Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Balmerboh

Joe Flacco: Is CTE a real concern?

30 posts in this topic

After he threw that incomplete screen pass on the second to last drive, honest to God, the passing thought of Joe having some type of real brain trauma occurred to me.  That’s just not something that ANY 10th year QB with an intact brain would do (on top off about 150 other things Flacco has done in retrospect ).  

Whether the ramifications of the Kiko Alonso hit need to be looked at more closely, or there is something non-head related occurring, based on his display in total, I think it’s fair to wonder about Joe Flacco’s neurological health.  

I think this is going way, way overboard.

Joe always thought he is already to good. The game they put Taylor in and Joe lined up at the top of the field and just stood there for the whole play. Basically we had 10 guys on the field. Then during the presser he was like, ya whatever. I would have sat his *** for a month after that but nothing.  

It's just a terribly schemed offense designed by a guy with no grasp of playing to his players' strengths or consideration of game situation, field position, game clock, timeouts, opponent, or score.

Joe isn't pinpoint accurate, never has been, never will be. He's going to throw 2 to 4 passes a game that leave you puzzled. He's always been a fraction of a second slower than the very top QBs with decision-making. It is what it is. You can still win a Superbowl with him behind center though.

Nobody in their right mind calls the pass play the Ravens ran last year at home late vs. PHI, when 3 hand-offs and a short FG by the best kicker in the NFL ice the game. But Marty did. He just doesn't have a feel for situations...

I would be happy if he wasn' the starting qb next year, even though it's a pipe dream.

Joe's not beating anyone with his brain like Manning/Brady/Rogers etc.

He has a rocket arm and can get hot in the right system, with the right players, and coaching. Maybe if we had any WRs who could catch too- that would help. If he threw it to anyone other than Watson- the % of it being caught plummets drastically. 

I have always said Joe was not the worst QB by a long shot. But there is some QB's that can almost will themselves down the field but Joe is not one of them and never should have been a 100 million dollar QB. Brian proved you don't need the greatest QB to win with Dilfer. You need a whole team. Not just fill ins left over from other teams that may be here a year or two. 

Posted (edited)

delete

Edited by Evil Yoda

Posted (edited)

44 minutes ago, Balmerboh said:

After he threw that incomplete screen pass on the second to last drive, honest to God, the passing thought of Joe having some type of real brain trauma occurred to me.  That’s just not something that ANY 10th year QB with an intact brain would do (on top off about 150 other things Flacco has done in retrospect ).  

Whether the ramifications of the Kiko Alonso hit need to be looked at more closely, or there is something non-head related occurring, based on his display in total, I think it’s fair to wonder about Joe Flacco’s neurological health.  

Yeah, I guess Joe should have forced the pass into coverage. That way, it would have had a chance of being intercepted. Dan Fouts commented that it was a smart play because the receivers were blanketed. 

Edited by russsnyder

57 minutes ago, russsnyder said:

Yeah, I guess Joe should have forced the pass into coverage. That way, it would have had a chance of being intercepted. Dan Fouts commented that it was a smart play because the receivers were blanketed. 

A smart seasoned QB knows that with playoff ramifications you sprint out of the pocket and run towards the sideline and slide, keep the clock running. Joe just isn’t quick enough thinking in those situations. 

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Oldtime said:

A smart seasoned QB knows that with playoff ramifications you sprint out of the pocket and run towards the sideline and slide, keep the clock running. Joe just isn’t quick enough thinking in those situations. 

Don't most " seasoned"QB' s throw the ball into the ground on a busted screen? I can't recall a situation where a quarterback reacted in tyhe manner you describe. Joe should have foresaw the defense giving up the TD on the 4th and 12.The bottom line is blaming Joe for this loss because of this play is,a reach at best. 

Edited by russsnyder

4 minutes ago, russsnyder said:

Don't most " seasoned"QB' s throw the ball into the ground on a busted screen? I can't recall a situation where a quarterback reacted in tyhe manner you describe. Joe should have foresaw the defense giving up the TD on the 4th and 12.The bottom line is blaming Joe for this loss because of this play is,a reach at best. 

Sorry but It is just one example of Joe's work since he was given a 100 mil. 

An example of what? He didn't thhrow,a pick six to lose the game. Besides, what does his contract have to do with this? 

Tuck the ball and fall on the ground in the fetal position. Clock ticks on. 

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, finscreenname said:

Tuck the ball and fall on the ground in the fetal position. Clock ticks on. 

You forgot the part where Joe counts   his 100 million while he is in the fetal    position. Sorry, this loss is not on Joe,     the defense gave up the winning touchdown on a 4th and 12. 

Edited by russsnyder

27 minutes ago, russsnyder said:

Typically, but not in that situation. It’s called down and situation awareness, something Joe seems to forget.  I can guarantee that Brady, Breese, Rogers, and more would not have thrown the incomplete pass. 

Posted (edited)

I'll make this comparison, and I think it speaks a lot to the differences between systems...

2014 playoffs at N.E...  Joe is picked off in the endzone in the final minutes to seal the deal.  They needed a TD, and they hit the wall while throwing in to the endzone, needing a TD.  At the very least they were doing what they needed to TRY to do to win the game.

