Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
songfourone

Trump says he understands legislation better ‘than any president’

50 posts in this topic

President Trump shot back at reports that he doesn’t understand legislation in a new interview, boasting that he knows more about “the big bills” in Congress “than any president that’s ever been in office.”

“I know the details of taxes better than anybody,” Trump said in an interview with The New York Times. “Better than the greatest C.P.A. I know the details of health care better than most, better than most.”

Trump gave the interview from his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, where he’s spending the holidays. His comments come a week after he signed the GOP tax bill into law, the first major legislative success of his presidency.

Multiple reports in recent months have pointed to Trump officials and lawmakers on Capitol Hill who have expressed concern that Trump hasn’t fully understood recent policy moves.

In September, The Times reported that Trump administration officials worried that Trump didn’t fully understand what it meant to phase out the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/366741-trump-says-he-understands-legislation-better-than-any-president

Trumps base believes him.

The entire interview strikes me as being someone who is in cognitive decline. Whether it's dementia or something else, it's not at all reassuring.

There was a study some while back that compared actual IQ to the IQ the study subject believed he or she possessed. About 100, they matched fairly closely; the ability to self-assess was good. Below 100, the subjects actually believed they were much smarter than tests confirmed they were. The question then becomes, which side of that curve is Trump on?

I don’t understand this aspect of him. All the bluster and lying about things that don’t matter.

Trump has a few screws loose... a few bulbs burned out...  someone left the barn door open...

Truly, his behavior is beyond rational.  Everyone scrambles to avoid the obvious conclusion.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I don’t understand this aspect of him. All the bluster and lying about things that don’t matter.

He has an inferiority complex.  Just shameful.

Democrats spent eight years losing the support of the American people, yet they continued to operate under the delusion that Americans wanted more leftism, when in fact, they were fed up with it, and all the RINOS too. That’s why Trump’s in the White House. Nearly fourteen months of whining is a clear indication you guys still don’t get it. 

45 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

That's just it - they matter to him. From the outside it looks like profound insecurity.

29 minutes ago, volperdinger said:

Democrats spent eight years losing the support of the American people, yet they continued to operate under the delusion that Americans wanted more leftism, when in fact, they were fed up with it, and all the RINOS too. That’s why Trump’s in the White House. Nearly fourteen months of whining is a clear indication you guys still don’t get it. 

That you see objections to Trump as "whining" is a clear indication of what you fail to understand, I fear.

The president of the United States is not well.

excerpt;

Consider the interview Trump gave to the New York Times on Thursday. It begins with a string of falsehoods that make it difficult to tell whether the leader of the free world is lying or delusional. Remember, these are President Donald Trump’s words, after being told a recording device is on:

Virtually every Democrat has said there is no collusion. There is no collusion. And even these committees that have been set up. If you look at what’s going on — and in fact, what it’s done is, it’s really angered the base and made the base stronger. My base is stronger than it’s ever been. Great congressmen, in particular, some of the congressmen have been unbelievable in pointing out what a witch hunt the whole thing is. So, I think it’s been proven that there is no collusion.

It almost goes without saying that literally zero congressional Democrats have said that there was no collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign during the 2016 election. Zero.

Interesting read, both the linked piece and the interview.  

The 'Red Flags' have been raised.

Ignore them at our peril.

That's Trump working his base.

"They made the Russian story up as a hoax, as a ruse, as an excuse for losing an election that in theory Democrats should always win with the Electoral College."
The special counsel was formed by Rod Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general in the Trump Justice Department -- an organization with which he has "absolute right to do what I want to do." Mueller had been appointed head of the FBI by a Republican president. The heads of the two congressional committees investigating Russian involvement in the election are Republicans.

"I don't want to get into loyalty, but I will tell you that, I will say this: Holder protected President Obama. Totally protected him."
I don't want to pick my favorite Trump quote in this interview but I will tell you this is it.

"We hear bulls*** from the Democrats. Like Joe Manchin. Joe's a nice guy."
From "bulls***" to "nice guy" in eight words: The presidency of Donald Trump.

"I called it."
This quote is specifically about Trump's decision to endorse incumbent Republican Luther Strange over Roy Moore in Alabama's Senate primary race. But it pretty much works for any situation tied to Trump. Ever. Forever.

"I'm not being centered."
Yes, this is a real quote.

"He treated me better than anybody's ever been treated in the history of China."
In the history of China.

