Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

The double edged sword of Justin Timberlake

104 posts in this topic

I was just about done with him after he threw Janet under the bus. Now that's he's been invited to perform again, and Janet's been essentially banned?! I'm a hunned percent done!  Using his white male privilege to further exploit black music. *puke* SMH...

19 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

A few years ago he was criticized for "appropriating black music".

https://www.colorlines.com/articles/trouble-justin-timberlakes-appropriation-black-music

Now he is being criticized for "reconnecting with his Southern roots".

https://theoutline.com/post/2839/justin-timberlake-man-of-the-woods-pivot

Seems like the guy can't win.

JT just seems like a white guy who likes Black music. There’s nothing wrong with that. Music is universal. I never understood the who “Cultural Appropriation” thing. 

And so what if he wants to do more folksy or southern music now. If you don’t like it don’t buy his music...

Janet Jackson converted to Islam.  How/what would she perform?   

15 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

I was just about done with him after he threw Janet under the bus. Now that's he's been invited to perform again, and Janet's been essentially banned?! I'm a hunned percent done!  Using his white male privilege to further exploit black music. *puke* SMH...

Janet is raunchy, that was her idea and JT was involved with it. And besides, it was the most overblown incident of all time, IMO. The repercussions throughout entertainment are still felt today.

But JT was criticized for "black appropriation" and now you're blasting him for using his white male privilege (might as well just abbreviate this to WMP to make it easier for everyone). So what should he do, in your opinion, to avoid the blacklash?

16 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

JT’s inspiration clearly is Michael Jackson. And his career so far has fallen far short of the success of MJ. 

6 minutes ago, soulflower said:

JT just seems like a white guy who likes Black music. There’s nothing wrong with that. Music is universal. I never understood the who “Cultural Appropriation” thing. 

And so what if he wants to do more folksy or southern music now. If you don’t like it don’t buy his music...

I agree, but I do have an issue with white rappers. Never been a fan of Eminem but he does seem to own his whiteness and image within the industry. Post Malone? That "Gucci Gang" dweeb? White posers.

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, soulflower said:

JT’s inspiration clearly is Michael Jackson. And his career so far has fallen far short of the success of MJ. 

No one is going to equal the success of MJ. It's a different era. JT has made a fine career for himself. And I can't believe I am defending the guy this much...I've never been a fan of his.

Edited by Pickle20

4 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Janet Jackson converted to Islam.  How/what would she perform?   

Maybe she could show off her ululation. I would watch!

3 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Disagree, not a fan of either but I don't see any similarity to MJ beyond both being pop stars.

3 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I agree, but I do have an issue with white rappers. Never been a fan of Eminem but he does seem to own his whiteness and image within the industry. Post Malone? That "Gucci Gang" dweeb? White posers.

Rap is universal. It’s no longer just an Urban American thing. 

I’ve always felt that music connects people in ways that politics and religion fail to do. 

So it’s disappointing when people create controversy over stuff like this. Cultural Crossover is how we got Jazz, Rock N Roll, House Music, etc. 

1 minute ago, Smokey 1 said:

Disagree, not a fan of either but I don't see any similarity to MJ beyond both being pop stars.

If you’re not a fan of either artist how would you know? 

I think Timberlake has acknowledged Jackson as one of his influences. 

7 minutes ago, soulflower said:

If you’re not a fan of either artist how would you know? 

I think Timberlake has acknowledged Jackson as one of his influences. 

I don't have to be a fan to know their work. 

Posted (edited)

I always believed music was for everyone and anyone and their is no black or white music.

Growing up in the 60's and 70's what some would call "black music" influenced all music and music was the one thing we have to share.

Now we are told by millennials that white people who make hip hop or rap music are "appropriating black music".

What about Elvis, Beatles, Stones and even Springsteen could be accused of the same but that was not important to those that liked the music.

I swear we have done a 180 in race relations if we still are using terms like "appropriating black music", when music is for all. 

Edited by jonsensback

38 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Bruno Mars wants to be the next MJ ..........

14 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

I always believed music was for everyone and anyone and their is no black or white music.

Growing up in the 60's and 70's what some would call "black music" influenced all music and music was the one thing we have to share.

Now we at told by millennials that white people who make hip hop or rap music are "appropriating black music".

What about Elvis, Beatles, Stones and even Springsteen could be accused of the same but that was not important to those that liked the music.

I swear we have done a 180 in race relations if we still are using terms like "appropriating black music", when music is for all.

90% of this stuff is based on Social Media. Which isn’t representative of society as a whole. A small group of people are able use Twitter and Facebook as a bullhorn. So I wouldn’t read much into it. 

1 hour ago, soulflower said:

I think his greatest talent is comedy.  He was much funnier than he was musical when he hosted SNL.  

Posted (edited)

42 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Now we at told by millennials that white people who make hip hop or rap music are "appropriating black music".

Talk about stolen or uh appropriation. This sister JUST got inducted into the RR Hall of Fame. 

All those you mention above had the privilege of being white males. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9bX5mzdihs&sns=em

Edited by Marshan Man

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Janet is raunchy, that was her idea and JT was involved with it. And besides, it was the most overblown incident of all time, IMO. The repercussions throughout entertainment are still felt today.

But JT was criticized for "black appropriation" and now you're blasting him for using his white male privilege (might as well just abbreviate this to WMP to make it easier for everyone). So what should he do, in your opinion, to avoid the blacklash?

He should have said no Janet no performance. He’s a weasel. 

1 minute ago, Marshan Man said:

He should have said no Janet no performance. He’s a weasel. 

Based on what happened? Yeah, maybe. Hindsight is 20/20. But who in their right mind would turn down JJ in 2004?

57 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Rap is universal. It’s no longer just an Urban American thing. 

I’ve always felt that music connects people in ways that politics and religion fail to do. 

So it’s disappointing when people create controversy over stuff like this. Cultural Crossover is how we got Jazz, Rock N Roll, House Music, etc. 

Rock & roll as well as jazz and the blues are arguably black music.  If some jerk had invented the phrase "cultural appropriation"by the 50's they would have labeled Elvis with that.  It is one of the things that make our culture uniquely American, rather than some flavor of European.  I mean you can only go so far musically with Greensleeves as your inspiration.  

The British Invasion of the 1960s was really a copy-cat movement of American rock which had roots in black artists.  

7 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Based on what happened? Yeah, maybe. Hindsight is 20/20. But who in their right mind would turn down JJ in 2004?

I’m talking about his upcoming performance this year. 

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

I’m talking about his upcoming performance this year. 

I misread it. But I disagree.

Edited by Pickle20

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, jdsample said:

Rock & roll as well as jazz and the blues are arguably black music.  If some jerk had invented the phrase "cultural appropriation"by the 50's they would have labeled Elvis with that.  It is one of the things that make our culture uniquely American, rather than some flavor of European.  I mean you can only go so far musically with Greensleeves as your inspiration.  

The British Invasion of the 1960s was really a copy-cat movement of American rock which had roots in black artists.  

Black people DO label Elvis et al. with that   always have... lol. Unreal...the white bubble is quite a marvel. :lol:

Edited by Marshan Man

So what should JT do at this point in his career to appease watchful black people?