-66

2 minutes ago, DJGreg1200 said:

MSJ defeated John Carroll 78-71

City defeated Dunbar 51-47

Milford defeated Perry Hall 69-66

Black Knights! First, Lake, then the Poets.

Great road win for the Millers.

MSJ was packed full had to close the gates to the school.  Sticks threw down a triple double.  

Jordan Goodwin scored 29 points and dished out 4 assists for the Millers.

38 minutes ago, RM7 said:

MSJ was packed full had to close the gates to the school.  Sticks threw down a triple double.  

I'm hearing 32 points, 23 rebounds, and 7 blocks tonight for Sticks.

I'm also hearing St Frances lost to Pallotti tonight.

19 minutes ago, DJGreg1200 said:

I'm hearing 32 points, 23 rebounds, and 7 blocks tonight for Sticks.

I'm also hearing St Frances lost to Pallotti tonight.

Pallotti Beat St. Frances 66-56

On 2/10/2018 at 5:57 PM, themamba said:

A day after coming off a big win at Dunbar, Poly loses at home to Wilson DC, 56-53. The 24 win Tigers, who went undefeated in the DCIAA, and has wins over Rock Creek Christian and Goretti, did lose to Bowie, 85-82, two weeks ago.

Pallotti also Beat Wilson DC 77-72 in the Bullis Holiday Tourney in December

Potomac rolled Theodore Roosevelt DC (25-6), 106-75. Jason Newman scored 28.

Old Mill smashed Glen Burnie, 71-43.

7 hours ago, themamba said:

Potomac rolled Theodore Roosevelt DC (25-6), 106-75. Jason Newman scored 28.

Old Mill smashed Glen Burnie, 71-43.

I’m guessing barring something unforeseen...Potomac will host Poly in the 3A South Regional Final 

18 hours ago, DJGreg1200 said:

I’m guessing barring something unforeseen...Potomac will host Poly in the 3A South Regional Final 

Unfortunately, they are both in the same section. Barring upsets, they'd meet in the sectional final, regional semifinal game - WED/THU.

Edited by themamba

On senior night on Kilimanjaro, Oakland Mills came back from 14 down to take out first place River Hill, 70-65, despite their two leading scorers combining for just 15 points, 10 in the first 30 minutes, before hitting 5 free throws, collectively, to seal it in the final minute plus. Mister Hairston led the Scorpions with 17 points. River Hill scored 26 first quarter points, 39 over the last 3.

Edited by themamba

On 2/12/2018 at 8:53 PM, themamba said:

Black Knights! First, Lake, then the Poets.

Great road win for the Millers.

After beating Patterson too City is the Beast of the East this year. I think this new young coach is gonna put City on the map again sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, 85Knight said:

After beating Patterson too City is the Beast of the East this year. I think this new young coach is gonna put City on the map again sooner rather than later.

Impressive run, indeed. The Black Knights are just 1 of 10 MPSSAA teams with 2 top 15 wins. Defense looks to be the theme. They allowed Patterson just 40 points, Lake, 53, and Dunbar, 47. The Black Knights have allowed 60 points just 4 times this season, and more than 62, just once, in the opener.

The tough thing is that 3A South. Geez! 9 teams I have ranked among the top 60 (56, really). Poly and Potomac headlining, Oxon Hill, who like City College, has taken some losses, but proven they can beat the best when they are at their best, as they are the only MPSSAA school to beat 1A defending champ Fairmont Heights this season. Add in Southwestern and Digital. Southewestern has beaten City and Dundalk, while Digital has beaten Patterson and the aforementioned Southwestern. Also, 3 of the 5 best SMAC teams - 3 loss Great Mills, 5 loss St Charles, and Huntingtown, who has beaten the top ranked SMAC team, Westlake.

Section I, in partucular. 6 top 50 teams. Looks like the first round (next Fri/Sat) will have a pair of games with some kind of combination of City, Oxon Hill, Southwestern, and Digital playing each other. Next up for the winners would be either Poly or Potomac. Thats assuming Poly has clinched a bye. Potomac has. Then, after beating say, Oxon Hill, then beating Poly, you'd likely have to beat Potomac just to get to the regional final.

I mentioned the 3 decent SMAC teams, but there is a good possibilty that the regional final may be the easiest test of the 3A South regional for one of the four first round players in Section I, should they be that fortunate. Tough crowd.

JMT

Your replacement may be up and coming from Roosevelt:

Oakland Mills claims a share of the HoCo title, after coming back to beat Marriotts Ridge, and Glenelg coming back from 13 down in the second half on the road to hand River Hill its second consecutive loss, after the Hawks lost to the Scorpions on Tuesday.

Tough news for the Blue Devils of Springbrook, as they lose Quinnipiac commit Matt Balanc to a broken tibia in the regular season finale vs Blake. The 4A North Section II is now Paint Branch's to lose. In the two meetings between the top two teams in the MoCo 4A East, they both won on each other's floors. In Section I of the 4A North, Perry Hall will likely face Dulaney in the sectional final, in a rematch of their 80-77 tilt early in the season, won by the Gators. That's provided Mervo doesn't erase the chalk.