Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGuru

2018 NFL Draft-Ravens Edition

68 posts in this topic

I love the NFL draft.  It gets more important as the Ravens are 40-40 in the last five seasons.  The Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine are fast approaching.  Below is my latest mock draft on Fanspeak’s On the Clock NFL Mock Draft Simulator:

16: R1P16
WR CALVIN RIDLEY
ALABAMA
52: R2P20
QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE
83: R3P19
RB BRYCE LOVE
STANFORD
101: R3P37
TE TROY FUMAGALLI
WISCONSIN
120: R4P18
TE MIKE GESICKI
PENN STATE
156: R5P17
WR DEONTAY BURNETT
USC
194: R6P16
BRADLEY BOZEMAN
ALABAMA

IMO, this draft gives the Ravens much-needed offensive firepower to put at Joe Flacco’s disposal.  Added to an offensive line that returns Marshall Yanda & Alex Lewis and a defense that gets back  Jimmy Smith & Tavon Young, the Ravens could make a playoff push with luck and reduced injuries.

Btw, my Lamar Jackson pick is pure fantasy.  I haven’t heard if Jackson announced for this year’s draft and there are several teams drafting in front of the Ravens who desperately need a franchise-type QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I understand, this year's draft figures to be very deep in running backs, so it would be foolish of the Ravens--even with Alex Collins--to not jump in and get one at some point. This could be a draft with which to completely re-tool the offense--which means Ozzie will use it to take defensive tackles who are good at stopping the run.

One name I've seen at QB which could be intriguing is Drew Lock of Missouri. I don't think he's declared whether or not he's entering the draft, and from what I've read, he wouldn't be NFL-ready if he did. But he has a very strong arm and a quick release, so he could be a good prospect as an heir-apparent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GURU - always glad to have some draft talk on this forum!

Lamar Jackson declared for the NFL Draft but I don't think he will last until round 2. If he's there at 16 that would really interesting. I'm not a fan of his accuracy but his playmaking talent is undeniable.

I don't think Calvin Ridley will last till 16 as he's going to be the 1st WR taken.

Troy Fumagalli also - will be gone by round 2 or 3 imo.

But if this is how the draft shook out I'd jump through the roof!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, mdrunning said:

From what I understand, this year's draft figures to be very deep in running backs, so it would be foolish of the Ravens--even with Alex Collins--to not jump in and get one at some point. This could be a draft with which to completely re-tool the offense--which means Ozzie will use it to take defensive tackles who are good at stopping the run.

One name I've seen at QB which could be intriguing is Drew Lock of Missouri. I don't think he's declared whether or not he's entering the draft, and from what I've read, he wouldn't be NFL-ready if he did. But he has a very strong arm and a quick release, so he could be a good prospect as an heir-apparent.

I lack confidence in Ozzie's ability to choose offensive players. Sure, he picked Ogden, but *I* could have made that pick with that draft position; Ogden was being projected for the HoF while still in school. Ozzie is particularly poor at wide receiver.

I don't think choosing a quarterback is a good idea until Harbs is gone. Joe stalled after he signed his big deal and Harbs hasn't been able to make him better. Maybe he can't get better, but if you're picking the QB heir apparent you should have a coach with the proven or at least strongly suggested ability to develop a QB. We saw in Billick what happens when the coach cannot do that.

Edited by Evil Yoda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even with Ozzie's poor record on WRs, I'd still go that way. Just focus primarily on toughness, shiftiness, and hands over raw speed.

Pass rush is still lacking, but I'd like to see a bunch of offensive picks, RB and QB among them. A Center, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to wonder if the Ravens' bad track record with WRs is related to Joe being an average qb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Slidemaster said:

I have to wonder if the Ravens' bad track record with WRs is related to Joe being an average qb.

I can't place the Perriman blame at the feet of Joe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I predict the Ravens will select a Defensive End from Alabama in the first round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

I lack confidence in Ozzie's ability to choose offensive players. Sure, he picked Ogden, but *I* could have made that pick with that draft position; Ogden was being projected for the HoF while still in school. Ozzie is particularly poor at wide receiver.

I don't think choosing a quarterback is a good idea until Harbs is gone. Joe stalled after he signed his big deal and Harbs hasn't been able to make him better. Maybe he can't get better, but if you're picking the QB heir apparent you should have a coach with the proven or at least strongly suggested ability to develop a QB. We saw in Billick what happens when the coach cannot do that.

Funny thing about Ogden, I saw an old episode of Coach the other day when he was the HC of the Orlando Breakers.  They had the 1st draft pick and had to decide who to pick.  After their first choice, Keyshawn Johnson (who was the actual first pick) told them he wouldn't play for them, they narrowed it down to  Kevin Hardy or Jonathon Ogden.  Even a fictional HC knew Ogden was going to be great.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheGuru said:

I love the NFL draft.  It gets more important as the Ravens are 40-40 in the last five seasons.  The Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine are fast approaching.  Below is my latest mock draft on Fanspeak’s On the Clock NFL Mock Draft Simulator:

16: R1P16
WR CALVIN RIDLEY
ALABAMA
52: R2P20
QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE
83: R3P19
RB BRYCE LOVE
STANFORD
101: R3P37
TE TROY FUMAGALLI
WISCONSIN
120: R4P18
TE MIKE GESICKI
PENN STATE
156: R5P17
WR DEONTAY BURNETT
USC
194: R6P16
BRADLEY BOZEMAN
ALABAMA

IMO, this draft gives the Ravens much-needed offensive firepower to put at Joe Flacco’s disposal.  Added to an offensive line that returns Marshall Yanda & Alex Lewis and a defense that gets back  Jimmy Smith & Tavon Young, the Ravens could make a playoff push with luck and reduced injuries.

