Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gonzoliberal

How America is Transforming Islam

175 posts in this topic

Being young and Muslim in the U.S. means navigating multiple identities. Nothing shows that more than falling in love.

excerpt;

American culture often presents two opposing paths for young Muslims. On one side are people like President Donald Trump, who retweets unverified videos purporting to show Muslim violence; says things like “I think Islam hate us”; and claims there’s “no real assimilation” among even second- and third-generation Muslims in the U.S. On the other are movies like The Big Sick, which depicts the autobiographical love story of Kumail Nanjiani, a Muslim comedian who rejects religion and falls in love with a white woman, devastating his immigrant family.

In reality, most Muslims are somewhere in between. U.S. Muslims—roughly 60 percent of whom are under 40—are going through a process that’s quintessentially American: finding new, diverse, self-constructed identities in their faith, ranging from fully secular to deeply pious. The contours may be particular to Islam, but the story is one shared by Catholics, Jews, and even the Puritans. Muslims are creating distinctively American forms of their religion.

As a group, Muslims are extremely diverse, and their experiences reflect that diversity. Some young Muslims care deeply about their religious and cultural identities, but choose to prioritize other parts of life. Others self-define new, non-traditional ways of engaging with their faith. Immigrants understand the country differently than people who have been in the U.S. for generations; black Muslims encounter distinctive kinds of discrimination and have particular communal needs. Converts face questions from family members who might not understand their new religion, and have to navigate the sometimes-unfamiliar cultures of new friends and partners. And some Muslims don’t feel accepted by their own community, for reasons of race, gender, or sexuality.

We have spoken here about the possibility of a Muslim 'Reformation', an idea ridiculed by conservatives on both sides of the pond.

Here we have a different path, a truly American path.  Complex, painful and uncharted, this 're-formation' is happening in spite of those who wish Islam to remain as it has for centuries.

A rather long read...

It seems rather US-centric. How about Muslims in other Western countries? 

3 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

I have some Arab-Muslim friends in Canada, Amsterdam, and Germany. They are very Western

32 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

The story was about young U.S. Muslims. 

26 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

The story was about young U.S. Muslims. 

Yes, but the implication is that only the U.S. can transform Islam. 

2 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Yes, but the implication is that only the U.S. can transform Islam. 

That thought never occurred to me as I was reading the article. With the title being "How America is Transforming Islam", I wasn't expecting to read about how other countries were transforming Islam. 

2 hours ago, gonzoliberal said:

Being young and Muslim in the U.S. means navigating multiple identities. Nothing shows that more than falling in love.

excerpt;

American culture often presents two opposing paths for young Muslims. On one side are people like President Donald Trump, who retweets unverified videos purporting to show Muslim violence; says things like “I think Islam hate us”; and claims there’s “no real assimilation” among even second- and third-generation Muslims in the U.S. On the other are movies like The Big Sick, which depicts the autobiographical love story of Kumail Nanjiani, a Muslim comedian who rejects religion and falls in love with a white woman, devastating his immigrant family.

In reality, most Muslims are somewhere in between. U.S. Muslims—roughly 60 percent of whom are under 40—are going through a process that’s quintessentially American: finding new, diverse, self-constructed identities in their faith, ranging from fully secular to deeply pious. The contours may be particular to Islam, but the story is one shared by Catholics, Jews, and even the Puritans. Muslims are creating distinctively American forms of their religion.

As a group, Muslims are extremely diverse, and their experiences reflect that diversity. Some young Muslims care deeply about their religious and cultural identities, but choose to prioritize other parts of life. Others self-define new, non-traditional ways of engaging with their faith. Immigrants understand the country differently than people who have been in the U.S. for generations; black Muslims encounter distinctive kinds of discrimination and have particular communal needs. Converts face questions from family members who might not understand their new religion, and have to navigate the sometimes-unfamiliar cultures of new friends and partners. And some Muslims don’t feel accepted by their own community, for reasons of race, gender, or sexuality.

We have spoken here about the possibility of a Muslim 'Reformation', an idea ridiculed by conservatives on both sides of the pond.

Here we have a different path, a truly American path.  Complex, painful and uncharted, this 're-formation' is happening in spite of those who wish Islam to remain as it has for centuries.

A rather long read...

Let me know when being young and Muslim in the U.S. means the Muslim community here will become accepting of same sex marriage and allow female clergy.

Seems to be a major bone of contention that many liberals and people on the left have about certain Christian denominations. 

3 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Let me know when being young and Muslim in the U.S. means the Muslim community here will become accepting of same sex marriage and allow female clergy.

Seems to be a major bone of contention that many liberals and people on the left have about certain Christian denominations. 

Typical double standard.

Secular lefts are agnostic towards religion, yet they revere and respect the cult known as Islam.

