Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
themamba

themamba's MPSSAA '17-18 Basketball Report

173 posts in this topic

In the City title game, Poly put away Dunbar, 54-37. The Engineers controlled throughout. The Poets had cut a 15 point halftime deficit to 9 going into the final period, before the Engineers held them to 5 4th quarter points.

Baltimore County Championship Games 

Girls - Pikesville vs Catonsville (5:30pm)

Boys - Dundalk vs Woodlawn (7pm)

Games are Tuesday at Towson University’s SECU Arena 

1 hour ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Reading is fundamental 

Not sure what I missed but get over it

1 hour ago, DJ88 said:

Not sure what I missed but get over it

MPSSAA thread

7 minutes ago, jbmad said:

MPSSAA thread

Ya I know just wanted him to spit it out.  I'm sure he said the same thing to the others that brought up MIAA talk and scores here, lol.  Guess that's what happens when bamas just wanna stay on my nuzz.   

3 minutes ago, DJ88 said:

Ya I know just wanted him to spit it out.  I'm sure he said the same thing to the others that brought up MIAA talk and scores here, lol.  Guess that's what happens when bamas just wanna stay on my nuzz.   

Lol

1 hour ago, DJ88 said:

On 2/14/2018 at 4:58 PM, 85Knight said:

After beating Patterson too City is the Beast of the East this year. I think this new young coach is gonna put City on the map again sooner rather than later.

Who's the coach at City now that Wade is out?

12 hours ago, amerikasmuse said:

Who's the coach at City now that Wade is out?

I think his name is Omarr Smith?

Woodlawn put away Dundalk, 69-61, with the senior trio of Brinkley, Warren, and Garrison leading the way, scoring 50 of the Warriors 69 points. The Owls were led by their junior guards, Michael and Jaylon Jackson, who scored 21 and 14 respectively. It was the Warriors 9th county title with coach Bobby Richardson.

The Owls still have their sights on this year, but look good next year, too, with 4 of their 5 starters slated to return, losing only their shooter, Cook. The Owls have wins over Dulaney and Oakland Mills, and two close losses to Milford Mill and New Town.

Neither of my top two ranked Baltimore County teams advanced to the county title game, #5 Milford Mill or #7 Perry Hall, though Woodlawn is #10, and does have a 2 point win over the Gators. Aside from the Gators win, the Warriors next best three wins are to Gerstell, and their pair of wins over Dundalk. Bal Co with four top 10 teams - #5 MMA, #7 Perry Hall, #9 Dulaney, #10 Woodlawn, and two more top 20 teams - #15 New Town and #17 Dundalk.

Edited by themamba

MM & PH both still big time threats to get to Xfinity. Congrats to Woodlawn but with I think they are still the 3rd best team in county.

16 hours ago, themamba said:

Woodlawn put away Dundalk, 69-61, with the senior trio of Brinkley, Warren, and Garrison leading the way, scoring 50 of the Warriors 69 points. The Owls were led by their junior guards, Mark and Jaylon Jackson, who scored 21 and 14 respectively. It was the Warriors 9th county title with coach Bobby Richardson.

The Owls still have their sights on this year, but look good next year, too, with 4 of their 5 starters slated to return, losing only their shooter, Clark. The Owls have wins over Dulaney and Oakland Mills, and two close losses to Milford Mill and New Town.

Neither of my top two ranked Baltimore County teams advanced to the county title game, #5 Milford Mill or #7 Perry Hall, though Woodlawn is #10, and does have a 2 point win over the Gators. Aside from the Gators win, the Warriors next best three wins are to Gerstell, and their pair of wins over Dundalk. Bal Co with four top 10 teams - #5 MMA, #7 Perry Hall, #9 Dulaney, #10 Woodlawn, and two more top 20 teams - #15 New Town and #17 Dundalk.

Just a couple of small corrections, Mamba. Dundalk's senior shooter is Gates Cook; the guards are Michael and Jaylon Johnson. Not criticizing; with all the teams you keep track of, some mistakes will inevitably slip through. Thanks for all the info you provide.

Dundalk also graduates Will Fedd (#11), who usually sees a significant amount of playing time, but, yeah, the Owls should have a solid team returning next year. Thought Dundalk could pull it off last night when they cut Woodlawn's 14-point lead to five points early in the fourth quarter, but the Warriors were just too strong in rebounding (32-20 edge, by my count) and Dundalk sent Woodlawn to the foul line too many times (Woodlawn converted 15-of-23 free throws, while Dundalk made only six-of-12. Both teams were about the same from the floor: Dundalk 21-for-57, Woodlawn 22-for-55).