Btw, my Lamar Jackson pick is pure fantasy.  I haven’t heard if Jackson announced for this year’s draft and there are several teams drafting in front of the Ravens who desperately need a franchise-type QB.

I like the Bozeman and the Gesicki picks. But l agree with Poe, Ridley will be gone by 16.  What about the 2 WR's from Oklahoma State: James Washington and Marcel Ateman? 

I doubt the Raven's will use this draft as a total offensive load up- so I expect to see them drafting a DE and an ILB. They may even need a young safety to fill in the hole that the Matt Elam busted pick left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mikemor1 said:

I like the Bozeman and the Gesicki picks. But l agree with Poe, Ridley will be gone by 16.  What about the 2 WR's from Oklahoma State: James Washington and Marcel Ateman? 

I doubt the Raven's will use this draft as a total offensive load up- so I expect to see them drafting a DE and an ILB. They may even need a young safety to fill in the hole that the Matt Elam busted pick left.

Agree I doubt Oz will load up on Offense like he did defense last year. He just doesn't seem to prioritize it as heavily.

As far as James Washington I think 16 may be high for him. I like Courtland Sutton better at 16 but even he's risky- big guy with great athleticism and good hands but not best at separating from DBs. The more I look at WRs the best ones can seperare from coverage and that should be coveted more than size /athleticism imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, poefolks said:

Agree I doubt Oz will load up on Offense like he did defense last year. He just doesn't seem to prioritize it as heavily.

As far as James Washington I think 16 may be high for him. I like Courtland Sutton better at 16 but even he's risky- big guy with great athleticism and good hands but not best at separating from DBs. The more I look at WRs the best ones can seperare from coverage and that should be coveted more than size /athleticism imo.

and that's always been a problem with Raven's WR's...

I realize it's not news but what frustrates me is they forgo drafting offensive play makers for the purpose of attaining a stout defense - and after the draft and all those F/A signings, the defense is still shaky, especially in the last 2 mins.

And now I fear they'll lose Jensen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My fun dream pick would be Sony Michel- RB and punt returner, especially if they cut ties with Campanero.

I like Camp but another one who is never healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TheGuru said:

I love the NFL draft.  It gets more important as the Ravens are 40-40 in the last five seasons.  The Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine are fast approaching.  Below is my latest mock draft on Fanspeak’s On the Clock NFL Mock Draft Simulator:

16: R1P16
WR CALVIN RIDLEY
ALABAMA
52: R2P20
QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE
83: R3P19
RB BRYCE LOVE
STANFORD
101: R3P37
TE TROY FUMAGALLI
WISCONSIN
120: R4P18
TE MIKE GESICKI
PENN STATE
156: R5P17
WR DEONTAY BURNETT
USC
194: R6P16
BRADLEY BOZEMAN
ALABAMA

IMO, this draft gives the Ravens much-needed offensive firepower to put at Joe Flacco’s disposal.  Added to an offensive line that returns Marshall Yanda & Alex Lewis and a defense that gets back  Jimmy Smith & Tavon Young, the Ravens could make a playoff push with luck and reduced injuries.

Btw, my Lamar Jackson pick is pure fantasy.  I haven’t heard if Jackson announced for this year’s draft and there are several teams drafting in front of the Ravens who desperately need a franchise-type QB.

Lamar Jackson does not make it past Arizona at number 15. Personally, he is my number 2 behind Mayfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mikemor1 you watching Derrick Henry? Man I love watching huge backs hammer the defense. We have one in Alex Collins too wish they would give it to him 25 times a game minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The draft simulator takes into account the Big Board you choose as well as your team needs.  I’d say that WR, TE, QB, RB, C & FS are the Ravens top needs.

I like Mike Miller’s Big Board and I mostly choose the fans’ choice team needs.  The website updates both every few days.  Every draft is different.  I just lucked out on what I think is a good draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2018 at 0:36 PM, mdrunning said:

From what I understand, this year's draft figures to be very deep in running backs, so it would be foolish of the Ravens--even with Alex Collins--to not jump in and get one at some point. This could be a draft with which to completely re-tool the offense--which means Ozzie will use it to take defensive tackles who are good at stopping the run.

One name I've seen at QB which could be intriguing is Drew Lock of Missouri. I don't think he's declared whether or not he's entering the draft, and from what I've read, he wouldn't be NFL-ready if he did. But he has a very strong arm and a quick release, so he could be a good prospect as an heir-apparent.

