Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NCBirdfan

Marvin Lewis signs Extension

15 posts in this topic

I think this whole business was as much about control as wins and losses. Lewis already has a lot of say regarding personnel decisions, and I'm guessing this was a power struggle more than anything else. Whatever it was Marvin wanted, it appears he received, at least to a certain degree.

I guess the bar for success in Cincy is a first round playoff loss since that's been the best of the Lewis era.

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

I guess the bar for success in Cincy is a first round playoff loss since that's been the best of the Lewis era.

This has been my opinion for quite awhile. 

Cincy fans are not very happy with this. One comment I read was Marvin should announce at the beginning of the season he is leaving so the team will play hard all season.

Generally speaking, he is a good coach. I am unsure if any potential replacement was an upgrade. It’s a pretty bare coaching market. That’s probably what is saving Harbs. 

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, Manny said:

Generally speaking, he is a good coach. I am unsure if any potential replacement was an upgrade. It’s a pretty bare coaching market. That’s probably what is saving Harbs. 

Lots of new openings, so the pool will be watered down.

I think there is a benefit to consistency, but on the other hand, there is a benefit to a new voice in the locker room.

I don't know what the Bengals need but aside from his failure in the playoffs, and the Bengals have had some really bad luck in that regard, he's done a great job for that organization. Think about what they've accomplished during his time there, at least in the reg season, compared to what that organization had done since the 1989 Super Bowl, which was absolutely nothing.

Edited by Pickle20

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

I think there is a benefit to consistency, but on the other hand, there is a benefit to a new voice in the locker room.

I don't know what the Bengals need but aside from his failure in the playoffs, and the Bengals have had some really bad luck in that regard, he's done a great job for that organization. Think about what they've accomplished during his time there, at least in the reg season, compared to what that organization had done since the 1989 Super Bowl, which was absolutely nothing.

The Bengals are 0-7 under Lewis in the playoffs but the Bills are 0-0 during the same time frame. They probably need a "new voice" but Brown couldn't pull the trigger 

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Agreed 

Everyone seems to use the 0-7 playoff record as a reason to move on without realizing that getting to the playoffs especially out of tje AFCN is pretty damn difficult 

33 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Agreed 

Everyone seems to use the 0-7 playoff record as a reason to move on without realizing that getting to the playoffs especially out of tje AFCN is pretty damn difficult 

Only for the Browns. The Ravens and Steelers don't seem to have difficulty with it. Over the course of Marv's tenure in Cincy, both teams have gone deep into the playoffs, multiple times. They collectively have 4 SB appearances, resulting in 3 trophies. They also have 4 more AFC championship game appearances between them. And then there's the random other WC and Divisional wins they both have. 

I'm psyched that he'll be there for 2 more years. Along with the Browns, I say, keep on doin' whatchu doin'  

3 hours ago, weird-O said:

Only for the Browns. The Ravens and Steelers don't seem to have difficulty with it. Over the course of Marv's tenure in Cincy, both teams have gone deep into the playoffs, multiple times. They collectively have 4 SB appearances, resulting in 3 trophies. They also have 4 more AFC championship game appearances between them. And then there's the random other WC and Divisional wins they both have. 

I'm psyched that he'll be there for 2 more years. Along with the Browns, I say, keep on doin' whatchu doin'  

Wait the Browns are in the NFL 

15 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Wait the Browns are in the NFL 

LOL, this caught me off guard :D

They could swap DC's with the Raiders. Theirs want to coach with Chuckie  and Del Rio could head to Cincy. It would be the best for Mike Brown. Del Rio got a contract extension last year so the Raiders will pay his salary. Save's the cheapskate Brown money.