Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
themamba

themamba's MPSSAA Basketball Report

309 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Oh My.....   The OG OG  --- The Original Gangstas, Dunbar - the Orleans Gangstas  :o

But it's still a darn shame what the OG and BBalls did to my man 40B and City in week 3....and the taste OG snatched out of the mouth of the Fort Hill coach in week 14.  :(

🤷🏾‍♂️💪🏾😎

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:40 AM, themamba said:

1A State Final

#3 Dunbar (24-3) v #8 Fairmont Heights (22-5)

Coaches; D Cyrus 'Diego'Jones 11th season 211-63, 4 state titles, 6 regional titles FH Chuck Henry 3rd season 50-26, 1 state title, 2 regional titles

Final 4 history; D State-record 15 state titles, 19th state finals appearance (most in MPSSAA), 20th Final 4 appearance FH 8 state titles, 3rd most in MPSSAA history since current 4 classification format in the MPSSAA was established in 1961, behind Dunbar and Gwynn Park, 10th finals appearance, 12th Final 4 appearance

Vs MPSSAA top 25, 50, 80; D 7-2, 10-3, 12-3 FH 2-4, 7-5, 13-5

Poets key wins; Calvert Hall 69-67, @Downington East PA 54-45, @Reading PA 56-54, Milford Mill 57-51 at Mayors Academy, Old Mill 48-34 at Mayors Academy, Edmondson 64-42, Lake Clifton 69-55

Hornets key wins; Bowie 71-66, Douglass PG 62-43, Potomac 86-84, Oxon Hill 87-72, @Douglass PG 74-62

Poets losses; Poly 65-61, @City 51-47, Poly 64-47 in City League title game

Hornets losses; @St Johns 81-39,  Chapelgate Christian Academy 62-57, @Oxon Hill 63-58, Rock Creek Christian 75-61, Wise 66-60 in PG title game

Strength of schedule - MPSSAA; D 19th Poets have played 13 top 50 teams FH 14th 

Streak; D Poets have won 5 straight since Citly League title game loss to Poly FH Hornets have won 11 of 12, with only loss to Wise in PG title game

Road/neutral; D 12-2 FH 10-4

Off/Def; D Off Def FH Off Def

Notes; This is Poets first trip to the Final since 4-peating in '13; Poets are 15-3 in the finals, Hornets, 8-1

Dunbar

5 Da'Shawn Phillip 6'4 SR - Poets leader, leading scorer, averages 18.2 ppg, 7.8 rpg, scored 19 points, grabbed 9 rebounds, had 3 steals in state semifinal

15 Jamal West 6'4 SO - Poets leading rebounder as a soph', averages 14.9 ppg, 11.3 rpg, grabbed 19 rebounds in state semifinal

3 Malik McCormick 5'9 SR - Scored 18 points in state semifinal, scored 22 v Mervo

1 Zephinia Esguerra 5'7 SR - 3-year contributor for the Poets, floor general

Fairmont Heights

0 Darren Lucas-White 6'2 SR - averages 17.1 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 5.8 apg, has registered 4 triple-doubles this season

21 Kimani Benjamin 6'4 SR - averages 16.7 ppg, 13.2 rpg, 1.7 bpg, scored 25 points, grabbed 21 rebounds v Douglass

35 Yearlando Reed 6'6 SR - averages 12.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg, scored 17 v Wise in PG title game

3 Mandell Quigley 5'8 SR - averages 6.2 apg, along with Lucas-Smith, the key distributors to Hornets high octane offense

If Milford Mill-Thomas Johnson was a semifinal of MPSSAA basketball royalty, Dunbar-Fairmont Heights is a title game of MPSSAA basketball royalty.

Dunbar has won a state-high 15 boys basketball state titles, Fairmont Heights has won 8, third most in MPSSAA history since 1961.

Long before the Poets established dominance in the MPSSAA, Kenny Freeman and Fairmont Heights set the foundation.

The legendary coach, and later administrator in PG, coached the Hornets for 20 years, beginning in 1951. Freeman was a household name among basketball circles in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, coaching playground legends such as William 'Chicken Breast' Lee, the first legend ever to have said to be able to grab a quarter off of the top of the backboard and leave change.

