mdrunning

Black Monday Thread

97 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

And even IF all players on the roster remained miraculously healthy the entire season, they still would have lost at the end of the year because there is  no talent on the team with the possible exception of Wallace that pose a long ball threat. Other teams that enter the playoffs have up to 3WR's that can catch the long ball:  Eagles, Vikes, Falcons and yes Pitt- what do they all have in common? Guys they can go long to.

I disagree. I think this is totally different team if the O line injuries hadn't happened. You don't remove the top guard in the game and expect there to be no effect. Any O line with Hurst as a starter is a bad line. 

look at what the Raven's did at the end of yesterday's game: 44 secs on the clock and they throw a 8 yard pass to Watson in the hopes he can get out of bounds- really????

Just now, bmore_ken said:

I disagree. I think this is totally different team if the O line injuries hadn't happened. You don't remove the top guard in the game and expect there to be no effect. Any O line with Hurst as a starter is a bad line. 

who can catch the ball Ken? and when you run out of time, running plays aren't what's needed

1 minute ago, mdrunning said:

I'm inclined to agree, but I also believe Bisciotti's thoughts were a tad more sanguine before the kick-off of yesterday's game. 

Well if he had the opportunity to read the article in the Sun this past week about attendance and season sales. Then looked at all the purple in the stands .....and I don't mean customers wearing NFL gear....the seats.

Yes I know it was cold....but if you look at the previous games....more and more purple seats that are empty.

Ideally, you could fire the team and keep the coach....however the coach is the sacrificial lamb of .....'hey look ...we are doing something'. If one follows sports this is a very proven option.

3 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

look at what the Raven's did at the end of yesterday's game: 44 secs on the clock and they throw a 8 yard pass to Watson in the hopes he can get out of bounds- really????

I swear I almost threw my tv across the room on that play. To be honest though it kind of summed up what the offense was about all season with the exception of the last 4 weeks

20 minutes ago, poefolks said:

At this point Harbaugh isn't bringing that much to the table but stability, however, stability is very under rated imo. If we can surround harbaugh (or he can surround himself) with the right team- he can win. If not he will be gone after next year.

I have argued for stability on here for more than a decade, but think about this .....

Everyone admits Harbaugh isn't an x and o guy and is a terrible game manager .....

Supposedly his strength in organizational and leadership.....

But If you are not a sme and want to be a leader you have to surround yourself with good people. ....

All we seem to do every year is get rid of the people Harbaugh surrounds himself with .....

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

I swear I almost threw my tv across the room on that play. To be honest though it kind of summed up what the offense was about all season with the exception of the last 4 weeks

If you believe you have a QB (Joe) who can throw the ball long, then it stands to reason he needs players to throw long to.

Pittsburgh has Brown, Bryant and now Smith-Schuster.  With the Raven's just double team Wallace and that's that.  Raven's fans are then praying Chris Moore comes up big. But the 3 mentioned above, could be #1's on any other team

1 minute ago, Guido2 said:

Well if he had the opportunity to read the article in the Sun this past week about attendance and season sales. Then looked at all the purple in the stands .....and I don't mean customers wearing NFL gear....the seats.

Yes I know it was cold....but if you look at the previous games....more and more purple seats that are empty.

Ideally, you could fire the team and keep the coach....however the coach is the sacrificial lamb of .....'hey look ...we are doing something'. If one follows sports this is a very proven option.

You make some good points. To be clear, I was referring to Bisciotti's thoughts regarding Harbaugh, and not necessarily all of the other factors you've mentioned.

I think what Bisciotti needs to ask himself is are the Ravens becoming in the AFC North to Pittsburgh what the Bills, Dolphins and Jets are to the Patriots in the AFC East? If the answer is yes, then I agree that it might be difficult getting fannies into those unoccupied seats next season, cold weather or no.

8 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

And even IF all players on the roster remained miraculously healthy the entire season, they still would have lost at the end of the year because there is  no talent on the team with the possible exception of Wallace that pose a long ball threat. Other teams that enter the playoffs have up to 3WR's that can catch the long ball:  Eagles, Vikes, Falcons and yes Pitt- what do they all have in common? Guys they can go long to.

I think I said that earlier.....pretty much.

Just now, Guido2 said:

I think I said that earlier.....pretty much.

I'm sorry, I didn't see that post. 

6 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Agreed.

Sometimes I felt like it was not like the offense was trying to find a way to win...but rather a way to lose.

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

who can catch the ball Ken? 

Who's been catching it the last 4 weeks?

Against the Colts Watson had 5, Woodhead had 5, Boyle had 3

Against the Browns Watson had 4, Woodhead had 6, Collins had 5

There have been plenty of guys making catches

Edited by bmore_ken

1 minute ago, mikemor1 said:

I'm sorry, I didn't see that post. 

