Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eastside Terp

Caps 2017 .....

49 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, alienrace said:

I really hate the playoff format.  It's utterly stupid.  That said, either the Flyers or Pens will present a tough challenge.  That series is a tossup IMO.

I'm not sure really.  I have more confidence in Grubauer, but Holtby is probably the better choice in terms of experience.  He's not been the problem in the playoffs past, it's always been the lack of scoring combined with horrendous luck with this group.  Either goalie I think is on a short leash.  I do think though that this version of the Caps is much better equipped to deal with fast, gambling teams like the Pens who pressure the puck and try to cause chaos.  Caps are a fast team this year, and have been great at getting to the puck first.  The youth on the team has come up big this year, not to mention Ovi who should be MVP.  I think Kuzy comes up huge.  He's surpassed Backstrom IMO, and eventually will be the face of the team.  Might be the most talented player on the team really.  

I hope you are right about kuzy.....

His disappearing in the playoffs 2 seasons ago was the key .....

I agree, tough call in goal, maybe a change would help, but who knows .....

Oh well, team dealt with cap issues, overachieved a bit and was a pleasant surprise but get ready for the choke posts and articles even if the lose to the eventual cup champ again .....

Just now, Eastside Terp said:

I hope you are right about kuzy.....

His disappearing in the playoffs 2 seasons ago was the key .....

I agree, tough call in goal, maybe a change would help, but who knows .....

Oh well, team dealt with cap issues, overachieved a bit and was a pleasant surprise but get ready for the choke posts and articles even if the lose to the eventual cup champ again .....

Yeah, of course there will be trolls posting about choking if they don't win the Cup, but that's what trolls do ;)

Last year though, I do feel like they choked, and I think you might have pointed it out that in game six they were obliterating the Pens and let them get a few garbage time goals that gave the Pens confidence going into game 7.  They were superior to the Pens and the pressure once again caused them to play ultra tight.  A lot has changed for both teams since then though.  I wouldn't call the Caps superior to the Pens this year, in fact I'd say they would be the underdog no matter who they face in the second round should they get that far even.  It's an overachieving team, that doesn't have a lot of expectations, which hey, maybe that works in their favor for once.

Going with grubauer.....

He has been the better goalie down the stretch ....

Need a hit goalie to go deep and ballsie call by trotz....

Could be on the hot seat if it blows up.....

How will the Capitals choke in this year's Stanley Cup?

25 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

So it begins...:mellow:

Yea, that was pretty bad...  

Posted (edited)

Stupid mistakes loss.

Edited by alienrace

Vrana had < 7 minutes ice time .....

His speed made things happen.....

Did ovi play? ......

Vrana is a healthy scratch for tonight .....

I think that's a mistake....

Ugh, not a lot of confidence down 2 games.  Penalties are hurting.

Yea, worse than being a cub fan .....

2 stupid penalties .....

Just seems like they have a let down for 2o seconds and the defense gets beat....

Not sustained pressure....

Geeze, we had almost 60 shots ....

Thought that penalty in OT was going to be the end.  Nice win, even though I went to bed after the first OT.

Yea, I stayed up, paying for it today ....

This team doesn't let you relax and win any laughers.....

Vrana speed really helps, orpik almost cost us the game several times ....

Holtby is the key, tommorrow is the must win, win the game well win the series......

Yeah, definitely like a win and no OT on a work night.

Fortunately the penalty 30 seconds in proved to not be a bad omen.

Best game Caps played this year.  Sad to say, but I think had Holtby started the first two games the series would be over.  Now that I've said that, watch him suck in game five, lol.

1 hour ago, alienrace said:

Best game Caps played this year.  Sad to say, but I think had Holtby started the first two games the series would be over.  Now that I've said that, watch him suck in game five, lol.

I know ......

It was a bad time for a goalie controversy but Grubauer was playing better down the stretch ......

Looks like riding the bench got holtby attention .....

Let's just hope their goalie has finally come back to earth because he has been the difference......

After laying an egg with a horrible showing in the 3rd, they showed up in ot and got it done .....

Can't relax when you are watching this team in the playoffs......

Other than the 3rd of this game have been dominating the series but their goalie has been mvp of series .....

Holtby has been good as well but not in Bob's league .....

Yeah if not for Bobrovsky the Caps might be setting records. Tons of really good scoring chances, and just tons of puck domination. 

Well, that was a wild one!  

Not expecting them to get past the Pens though. Last year was the year they should have.  Regardless, I think the Lightning are beating either team.