Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

It's now so cold in Baltimore that the Baltimore Teachers Union is urging Baltimore City Schools CEO to close ALL city schools until they have proper heating

167 posts in this topic

Just now, bmore_ken said:

I'm sorry, did I mention race? I don't believe I did. 

Then what ever did you mean? :confused:

29 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

*sigh* You have issues with me, does it really matter?

Edited by bmore_ken

8 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I never used to, and really don’t want to. I’ve always had respect for you and your opinions. It just seems that lately you’re more...oppositional? Adversarial? Touchy? 

And yes, it does matter. 

8 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Probably because the City drags it’s feet on important spending, yet couldn’t move fast enough to move the statues. I know that you, ken, want it to be about some racial thang...but I don’t think it is. Jmo

The Pugh administration hasn't exactly been effective.  Politicians love a symbolic gesture to try to hide their failures.

42 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

The Pugh administration hasn't exactly been effective.  Politicians love a symbolic gesture to try to hide their failures.

I had such hope for Pugh. I thought she’d seen the mistakes of her predecessors, and had a clear(er) vision of how to move forward. Baltimore needs some new faces in City Hall. New thinking.

10 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

The insinuation was clear as day and that's because there's only one possible meaning as you correctly surmised.  

10 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I never used to, and really don’t want to. I’ve always had respect for you and your opinions. It just seems that lately you’re more...oppositional? Adversarial? Touchy? 

And yes, it does matter. 

You're quick to pull the race crap. To answer your question Guido is anti Baltimore City. If a kid from Baltimore City cured cancer he would still complain that kid was educated with his tax money.  Apparently you don't read his posts. :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

Most budgets also include a set-aside for discretionary spending and to cover exigency situations that are not dependent on departmental budgetary limitations.

Others have a "rainy day fund" for such situations. 

So claims that there is no money available to be "shifted" for emergencies is flat-out untrue.

The city even has money to create consulting positions for singers.  Was that money budgeted for that specific purpose? 

Your post pretty much says what I have been trying to get across especially the bolded..... thank you!

23 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I’ll break my ignoring Guido responses for this. Of course the money came from somewhere. What budget it’s from I don’t know. I’m not privy to the city’s budget. Maybe there’s some sort of miscellaneous fund for unexpected expenses. If I cared enough I’m sure I could find it but I don’t care about some statues removed in a city I don’t live in like you do.  I don’t care enough to look. I do know you can’t take money from the BCPD budget and put it in the school budget, just like you can’t take city hall office renovation money and put it into the fire department. Are you really ignorant of how budgets work?

No, I am not that ignorant. I was a project manager in IT. Now while I will say the business budgeting and government budgeting can be two different things. But any budget I ever worked on always had 'Emergency cash' or UTOH clauses to be able to move money around from other contracts and budgets. I can't belleve on the one hand that they can move money for statues....but not money for boilers.

In their lies my confusion or should I say disgust with mismanagement of the city.

I am surprised that you don't care about where the money came from. Yes you and I don't live in the city....however as has been pointed out...the city gets a lot of money from the state which are 'our' tax dollars.....which go into the city budget.

BTW....thanks for replying.

15 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Guido is a little fixated on the statue removal. Wonder why?

NO ken I am not fixated on the statues. As I have said multiple times....it was a recent event....and frankly one done under a cloak in multiple ways.

It is but one of many possible examples of the city squandering money on 'feel good' vote getting things and not the less sexy non-voting things (like boilers that work).

No I really don't care about the statues.... I am sure there are many many other wasteful things that could be used as an example. This one was 'handy' and recent and one most everyone is familiar with (for and against).

And please stop implying I am a red neck bigot/racist. I promise you if Oprah runs....she has my vote. and no I am not kidding.

4 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

I think judging Pugh this early is not very fair. It seems that she inherited a fairly large mess from the previous admin....that 'we' almost daily hear about. Like contracts with the police and a disfucntional Ed Admin system that can't even get paperwork done correctly and on time.

Glad you agree about the 'feel good' get a vote gestures. Like more pop-ups instead of a better judicial system. 

Edited by Guido2

Saw this on tv.  Pretty interesting.

