Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Woodbuchr

Speaker Busch shows his arrogance once again

20 posts in this topic

Speaker Busch has now suggested relieving a member of the Executive Branch, in this case Comptroller Franchot, of some of his duties because he had the temerity and audacity to criticize legislation that the legislature passed last session.

http://www.wbal.com/article/285158/3/legislative-battle-brewing-between-franchot-lawmakers-over-beer

Quote

Busch has also suggested relieving Franchot of his power to to enforce liquor laws, since Franchot criticized a craft beer bill that lawmakers approved this year.

How dare the Comptroller criticize Speaker Busch's domain. 

I always liked Mr. Franchot and now I like him even more. If more people stood up to Speaker Busch and Senate President Miller maybe Maryland would be a better place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Woodbuchr said:

I always liked Mr. Franchot and now I like him even more. If more people stood up to Speaker Busch and Senate President Miller maybe Maryland would be a better place.

I agree 100%! What a petty petulant little man 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Franchot rocks and is one of the few dems in leadership roles in this state that is worth a crap.

 

He is the best thing to happen for Hogan I will say that. He would be having a hell of a time if he had to deal with the two worthless Mike's without him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Busch is an idiot. Franchot is every Republicans favorite Democrat. And a lot more dems inn MD like Franchot than Busch. Busch is too stupid to realize that Franchot being SILENT during the general election in 2018 only helps Hogan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Busch and Miller also gave us activist AG Brian Frosh, who has wasted who knows how much Maryland money challenging Trump and other non-Maryland cases. God help us if Frosh is ever elected Governor; he'd make Phony O'Baloney look like a piker.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike and Mike are Maryland's version of 'Boss Tweed' in stereo.

Unfortunately, their idiot constituents keep voting them in and the rest of MD suffers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Politics is all about power. Doesn't matter if it's a liberal or conservative, Rep or Dem; if they see a chance to increase their power, they'll take it. A good example is  North Carolina's lopsidedly-Republican legislature passing a bunch of laws to reduce the governor's power, enacted during the lame-duck period following the election of a Democratic governor, and signed by the outgoing Republican governor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, regularguy said:

Politics is all about power. Doesn't matter if it's a liberal or conservative, Rep or Dem; if they see a chance to increase their power, they'll take it. A good example is  North Carolina's lopsidedly-Republican legislature passing a bunch of laws to reduce the governor's power, enacted during the lame-duck period following the election of a Democratic governor, and signed by the outgoing Republican governor.

Silly me..... I thought it was about representing the wishes of the populace and moving the state forward in a productive fashion.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Silly me..... I thought it was about representing the wishes of the populace and moving the state forward in a productive fashion.

:lol:

You're right; it is. That's why elected officials want more power to represent (as they see it) the wishes of the populace and move the state forward in a productive fashion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, regularguy said:

You're right; it is. That's why elected officials want more power to represent (as they see it) the wishes of the populace and move the state forward in a productive fashion.

IMO, there is a difference between representing the wishes of your constituents as you see it and the plain arrogance of threatening an elected member of the Executive Branch with a reduction of his authorities just because he had the audacity to complain about legislation your body passed. So I guess in Speaker Busch's mind it's okay for him to threaten a fellow elected official but it's not okay for that official to use his right of free speech and complain about what he feels are not good bills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only solution to the two Mikes (unfortunately) is that they ultimately will either become so old and infirm that they are unable to get to Annapolis, or they will die in office. Their constituents are going to keep sending them back until they simply can't function. I fully expect to see one or both of them attending the General Assembly sessions in wheelchairs at some point. They are poster boys for term limits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Papi said:

The only solution to the two Mikes (unfortunately) is that they ultimately will either become so old and infirm that they are unable to get to Annapolis, or they will die in office. Their constituents are going to keep sending them back until they simply can't function. I fully expect to see one or both of them attending the General Assembly sessions in wheelchairs at some point. They are poster boys for term limits. 

