Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ravens2006

Harbs Press Conference...

49 posts in this topic

When asked about coaching changes, sounded to me like he said there wouldn't be any other than Pees' retirement.  Joy.

I don't know that I can ever take anything he says seriously again .....

It's all just rah rah mighty men cheerleader bullcrap .....

Posted (edited)

I've never put much stock in what he says to the media, he never really throws players or coaches under the bus publicly no matter how they perform.  And I get that, you don't foster much goodwill in the locker room if you do such a thing.

But replacing Marty is so, so, so much the right thing to do... it's mind-boggling to not pull the trigger on that.  You can be complimentary and apologetic and whatever else, but he has to go.  His system doesn't work with a QB of Joe's make-up.  His resume is long and clearly shows success with a different style of QB, the kind that we don't have here.  He won't change his system, and Joe's not going anywhere for at least another year.  So they're basically, in all likelihood, throwing away the 2018 season offensively too.

So much of their "offensive surge" the second half of the year was thanks to the defense scoring or setting them up in GREAT situations to score.  But it seems that the "surge" will save Marty for another year.  Bummer... major bummer...

Edited by Ravens2006

Man this board is getting as depressing as the O’s board :lol:

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

Orioles for good reason.  My Ravens pessimism will eventually wear off.

I'm 50/50 on Marty getting canned. I can see the pluses and minuses to each, but I am willing to give him the BOTD for one more year. The offense did improve as year went on and Flacco got healthier. We just need better WR's...thats the #1 issue this offseason.

If we are in same position next year everyone is gone anyway so it really doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

I know what they say, there's always next season...but I can't shake Pitt and Cincy loss...not yet

We should be in contention next year with an off season to fix defensive issues & put some weapons around the qb. This new year the problem seems much easier than the last many years where we were constantly trying to fix secondary and o-line and rb and multitude of issues. Right now it seems more simple. Cut some veterans to whittle down that cap, develop the young defenders (there should be someone athletic enough on there already who can learn to cover TEs - Bowser!)

Get the QB some WRs who can catch the freaking ball. This can't be that hard.

We're in decent position to get one of the top Wrs from the draft. Also signing one of solid FAs will help. 

I wonder if the problem covering tight ends didn't originate with Pees' defensive scheming. They had that problem much of the season.

We know Ozzie has a poor track record drafting wide receivers, so where are the weapons coming from? Free agency? With a few key exceptions, everyone they sign seems to have trouble catching Joe. His accuracy is mediocre but the passes look okay. What's the problem?

Why is the team so terribly inconsistent?

These are key questions and I am not confident that Harbaugh has answers.

Posted (edited)

The Ravens are going to be hard-pressed filling their needs via free agency, given their present cap situation. They'll certainly create some space before free agency begins in March, but for every opening created, one has to be filled. I wouldn't expect them to make a huge splash in free agency, which means they're going to have to nail the upcoming draft--something they haven't done in recent years.

The most obvious cuts are Maclin and, to me anyway, Webb. Cutting Maclin would create $5 million in cap space, and the only way he should be brought back is if he accepts a pay cut. Webb was once a good player and by all accounts, is a good guy, but his Raven days are likely at an end. The cap savings of $1.75 million aren't an end-all, but Webb has largely become expendable, particularly for a team which desperately needs to create cap room.

Other players who could find themselves cap casualties include Woodhead, McClellan, Perriman, Weddle, Carr, and yes, even Suggs. A lot will depend on how far out of salary cap purgatory the Ravens wish to extricate themselves.

Edited by mdrunning

8 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

If not for a break with 3 starting  qb injuries this team was probably 6 and 10.....

They didn't beat any good teams and lost to a few bad ones .....

I think folks are being naive about how close they are ......

And I'm not convinced things will turn around while harbaugh, Marty and flacco are here .....