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-baltimore/baltimore-schools-maintenance-nightmare-project-baltimore-follows-the-money

Over 30 million in the city school budget for prescription drugs.  Why is the school system buying prescription drugs?  That wasn't mentioned in the story, it should have been. 

I would think 30 million would buy a lot of heating systems. 

8 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

Saw this on tv.  Pretty interesting.

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-baltimore/baltimore-schools-maintenance-nightmare-project-baltimore-follows-the-money

Over 30 million in the city school budget for prescription drugs.  Why is the school system buying prescription drugs?  That wasn't mentioned in the story, it should have been. 

I would think 30 million would buy a lot of heating systems. 

Wth? They just slipped that in the article with no explanation?? I’d definitely like to hear more about that.

Gotta love this quote though:

“You know how much work they done missed? You know how much intellect they done missed for those little two weeks being out of school?” says Epps. “It just don’t make sense.”

Edited by PinkFlamingo

46 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Wth? They just slipped that in the article with no explanation?? I’d definitely like to hear more about that.

Gotta love this quote though:

“You know how much work they done missed? You know how much intellect they done missed for those little two weeks being out of school?” says Epps. “It just don’t make sense.”

So would I. Yes just dropping that bomb shell in there with no explanation is very very poor news reporting IMO. Hopefully enough people will scream at 'them' for more info.

In 2013, the district spent $17.9 million on prescription drugs. Next year, it plans to spend nearly $33 million, or almost double.

On what? For the schools.....Narcan (sic?)....birth control?....cough drops? Or is it for the admin and staff....maybe their health plan doesn't cover it and the city set up its own reimbursement program. It is possible you know.

Like the leaky boiler pipes ....this type of information will slowly trickle out....I think the city has run out of 'dodges'. Especially since Hogan is on the job.

BUT this line is the kicker.............

What is unusual is how much City Schools spends on administration. At $62 million, nearly five percent of the total budget, it’s by far the most in the region. Howards spends just $14 million. Anne Arundel is at $33 million. Baltimore County, a much larger school district, spends $52 million. This is money that doesn’t get to the classroom or boiler room.

So 62M for a school system....that has fewer students then ever before in recent times....far less than some surrounding counties AND have more schools period to manage....and 5% of the budget is for people counting paper clips and pushing paper. Which they seem to not be able to do correctly. See 66M returned to state earmarked for boiler repair on that one.

And this quote....smh.......

Project Baltimore reached out to Baltimore City Schools about this story. We specifically asked them to explain why City Schools spends the most in the region on administration. They released a statement reading in part, "it would be difficult to respond given that we have no frame of reference regarding what other districts include in their administrative costs."

Sorry ... I got to say it.....are they retarded in the front office...are they special needs.....don't they know how to google.....or MY GOD...read the Sun which has pointed out information like this time and time again. That response if PURE AND ABSOLUTE BS. However, if by some strange cosmic chance that it is true....well...simply stated....it is not hard to figure out why they are so f'ed up.

I don't know about you guys....but I have contacted all my reps in district 44 and 44B....and even contacted the districts 46 reps (due to the article in the paper City Legislators pledge to work toward 'equitable and just' MD) since they 'reached out' to the people in MD. And demanded an independent audit! Do that and I might start having some sympathy for the plight of the Baltimore Ed system. I want to know what my tax dollars and yours are paying for.

. SSSShhhhessssshhhhhh.

Edited by Guido2

"Criticism also came from former NFL linebacker Aaron Maybin, a Baltimore native who now teaches in the city. He says his first-aid kit thermometer showed it was 40 degrees in his classroom Wednesday at Matthew A. Henson Elementary School."

Kids in class with coats, gloves and hats on....unacceptable, period.

40 degrees? Man, people out here would have been seeing red.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:03 PM, bmore_ken said:

Not just you:D.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:41 AM, PinkFlamingo said:

I had such hope for Pugh. I thought she’d seen the mistakes of her predecessors, and had a clear(er) vision of how to move forward. Baltimore needs some new faces in City Hall. New thinking.

Maybe voters should have thought better of Alan Walden ..???