Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

It's now so cold in Baltimore that the Baltimore Teachers Union is urging Baltimore City Schools CEO to close ALL city schools until they have proper heating

167 posts in this topic

The Baltimore Sun released the letter sent to the Baltimore City Schools CEO via courier urging her to close ALL city schools until they have proper heating: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bal-city-teachers-union-letter-20180103-htmlstory.html and here's the associated story to this: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-cold-schools-20180103-story.html

Story's on CNN and Aaron Maybin an ex NFL player, current city teacher and Baltimore native has a lot to say about it. Pretty damn sad Baltimore. :(

Photos spreading virally online showed children bundled up in Baltimore schools where heating systems weren't keeping up with the weather. The school system closed four schools and dismissed students early at two others Wednesday, and closed all schools Thursday as low temperatures persisted citywide.

Thursday's systemwide closures came only after parents and a teachers' union excoriated the school system for Wednesday's heating issues.
Criticism also came from former NFL linebacker Aaron Maybin, a Baltimore native who now teaches in the city. He says his first-aid kit thermometer showed it was 40 degrees in his classroom Wednesday at Matthew A. Henson Elementary School.

Baltimore closes public schools after students sat in cold classrooms

In all fairness, this is unusually frigid weather that would tax even newer heating systems. 

3 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

In all fairness, this is unusually frigid weather that would tax even newer heating systems. 

And you'd send kids to school in it?

Also in all fairness city schools have been in a shambles for decades and badly need replacing. 

Just now, Marshan Man said:

And you'd send kids to school in it?

Me? Hell no. Schools should close when it’s below a certain temp, if only so kids don’t have to walk or wait for the bus in it. 

2 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Also in all fairness city schools have been in a shambles for decades and badly need replacing. 

I agree. Hopefully, things will get moving now. 

Somehow, I suspect that those offices on North Avenue are all properly heated. 

This city screams for a full financial audit. But God forbid, that would require the concept of accountability.

Sad and infuriating at the same time. Rinse and repeat for my hometown.

1 minute ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

This city screams for a full financial audit. But God forbid, that would require the concept of accountability.

They probably all have little electric heaters under their desks.

11 minutes ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

Yes it would be interesting to finally find out where XXX millions of dollars have gone that 'no one' :rolleyes: can account for.

What were they missing last year over 100 M? And the year before that? etc.

Shame the schools and the kids have to suffer because nobody has a set  (well maybe Hogan does) to call them out.

Audit A REAL AUDIT.....or no money or shut up.

Hogan shold make it clear ....when the city starts whinning again...those are the terms.

OR SHUT UP.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Pugh's turning out to be a disaster. 

Peter principle but in reverse.

In the GA you can have a big mouth and not do jack but look like you do.....in the city.....different story.....which has been retold an number of times.

Solutions are easy....getting off your butt and calling people out is hard.

But hey....it is your city and your vote. Me I only pay taxes to keep 'your' city afloat.

Edited by Guido2

Instead of crying that the schools need replacing.  Has anyone interviewed the head of the school maintenance department and asked why there is no heat?

What did they do all summer?  Is there no heat because they ordered parts and didn't get them?  Or is there no heat because they whined on tv instead of maintaining the equipment.  I don't care how old it is.  If properly maintained, it will work fine.

Just now, johnpolitics said:

City leaders created the financial mess that lead to this.

Who gives an isht?! That’s not the point. 

2 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

Instead of crying that the schools need replacing.  Has anyone interviewed the head of the school maintenance department and asked why there is no heat?

What did they do all summer?  Is there no heat because they ordered parts and didn't get them?  Or is there no heat because they whined on tv instead of maintaining the equipment.  I don't care how old it is.  If properly maintained, it will work fine.

If that's the case, why do people buy new furnaces and boilers?

Just now, Marshan Man said:

That is the point. The city has created the solution that led to this. The city runs the schools. .@LarryHogan has funded K-12 education at record levels in every budget. 

The kids might be safer in a 40 degree class room than at home. 

25 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

If it isn't the point....then what is the point.

Typical deflective thinking on your part.

28 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

If that's the case, why do people buy new furnaces and boilers?

g

Given....that everything organic or mechanical will wear out.

The question is....who has been a sleep at the switch to allow all this to happen? Who were the engineers that said 'gee yah know this is really old' and who said 'well there is nothing in the budget....kick the can'................................................

Failing infrastructure....schools falling apart.....thugs killing thugs....etc etc. etc.

BC gooobberrrment.

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

If it isn't the point....then what is the point.

Typical deflective thinking on your part.

The point is schools shouldn't even be open in this kind of weather if they aren;t up to par. WTH am I deflecting from? Cold kids in classrooms?? Do you even know what that word means??

1 minute ago, Marshan Man said:

The point is schools shouldn't even be open in this kind of weather if they aren;t up to par. WTH am I deflecting from? Cold kids in classrooms?? Do you even know what that word means??

ok fine close the schools....

then you will be bytching about the chiln' not getting feed..or not having someplace to go.

The real point....when thinking people come down to it....is 'HOW THE HECK DID THIS MESS HAPPEN'.

And that is really the point.....regardless of if you you like it or not.

But....that would mean you have to admit ....your elected officials are totally clueless.

Don't want to diss your people. ....do you

Posted (edited)

47 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

Or is there no heat because they whined on tv instead of maintaining the equipment.  I don't care how old it is.  If properly maintained, it will work fine.

Nothing mechanical lasts forever. I don’t care how much maintaining you do. Not to mention old equipment lacks efficiency and effectiveness.

Edited by bmore_ken

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

ok fine close the schools....

then you will be bytching about the chiln' not getting feed..or not having someplace to go.

The real point....when thinking people come down to it....is 'HOW THE HECK DID THIS MESS HAPPEN'.

And that is really the point.....regardless of if you you like it or not.

But....that would mean you have to admit ....your elected officials are totally clueless.

Don't want to diss your people. ....do you

If you read this damn thread I've already aired my grievances regarding some of the city leadership. Talk about totally clueless. You are. You're so quick to try and counter everything I say you don't even read what I type. Who the hell do you think I was talking about when I said "pretty damn sad Baltimore" in my very first post on this thread?? Stop acting like you know me creepy old man. You don't.

"Chiln not getting feed" "Diss my people"?? Wow. No you have no racial issues whatsoever... :rolleyes: 

Edited by Marshan Man