Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

While you were sleeping..,.

23 posts in this topic

over the last week the Trump administration did the following, which suggests we can look forward to three more year during which most if not all of America's potential for human progress is likely to be wasted

1. Overturning key regulations on fracking

2. Weakening the rules that were designed to prevent another Deepwater Horizon spill

3. Declaring open season on migratory birds

4. Reinstating mining leases for Ivanka Trump’s landlord

5. Letting nursing homes off the hook when patients suffer in their care

6. Civil servants may not get a bonus because the rich got a tax cut

7. Undercutting enforcement by waging a war of attrition against the bureaucracy

8. Reneging on a federal commitment to fund a major infrastructure project

9. Firing all the members of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS

10. Maneuvering behind the scenes to “sabotage” the Census

The sky is falling. Oh no!

Good to see that the DNC’s Public Affairs Office is still publishing.

Isn't school back in session?

18 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Counting down the days til the 2018 Midterms

And got in numerous rounds of golf. A busy bee

Posted (edited)

I wonder every day.....when...'the people' wake up....and start ejecting the GOPmarchy....and then when the Dems/libs are i power...they flip the enitire GOP platform.....and get rid off everyting 'Trump'.

Titt for tatt..................what goes around comes around.

Meanwhile I am burying my guns. :lol:

Hope the 1%ers will be able to survive on a 50% tax charge. No exemptions no this or that. Pretty much what the GOP is doing to the poor and middle class.

Turn about is fair play. IMO

Edited by Guido2

2 minutes ago, Struds said:

And got in numerous rounds of golf. A busy bee

He certainly is eclipsing the number of rounds of played by Obama and has spent over 42 million doing it.  Another Trump triumph over the former president.  

http://trumpgolfcount.com/#services

48 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Which of the points made in the post fall into the category of political propaganda as opposed to simple facts?

29 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

Which of the points made in the post fall into the category of political propaganda as opposed to simple facts?

#3 and #5 sound like gross exaggerations on the surface. Are they factually true?

23 minutes ago, Struds said:

#3 and #5 sound like gross exaggerations on the surface. Are they factually true?

Somewhat, from the Washington Post

#3 - "the Interior Department quietly rolled back an Obama-era policy aimed at protecting migratory birds by announcing that oil, gas, wind and solar operators who accidentally kill birds will no longer be prosecuted."

#5 - “The Trump administration — reversing guidelines put in place under [Obama] — is scaling back the use of fines against nursing homes that harm residents or place them in grave risk of injury,” 

27 minutes ago, Struds said:

“The Trump administration — reversing guidelines put in place under [Obama] — is scaling back the use of fines against nursing homes that harm residents or place them in grave risk of injury,” Jordan Rau of Kaiser Health News reported on Christmas Eve. “The shift in the Medicare program’s penalty protocols was requested by the nursing home industry. … The new guidelines discourage regulators from levying fines in some situations, even when they have resulted in a resident’s death. The guidelines will also probably result in lower fines for many facilities. … ‘They’ve pretty much emasculated enforcement, which was already weak,’ said Toby Edelman, a senior attorney at the Center for Medicare Advocacy.”

This is just the latest example of the Trump team taking the side of business over the elderly: “In November, the Trump administration exempted nursing homes that violate eight new safety rules from penalties for 18 months,” Rau notes. “In June, CMS rescinded another Obama administration action that banned nursing homes from pre-emptively requiring residents to submit to arbitration to settle disputes rather than going to court.”

from the op

3 minutes ago, EGoldstein said:

Somewhat, from the Washington Post

#3 - "the Interior Department quietly rolled back an Obama-era policy aimed at protecting migratory birds by announcing that oil, gas, wind and solar operators who accidentally kill birds will no longer be prosecuted."

#5 - “The Trump administration — reversing guidelines put in place under [Obama] — is scaling back the use of fines against nursing homes that harm residents or place them in grave risk of injury,” 

So no "open season" declaration, and a "scaling back"  of fines vs some sort of amnesty suggested by the phrase "letting nursing homes off the hook". 

Your use of somewhat is far more accurate than accepting the OP points as "simple facts" as joy suggested. 

7 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

from the op

It's a discouraging trend. On that, I have no argument.

2 minutes ago, Struds said:

So no "open season" declaration, and a "scaling back"  of fines vs some sort of amnesty suggested by the phrase "letting nursing homes off the hook". 

Your use of somewhat is far more accurate than accepting the OP points as "simple facts" as joy suggested. 

If you're telling me that I don't have to pay fines for negligent behavior aren't you letting me off the hook?

And again... why is Trump yet again siding with corporations over the Trump chumps who voted him into office? I thought he was going to drain the swamp?

Just now, JoyinMudville said:

If you're telling me that I don't have to pay fines for negligent behavior aren't you letting me off the hook?

And again... why is Trump yet again siding with corporations over the Trump chumps who voted him into office? I thought he was going to drain the swamp?

The swamp was drained and refilled.  DC is no longer a swamp, it's now a cesspool.  

6 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

Didn't it say 8 new safety rules for 18 months? Sounds like a grace period, not absolution. Not so simple facts after all, huh?

6 minutes ago, Struds said:

Didn't it say 8 new safety rules for 18 months? Sounds like a grace period, not absolution. Not so simple facts after all, huh?

I guess not, unless your parents or grand parents are in a nursing home. But hey, those big nursing home companies shouldn't be held accountable for mistreating their patients. They really need a break.

2 hours ago, workerbee said:

Isn't school back in session?

Posted during lunch break I guess

49 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

from the op

Having had elderly relatives in nursing homes and also having had experience in overseeing long term care for the elderly, I can see both sides of this argument with some degree of objectivity. There are situations in nursing homes that result in injury and death that are unavoidable. The governent says that patients cannot be restrained. If my father had been allowed to be restrained he would not have fallen twice in a two week span because he insisted (in his dementia) to trying to use the toilet unassisted, breaking his wrist the first time and his hip the second time. What we do to try to preserve the "independence" of elderly folks in long term care facilities puts them at risk, and then the facilities which are REQUIRED to let the old folks be "independent" hurt themselves (and sometimes hurt other residents in the process) get sued, or accused of abuse, or have their licenses revoked. That's just wrong.  Relaxing the penalties on facilities that do the very best they can under impossible requirements makes sense. Mistreatment of elderly residents of long term care facilities is a totally differerent issue. Knowing the difference is based on having lived it. And understanding it.