"One of the great two days of anybody's life and memory having to do with China."
Anybody's life and memory.

Link

Edited by hst2

19 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

That you see objections to Trump as "whining" is a clear indication of what you fail to understand, I fear.

Nope, on the contrary. When Obama won twice, the Republicans didn’t stomp their feet and howl at the sky on a pre-determined date. They got on with their lives and devised a strategy that has resulted in huge majorities in state legislatures and governorships. Don’t get me wrong, it will eventually swing the other way, but so far, the only message that the Democrats have put forth is “we hate Trump “ or encourage people to “resist”. It doesn’t sound like a winning strategy to me, not that I care. 

18 minutes ago, volperdinger said:

Nope, on the contrary. When Obama won twice, the Republicans didn’t stomp their feet and howl at the sky on a pre-determined date. They got on with their lives and devised a strategy that has resulted in huge majorities in state legislatures and governorships. Don’t get me wrong, it will eventually swing the other way, but so far, the only message that the Democrats have put forth is “we hate Trump “ or encourage people to “resist”. It doesn’t sound like a winning strategy to me, not that I care. 

I agree with you that simply opposing Trump is a bad strategy. He is liked because he is attacked. They can allow Trump to energize their base, which he clearly has, without using him themselves as a reason to vote for them. 

Democrats need to attack the programs he supports. After all, his and the GOP programs are pretty unpopular.

The GOP did well over the past eight years, in part, because of low turnout and extreme, even racist gerrymandering. Most people really don't like what they stand for. This isn't lost on them as they try to limit the vote under the guise of "voter reform".

But it has been about 30 years since a Republican presidential candidate who wasn't an incumbent, won the presidency with the popular vote. The voters are there for the Dems, if they can energize their base and overcome voting obstacles that the GOP put in place.

Edited by hst2

1 hour ago, volperdinger said:

65,844,954 people disagreed with your analysis.

What a gibbering idiot.

I wouldn't trust this guy to feed a fish over the weekend, how the hell did he get to be president?

1 hour ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

Of course you don't understand it.  It's often hard for those of us without mental ailments to understand them

Trump displays delusions in his New York Times interview

Over and over during the 30-minute session, Trump cast his performance in terms so grandiose and extreme as to be self-evidently false. Taken together, his comments signaled an inability to grasp conditions in the country, the limitations of his own capacities and the nature of the office he holds.

John Harwood, mainstream reporter.

36 minutes ago, Calamari said:

What a gibbering idiot.

I wouldn't trust this guy to feed a fish over the weekend, how the hell did he get to be president?

Because the media allowed lies about Hillary Clinton to go unchallenged. 

1 hour ago, volperdinger said:

You're right that the screaming on the anniversary of Trump's election was idiotic. However, Trump is a much worse president than Obama was, without considering whether one agrees with the programs each favored or not. Trump has something wrong with him.

Are you seriously trying to convince me that you didn't vote for Trump, and don't plan to vote for him again in '20? I find that difficult to believe.

Edited by Evil Yoda

2 hours ago, gonzoliberal said:

The president of the United States is not well.

excerpt;

Consider the interview Trump gave to the New York Times on Thursday. It begins with a string of falsehoods that make it difficult to tell whether the leader of the free world is lying or delusional. Remember, these are President Donald Trump’s words, after being told a recording device is on:

Virtually every Democrat has said there is no collusion. There is no collusion. And even these committees that have been set up. If you look at what’s going on — and in fact, what it’s done is, it’s really angered the base and made the base stronger. My base is stronger than it’s ever been. Great congressmen, in particular, some of the congressmen have been unbelievable in pointing out what a witch hunt the whole thing is. So, I think it’s been proven that there is no collusion.

It almost goes without saying that literally zero congressional Democrats have said that there was no collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign during the 2016 election. Zero.

Interesting read, both the linked piece and the interview.  

The 'Red Flags' have been raised.

Ignore them at our peril.

Must be infuriating that he is out performing that egghead Barry domestically, internationally and everywhere in between.  

2 minutes ago, RileyMartin said:

Must be infuriating that he is out performing that egghead Barry domestically, internationally and everywhere in between.  

:lol::lol::lol: This is the funniest thing I've read all year!

5 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

:lol::lol::lol: This is the funniest thing I've read all year!

He’s even managed to get the partisan bureaucrats who weoponized the govt  unmasking their own....