Freeman's Hornets won 6 of 8 state titles from '64-71, the only team to ever do so before the aforementioned Poets accomplished the feat 25 years later. Freeman's Hornets twice beat DeMatha in the late 60's and early 70's, including a 18 point victory.

The Hornets were a traveling road show more than a decade before the legendary Poets teams of the early 80's. I remember seeing the Poets in '83 with an old head, saying this was the best team I ever saw. The old head said it was the best public school team he'd seen since the '71 Fairmont Heights team. I took note.

12 years earlier, this old head, then a sophomore, had witnessed the Hornets demolish one of the best teams in HoCo history, the '71 Atholton Raiders, who had 5 players play at the next level, two who eventually played overseas, in the 3A state title game. The final score - Hornets 120 Atholton 69. That point total stood as the state final record for 22 years, until Dunbar posted 122 points in a state finals game in '93. The Hornets scored 43 pounts in a 8 minute quarter, against a quality team.

Freeman would go on to win his 7th state title at Parkdale, matching Thomas Johnson's Tom Dickman for most in MPSSAA history. Today, Poets coach Diego Jones looks to match his assistant, Eric 'Smiley' Lee, for most state titles won at Dunbar, with 5.

We've come full circle.

Mamba, 

Great job as always. This is great info. It's bracket week. Have to do my picks. Can you do this for March Madness. Just kidding, it would probably take forever.  Not sure who to pick.

6 games in a row. Let us know what you think. 

Deee-fense! Deee-fense! Deee-fense.

Defense was the theme of Title Day Saturday for the victors.

The Gators of Perry Hall got a huge day from La'Quill Hardnett (31/12), but it was their defense that won the game. The Gators, down 10 with 3 minutes to go in the third, held the Mustangs to 3-22 shooting the rest of the way, including holding Bladensburg scoreless for six minutes spanning from the end of the third to midway through the third. The Gators had 10 blocked shots, 7 steals, and caused 16 Mustangs turnovers. The Gators overcame shooting 2-16 from three and 8-16 at the line.

Poly not only held the Millers to 25 points below their game everage, but didn't allow the Millers to get a possible game-winning or game-tying shot. The Engineers contested threes, as the Millers shot 6-25 from beyond the arc, and held the team in white trimmed with green to 8-29 first half shooting as the built a ten point halftime lead.

Lake Clifton cam back to win the 2A title with its defense, holding the Bulldogs to 6 fourth quarter points, and not allow the Dawgs a field goal over the final 4:52 of the game. North Caroline shot 10-22 from the floor in the first half (45%), 7-28 (25%) in the second half. The Lakers only allowed 2 points off of their turnovers. Transition D.

The Poets held the Hornets to 25 points below their average too, while causing the Hornets into 24 turnovers. Jamal West prevented transition with 7 offensive rebounds, and on the defensive end, his rebounding limited the Hornets to only 4 second chance points. 

---------

Dunbar's Cyrus 'Diego' Jones became just the 7th coach in MPSSAA history to win 5 state titles, trailing only Tom Dickman, Ken Freeman, and Larry Gandee. Dickman won 7 at Thomas Johnson, and sits atop the list with Freeman, who also won 7, 6 at Fairmont Heights, 1 at Parkdale. Gandee won 6 at Gwynn Park. Jones joins Valley's John Mayers, Randallstown's Kim Rivers, and his assistant and former Poets coach Eric 'Smiley' Lee, who all have 5.

Lake Clifton's Herman 'Tree' Harried became just the 10th coach in MPSSAA history to win 4 state titles, trailing the seven above, and joining Southern's Tom Albright and New Town's Mike Daniel. 'Tree' also became just the 7th coach in MPSSAA history to win 9 regional titles. Nap Town's John Brady has won the most regional titles as coach, with 17. Dickman won 14, and Maryland public school's all-time winningest coach, WiHi's Butch Waller, has won 12.

-----------

I have your Monday 3-digit - 771. Following the title games on Saturday, Harried now has a 418-124 record at Lake over 21 seasons, while Jones has a 212-63 record in 11 seasons at Dunbar. Both now sit with a 77.1% winning percentage.

-----------

Over the last 10 years, the 3A, 2A, and 1A has produced 30 state champions. Teams from the Baltimore City League have won 19 of them. In 1A, the city league has won 7 of the last 10, in 2A, same, 7 of 10. In 3A, 5 of 10.

