Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ravens2006

Harbs Press Conference...

49 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, weird-O said:

Given his propensity for "trick plays" I can see Harbs sitting in his office thinking, "Cincy is terrible against the run, they're probably going to be looking for us to run the whole game. So they'll be prepared to stop us. I'm going to have Marty throw all night. They'll never expect that, and we'll totally surprise them" 

If you watched some of the 1st half of that game, how many easy passes were dropped that would have made 1st downs to keep drives alive ..??

Wallace dropped at least 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

I guess it all depends on the draft- all I know is for everything they put into the defense last year between a defense heavy draft and some F/A signings, the defense still couldn't hold a lead, secondary looked shakey and hardly any pass rush. Oh, and  one guy who had some sack success, Z. Smith is part of their trade humors. If they trade him, he'll need to be replaced.

Pees didn't seem to want to play the young guys with the vets in front of them. Maybe didn't want to risk it ..???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

I will give some benefit of doubt to the defense. It's a young unit that should get better next year. Humphrey showed he was a rookie but he also showed promise last year and had to fill in big shoes when Jimmy Smith went down. What the team is lacking right now is a solid young pass rusher.  Hopefully they can get one in the draft.

I hate to say it but the defense is not the same without Jimmie Smith, even though I agree Humphrey had some good moments.

Jimmie Smith is hurt often, and may not be ready for the beginning of next season. I agree they need a pash rusher, another LB to play alongside Mosely, and a younger safety. So, again, plugging holes in the defense and that's not addressing one offensive need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

If you watched some of the 1st half of that game, how many easy passes were dropped that would have made 1st downs to keep drives alive ..??

Wallace dropped at least 3.

Yep, it was terrible to see so many passes land square in the numbers, only to be dropped or pass thru the hands of he receivers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mikemor1 said:

I hate to say it but the defense is not the same without Jimmie Smith, even though I agree Humphrey had some good moments.

Jimmie Smith is hurt often, and may not be ready for the beginning of next season. I agree they need a pash rusher, another LB to play alongside Mosely, and a younger safety. So, again, plugging holes in the defense and that's not addressing one offensive need.

I think overall we both agree. And yes, without Smith, the defense as a whole seems to suffer greatly. And he does get injured frequently. So IMO the Ravens need to find a suitable replacement for him.  It also really depends on what the new defensive coordinator does - how he utilizes the players on this team. Maybe they have the players but just need a new approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, weird-O said:

Yep, it was terrible to see so many passes land square in the numbers, only to be dropped or pass thru the hands of he receivers. 

It is amazing how Flacco even had any confidence to come back at them later in the game.I know it was cold there but there are no excuses for those drops knowing how important that game was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Pees didn't seem to want to play the young guys with the vets in front of them. Maybe didn't want to risk it ..???

I guess it's possible- I always attributed that philosophy to the Raven's as a whole. But regarding the guys that rarely play:

do you think there's any point to keeping Urban? I think he's played literally 15mins, injured the rest of the time.

What about Correa and Kafusi? Has Kafusi even ever been activated? Correa is a ST's player. And Webb and Weddle are old.

I do like their new young CB group, and maybe in a different scheme, they could shine.

And I am not one of those who think Suggs will or should leave-he does provide leadership and has good instincts.

Edited by mikemor1
want to add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

I guess it's possible- I always attributed that philosophy to the Raven's as a whole. But regarding the guys that rarely play:

do you think there's any point to keeping Urban? I think he's played literally 15mins, injured the rest of the time.

What about Correa and Kafusi? Has Kafusi even ever been activated? Correa is a ST's player. And Webb and Weddle are old.

I do like their new young CB group, and maybe in a different scheme, they could shine.

And I am not one of those who think Suggs will or should leave-he does provide leadership and has good instincts.

I believe Urban is a FA so he will be gone. Don't know what's up with Kalfusi. Correa did get some more playing time but is not playing the position he was drafted at. Judon kept Williams & Bowser off the field. With Bowser's range he should have been covering TE's on 3rd down.