2017 pseudo-playoff...  needing a TD from far out in the final seconds, albeit a TALL order, their final drive starts with a short pass to speedless Ben Watson... and ends with a short pass WELL short of the marker, to a speedless Ben Watson. Here they fizzle out acting like they had 3 minutes left instead of 30 seconds.  NOT doing what they needed to TRY to do to win the game.

Edited by Ravens2006

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, Oldtime said:

Typically, but not in that situation. It’s called down and situation awareness, something Joe seems to forget.  I can guarantee that Brady, Breese, Rogers, and more would not have thrown the incomplete pass. 

Why wouldn't he throw the ball away with your primary target covered and pressure in your face? I think it showed good awareness of the situation. He could have fumbled as he was falling to the ground. Besides, I'll defer to Dan Fouts who called it the right play. That guy played at a high level. You can't guarantee that any ofthose other guys would have reacted differently in that situation. No one has given me an example of a QB that did something different.

Edited by russsnyder

6 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

I'll make this comparison, and I think it speaks a lot to the differences between systems...

2014 playoffs at N.E...  Joe is picked off in the endzone in the final minutes to seal the deal.  They needed a TD, and they hit the wall while throwing in to the endzone, needing a TD.

2017 pseudo-playoff...  needing a TD from far out in the final seconds, albeit a TALL order, their final drive starts with a short pass to speedless Ben Watson... and ends with a short pass WELL short of the marker, to a speedless Ben Watson.

Fair point, but the passes to Watson        on the last drive may be indicative of the lack of playmakers that the Ravens have on the offensive side of the ball. 

55 minutes ago, russsnyder said:

Why wouldn't he throw the ball away with your primary target covered and pressure in your face? I think it showed good awareness of the situation. He could have fumbled as he was falling to the ground. Besides, I'll defer to Dan Fouts who called it the right play. That guy played at a high level. You can't guarantee that any ofthose other guys would have reacted differently in that situation. No one has given me an example of a QB that did something different.

Even a sack would have been the better ply given the situation. You don’t stop the clock plain and simple. What don’t you understand about that?  

I understand the feeling about taking a sack to keep the clock running, but would it have mattered that much?  The clock would have stopped at the two minute warning.  Cincinnati scored with 45 seconds left.  It still comes back to the defense having to make a stop.  4th and 12 you have to make a stop.  Sack or no sack, the defense failed to make the stop that was needed.  Taking the sack would not have changed that.  

2 hours ago, Oldtime said:

I can almost guarantee you that Brady, Brees and Rodgers would have done something similar. What was paramount in that instance was not to turn the ball over, since it would have given Cincinnati the ball in Ravens' territory with only about 15 or 20 yards needed to attempt a field goal. A tie (not that such a result would necessarily have held in an overtime period) would have been just as good today for the Ravens as a win. As it was, the Ravens got exactly what they wanted when the Bengals took over on their own 10-yard line for that last drive.

Before that final drive, Cincinnati had run exactly 11 plays on three possessions in the second half for a net of 12 total yards and exactly one first down. Surely it would have been more important at that point to make the Bengals do something they hadn't been able to do for the entire second half--move the ball down the field. As for the timeout the Ravens didn't make them burn by throwing a pass away rather than taking a sack, well, to me that doesn't even rate an asterisk in the overall scheme of things.

Posted (edited)

43 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

I understand the feeling about taking a sack to keep the clock running, but would it have mattered that much?  The clock would have stopped at the two minute warning.  Cincinnati scored with 45 seconds left.  It still comes back to the defense having to make a stop.  4th and 12 you have to make a stop.  Sack or no sack, the defense failed to make the stop that was needed.  Taking the sack would not have changed that.  

I think Cincinnati used its final timeout to call that final touchdown play. I guess if one wants to split hairs, the argument could be made that they wouldn't have had that luxury if the Ravens had kept the clock moving when they had to give up the ball. But like you, I just don't see that one play as any kind of turning point. 

What bothers me about this "historic" defense is their inability to get pressure with just their front four. Other than the one sack by Judon, I don't recall them harassing Dalton all that much. That's not a winning recipe for postseason play since good quarterbacks typically pick apart defenses that have to rely on blitzing to get pressure. 

Edited by mdrunning

11 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

I think Cincinnati used its final timeout to call that final touchdown play. I guess if one wants to split hairs, the argument could be made that they wouldn't have had that luxury if the Ravens had kept the clock moving when they had to give up the ball. But like you, I just don't see that one play as any kind of turning point. 

What bothers me about this "historic" defense is their inability to get pressure with just their front four. Other than the one sack by Judon, I don't recall them harassing Dalton all that much. That's not a winning recipe for postseason play since good quarterbacks typically pick apart defenses that have to rely on blitzing to get pressure. 

On the TD they failed to get pressure on Dalton.  They had two guys coming from both sides, but nothing in the middle.  That allowed Dalton to step up, set, and deliver the pass.  The key to making Dalton miss is to get him out of the pocket.  He is terribly inaccurate if he has to make the throw on the run.  The Ravens allowed him to play to his strength by keeping him in the pocket and not having any pressure up the middle.  Dalton stepped up, negating the two rushers from the side and made a perfect throw to a wide open Boyd who found an opening in the zone.  Then they failed to tackle him and allowed him to get to the end zone.  It was terrible defense at a crucial moment.  They would have been better off calling an all out blitz and making Dalton throw the ball under pressure.