Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jtowne-swim

High tax states strike back.

188 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, RileyMartin said:

Great idea if you want starve poor children to death.

I think you are confused...the repugnican tax plan already does this.....just wait until ryan gets his wet dream of cutting medicaid, food stamps, and other parts of the safety net....

you'll be positively giddy....

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, can you hear me now! said:

I think you are confused...the repugnican tax plan already does this.....just wait until ryan gets his wet dream of cutting medicaid, food stamps, and other parts of the safety net....

So the new tax plan is a hand out to the wealth and draconian for the wealthy at the same time...make up your mind Caitlyn.

Edited by RileyMartin

the tax plan is anything but draconian for the 1%..it is a tax plan aimed at punishing blue states....this tax plan has more loopholes than ever...kudos to states where their leadership is able to mitigate the punishment....

the biggest indication of how skewed this tax plan is can be found in how the new child tax credits work...

The credit is limited if your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is above a certain amount. The amount at which this phase-out begins varies depending on your filing status. For married taxpayers filing a joint return, the phase-out begins at $400,000 and it is $200,000 for all other taxpayers (note there is no separate threshold for HOH). Phase-outs means that the credit is reduced as your income increases. In this case, the reduction is $50 for each $1,000 by which your MAGI exceeds the threshold amount.

in plain english, people making 400K get more of the credit than those making 50K...makes sense....your intellectual dishonesty is duly noted....

I don't think playing games like calling taxes paid to the state 'charity' (and thus deductible) is an acceptable solution.

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I don't think playing games like calling taxes paid to the state 'charity' (and thus deductible) is an acceptable solution.

I would have to disagree given the large number of tax accounts and tax lawyers who work on behalf of the rich to employ numerous tax avoidance schemes. What is wrong with Governor's doing the same for those who can't afford to hire people to develop creative solutions to lower their tax bills?

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I don’t think trying to start a nuclear war over Twitter is acceptable 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, can you hear me now! said:

the tax plan is anything but draconian for the 1%..it is a tax plan aimed at punishing blue states....this tax plan has more loopholes than ever...kudos to states where their leadership is able to mitigate the punishment....

the biggest indication of how skewed this tax plan is can be found in how the new child tax credits work...

The credit is limited if your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is above a certain amount. The amount at which this phase-out begins varies depending on your filing status. For married taxpayers filing a joint return, the phase-out begins at $400,000 and it is $200,000 for all other taxpayers (note there is no separate threshold for HOH). Phase-outs means that the credit is reduced as your income increases. In this case, the reduction is $50 for each $1,000 by which your MAGI exceeds the threshold amount.

in plain english, people making 400K get more of the credit than those making 50K...makes sense....your intellectual dishonesty is duly noted....

The biggest indication of this helps those that do pay taxes is the increase in the standard deduction which will benefit someone making 50k much more than someone making 400k..your intellectual dishonesty is duly, duly noted.

Edited by RileyMartin

7 hours ago, can you hear me now! said:

Folks have been leaving Connecticut for several years now due to high taxes. 

Posted (edited)

59 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

yep...just like people leave low wage areas (pick any red state) to find better paying jobs....or leave places devastated by natural disasters....for example, lots of people who were relocated from New Orleans after Katrina to places like Houston and San Antonio never went back...I am sure you've noticed there's been a migration from Puerto Rico to the mainland US...do you think many of them are coming back? Not likely given the lingering infrastructure problems and the new tax laws that treat PR as if it weren't part of the US...

of course the difference here is the state tax laws are not written to punish a specific set of political rivals...

on a happier note...it is good to see you are back with us....

Edited by can you hear me now!

9 hours ago, RileyMartin said:

Great idea if you want starve poor children to death.

Tell me about it.

"Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), founder of the House Freedom Caucus, told HuffPost on Tuesday that the influential bloc of conservative Republicans will push for “welfare reform” legislation next year that would add new restrictions on Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits.

“That’s what’s coming,” Jordan said, adding that President Donald Trump and House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) support the idea. ”It’s got huge support. We just need to get it done next year.”

He said the basic idea would be new restrictions on able-bodied adults ― even if they have children ― along the lines of a bill he introduced earlier this year. Robert Rector, a welfare expert with the conservative Heritage Foundation, said Jordan’s bill would cut SNAP spending by 20 percent over 10 years, which would amount to more than $100 billion."

Link

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, can you hear me now! said:

yep...just like people leave low wage areas (pick any red state) to find better paying jobs....or leave places devastated by natural disasters....for example, lots of people who were relocated from New Orleans after Katrina to places like Houston and San Antonio never went back...I am sure you've noticed there's been a migration from Puerto Rico to the mainland US...do you think many of them are coming back? Not likely given the lingering infrastructure problems and the new tax laws that treat PR as if it weren't part of the US...

of course the difference here is the state tax laws are not written to punish a specific set of political rivals...

on a happier note...it is good to see you are back with us....

I thought this thread was about paying higher taxes? Folks aren't leaving PR due to high taxes. We don't pay a personal income federal tax, but we do pay into Medicare/SS.

Edited by flyboy56

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

I thought your thread was about paying higher taxes?

it is, however it is a thread about the new federal tax structure and how some states are working to mitigate the intentional targeting of those states that didn't vote for the giant orange snowflake....you brought up people leaving Conn....people leaving areas to seek better is not new, nor is it unusual...having them decide to move because the giant orange snowflake feels the need for revenge is unprecedented in the history of this country...

Edited by can you hear me now!

So high tax states are doing me a favor by trying to avoid the burden on the state and keeping the burden on the taxpayer.   

Why is this a good idea?

36 minutes ago, jdsample said:

They could always lower their state taxes, but I guess that out of the question.  

Now you’re just being silly 😜 

12 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Now you’re just being silly 😜 

The state must come first with the cold winds of youknowwho™.

5 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

Link? Where do they go? 

1 hour ago, jdsample said:

They could always lower their state taxes, but I guess that out of the question.  

Which means cutting services!

39 minutes ago, jtowne-swim said:

Which means cutting services!

God help the people of Florida and Texas.  Apparently they get no services?  Maybe they should move to NY?  

14 minutes ago, jdsample said:

God help the people of Florida and Texas.  Apparently they get no services?  Maybe they should move to NY?  

Fortunately Texas didn't waste money on things like flood control.

4 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Fortunately Texas didn't waste money on things like flood control.

Having lived in Texas, I assure you that you are misinformed.  There are about 200 reservoirs in Texas.  I have heard there are no actual natural lakes in the state.  All are man-made.  

6 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

And MD.

14 hours ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

JJ it is a game.....what ever works works.

Now here in MD.....they are consdiering all these things. But duhhhhh the simpilist is to disconnect the ability to itemize you state tax from the federal mandate.

What is so hard about that. Take the Federal standard deduction.....allow the state tax payers to itemize.

On problem.....that would take guts on the GAs part and also likely would end up as less money for the DEM GA to give away on 'pet projects'.

Got no numbers.....just pure speculation regarding the money.