Posted (edited)

On 3/11/2018 at 4:27 PM, 58Colts said:

Mamba, 

Great job as always. This is great info. It's bracket week. Have to do my picks. Can you do this for March Madness. Just kidding, it would probably take forever.  Not sure who to pick.

6 games in a row. Let us know what you think. 

Thanks, 58. My brackets have been trash the last 3 seasons. I'm dreading doing mine this year. There was a time where I was very successful doing brackets. In fact, I had one on ESPN's front page of leaders 15 years ago, at 46 of 48 going into the second Saturday. Last year, I was in the 43rd percentile. I think my 6 year old granddaughter beat me. Good luck.

Edited by themamba

Posted (edited)

themamba's MPSSAA Final 4 All-Tournament Team

1st team

La'Quill Hardnett 6'9 SR (Perry Hall) - Hardnett scored 13 straight points for the Gators in the second half that saw the Gators go from 10 down to 3 up. Hardnett scored 31 points and grabbed 12 rebounds, while shooting 13-19, v Bladensburg in the state title game.

In the semifinal, Hardnett came within a point and 3 assists of reaching a triple-double, with 9 points, 12 rebounds, and 7 assists. Hardnett recorded 40 points, 24 rebounds, 8 assists, 4 blocks and 3 steals in the two games. Though he was 1-9 from three, he shot 16-20 inside the arc.

Da'Shawn Phillip 6'4 SR (Dunbar) - Phillip was arguably the most consistent performer over two games for any of the four state champions. Phillip scored 27 points, on 11-19 shooting, grabbed 13 rebounds (5 offensive), and had 3 steals in the state championship victory over Fairmont Heights.

In the state semifinal, Phillip scored 19 points, grabbed 9 rebounds and had 3 steals v Clear Spring. Phillip averaged 23 points and 11 rebounds in the Final 4, shooting 61% from the floor for the state champion Poets.

Demetrius Mims 6'6 SR (Poly) - Mims was dominant in the state semifinal matchup with Thomas Johnson, scoring 30 points, on 11-19 shooting, and grabbing 9 rebounds.

In the final, Mims scored 17 points and grabbed 4 rebounds for the back-to-back 4A champs. Mims 47 points over the two games ranked 2nd in College Park. Mims shot 52% from the floor, and 15-17 from the line.

Daniel Oladapo 6'7 SR (Bladensburg) - Oladapo was a force in the Mustangs upset win over Old Mill, scoring 27 points and hauling in 11 boards. Oladapo played 62 of 64 minutes over the two games.

In the final, Oladapo scored 18 points and had 14 rebounds. Over the two games, Oladapo averaged 22.5 points and 12.5 rebounds, getting to the line 28 times.

Joey Adams 5'10 SR (North Caroline) - Adams was the leading scorer in College Park, scoring more than 25 points in each game, pouring in 29 points in the semifinal win over River Hill, then draining 26 in the state final loss to Lake Clifton.

Adams added 11 rebounds, shot 9-20 from three, added 4 assists and 4 steals. Adams played all 64 minutes of the semifinal and title games.

Edited by themamba

Posted (edited)

2nd team

Justin Lewis 6'7 SO (Poly) - Lewis showed off his talents in the state title game, scoring 20 points and grabbing 12 rebounds. Lewis shot 7-12, and added 2 blocks.

In the semifinal, Lewis scored 9 points, registered 12 rebounds, and rejected 5 shots. Over the 2 games, Lewis averaged 14.5 points, 12 rebounds, and 3.5 blocked shots, while shooting 50% for the 3A champs.

Darren Lucas-White 6'2 SR (Fairmont Heights) - Lucas-White was the sole bright spot offensively for the Hornets in the title game, scoring 19 points, on 8-18 shooting, adding 5 rebounds and 2 steals.

Lucas-White, who recorded four triple-doubles this season, scored 14 points and had 6 rebounds and 5 assists in the Hornets semifinal victory. Lucas-White shot 50% over the two games.

Jamal West 6'5 SO (Dunbar) - West played the role of chairman of the board in College Park, taking in 33 rebounds in the pair of Poets wins. West scored 15 points and had 14 rebounds in the final, including 7 on the offensive end.

