Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jtowne-swim

High tax states strike back.

188 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, EGoldstein said:

Correction, that is the new system, the old system exempted your state and local taxes.  So basically you are saying the the feudal lords in Washington now want more caviar and champagne.  

I agree with your second point.  They always want more.  Of course that kind of flies in the face of the liberal hysteria about increasing the debt an extra 1.5 T over the current projections of increasing the debt by a very frugal 10 T over 10 years.  

But I return to the original question.  A Floridian and a Californian, each making $80k get exactly the same Federal services for their income taxes.  Why should the Floridian pay more just because Jerry Brown skims 15% of the Californian's salary?  Maybe instead of deducting state taxes from Federal taxes, the states should allow you to deduct Federal taxes from your state taxes?  

5 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

He probably wouldn't.

But your/his statement

"The Fed paid for it.  You have automatic Federal flood insurance for free in a flood prone area.  Private companies won't sell insurance in those areas.  "

is false. 

https://pocketsense.com/flood-insurance-mandatory-florida-8375648.html

And who built him a new home? The same peoe who gave him free flood insurance??

It is obviously not flood insurance per se, it is simply the Fed stepping into a disaster area.  They spend a lot of money after every hurricane and flood.  Private insurance did not solely restore New Orleans after Katrina.  

7 minutes ago, EGoldstein said:

So once again my point, Texans or those in flood prone areas are not paying for the insurance they should purchase themselves or have the state in which they live improve the water drainage systems.  They are letting the rest of the tax payers pay it for them.  

Private companies won't sell it for a reason, I wonder what that is?   

I fully agree.  If you are Humpty Dumpty and sit on the wall, all the kings horses and all the kings men should relax and eat oats and play beer pong, respectively.  

You sound strangely conservative today.  Am I wrong?  

1 minute ago, jdsample said:

I agree with your second point.  They always want more.  Of course that kind of flies in the face of the liberal hysteria about increasing the debt an extra 1.5 T over the current projections of increasing the debt by a very frugal 10 T over 10 years.  

But I return to the original question.  A Floridian and a Californian, each making $80k get exactly the same Federal services for their income taxes.  Why should the Floridian pay more just because Jerry Brown skims 15% of the Californian's salary?  Maybe instead of deducting state taxes from Federal taxes, the states should allow you to deduct Federal taxes from your state taxes?  

Liberal hysteria over the debt, not really.  Conservative hypocrisy over the debt, definitely.  

Once again your fallacy -  

A Floridian and a Californian, each making $80k get exactly the same Federal services for their income taxes.  Correct

Why should the Floridian pay more just because Jerry Brown skims 15% of the Californian's salary?   Incorrect, they do pay the same tax rate, only the Californian was not taxed on their taxes. Now they are. 

Maybe instead of deducting state taxes from Federal taxes, the states should allow you to deduct Federal taxes from your state taxes?  Perhaps, but why the change now?  

3 minutes ago, jdsample said:

I fully agree.  If you are Humpty Dumpty and sit on the wall, all the kings horses and all the kings men should relax and eat oats and play beer pong, respectively.  

You sound strangely conservative today.  Am I wrong?  

I sound the way I have always sounded.  Maybe your impression was wrong.  

8 hours ago, Guido2 said:

And MD.

MD does not have high taxes. Why do people buy into that myth?

25 minutes ago, EGoldstein said:

Liberal hysteria over the debt, not really.  Conservative hypocrisy over the debt, definitely.  

Once again your fallacy -  

A Floridian and a Californian, each making $80k get exactly the same Federal services for their income taxes.  Correct

Why should the Floridian pay more just because Jerry Brown skims 15% of the Californian's salary?   Incorrect, they do pay the same tax rate, only the Californian was not taxed on their taxes. Now they are. 

Maybe instead of deducting state taxes from Federal taxes, the states should allow you to deduct Federal taxes from your state taxes?  Perhaps, but why the change now?  

No, the Californian gets a big deduction that the Floridian does not get and sends fewer dollars to Uncle Sam.  But still receives the same benefits from him.  The tax rate is irrelevant if that isn't what you actually pay.  

27 minutes ago, EGoldstein said:

I sound the way I have always sounded.  Maybe your impression was wrong.  

Could be.  Apologies.  

Just now, jdsample said:

No, the Californian gets a big deduction that the Floridian does not get and sends fewer dollars to Uncle Sam.  But still receives the same benefits from him.  The tax rate is irrelevant if that isn't what you actually pay.  

That is not what you implied.  The Californian and Floridian pay the same amount.  The Feds see a difference, not the tax payer.  The IRS does appreciate your concern however.  

2 minutes ago, jdsample said:

Could be.  Apologies.  

None needed, but accepted.

39 minutes ago, EGoldstein said:

That is not what you implied.  The Californian and Floridian pay the same amount.  The Feds see a difference, not the tax payer.  The IRS does appreciate your concern however.  

But they don't pay the same amount to the Federal government.  Because some of the Californian's taxes are shunted off to Jerry Brown to fund illegal immigration and retirement funds for state government workers.  Yet Californians get the same Federal benefits as the Floridian paying full freight.  Plus extra state benefits Floridians don't get.  

But they don't pay the same amount to the Federal government.  Because some of the Californian's taxes are shunted off to Jerry Brown to fund illegal immigration and retirement funds for state government workers.  Yet Californians get the same Federal benefits as the Floridian paying full freight.  Plus extra state benefits Floridians don't get.  