1 hour ago, FatBoy said:

Right wingers hate other religions. 

Religious people are frequently less intelligent. Less intelligent people tend to be less mentally agile, because they lack the confidence to re-evaluate a conclusion they have already reached. One of the strongest conclusions people reach is which religion is telling the truth. On top of that, parents usually do their children the grave disservice of pushing religion on them long before they are mentally sophisticated enough to evaluate concepts like "Why do we exist?", "Did someone make the universe, and if so who and why?", and the biggest, "What happens after death?" Such concepts, and the body of religious lore that they inspired, are suitable for adult consideration. Morals should be taught to the young, but not using "Do what I tell you or you will go to hell" logic.

Muslims in other nations appear from the outside to be more insular than they are here.

Edited by Evil Yoda

1 hour ago, FatBoy said:

Right wingers hate other religions. 

I think most all Americans hate Koran and Bible thumpers in general.

I think as long as they stay in their respective corners and leave the rest of us alone we are good with that.

I know I am.

3 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

Trump sends tweets supporting the revolution, the enlightened European "allies " are silent. I wonder why....:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

Religious people are frequently less intelligent. Less intelligent people tend to be less mentally agile, because they lack the confidence to re-evaluate a conclusion they have already reached. One of the strongest conclusions people reach is which religion is telling the truth. On top of that, parents usually do their children the grave disservice of pushing religion on them long before they are mentally sophisticated enough to evaluate concepts like "Why do we exist?", "Did someone make the universe, and if so who and why?", and the biggest, "What happens after death?" Such concepts, and the body of religious lore that they inspired, are suitable for adult consideration. Morals should be taught to the young, but not using "Do what I tell you or you will go to hell" logic.

Muslims in other nations appear from the outside to be more insular than they are here.

Who determines what is moral?

3 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

The US is becoming less and less religious. If you talk to teens these days they are less involved in the church and religion than ever before. If we become a totally secular nation (which we practically are now) what the church taught as morality, based on scripture, becomes moral relativism . No? I mean the church would point at the 10 commandments as the moral guidelines. Hence, wouldn't what a society considers as moral, depend on what they themselves decide is moral? For example, NAMBLA considers men having sex with under age boys perfectly natural.  So who makes the decision on what a society would consider moral?

1 hour ago, workerbee said:

Who determines what is moral?

I kind of expanded on your question.

1 hour ago, mrdeltoid said:

The US is becoming less and less religious. If you talk to teens these days they are less involved in the church and religion than ever before. If we become a totally secular nation (which we practically are now) what the church taught as morality, based on scripture, becomes moral relativism . No? I mean the church would point at the 10 commandments as the moral guidelines. Hence, wouldn't what a society considers as moral, depend on what they themselves decide is moral? For example, NAMBLA considers men having sex with under age boys perfectly natural.  So who makes the decision on what a society would consider moral?

In America, society makes the laws through the electoral system.  We trust each other, in the aggregate, to own the wisdom required to make such laws just and moral.

No invisible spirit required.

There will always be outliers, but we trust ourselves to draw that line, for better or worse.

Anything else is tyranny.

7 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

I imagine you will have a long wait, and the wait for the Catholic community to become accepting of same sex marriage and allowing female clergy might be just as long.      

10 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

10 hours ago, mcorioles said:

Typical double standard.

Worried thar American Muslims are becoming more Enlightened than you fellows are? 

You should. Many are.

6 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Worried thar American Muslims are becoming more Enlightened than you fellows are? 

You should. Many are.

There you go again treating your opinion as fact.

I don't care,my life couldn't be better.

Especially now that Trump has doubled my 401k .....Obama never came close.

Retiring at 55.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

There you go again treating your opinion as fact.

I don't care,my life couldn't be better.

Especially now that Trump has doubled my 401k .....Obama never came close.

Retiring at 55.

Yes, but you support treating gays as second class citizens and seem to take some solace in believing that Muslims treat them worse.

I wouldn't count on that continuing among many Muslims in this country.

Edited by hst2

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

It's common sense, Bro. Everyone in my family has varying degrees of commitment to religion. However, none of us have a problem distinguishing between right and wrong.

And on the subject of NAMBLA, how do you draw a distinction between NAMBLA and the modern Catholic clergy? Other than the fact that NAMBLA doesn't try to hide their perversion. 

Edited by FatBoy

Speaking of this, if you haven't seen The Big Sick, which is a biographical of Kumail Nanjani (he plays himself), it's pretty good.

13 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

13 hours ago, Manny said:

Secular lefts are agnostic towards religion, yet they revere and respect the cult known as Islam.

I hope you two check under your beds tonight before going to bed. Mooselimbs are especially active on New Years eve.