ncbirdfan

The Baltimore Drop Passes game thread

175 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, ChippewaJoe said:

But....they shut out a Packer team that was an Antonio Brown HOF reception from taking the Steelers to OT.

Blew out a Dolphins team 40-0, that beat the Patriots last week. 

This team was 'capable'  Great?  No.  But I would have bet house money on them next week in KC.  A shame we'll never find out.

\

I think we'll agree to disagree on that.  I would have made KC my lock of the playoffs next week.  I love the speed matchups that KC would have on the Ravens.  I do believe the Ravens offense would have scored on KC's defense, but the Raven's defense makes their living on TOs and one thing Alex Smith is good at is not turning the ball over.  As for the Packers, they were not very good without Rogers.  The Steeler game was just the Steelers playing down to weaker teams.  They tend to do that.  They needed last second FGs to beat the Bengals, Packers, Ravens, and Colts this year.  And believe it or not, the Patriots have struggled with Miami in Miami.  Tom Brady has a 7-9 record in Miami.  Hard to believe.  

1 minute ago, Kawalimus said:

You can literally like slide or take a knee you dont have to get hit. P Manning did it all the time

I can see that if you're in the pocket and just go down if you see the pocket collapsing, but not on that play. The Ravens were trying to set up a screen, not roll Flacco out of the pocket.

1 minute ago, cprenegade said:

I think we'll agree to disagree on that.  I would have made KC my lock of the playoffs next week.  I love the speed matchups that KC would have on the Ravens.  I do believe the Ravens offense would have scored on KC's defense, but the Raven's defense makes their living on TOs and one thing Alex Smith is good at is not turning the ball over.  As for the Packers, they were not very good without Rogers.  The Steeler game was just the Steelers playing down to weaker teams.  They tend to do that.  They needed last second FGs to beat the Bengals, Packers, Ravens, and Colts this year.  And believe it or not, the Patriots have struggled with Miami in Miami.  Tom Brady has a 7-9 record in Miami.  Hard to believe.  

Yeah, I thought Kansas City might have been a more challenging matchup for the Ravens than Jacksonville. Their speed would have made things difficult for the Ravens defensively, because as we saw on that last touchdown today, the Ravens are not particularly fast in the secondary. Jacksonville could pound Leonard Fournette all game, but since the Ravens are typically better against the run than the pass, I thought that might play into their favor. Play the run and make Blake Bortles beat you.

I stupidly turned it back on in the second half. 

I'm just emotionally numb at this point. 

As to the trolls and Yinzers and dirtbags coming out of the woodwork on this thread, Happy New Year, try not to be as stupid in real life as you are on these boards, no drinking and driving tonight.

17 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

According to Jeff Zbrebiec of the The Sun, the Ravens played man-to-man on the Bengals for that entire last series. Then they switched to zone on the fourth-and-12 and blew the coverage. 

I think the only thing Pees should have done differently on that last play was realize Andy Dalton was going to go downfield on that throw. (Unlike the Ravens, other teams throw the ball more than 10 yards when they need a long gain. The Ravens needed to pull the safeties back some, let the corners play off and keep the play in front of him. With AJ Green being double-covered (and I believe they also sent a blitzer on that play) Dalton had single-high coverage to the other side, which, as long as he had time to throw, is a pretty easy read.

Fouts was calling the coverages as the Bengals lined up for that last play, so it was pretty easy to determine where the pass might go.

I like Fouts on games. 

12 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

According to Jeff Zbrebiec of the The Sun, the Ravens played man-to-man on the Bengals for that entire last series. Then they switched to zone on the fourth-and-12 and blew the coverage. 

I think the only thing Pees should have done differently on that last play was realize Andy Dalton was going to go downfield on that throw. (Unlike the Ravens, other teams throw the ball more than 10 yards when they need a long gain. The Ravens needed to pull the safeties back some, let the corners play off and keep the play in front of him. With AJ Green being double-covered (and I believe they also sent a blitzer on that play) Dalton had single-high coverage to the other side, which, as long as he had time to throw, is a pretty easy read.