West grabbed 19 rebounds, 9 offensive, in the semifinal win, adding 8 points. Over the two games, West averaged 11.5 points and 16.5 rebounds, 8 on the offensive end.

Ben Carter 5'11 SR (Lake Clifton) - Carter was just one of five players to score at least 15 points in 2 games in College Park, joining Adams, Mims, Phillip, and Jordan Goodwin of Milford Mill.

Carter scored 15 points and grabbed 8 rebounds in the Lakers come behind win over North Caroline in the final, and scored 19 points and grabbed 7 rebounds in the semifinal, hitting 7 of 8 free throws. Carter played in 63 of a possible 64 minutes.

Ugo Obasi 6'4 SR (Milford Mill) - Obasi was the catalyst early in the Millers semifinal win over Thomas Johnson, and finished with 20 points and 7 rebounds, shooting 8-14, hitting 3 threes.

In the state final, Obasi was off target from the outside, but still produced 13 points and 9 rebounds. Obasi finished with the sixth most points, and 7th most rebounds in College Park.

Edited by themamba

Honorable Mention

Jordan Goodwin 6'0 SR (Milford Mill) - Goodwin scored 14 points in the semifinal, 15 in the final, hitting 3 threes. Over the 2 games, Goodwin had 6 rebounds, 4 assists, and 4 steals.

Ronald Lucas 6'6 SR (Lake Clifton) - Lucas was intrumental in the Lakers semifinal win over Oakdale, scoring 14 points, getting 13 rebounds, blocked 3 shots, and shot 6 of 7 from the field. Lucas added 5 points and 7 rebounds in the final.

Tyler Holley 6'3 SR (Perry Hall) - Holley scored 17 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals in the Gators semifinal win over Gaithersburg. Holley averaged 12.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals, and shot 7-13, over the two games in College Park.

Eric Turner 6'5 SR (Milford Mill) - Turner scored 15 points in the second half of the Millers semifinal win over Thomas Johnson, finishing with 20 points and 7 rebounds. Turner averaged 15 points and 6 rebounds in two games, shooting 7-13.

Collin Schlee 6'3 JR (Oakdale) - Schlee scored 22 points, grabbed 5 rebounds, and had 4 steals in the Bears loss to the Lakers.

Jao Ituku 6'1 FR (Gaithersburg) - Ituku scored 18 points, on 9-14 ashooting, and grabbed 8 rebounds in the Trojans semifinal loss to Perry Hall.

Avion Robinson 5'11 JR (Old Mill) - Robinson scored 22 points (10-22) and dished out 4 assists in the Patriots semifinal loss to Bladensburg.

Kevon Voyles 6'2 SR (Decatur) - Voyles scored 19 points and added 6 rebounds and 3 steals in the Seahawks semifinal loss to Poly.

Jaden Martin 6'1 SR (River Hill) - Martin scored 18 points, grabbed 7 rebounds, and dished out 4 assists in the Hawks semifinal loss to North Caroline.

Braxton Foreman 6'4 SR (Thomas Johnson) - Foreman was highly efficient in the Patriots semifinal loss to Milford Mill, shooting 5 of 8 from the field, 2 for 3 from three, and nailing all four foul shots, finishing with 17 points.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, themamba said:

Thanks, 58. My brackets have been trash the last 3 seasons. I'm dreading doing mine this year. There was a time where I was very successful doing brackets. In fact, I had one on ESPN's front page of leaders 15 years ago, at 46 of 48 going into the second Saturday. Last year, I was in the 43rd percentile. I think my 6 year old granddaughter beat me. Good luck.

Mamba, 

Watching the Jarius Lyles show. It would kill my bracket but this is unbelievable.

Posted (edited)

34 minutes ago, 58Colts said:

Mamba, 

Watching the Jarius Lyles show. It would kill my bracket but this is unbelievable.

He was killing them! He was doing what he wanted to. As he just said, he was playing at a high level, as were all of the Retrievers. I was at the first 15 v 2 upset, Richmond over Syracuse, but this is even crazier. Cavs were top seed, overall.