Don't think it couldn't happen. During my time in Annapolis I have seen more than a few legislators in wheelchairs. Some on the Scooter-Go_Round type of machine.

The problem is that when the public sees a legislator that "needs to go" they all want the other guy's legislator to go but are never willing to vote their own out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Woodbuchr said:

Don't think it couldn't happen. During my time in Annapolis I have seen more than a few legislators in wheelchairs. Some on the Scooter-Go_Round type of machine.

The problem is that when the public sees a legislator that "needs to go" they all want the other guy's legislator to go but are never willing to vote their own out.

As long as theirs is in a position of power you don't cut off your way to the goodies .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the topic. Part of the problem is the bill. It's a bad bill. Why are craft brewers limited in the amount of beer they can sell on site? Why, after selling so many barrels, do they have to buy THEIR OWN BEER back from a distributor so that they can sell it on site? Makes absolutely no sense . . . unless you're a distributor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 0:42 PM, Guido2 said:

Silly me..... I thought it was about representing the wishes of the populace and moving the state forward in a productive fashion.

:lol:

There are actually several theories of what it means to be a representative of the people. One says, as Guido says, that the representative is to represent the wishes of his constituency. At the other end of the spectrum, the representative is the person who knows what is best for the people he represents (I believe this is referred to as the "Enlightened Representive"). There are, as I remember, 2 other theories, somewhere in between the two extremes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XJLR said:

Back to the topic. Part of the problem is the bill. It's a bad bill. Why are craft brewers limited in the amount of beer they can sell on site? Why, after selling so many barrels, do they have to buy THEIR OWN BEER back from a distributor so that they can sell it on site? Makes absolutely no sense . . . unless you're a distributor. 

There was a good article this past week in the Sun about this. I loved it.....the distributors are against it for reasons of public 'safety'....HHAHAHHAHAHAH.  Oh yeah....a few mini-breweries are doing to add SOOOOOOOO much beer to the system and soooooooo much the increase to impared drivers. :lol: No difference in my mind.....just the same drunks drunk on better beer. :lol:

Yah sure.....safety.....of their bank accounts. The system as it is ...is a guaranteed revenue stream...that they and laws control.

It is all about making sure there is no competition.....nothing more nothing less. IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XJLR said:

There are actually several theories of what it means to be a representative of the people. One says, as Guido says, that the representative is to represent the wishes of his constituency. At the other end of the spectrum, the representative is the person who knows what is best for the people he represents (I believe this is referred to as the "Enlightened Representive"). There are, as I remember, 2 other theories, somewhere in between the two extremes.

I have no real problem with ones rep....trying to bring home the bacon to there constiuency. I do have a problem when you have the likes of Mike and Mike....manipulating and controlling THE OTHER REPS....to the detrement of the other districts and to M&Ms and the parties BENEFIT.

I mean ....look at gambling.....bad bad bad when Ehrlich was in office.....good good good when MOM was in charge. On the flip side THE RED LINE....MOM's in office good good good .....GREAT IDEA.....LETS STUDY IT.....HERE'S THE PLANS .....good good good.

Buuuuuuutttttttt geee MOM etc  will have to come up with the cash and the hit when it turns into a boondoggle......stall stall stall.

Oppppsssss HURRAY....Hogan gets elected.....HORRAY...it is canceled......bad bad bad....Hogan.

MD politics is like a 101 college class on how the one party systems doesn't work and is so screwed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's called "Partisan Politics," Guido. Look at DC. The ACA passed and then Republicans spent 7 years trying to repeal it. Found out this year that it's not so easy to do so. I think most of us were even more surprised to learn that, after 7 years, they still had no plan of their own.

And it's not just Maryland. Look at North Carolina, for example.. As someone said above, it's about power -- not only individually, but for the party too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no doubt about it being Partisan Politics. Many states have it.....and I wager other states have a more balanced system....THAT ACTUALLY SERVES the community not the party or a given power base.

Personally I like to believe if M&M were gone .....I think there would be a lot more bi-partisan activity on behalf of the people of the state.

But I'm an optimist. ;):rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0