Fouts was calling the coverages as the Bengals lined up for that last play, so it was pretty easy to determine where the pass might go.

5 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Yeah, take a sack and risk a strip from the blind side and fumble. That's not a good idea. No way I can put this on Flacco. Cincinnati had run about 11 offensive plays in the entire second half, so you put it into your defense's hands to stop them one more time.

Now that last play of the game--that might call for some second-guessing. I understand that Cincinnati was playing a mile back, but still, a 5-yard dump-off to a 37-year-old tight end and then expecting him to get close to nine yards on his own is probably being a tad optimistic. The options were rather limited, however, particularly with Campanero getting hurt (again) going out of bounds after kick off return.

I agree on both counts.  Fouts called Boyd with single man coverage before the ball was snapped.  How do you let him get at that point and make the catch?  Unreal.  As for the final play, why?   You dump the ball off and hope the guy gets to the first down marker?  At least Cincinnati went downfield and let the chips fall where they may.  But I can't fault the offense for this loss.  For all of the investment the Ravens made on defense this off season, it did not pay off.  At some point the Raven's FO has to realize you need to address the offense and get some young skill players and not just try to win games on defense.  The rules have been changing against that philosophy for a while.  Stop signing other teams cast offs and start drafting and developing some good young offensive talent.  

4 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Yeah, I thought Kansas City might have been a more challenging matchup for the Ravens than Jacksonville. Their speed would have made things difficult for the Ravens defensively, because as we saw on that last touchdown today, the Ravens are not particularly fast in the secondary. Jacksonville could pound Leonard Fournette all game, but since the Ravens are typically better against the run than the pass, I thought that might play into their favor. Play the run and make Blake Bortles beat you.

Any team coached by Andy Reid is beatable in the playoffs!

This team was always 2 years away from making any real impact. I think the defense is, and will be fine next year. The infusion of youth will pay off- they need to make some modifications here and there, but in general the Defense is going to be stronger as these younger guys and rookies develop with a year under their belt.

Now if the Ravens focus on the draft offensively like they did this year with the Defense- a big if because they can't for the life of them draft WRs- we can be 11-12 wins next year imo.

Another thing that I don't think has been mentioned here is the horrible penalty on Marlon Humphries.  He tackled a guy in the secondary.  How do you not think that will be a penalty?  And what really hurts is that it negated a game ending interception.  If Humphries doesn't make that play, game is over and the Ravens are preparing for KC.  The rookie blew that one big time.  

7 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

Another thing that I don't think has been mentioned here is the horrible penalty on Marlon Humphries.  He tackled a guy in the secondary.  How do you not think that will be a penalty?  And what really hurts is that it negated a game ending interception.  If Humphries doesn't make that play, game is over and the Ravens are preparing for KC.  The rookie blew that one big time.  

I didn't watch the game but I have already herd the Ravens made out 2 or 3 time on penalties. One that was extremely questionable.   

58 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Yeah, take a sack and risk a strip from the blind side and fumble. That's not a good idea. No way I can put this on Flacco. Cincinnati had run about 11 offensive plays in the entire second half, so you put it into your defense's hands to stop them one more time.

Now that last play of the game--that might call for some second-guessing. I understand that Cincinnati was playing a mile back, but still, a 5-yard dump-off to a 37-year-old tight end and then expecting him to get close to nine yards on his own is probably being a tad optimistic. The options were rather limited, however, particularly with Campanero getting hurt (again) going out of bounds after kick off return.

Yeah, good point about Flacco throwing the ball at the receivers feet on the screen play. The play wasn't there so what sense is it to force the ball into coverage or to keerp the play alive by running around? He avoided a turnover. The fact is that the defense gave up a go ahead touchdown on a,4th and 12. We have seen this too many times.