Edited by themamba

2 hours ago, themamba said:

He was killing them! He was doing what he wanted to. As he just said, he was playing at a high level, as were all of the Retrievers. I was at the first 15 v 2 upset, Richmond over Syracuse, but this is even crazier. Cavs were top seed, overall.

Both of Lyles parents are UVA grads....:)

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, themamba said:

UMBC star Jairus Lyles's DeMatha teammates his freshman year? Let's see....Quinn Cook, Jerami Grant, Jerian Grant, and a kid named Victor Oladipo. Decent...also Mikael Hopkins (Georgetown), BeeJay Anya (NC State) and James Robinson (Pitt) were on that team. That was the most talented high school team I ever saw play. Never saw Dunbar back in the '80s though.
Edited by Impartialfan

5 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Both of Lyles parents are UVA grads....:)

His dad was an All-Met at St Albans, 2nd round pick by the New York Jets. Incredible athlete, at 6'3 210, ran a sub 4.5 40. Played all over the field for the Bulldogs, from tackle to quarterback. Left a mark when he hit you. Had an offer from Wisconsin to play basketball.

13 hours ago, themamba said:

Mamba, 

I was at that Richmond-Syracuse game. The assistant coach for Richmond was Loyola grad Pat Dennis who later coached at Citadel and was a D3 All American at W & L. Lyles was killing it. I was falling off the couch watching everything go in. That DeMatha team was talented but still give the nod to the Dunbar team of the 80's. Three first round picks and Wingate in the 2nd round the year before. They were tough. 

8 minutes ago, 58Colts said:

....still give the nod to the Dunbar team of the 80's. Three first round picks and Wingate in the 2nd round the year before. They were tough. 

None better in the nation.  Not even close!!!

Posted (edited)

On 3/17/2018 at 1:21 PM, 58Colts said:

Mamba, 

I was at that Richmond-Syracuse game. The assistant coach for Richmond was Loyola grad Pat Dennis who later coached at Citadel and was a D3 All American at W & L. Lyles was killing it. I was falling off the couch watching everything go in. That DeMatha team was talented but still give the nod to the Dunbar team of the 80's. Three first round picks and Wingate in the 2nd round the year before. They were tough. 

UMBC had its opportunities v K State, didn't capitalize.

The other story of this tourney has been the Ramblers of Loyola of Chicago, my dad's alma mater.

One of my first sports history lessons were of the Ramblers national title run in '63, beating 2-time defending champ, Cincinnati, 60-58, in overtime. But the lesson didn't end there, or rather start there, with my dad's alma mater winning it all. It started two years before, when Coach Ireland and Loyola broke down barriers, defying a 'gentleman's' agreement that no one start more than 3 black players. Two years later, the championship season, the Ramblers became the first non-HBCU school to field a starting lineup of all black players. Pretty deep. I always remember that one.

My dad's brother had some great stories too, after starting in the backfield for the New Mexico Lobos with eventual Cowboys running back Don Perkins, playing for Marv Levy, but we'll leave those stories for another day.

That '10 DeMatha team had a great year, and was very talented, though the vast majority of notable players hadn't yet peaked at the high school level. Oladipo and and the older Jerian Grant were seniors, Cook and Hopkins were juniors, Jerami Grant and Robinson were sophomores, and Anya and Lyles were freshman, so the talent was spread over four classes. The Stags split four games with Gonzaga, losing the WCAC title game to the Eagles, beating them in the Alhambra title game. The other two losses were to Mater Dei and St Anthony.

Having said that, that season doesn't rank among the Stags top 10 seasons, or top 20 seasons in the state, in my book.

The Poets teams were on a different level. Not only were they supremely talented, they worked as a unit as well as any high school team ever has.

Edited by themamba

Christian Jones (Annapolis) has commited to the Naval Academy.

On 3/23/2018 at 8:07 PM, themamba said:

Christian Jones (Annapolis) has commited to the Naval Academy.

Cool, he goes right down the street a bit.....  I know you like that guard.  I have his last game for Annapolis in the state tournament against Old Mill.

Posted (edited)

Yea, he is who I was talking about to you several months back. I'll watch that tape, too. Old Mill should be the AACo favorite again, next year.