11 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

The Ravens are going to be hard-pressed filling their needs via free agency, given their present cap situation. They'll certainly create some space before free agency begins in March, but for every opening created, one has to be filled. I wouldn't expect them to make a huge splash in free agency, which means they're going to have to nail the upcoming draft--something they haven't done in recent years.

The most obvious cuts are Maclin and, to me anyway, Webb. Cutting Maclin would create $5 million in cap space, and the only way he should be brought back is if he accepts a pay cut. Webb was once a good player and by all accounts, is a good guy, but his Raven days are likely at an end. The cap savings of $1.75 million aren't an end-all, but Webb has largely become expendable, particularly for a team which desperately needs to create cap room.

Other players who could find themselves cap casualties include Woodhead, McClellan, Perriman, Weddle, Carr, and yes, even Suggs. A lot will depend on how far out of salary cap purgatory the Ravens wish to extricate themselves.

You're not saving much cutting Webb, likewise with Woodhead. Weddle would be at the top of my cut list. Good player, but he's 33. Maclin saves you 5 but Wallace is a UFA. If you cut Maclin, who's catching the ball? Perriman, Campanero, Moore? I agree Carr is a possibility, but I don't see Suggs going anywhere

Just now, bmore_ken said:

You're not saving much cutting Webb, likewise with Woodhead. Weddle would be at the top of my cut list. Good player, but he's 33. Maclin saves you 5 but Wallace is a UFA. If you cut Maclin, who's catching the ball? Perriman, Campanero, Moore? I agree Carr is a possibility, but I don't see Suggs going anywhere

Webb has LTBE incentives in his contract, which means the more he plays, the less valuable he is to the Ravens, at least from a cap perspective. I agree it's not a huge number either way, but it could be to a team that's tight against the cap.

Campanero is also a free agent, so that will open up another WR position. Given how lackluster the receiving corps largely was, would it be all that painful to part with any of them? Maclin's 440 yards receiving and three TD's don't justify his $7.5 cap number next season to begin with, and it was never a good fit regardless. He basically fell into the Ravens' laps in the spring, and the Ravens never seemed to consider that his skill sets weren't a match for what they were trying to do offensively (whatever it was).

I agree that Suggs probably won't be going anywhere. He had a good year, particularly for a 35-year-old, but there were times when he just seemed to disappear (like this past Sunday). And if the Ravens decide they need that $4 million in cap room. . .

wash rinse repeat 

If we just fix this or just fix that. John's teams are batting .500 and have missed the playoffs 4 out of 5 seasons. There is 4 teams in our division and one team has only won 1 game out of 32 and yet.....stay the course

2 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

If not for a break with 3 starting  qb injuries this team was probably 6 and 10.....

They didn't beat any good teams and lost to a few bad ones .....

I think folks are being naive about how close they are ......

And I'm not convinced things will turn around while harbaugh, Marty and flacco are here .....

I tend to agree with this.  I don't think people realize how favorable of a schedule they had this year.  Looking back, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and Jacksonville were the only tough teams they played all year long.  At the beginning of the season Oakland, Green Bay, and Houston looked like they might be tough, but all 3 ended up being under .500.  Miami was in the playoffs last year, but also ended up under .500.  Their schedule will be a lot tougher next year and they aren't likely to face as many teams without their starting QBs as they did this year.  I also think pointing to the offense as having improved without taking into account the drop off in defenses that they played is just citing statistics in your favor.  I think if they don't make some serious changes over the off season they might actually take a step back next year record wise given the schedule they have.  I know how Harbaugh is, so I guess it doesn't surprise me that he would take the tone he did.  I am more interested in what Steve Biscotti has to say at the state of the Ravens press conference.  If he falls in line with the same train of thought then I will tend to believe the Ravens are becoming one of those franchises who tends to over estimate the talent they actually have.  