It's just an old storyline replayed over and over and over. The offense is one more first down away from pretty much putting the game away, and they far too often fail, and also stop the clock a time or three too many in the process. Then the opponent gets the ball back with more time, more timeouts, and thus more options. Instead of getting the ball back with no TOs and 40 seconds left, they get the ball back with 2:30, a TO and the 2 minute warning. 

The Ravens are quite possibly the worst offense I have ever seen at executing a screen pass in forever now. Where that's usually a high percentage play of keeping the clock running, the Ravens make it a high percentage incompletion... and they run it in situations where you want to keep the clock ticking.

I. Cannot. Stand. It. Anymore. :)

38 minutes ago, russsnyder said:

Yeah, good point about Flacco throwing the ball at the receivers feet on the screen play. The play wasn't there so what sense is it to force the ball into coverage or to keerp the play alive by running around? He avoided a turnover. The fact is that the defense gave up a go ahead touchdown on a,4th and 12. We have seen this too many times.

No one is saying 'force the ball into coverage'.  No one is saying ' take a sack and risk a strip from the blind side and fumble'.  Good gawd, men, read what's being said.

Most of us like Joe.  There's no SB 47 ring without him.  On that play, when you realize it is totally blown up, run off to the right as far as you can, and fall or slide inbounds. No one cares if you lose two yards, five yards, eight yards, or ten yards.  The clock keeps running, or Cincy burns a TO.  Koch buries them deep regardless of the spike or the sack. 

That's the smart play (other than not trying a screen by a team that generally doesn't know how to run a screen).

That said....just like Juszczyk's TD against the Steelers last year, Collins 4th down TD ....which should be remembered as the play of the year.....will be forgotten by most.  Frick the TD, escaping for the first down was incredible.  Touchdown?  Damn, what a play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sign that kid up!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, ChippewaJoe said:

No one is saying 'force the ball into coverage'.  No one is saying ' take a sack and risk a strip from the blind side and fumble'.  Good gawd, men, read what's being said.

Most of us like Joe.  There's no SB 47 ring without him.  On that play, when you realize it is totally blown up, run off to the right as far as you can, and fall or slide inbounds. No one cares if you lose two yards, five yards, eight yards, or ten yards.  The clock keeps running, or Cincy burns a TO.  Koch buries them deep regardless of the spike or the sack. 

That's the smart play (other than not trying a screen by a team that generally doesn't know how to run a screen).

That said....just like Juszczyk's TD against the Steelers last year, Collins 4th down TD ....which should be remembered as the play of the year.....will be forgotten by most.  Frick the TD, escaping for the first down was incredible.  Touchdown?  Damn, what a play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sign that kid up!!!!!!!!!

I think what we have seen with Flacco this season was that he is finally healthy. Those last 5 games were pretty good and he is not the reason the Ravens are not in the postseason. The defense, even though it had three shutouts, was mediocre in many games. Today's game was just one example. It once again was unable to shut the opponent down when needed. I truly believe if Flacco can get some receivers that are reliable and with a healthy offensive line (even though the line did OK this year despite all the injuries) that the Ravens offense can make some waves next year. On defense the Ravens have to have a plan WITHOUT Jimmy Smith as he has proven he cannot last a full season and when he goes down the defense struggles.

2 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Hill and Kelsey would have had career games ....

Just now, ncbirdfan said:

I think what we have seen with Flacco this season was that he is finally healthy. Those last 5 games were pretty good and he is not the reason the Ravens are not in the postseason. The defense, even though it had three shutouts, was mediocre in many games. Today's game was just one example. It once again was unable to shut the opponent down when needed. I truly believe if Flacco can get some receivers that are reliable and with a healthy offensive line (even though the line did OK this year despite all the injuries) that the Ravens offense can make some waves next year. On defense the Ravens have to have a plan WITHOUT Jimmy Smith as he has proven he cannot last a full season and when he goes down the defense struggles.

Spot on really.