Edited by themamba

Posted (edited)

Perry Hall's Anthony Higgs is back on the market, after gaining his release from Ol' Miss. Higgs committed in late September, 3+ weeks after visting, signing 6 weeks later. Higgs had also visited Colorado. Higgs also had offers from Xavier, Cincinatti, and Kansas State, among others.

Edited by themamba

Do you know why?

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

Do you know why?

I'd venture to say it is because of Andy Kennedy resigning last month. Initially, Higgs said he would remain committed to the Rebels. Kennedy announced he was leaving following the season on February 12th, once it became clear that the Rebels were going to miss 'The Dance' for a third straight year. Six days and two losses later, that resignation became effective immediately.

Posted (edited)

Tom Kraft stepped down as Linganore's head coach 9 days ago, after 12 years at the helm for the Lancers. Kraft, an '88 Lancers graduate, posted a 152-127 record over the dozen of years, reaching the Final Four in 2015 (the third F4 trip in school history - '80, '04), losing to Westlake, 58-43, in the state semifinal. The Lancers went 4-17 in '13 and '14, before going 73-24 over the last four seasons. Following the Final Four season, the Lancers prospects for a back-to-back trip to College Park looked promising, with four starters, featuring Tom Lang and Jack Staub, all playing their third year as starters. Those Lancers started 22-1, before losing to Tuscarora in the regional semfinals, 58-45. The Titans handed the Lancers their only other loss that season. The last two seasons, the Lancers won 16 games, including handing Oakdale its only loss this season, prior to the Bears falling to Lake Clifton in the Final Four. The Lancers were bounced from the playoffs in the regional quarterfinals this season, losing to North Hagerstown.

Edited by themamba

Mt. Hebron High School boys and girls basketball job was opened by the administration.

Posted (edited)

Former Seneca Valley and Gaithersburg coach Tom Sheahin has taken the head coach job at Sherwood. As a boys coach, Sheahin has a 156-61 record in 9 seasons - 118-52 at his alma mater SV in 7 seasons, 38-9 in 2 at Gaithersburg. 

Edited by themamba

Posted (edited)

I've probably made 50 All-League and All-State teams over the years, and have stayed away from co-POY's. Until now. I had 3 players in a knot going into the Final 4, and that knot did not get untied in College Park. Demetrius Mims led the Engineers to its second title in two years, supplying a human highlight reel along the way. Laquill Hardnett did a lot of everything for the back-to-back 4A champion Gators, including being the chief facilitator, while also their leading scorer and rebounder. Deshawn Phillip was the quiet assassin for the 1A state champion Poets, their leader, and their leading scorer.

themamba's MPSSAA All-State 1st Team

*Laquill Hardnett (Perry Hall) 6'9 SR - Hardnett was named to the Baltimore Sun All-Met 1st team after leading the Gators to their second of back-to-back titles. Hardnett averaged 16.6 points, 10.7 rebounds, and 3.9 assists per game. The University of Cincinatti commit posted a triple-double of 14-11-12 in a win over Dulaney. In the regional final win v Paint Branch, Hardnett scored 26 points, snatched 14 rebounds, and dished out 8 assists. At the Final 4, Hardnett scored 9 points, grabbed 12 rebounds and dished out 7 assists v Gaithersburg in the semifinal, then scored 31 points (13-19) and hauled in 12 rebounds in the state final win over Bladensburg. Hardnett scored 1,087 points in his Gators career.

*Demetrius Mims (Poly) 6'5 SR - Mims was named to the Baltimore Sun All-Met 1st team. Mims, a Long Beach State commit, became the Engineers all-time leading scorer, with 1,516 points. Mims averaged 18.1 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 2 assists per game. Mims scored 29 points and grabbed 9 rebounds in a win over Perry Hall. Mims scored 18 points in both the sectional final v Potomac, and the regional final v Great Mills. In the Final 4, Mims scored 30 points and grabbed 9 rebounds v Decatur in the semifinal, and scored 17 points in the state final win over Milford Mill.

*Deshawn Phillip (Dunbar) 6'4 SR - Phillip was named to the Baltimore Sun All-Met 1st team, and was the undiputed catalyst and leader for the state champion Poets. Phillip, who holds a James Madison offer, averaged 18.6 points, 8.0 rebounds, and 2 steals per game. Phillip scored 22 points in a win over Milford Mill, and 19 points in the city title game loss to Poly. At the Final 4, Phillip scored 19 points, grabbed 9 rebounds, and dished out 3 assists in the state semifinal, then poured in 27 points and hauled in 13 rebounds in the state title win over Fairmont Heights. Phillip finished his Poets career with 1,312 points.

