mdrunning

Black Monday Thread

97 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

As a Giants vet I want a veteran coach but NO Josh McDaniels. Any guy who would trade FOR Tebow lacks football judgment. 

Jim Schwartz, Todd Haley, John Fox, Tom Coughlin I would be OK with.  IMO if the Giants hire an offense guy Eli is toast. 

When Schwartz was HC at Detroit, I thought the team was pretty undisciplined. They need someone who can reign in OBJ- his sideline antics are becoming a major distraction no matter how good a player he is.

And I doubt Coughlin would return-he may even try to coax Eli to come to Jax.

5 hours ago, alienrace said:

The Ravens were one of the best scoring teams the second half of the season. The defense lost the game yesterday.

Just saying. 

Seriously though, had this team stayed healthy, they would be in the playoffs.  I don't know how anyone could disagree with that.

Same can be said of a lot of teams, all teams have injuries .....

If the injuries are the only reason this team underachieved, again, then why fire or want to fire the coordinators .....

I'll ask again, since Harbaugh is not an x and o guy and has terrible game management skills then what does he bring to the table ? .....

If you say leadership then why does he always surround himself with poor coordinators except one year with kubiak.....

Seriously, what does he add that's not replaceable or improveable? ....

If we have to go get a dream team of coordinators to compete, why do we need him and his deer in the headlight game day sideline look .....

1 hour ago, mikemor1 said:

When Schwartz was HC at Detroit, I thought the team was pretty undisciplined. They need someone who can reign in OBJ- his sideline antics are becoming a major distraction no matter how good a player he is.

And I doubt Coughlin would return-he may even try to coax Eli to come to Jax.

That is if OBJ is still with the team....

If you can trade him for some #1 and 2's I would do it. The Giants history has NEVER been about big time WR's. Manningham, Nicks and Cruz were good in 2012 but all 3 are out of the league now. 

27 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

That is if OBJ is still with the team....

If you can trade him for some #1 and 2's I would do it. The Giants history has NEVER been about big time WR's. Manningham, Nicks and Cruz were good in 2012 but all 3 are out of the league now. 

OBJ is not their style

9 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

Ariens has pulled the pin.

According to Ian Rapoport, the Cardinals have asked the Steelers for permission to speak with OL coach Mike Munchak. 

Green Bay GM Ted Thompson will "transition" to a new role in the organization. Green Bay won 125 regular season games, six NFC North Division titles, 10 playoff games and one Super Bowl during Thompson's 13 years as GM. 

From Ian Rapoport:

Sources:

#Packers GM Ted Thompson is expected to transition into a new role within the organization. The team will begin a search for a new GM. Bombshell.

And from NFL.com:

While Thompson sometimes frustrated Packersfans by mostly eschewing free agency and relying on homegrown talent, there were few personnel men with better track records. Left tackle David Bahktiari, defensive tackle Mike Daniels and linebacker Clay Matthews are among Thompson's best picks. (Thompson has been especially good drafting wideouts, with Greg Jennings, Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson and Davante Adams all taken after the first round.)

A search for a new GM will begin immediately, with several in-house candidates reportedly under consideration. The front office will go through a reorganization with team president Mark Murphy defining new roles for current members of front office, per league and team sources. The team also parted ways with defensive coordinator Dom Capers on Monday. 

16 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Agreed

If you think about it Billeck was the same. What was he prior to being a coach? Wasn't it a front office job in football?

Think about both guys pre and after game pep talks. Almost mirror images...nothing about the x's and o's.

Except Harbaugh had way more football experience with the Eagles....might explain why the special teams for the most part are so good.

Am I right or am I right.

15 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Same can be said of a lot of teams, all teams have injuries .....

If the injuries are the only reason this team underachieved, again, then why fire or want to fire the coordinators .....

I'll ask again, since Harbaugh is not an x and o guy and has terrible game management skills then what does he bring to the table ? .....

If you say leadership then why does he always surround himself with poor coordinators except one year with kubiak.....

Seriously, what does he add that's not replaceable or improveable? ....

If we have to go get a dream team of coordinators to compete, why do we need him and his deer in the headlight game day sideline look .....

Unlike groupings of atheletes such as pitchers and running backs where you can do it by committee....so to speak.... that is impossible from a coaching aspects....someone has to be pointman.

If you look at the really successful coaches over the years...if they are strong in offense...the team is....defense the team is....special teams....like ours is....well ...Harbough...

There you have it. ALL people be they coaches or Joe Six pack....work/play to their strengths. Unfortunately, 3 points here or 3 points there may win games.....or great cover or punt placement can to......bottom line if you score a LOT of points that means the other team has to SCORE A LOT OF POINTS.  Final total is all that counts.

IMO.

35 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

If you think about it Billeck was the same. What was he prior to being a coach? Wasn't it a front office job in football?

Think about both guys pre and after game pep talks. Almost mirror images...nothing about the x's and o's.

Except Harbaugh had way more football experience with the Eagles....might explain why the special teams for the most part are so good.

Am I right or am I right.