And your point is?  Both the Californian and Floridian pay the exact same amount.  Only the IRS sees the different amount.  As I said, the IRS does really appreciate your concern.  

1 hour ago, RileyMartin said:

Wrong...

that's the best you have....no, I am right....I provided the professional's work to back up what I am saying...that would make me informed and you the best kind of trumpanzee-- uneducated and uniformed....your dear leader loves you....

6 minutes ago, EGoldstein said:

And your point is?  Both the Californian and Floridian pay the exact same amount.  Only the IRS sees the different amount.  As I said, the IRS does really appreciate your concern.  

My point is that the Floridian pays more for FBI protection than the Californian.  They pay more for the military, and Federal social programs.  The Californian, I admit is getting screwed before, and more so now, so Jerry Brown can play games with immigrants, but when the nation goes to war, California gets a Jerry Brown discount.  

My point is that the Floridian pays more for FBI protection than the Californian.  They pay more for the military, and Federal social programs.  The Californian, I admit is getting screwed before, and more so now, so Jerry Brown can play games with immigrants, but when the nation goes to war, California gets a Jerry Brown discount.  

No they don't, they pay the exact same amount.  Now if you believe there is a different tax table for each state, then I would agree with your point, but there isn't.  The IRS gets different amounts, and they truly appreciate your concern.  

2 hours ago, ms maggie said:

MD population is not declining, it's growing.

High taxes in CT, Illinois. Population there declining. But wait, also declining in low tax W VA, Maine, New M.

Facts. Darn it.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.governing.com/topics/mgmt/gov-states-losing-population-census.html%3fAMP

These links disagree with your statement

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=OadNWsqpEoe0_Abo6Ie4BA&q=Are+people+leaving+Maryland&oq=Are+people+leaving+Maryland&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1201.13568.0.14610.41.22.9.10.10.0.96.1396.22.22.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.25.835...0j0i131k1.0.7k9T0JLIfgc

And MD has high taxes.....I can't help it if your link doesn't mention ii However my links do point to MD.

Facts. Darn it. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I hope that you are correct.  My commutes disagree, but your facts say otherwise.  

11 hours ago, jdsample said:

God help the people of Florida and Texas.  Apparently they get no services?  Maybe they should move to NY?  

Texas just has a higher sales tax, lots of use fees and in general a lower cost of living which makes this no comparison. Florida charges even more sales tax and benefits from its higher volume of people.

Just now, EGoldstein said:

I hope that you are correct.  My commutes disagree, but your facts say otherwise.  

I commuted for YEARs from the Baltmore area to the DC/Reston area. I feel you pain. I don't disagree that corridor between BC and DC  area is growing....look at all the townhouses etc and the traffic. No doubt there. B

HOWEVER, the state as a whole is losing people....retirees, rich non-workng and middle class that either can't afford the taxes or the high cost of living  or both. Look at Route 83 and all the cars streaming in and out from PA. during rush hour. Why? I gave you the answer.

As long as DC the mentioned area will continue to grow but not enough to compensate for the rest of the state.

1 minute ago, jtowne-swim said:

Texas just has a higher sales tax, lots of use fees and in general a lower cost of living which makes this no comparison. Florida charges even more sales tax and benefits from its higher volume of people.

Yet how is it that Florida has no taxes for retiees on income and I think Texas has little or none.

How do they manage to do it....yet....states like MD continues to tax retirees? All three states provide services don't they?

Is it possible that those other states curtail the freebee's that MD's GA gives away every year?

1 minute ago, Guido2 said:

I commuted for YEARs from the Baltmore area to the DC/Reston area. I feel you pain. I don't disagree that corridor between BC and DC  area is growing....look at all the townhouses etc and the traffic. No doubt there. B

HOWEVER, the state as a whole is losing people....retirees, rich non-workng and middle class that either can't afford the taxes or the high cost of living  or both. Look at Route 83 and all the cars streaming in and out from PA. during rush hour. Why? I gave you the answer.

As long as DC the mentioned area will continue to grow but not enough to compensate for the rest of the state.

Well that is not encouraging at all, will you please convince the folks commuting to DC to move as well?  I really have no interest at all in moving to PA, so the traffic on 83 doesn't impact me.  Thanks in advance.  

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, jdsample said:

Please explain to me why a Texan making exactly the same salary as a Californian should pay more for exactly the same Federal services.  

They don’t but let’s also admit a Texan pays less for all sorts of other things like housing etc. cost of living is much cheaper! Also the Texan gets a greater return on his tax investment than the Californian!

Edited by jtowne-swim

59 minutes ago, EGoldstein said:

No they don't, they pay the exact same amount.  Now if you believe there is a different tax table for each state, then I would agree with your point, but there isn't.  The IRS gets different amounts, and they truly appreciate your concern.  

No there is not a different Fed tax table for each state.  There is a different state tax table for each state.  And if a Californian can deduct the 15% he pays to Jerry, and the Floridian can't deduct a dime, guess who writes the bigger check to the Fed?  

In the big picture, the Californian is the one who gets screwed of course, since state tax is not a credit but only a deduction.  So he moves to Colorado.  Or maybe Florida.  

9 minutes ago, jtowne-swim said:

You are right.  So should Texans pay more per person for the military than a Californian?

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, jdsample said:

That is our system.  When you pay income tax, does that exempt you from sales tax?  Or paying capital gains on investments of dollars previously taxed?  We layer one tax upon another to keep the feudal lords of Washington in caviar and champagne.  

You can deducte sales tax! Capital Gains is a tax on the money you made not the initial investment!

Edited by jtowne-swim