Daniel Oladapo (Bladensburg) 6'7 SR - Oladapo was named to the Washington Post All-Met 1st team. Oladapo averaged 23.2 points (3rd best in the MPSSAA) and 10.1 rebounds per game, while shooting 51% from the field. Oladapo scored 44 points v DuVal, scored 40 points and grabbed 13 rebounds v Suitland, 37 points v Northwestern, and scored 28 points and hauled in 17 rebounds v Bowie. In the Final 4, Oladapo scored 17 points v Old Mill in the semifinal, and scored 18 points and snatched 14 rebounds in the state final loss to Perry Hall. Oladapo finished with 1,376 points in his career.

Josh Cornish (Dulaney) 6'2 SR - Cornish was named Baltimore County Player of the Year, and was named to the Baltimore Sun All-Met 2nd team. Cornish averaged 21.5 points per game, 5th best in the MPSSAA. The Southern Utah commit scored 33 points in a loss to Perry Hall, and scored 25 points in a win over Oakland Mills.

Jason Newman (Potomac) 5'9 SR - Newman was named to the Washington Post All-Met 3rd team, and the PG All-County 1st team. Newman averaged 21.0 points per game, and finished 4th in the MPSSAA in assists, averaging 6.6 dimes per game. Newman scored 28 points and dished out 14 assists in a win over Theodore Roosevelt. Newman had 35 points and 6 assists v Laurel, and 30 points and 7 assists v Friendly. In the 3 point regional final loss to Poly, Newman scored 19 points.

Jordan Goodwin (Milford Mill) 6'1 SR - Goodwin was named to the Baltimore Sun All-Met 2nd team, and Baltimore County Player of the Year by Sports Majors. Goodwin averaged 19.1 points and nailed 48 trifectas this season. Goodwin scored 33 points in a playoff win over Dundalk, and 25 points in a playoff win over Woodlawn. Goodwin scored 27 points in a win over Perry Hall. 

Kevon Voyles (Decatur) 6'1 SR - Voyles was named Bayside Conference Player of the Year, and to the All-League 1st team for a second year in a row. Voyles, a UMES commit, averaged 25.3 points (2nd in the MPSSAA), 7.8 rebounds, and 5.8 assists per game. Voyles, who helped lead the Seahawks to three straight regional titles, scored 38 points in the regional final win over Centennial, 24 in the second half.

Darren Lucas-White (Fairmont Heights) 6'2 SR - Lucas-White, who helped lead the Hornets to the state title last year, and the state final this season, was named to the Washington Post All-Met 4th team. Lucas-White averaged 17.2 points, 7.8 rebounds, and 5.8 assists per game. Lucas-White posted four triple-doubles this season, and recorded 18 points, grabbed 8 rebounds and dished out 6 assists in a win over Potomac, which placed the Hornets in the PG title game. In the state title game loss to Dunbar, Lucas-White scored 19 points and grabbed 5 rebounds.

Collin Schlee (Oakdale) 6'2 JR - Schlee was named Frederick County Player of the Year. Schlee, who led the Bears to the Final 4, averaged 21.3 points (tied for 6th in the MPSSAA), 5.2 rebounds, and 2 assists per game. Schlee scored 40 points in a win over Flowers at the Governors Challenge. Schlee scored 29 points v state semifinalist Thomas Johnson. Schlee scored 30 points in the sectional final win over Liberty, and scored 22 points and had 5 rebounds in the Bears Final 4 loss to eventual state champion Lake Clifton.

Sherwyn Dervonish (Wise) 6'1 SR - Dervonish was named to the Washington Post All-Met 2nd team for the PG champion Pumas. Dervonish averaged 18.5 points, 2.5 assists, and 1.4 steals per game, while shooting 38% (44-117) from 3. Dervonish scored 29 points in a win over 4A state finalist Bladensburg. Dervonish scored 28 in a loss to Eleanor Roosevelt, and 23 in the Pumas playoff loss to Flowers.

Edited by themamba