That's fine....just got your back

Just now, Guido2 said:

That's fine....just got your back

and I thank you!  :)

6 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

If you believe you have a QB (Joe) who can throw the ball long, then it stands to reason he needs players to throw long to.

Pittsburgh has Brown, Bryant and now Smith-Schuster.  With the Raven's just double team Wallace and that's that.  Raven's fans are then praying Chris Moore comes up big. But the 3 mentioned above, could be #1's on any other team

The problem with that statement is Flacco hasn't been all that accurate long this season.

Who's been catching it the last 4 weeks?

Against the Colts Watson had 5, Woodhead had 5, Boyle had 3

Against the Browns Watson had 4, Woodhead had 6, Collins had 5

There have been plenty of guys making catches

And how many got dropped yesterday? Yeah Flaco was far from shorp....but they were catchable.

And how is it....the Bengals receivers managed?

And how is it....when you watch other games.....you see receivers picking balls out of the sky with one hand ...over their head...two defenders....yet the Ravens.....totally wide open....and can't catch the damn ball.

The elements affect both teams....so that is not an excuse.

10 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

I don't think it's so much guys who can necessarily go long, but guys who can get open, and then catch the ball once they do. New England has made do without a true deep threat many times, yet they do just fine.

As I've said before, I think the biggest problem with the Ravens is the West Coast offense simply isn't geared for the personnel they have. In order for it to truly work, you need receivers who can run precise routes, and a quarterback who is accurate with the shorter throws and can decide quickly where he's going with the ball. The Ravens don't have either one. 

2 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

The problem with that statement is Flacco hasn't been all that accurate long this season.

I think he has to have another kid to stabilize him. :lol:

that's why I prefaced my statement with that "If you believe in the QB" part....

I see your list of receivers- 2 of them are RB's- oh yes and Pittsburgh also has Bell.

But who catches 20yd + passes and then gains extra yardage?  The only one I think even capable is Woodhead.

3 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

I don't think it's so much guys who can necessarily go long, but guys who can get open, and then catch the ball once they do. New England has made do without a true deep threat many times, yet they do just fine.

As I've said before, I think the biggest problem with the Ravens is the West Coast offense simply isn't geared for the personnel they have. In order for it to truly work, you need receivers who can run precise routes, and a quarterback who is accurate with the shorter throws and can decide quickly where he's going with the ball. The Ravens don't have either one. 

But you need weapons that at least pose a deep threat.  Unless you're Brady, dink and dunk doesn't win close games late in the 4th quarter.

2 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

There is no question that Joe has a cannon an accurate cannon going long.

But for that to be effective....he has to stay upright...with time....that means an offensive line.

And at the other end ....you need speed merchants THAT CAN CATCH the deep ball. The Ravins have neither.

So they either find possesion receivers that may not be fast but can get loose AND CATCH.

Or you get another QB that maynot have a cannon but is a precise passer. But then that long term contract thingy.

Dumbist thing they ever did.

2 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

But you need weapons that at least pose a deep threat.  Unless you're Brady, dink and dunk doesn't win close games late in the 4th quarter.

Yes but if you dink and dunk for the first 3....you don't have to worry about the last one. :)

Just now, mikemor1 said:

I think a tight end who is an actual threat would go a long way to solving the problem. Ben Watson is still a reliable receiver, but he's also 37 and was coming off an Achilles injury the prior year. He shouldn't be the primary pass-catching option from that position at this stage of his career. The Ravens' tight ends are all pretty much the same guy since they all lack speed to outrun linebackers in coverage. Boyle, Williams and Gillmore (who can't stay healthy) aren't guys you have to scheme for since none are vertical threats.

I have been reading all your ensights and view and all are very good. Including consistancy in coaching (team stategy).

I dunno about you all....but lately with the Ravens....I feel like I am watching Moses leading the Jews. Don't really know what is going to happen talent wise or team wise.....but they wander around ....hoping for a miracle. We as fan's hear this that...this is going to be the next (pick hall of fame player) and half the time they are riding the bench.

Very frustrating.

Just now, mdrunning said:

I think a tight end who is an actual threat would go a long way to solving the problem. Ben Watson is still a reliable receiver, but he's also 37 and was coming off an Achilles injury the prior year. He shouldn't be the primary pass-catching option from that position at this stage of his career. The Ravens' tight ends are all pretty much the same guy since they all lack speed to outrun linebackers in coverage. Boyle, Williams and Gillmore (who can't stay healthy) aren't guys you have to scheme for since none are vertical threats.

I totally agree- I'm not only hoping they draft 2WR's but another TE not like Boyle or Williams.