Flacco put the team on his back today and got the lead after the defense and receivers were abysmal in the first half.  He made some plays and throws that were pretty amazing.  He missed a few, but everyone, even GOAT Brady does too.  He played well enough to win, in fact, the entire offense played well enough to win.  They lost simply because the defense, once again, couldn't stop the Bengals in 4 down territory.  This is fairly widespread in the NFL, and I really wish it would be addressed by the rules comittee.  Defenses are far too handcuffed anymore. 

All in all though, getting to 9-7 was somewhat of a miracle given the injuries this year.  This team more than anything, just needs to find a way to stay reasonably healthy and not have half of their starters on IR. 

19 minutes ago, ChippewaJoe said:

I am reading what is being said. I think that it is, preposterous to expect Flacco to run around with pressure in his face to burn off some clock. Hell, he could fumble as he is trying to fall down to take the sack. His play was the correct one and smart play. Besides, Koch did pin them back and the D gave up a TD on 4th and 12. This was after extending the drive twice with a defensive hold and PI penalty. 

Just now, russsnyder said:

I am reading what is being said. I think that it is, preposterous to expect Flacco to run around with pressure in his face to burn off some clock. Hell, he could fumble as he is trying to fall down to take the sack. His play was the correct one and smart play. Besides, Koch did pin them back and the D gave up a TD on 4th and 12. This was after extending the drive twice with a defensive hold and PI penalty. 

The loss is on the defense - because of the reasons you've stated.

I just want to know what was up with the LB Rey.?? At least 4 times the guy was injured and play was stopped. But he sure looked fine at the end of the game. Was it intentional.??

6 minutes ago, alienrace said:

Spot on really.

Flacco put the team on his back today and got the lead after the defense and receivers were abysmal in the first half.  He made some plays and throws that were pretty amazing.  He missed a few, but everyone, even GOAT Brady does too.  He played well enough to win, in fact, the entire offense played well enough to win.  They lost simply because the defense, once again, couldn't stop the Bengals in 4 down territory.  This is fairly widespread in the NFL, and I really wish it would be addressed by the rules comittee.  Defenses are far too handcuffed anymore. 

All in all though, getting to 9-7 was somewhat of a miracle given the injuries this year.  This team more than anything, just needs to find a way to stay reasonably healthy and not have half of their starters on IR. 

I agree completely. I've made the comment earlier that the great defense in the first Super Bowl winning season wondering how it would have done with these current rules. And seemingly these rules are in place for safety reasons. And is it just me or are there more injuries in recent years since they put these "safety rules" in place than ever before?

5 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

I just want to know what was up with the LB Rey.?? At least 4 times the guy was injured and play was stopped. But he sure looked fine at the end of the game. Was it intentional.??

I wondered that as well. Of course it is up to the officiating crew to determine that if they suspect anything.

5 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

Hard to win a home game when 1/2 the seats are empty. 

I believe some of missing fans may be due to the NFL changing the time of the game.  

8 minutes ago, alienrace said:

Spot on really.

I kind of agree with you, but I also kind of don't.  Yes they had a lot of injuries, more than a lot of other teams.  And I do give Harbaugh credit for keeping the team in contention with all of those injuries.  But at the same time look at who they played.  By my count the Ravens played 9 teams with either rookie QBs or a QB that wasn't their starter at the beginning of training camp.  I don't remember anyone ever having that favorable of a schedule.  I think that schedule sort of balances out the injuries they suffered.  All in all I think they ended up about where I thought they would before the season started.  Around a .500 team that would be in the mix for a wild card.  What is disappointing is that with everything that happened, they controlled their own destiny and were home against a team with nothing to play for.  They shook off a terrible first half, took a lead, and still couldn't finish the game.  With all of the effort that was put into the defense over the off season to prevent what happened at the end today, it still happened.  

31 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

I believe some of missing fans may be due to the NFL changing the time of the game.  

Fear weather fans.