If Kalfusi gets a shot next season it will be because Z Smith is also a FA. Suggs will likely be back for one more season unless he wants to walk away. I hope he does not, if he does I need another jersey to wear to games.

Edited by stevez51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Yep, it was terrible to see so many passes land square in the numbers, only to be dropped or pass thru the hands of he receivers. 

Even the one long pass with the defender on top of him went thru his arms and down his body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

I believe Urban is a FA so he will be gone. Don't know what's up with Kalfusi. Correa did get some more playing time but is not playing the position he was drafted at. Judon kept Williams & Bowser off the field. With Bowser's range he should have been covering TE's on 3rd down.

If Kalfusi gets a shot next season it will be because Z Smith is also a FA. Suggs will likely be back for one more season unless he wants to walk away. I hope he does not, if he does I need another jersey to wear to games.

Za'Darius Smith will be entering the final year of his contract in 2018.

Just for the record, here are the Ravens' unrestricted free agents this offseason:

CB Brandon Boykin
OL Luke Bowanko
WR Michael Campanaro
TE Crockett Gillmore
OL James Hurst
G/C Ryan Jensen
LB Steven Johnson
QB Ryan Mallett
DT Brent Urban
WR Mike Wallace
TE Benjamin Watson
RB Terrance West

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikemor1 said:

I hate to say it but the defense is not the same without Jimmie Smith, even though I agree Humphrey had some good moments.

Jimmie Smith is hurt often, and may not be ready for the beginning of next season. I agree they need a pash rusher, another LB to play alongside Mosely, and a younger safety. So, again, plugging holes in the defense and that's not addressing one offensive need.

If Smith was on the field, they very likely would have beat Cincy and possibly Pittsburgh (or at least wouldn't have given up 500 passing yards).  Shame he gets injured so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Preston nailed it .....

This is insane thinking they were "this close", are heading in the right direction and should stand pat .....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-mike-preston-ravens-tone-deaf-0105-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1gp2

“I’m happy we have the coaches we have on defense and on offense, and we’re building going forward,” Harbaugh said. “I believe in these coaches. I understand the job they did this year because I see it close-up, and I think our offense made a heck of a lot of progress, especially considering the adversity that we faced and the challenges that we were up against this year.”

Apparently, the Ravens like being an average team in an average league. They are 40-40 since Harbaugh’s great alpha male purge after the Super Bowl win in February 2013 with only two winning seasons.

The Ravens had a better passing game in the second half of the season because they played teams such as the Detroit Lions, Cleveland, Indianapolis Colts and Green Bay Packers, who had some of the worst secondaries in the NFL. In fact, the Ravens played the third-worst schedule in the league and beat only one team with a winning record. This was a great opportunity for them to make the playoffs.

And they failed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Eastside Terp said:

Preston nailed it .....

This is insane thinking they were "this close", are heading in the right direction and should stand pat .....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-mike-preston-ravens-tone-deaf-0105-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1gp2

“I’m happy we have the coaches we have on defense and on offense, and we’re building going forward,” Harbaugh said. “I believe in these coaches. I understand the job they did this year because I see it close-up, and I think our offense made a heck of a lot of progress, especially considering the adversity that we faced and the challenges that we were up against this year.”

Apparently, the Ravens like being an average team in an average league. They are 40-40 since Harbaugh’s great alpha male purge after the Super Bowl win in February 2013 with only two winning seasons.

The Ravens had a better passing game in the second half of the season because they played teams such as the Detroit Lions, Cleveland, Indianapolis Colts and Green Bay Packers, who had some of the worst secondaries in the NFL. In fact, the Ravens played the third-worst schedule in the league and beat only one team with a winning record. This was a great opportunity for them to make the playoffs.

And they failed.

 

 

Agree. Great article. 

That last Ravens game was pure perfection in summing up all of the on field and coaching problems over the last five years. That game was a microcosm of all the infuriating things that continue to happen with this team since the SB win.