In the first seven weeks of the season, the Ravens faced four top 10 defenses. Since Week 8, they went against four that were ranked in the bottom half of the league, including five that were 25th or lower. I'm not sure what Cincinnati's overall rank was, but they were 31st against the run, which makes you wonder why the Ravens threw the ball almost twice as many times as they ran it on Sunday. 

37 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

In the first seven weeks of the season, the Ravens faced four top 10 defenses. Since Week 8, they went against four that were ranked in the bottom half of the league, including five that were 25th or lower. I'm not sure what Cincinnati's overall rank was, but they were 31st against the run, which makes you wonder why the Ravens threw the ball almost twice as many times as they ran it on Sunday. 

This^   I made this point on another thread.  Before the bye the defenses the Ravens played had a final average ranking of 11.5.   After the bye that ranking was 19.4.  Of course the offense got better.  Any offense would have.  I'm sure the emergence of Alex Collins helped the offense, but if the Ravens think the improvement was because all of the sudden the offense somehow clicked in the second half I think they are making a big assumption.  

6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Given his propensity for "trick plays" I can see Harbs sitting in his office thinking, "Cincy is terrible against the run, they're probably going to be looking for us to run the whole game. So they'll be prepared to stop us. I'm going to have Marty throw all night. They'll never expect that, and we'll totally surprise them" 

6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I agree with you somewhat, but...

The Ravens scored 27 points in the game. That should have been enough. Cincinnati's defense overall for scoring was around the league average (Cincy had allowed 21.81 PPG; the league average was 21.72). Cincy was eighth in passing yards surrendered; the Bengals were third from the bottom in rushing yards. Only the Redskins and Chargers were worse. In total defense Cincy was once again in the middle - giving up 339 yards per game (league average) 334.09. To compare, Baltimore gave up 325 YPG. Minnesota's league best was 275.94.

If you want to look at more statistics:

29 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Given his propensity for "trick plays" I can see Harbs sitting in his office thinking, "Cincy is terrible against the run, they're probably going to be looking for us to run the whole game. So they'll be prepared to stop us. I'm going to have Marty throw all night. They'll never expect that, and we'll totally surprise them" 

I don't habaugh has any idea what the offensive game plan is from week to week .....

Given the range of offensive coordinators he has hired he clearly has no core system that he favors or strong offensive philosophy ......

I started the post-bye scoring drive analysis.  :)  Haven't finished it yet, but it's VERY heavy on short drives starting in GREAT field position.  This wasn't an offense that suddenly showed a big uptick in long scoring drives, they just stopped turning the ball over as much and didn't blow great field position as frequently.

4 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

I started the post-bye scoring drive analysis.  :)  Haven't finished it yet, but it's VERY heavy on short drives starting in GREAT field position.  This wasn't an offense that suddenly showed a big uptick in long scoring drives, they just stopped turning the ball over as much and didn't blow great field position as frequently.

That's not surprising at all.  The post-bye opponents defensive ranking was quite a bit lower.  I bet if you did a post-bye analysis on turnovers you would find the Raven's opponents defensively after the bye created a lot fewer turnovers than the opponents before the bye.  

11 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I guess it all depends on the draft- all I know is for everything they put into the defense last year between a defense heavy draft and some F/A signings, the defense still couldn't hold a lead, secondary looked shakey and hardly any pass rush. Oh, and  one guy who had some sack success, Z. Smith is part of their trade humors. If they trade him, he'll need to be replaced.

8 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

I guess it all depends on the draft- all I know is for everything they put into the defense last year between a defense heavy draft and some F/A signings, the defense still couldn't hold a lead, secondary looked shakey and hardly any pass rush. Oh, and  one guy who had some sack success, Z. Smith is part of their trade humors. If they trade him, he'll need to be replaced.

I will give some benefit of doubt to the defense. It's a young unit that should get better next year. Humphrey showed he was a rookie but he also showed promise last year and had to fill in big shoes when Jimmy Smith went down. What the team is lacking right now is a solid young pass rusher.  Hopefully they can get one in the draft.