Assuming you're talking about Brian Billick... he was a college player, VERY briefly an NFL player, a college coach, briefly an NFL office job, then a college coach again, then an NFL coach, and then an NFL offensive coordinator.  While an OC in Minnesota his offense set an NFL points scoring record.  As a HC here, whenever he managed to get remotely decent QB play, his teams won a lot of games (and didn't throw away a lot of leads, not at the pace Harbs has managed to do).  

5 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

Assuming you're talking about Brian Billick... he was a college player, VERY briefly an NFL player, a college coach, briefly an NFL office job, then a college coach again, then an NFL coach, and then an NFL offensive coordinator.  While an OC in Minnesota his offense set an NFL points scoring record.  As a HC here, whenever he managed to get remotely decent QB play, his teams won a lot of games (and didn't throw away a lot of leads, not at the pace Harbs has managed to do).  

Yes Brian.

Thanks for the info.....I guess the front office thing just stuck in my head as the only thing he did.  But your points verify my suspicion, the team generally goes with plays to,  the strength the HC has. As you stated w/ Minn....even with average QBs he did well....and knew how to manage the offensive ball well enough to keep the other team from taking back the lead. Even with less than top notch Offensive players.

Excellent observation on your part.

On 1/1/2018 at 11:33 AM, Eastside Terp said:

Need to add Harbaugh to that list.....

And Flacco!

59 minutes ago, ericpd said:

And Flacco!

Well...whether you're right or wrong, Joe is going to be here awhile. 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

Didn't he have Moss and Carter in Minny?

Edited by bmore_ken

53 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Didn't he have Moss and Carter in Minny?

And Robert Smith. And Randall Cunningham. 

Posted (edited)

Jon Gruden is returning to coach the Raiders.

Per ESPN

The Oakland/Vegas job has some pretty nice upside. For starters, there's a franchise quarterback in place with Derek Carr, although there are some concerns about his numerous injuries and the fact that he seemed to go backwards a bit this season. Still, it isn't a huge negative, and given the fact that the Raiders' core is still young and the team is in a good situation cap-wise make it an attractive gig. Plus, those digs in Vegas once the Raiders get there figure to be pretty sweet as well.

Also, the Giants will interview Patriots' offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels as well as well as defensive coordinator Matt Patricia. One of them has to come back empty-handed. The interviews will take place this week while the Patriots are on a bye.

Whoever gets the Giants' job will probably have a bit of a honeymoon period since new GM Dave Gettleman seems poised to blow up the entire roster. Lots of higher-priced, under-achieving veterans will likely be jettisoned. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Eli Manning and Odell Beckham, Jr. Manning has been the face of the franchise for over a decade, but he's also 37 and in decline. Beckham is coming up on the last year of his rookie deal and is likely looking to land a big pay day.

Edited by mdrunning

12 hours ago, weird-O said:

Unfortunately, I do believe you are right!

On 1/2/2018 at 0:52 PM, weird-O said:

12 hours ago, ericpd said:

Unfortunately, I do believe you are right!

At least until next year. 2019 will be the decision year on him.

29 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

At least until next year. 2019 will be the decision year on him.

My guess is they'll extend him before that, and lower his cap hit.  2019 will be his 13th year with the team and league, and he'll be on the wrong side of 35, so the salary is going to be significantly lower I would think.  It will depend on the year he has in 2018, and on him - it would not surprise me to see him retire and focus on his family. 

All the more reason to think about taking a QB high if the opportunity presents itself to get a true successor, because next year they absolutely have to.

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, alienrace said:

My guess is they'll extend him before that, and lower his cap hit.  2019 will be his 13th year with the team and league, and he'll be on the wrong side of 35, so the salary is going to be significantly lower I would think.  It will depend on the year he has in 2018, and on him - it would not surprise me to see him retire and focus on his family. 

All the more reason to think about taking a QB high if the opportunity presents itself to get a true successor, because next year they absolutely have to.

I don't think the Ravens would want to put themselves on the hook cap-wise with another extension since the bonus money from his last extension will have been fully accounted for by 2020. Flacco's current deal is structured in a much flatter manner than the old one (which is why the Ravens had to re-do it). The Ravens should be able to avoid revisiting Flacco's contract again before it comes to full term.

According to figures just released, unfortunately, the Ravens are going to have to get very creative right now in order to do what's necessary to put together their 2018 roster. Their cap commitments, when compared to the team's adjusted cap, currently leave them with just over $6 million in available cap space. Granted, that's typically a worst-case scenario, and is done before the Ravens make any roster moves. It clearly indicates, however, that they have a lot of work to do.

I'd guess that they'll try and work out an extension with Mosley, since he'll be playing next season under his fifth-year option, which will raise his salary and cap number significantly. They also have to decide whether or not it would be fiscally prudent to try and bring back Ryan Jensen, who is an unrestricted free agent.

Edited by mdrunning

Posted (edited)

I foresee some veteran cap cuts coming . If there was ever a year when Oz needs to hit a home run in the draft this is it.

Edited by bmore_ken

4 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I foresee some veteran cap cuts coming . If there was ever a year when Oz needs to hit a home run in the draft this is it.

I actually like the 4 round mock draft on Ebony Bird.