And if that’s what Ravens football now is, I’m not sure many fans are gonna be very excited or even slightly interested in supporting it 

 

 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Za'Darius Smith will be entering the final year of his contract in 2018.

Just for the record, here are the Ravens' unrestricted free agents this offseason:

CB Brandon Boykin
OL Luke Bowanko
WR Michael Campanaro
TE Crockett Gillmore
OL James Hurst
G/C Ryan Jensen
LB Steven Johnson
QB Ryan Mallett
DT Brent Urban
WR Mike Wallace
TE Benjamin Watson
RB Terrance West

Thought I heard it was his last unless he is a RFA.

Out of that list, resign Jensen & Wallace and maybe bring back Gilmore on a prove it deal. Adios to the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Thought I heard it was his last unless he is a RFA.

Out of that list, resign Jensen & Wallace and maybe bring back Gilmore on a prove it deal. Adios to the rest.

I agree 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Thought I heard it was his last unless he is a RFA.

Out of that list, resign Jensen & Wallace and maybe bring back Gilmore on a prove it deal. Adios to the rest.

Actually, the Ravens have no restricted free agents this year. Smith was signed to a four-year deal when the Ravens drafted him in 2015. 

The biggest decision might be Mosley. He's in the fifth-year option of his rookie deal next season, which means he'll get a considerable boost in pay along with a much higher cap number. The Ravens might want to try and work out a new deal in order to ease the cap burden for 2018.

As for Jensen, I wouldn't count on him coming back. Although he probably won't attract the attention that Wagner and Osemele received when they hit free agency, he had the type of season which should put him in line for a nice pay raise. If his price tag goes much $6 or $7 million per annum, the Ravens will probably have to take a pass and plan on plugging Matt Skura into that position next season.

Edited by mdrunning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Actually, the Ravens have no restricted free agents this year. Smith was signed to a four-year deal when the Ravens drafted him in 2015. 

The biggest decision might be Mosley. He's in the fifth-year option of his rookie deal next season, which means he'll get a considerable boost in pay along with a much higher cap number. The Ravens might want to try and work out a new deal in order to ease the cap burden for 2018.

I didn't think anyone beyond the 1st round of the draft got more than a 3 yr deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

I didn't think anyone beyond the 1st round of the draft got more than a 3 yr deal.

Under the terms of the CBA, all draft picks receive four-year deals. These are accompanied by signing bonuses and minimum salaries set for each year of the deal. The only differences are first-rounders contracts come with a team option for a fifth year, which has to be picked up following the player's third season, and rookie deals for players selected after the first round are usually not full guaranteed. Smith was a fourth-round choice in 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stevez51 said:

Thought I heard it was his last unless he is a RFA.

Out of that list, resign Jensen & Wallace and maybe bring back Gilmore on a prove it deal. Adios to the rest.

I thought they had released Gilmore after his last injury.  Otherwise, I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Za'Darius Smith will be entering the final year of his contract in 2018.

Just for the record, here are the Ravens' unrestricted free agents this offseason:

CB Brandon Boykin
OL Luke Bowanko
WR Michael Campanaro
TE Crockett Gillmore
OL James Hurst
G/C Ryan Jensen
LB Steven Johnson
QB Ryan Mallett
DT Brent Urban
WR Mike Wallace
TE Benjamin Watson
RB Terrance West

Is Carr that much better than Boykin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mikemor1 said:

I thought they had released Gilmore after his last injury.  Otherwise, I agree.

They did but since he didn't sign with another team he could come back if healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mikemor1 said:

Is Carr that much better than Boykin?

Boykin would be cheaper but is a slot guy not an outside one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevez51 said:

They did but since he didn't sign with another team he could come back if healthy.

 

1 hour ago, stevez51 said:

Boykin would be cheaper but is a slot guy not an outside one.

Thanks Steve-- Put's it in perspective

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0