Cook, not Clark. Thanks. I've seen the Owls, and seen Fedd, he's very athletic, crazy hops, and a key contributor. They play the big 6'8 fella, and from what I remember, Fedd comes off the bench. The Owls are the only team I remember where I saw the starters wear #1, #2, #3, #4, and #5. Yea, the Owls cut it to 56-51, but couldn't get over the hump.

Edited by themamba

1. Poly (17-6) 

2. Wise (18-4)

3. Eleanor Roosevelt (16-5)

4. Dunbar (21-3)

5. Milford Mill (18-3*)

6. Potomac (20-2)

7. Perry Hall (16-6)

8. Oakdale (21-1)

9. Dulaney (17-4)

10. Woodlawn (19-3)

11. Fairmont Heights (18-4)

12. Thomas Johnson (20-3)

13. Wicomico (23-0)

14. Lake Clifton (16-5)

15. Old Mill (19-4)

16. New Town (16-5)

17. Dundalk (19-4)

18. Bethesda Chevy Chase (18-4)

19. Paint Branch (18-4)

20. Northwest (19-2)

21. Southern (18-5)

22. City College (16-6)

23. Oakland Mills (17-5)

24. River Hill (18-4)

25. Springbrook (17-5)

26. Bowie (14-7)

27. Edmondson (15-7)

28. Douglass PG (15-6)

29. Linganore (16-5)

30. Mervo (14-6)

31. Great Mills (19-3)

32. St Charles (16-6)

33. Oxon Hill (14-8)

34. Annapolis (15-7)

35. Westlake (15-6)

36. Thomas Stone (16-6)

37. Meade (16-6)

38. Gaithersburg (17-5)

39. Flowers (12-8)

40. DuVal (12-8)

41. CM Wright (19-4)

42. Laurel (13-9)

43. Centennial (14-8)

44. North County (13-9)

45. Reservoir (14-8)

46. Richard Montgomery (13-9)

47. Broadneck (14-8)

48. Ben Franklin (14-8)

49. Glen Burnie (14-8)

50. Digital Harbor (13-8) 

On 2/3/2018 at 3:56 PM, themamba said:

Great atmosphere last night on Kilimanjaro for the Larry Aaron Jr benefit game. Oakland Mills has always rallied around their own, but last night was something else. We had a benefit last week for him as well, and Ledo's in Fulton had one for him on Tuesday. His Dad, Larry Sr, was one of the first people I met after moving from Chicago, and played on the same baseball teams my first 2 years here.

Larry Jr was shot at a New Years party in Fort Meade, by a bullet that wasn't meant for him (two groups he didn't know had a beef at the house party), as he covered his girlfriend, paralyzing him from the waste down. 'L' was a member of the OM basketball state title team in '15, and the tackle that protected Pindell and pushed the run game for the Scorpions. Like his Dad, he was also a standout on the diamond.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-boys-basketball-oakland-mills-hammond-larry-aaron-benefit-game-20180202-story,amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Its with a heavy heart I'll relay that 'Big L' passed away today, following complications from a blood clot that hospitalized him 2 nights ago. RIP 'L'.

4 hours ago, themamba said:

Its with a heavy heart I'll relay that 'Big L' passed away today, following complications from a blood clot that hospitalized him 2 nights ago. RIP 'L'.

Wise took the PG championship game, using a 30-13 run over 10 minutes covering midway thru the third through midway thru the fourth to turn a 16 point 2nd half deficit to Fairmont Heights to taking their first lead since early in the first quarter. The Pumas jumped out to a 8-1 lead, before Fairmont Heights went on a 20-3 run over the next 8 minutes to take a double-digit lead, a lead they carried heading into the fourth. The Hornets had a pair of potential game-tying three-point attempts in the final 20 seconds that didn't drop.

Edited by themamba

MIAA Semifinals 

John Carroll defeats Mt St Joe 79-78 in OT on a Quickley layup with 7 seconds left. 

Boys Latin upsets St Frances 68-65

Boys Latin vs John Carroll for the MIAA Championship Sunday at 5:30pm at Harford Community College.