This is what the Walter Football website said on 1/4/18 about Lock:

Sources say Lock is considering entering the 2018 NFL Draft and received a second-round estimation from the NFL Draft Advisory Board. Lock set the SEC single regular-season record for touchdown passes in 2017 with 43. He went on a tear in the last half of the year to lead Missouri to six straight wins after a 1-5 start. Lock completed 58 percent of his passes in 2017 for 3,964 yards with 44 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. 

Lock is a gunslinger-style quarterback who has a big arm with the ability to throw any pass. However, he needs to improve his accuracy, field vision, and the speed at which he works through progressions. Lock can be prone to overthrows, plus can put too much heat on some passes. Lock has good size and can fit the pass into tight windows. He throws the ball well downfield and shows some timing and anticipation. Lock does have the propensity to force throws to covered wideouts as he can trust his arm too much to beat tight coverage. He also has some mobility. Lock could stand to make improvements before going to the NFL, and improving as a senior might be his best route toward having a good pro career and going higher in his draft.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2018 at 1:34 PM, Evil Yoda said:

I lack confidence in Ozzie's ability to choose offensive players. Sure, he picked Ogden, but *I* could have made that pick with that draft position; Ogden was being projected for the HoF while still in school. Ozzie is particularly poor at wide receiver.

I don't think choosing a quarterback is a good idea until Harbs is gone. Joe stalled after he signed his big deal and Harbs hasn't been able to make him better. Maybe he can't get better, but if you're picking the QB heir apparent you should have a coach with the proven or at least strongly suggested ability to develop a QB. We saw in Billick what happens when the coach cannot do that.

You probably would have taken Lawrence Phillips with that pick.  Many would have.

 

That draft was amazing top to bottom.  Had to be one of the best of all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2018 at 9:25 PM, TheGuru said:

This is what the Walter Football website said on 1/4/18 about Lock:

Sources say Lock is considering entering the 2018 NFL Draft and received a second-round estimation from the NFL Draft Advisory Board. Lock set the SEC single regular-season record for touchdown passes in 2017 with 43. He went on a tear in the last half of the year to lead Missouri to six straight wins after a 1-5 start. Lock completed 58 percent of his passes in 2017 for 3,964 yards with 44 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. 

Lock is a gunslinger-style quarterback who has a big arm with the ability to throw any pass. However, he needs to improve his accuracy, field vision, and the speed at which he works through progressions. Lock can be prone to overthrows, plus can put too much heat on some passes. Lock has good size and can fit the pass into tight windows. He throws the ball well downfield and shows some timing and anticipation. Lock does have the propensity to force throws to covered wideouts as he can trust his arm too much to beat tight coverage. He also has some mobility. Lock could stand to make improvements before going to the NFL, and improving as a senior might be his best route toward having a good pro career and going higher in his draft.”

 

Sounds like a Flacco clone. Field vision and works through progressions ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fanspeak’s Draft Simulator 2.0
 
1st Round 16th Pick
WR CALVIN RIDLEY
ALABAMA
-Ravens swoop in and finally get best receiver in draft after missing out on several impact receivers over the years.
2nd Round 20th Pick
C/G BILLY PRICE
OHIO STATE
-All-American Price takes over at center for free agent Ryan Jensen who will get a big free agent contract from some idiot GM.
3rd Round 19th Pick
WR SIMMIE COBBS JR.
INDIANA
-The physical Alshon Jeffrey-clone will complement Ridley’s speed and flash.
3rd Round 37th Pick
TE HAYDEN HURST
SOUTH CAROLINA
-Ravens draft Big, athletic TE to take over position for aging Ben Watson and other disappointments at the position.
4th Round 18th Pick
CB MIKE HUGHES
CENTRAL FLORIDA
-Steal of the draft if Hughes falls this far.  Also, insurance for Jimmy Smith and Tavon Young as they return from injury.  May allow Ravens to release Brandon Carr for cap purposes.
5th Round 17th Pick
DOMINICK SANDERS
GEORGIA
-Needs to get stronger and improve tackling but a very good cover safety.
6th Round 16th Pick
LB DORIAN ODANIEL
CLEMSON
-Good all around ILB that can cover TEs and RBs out of the backfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2018 at 3:37 PM, Thirteen said:

I predict the Ravens will select a Defensive End from Alabama in the first round.

That would definitely fill a need. That is for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2018 at 9:20 PM, TheGuru said:

The draft simulator takes into account the Big Board you choose as well as your team needs.  I’d say that WR, TE, QB, RB, C & FS are the Ravens top needs.

I like Mike Miller’s Big Board and I mostly choose the fans’ choice team needs.  The website updates both every few days.  Every draft is different.  I just lucked out on what I think is a good draft.

Don't you think The Ravens need a couple of Defensive ends to get after the Qb before a center or FS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mel Kiper says O'Neill - Offensive Tackle from Pitt - as their first round choice.  I would not hate that pick if it happened.

Re-sign Jensen, get Yanda & Lewis back from injury, Stanley & O'Neill as bookend Tackles - with some combination of Skura, Howard, Siragusa &  Eluemunor  as back-ups and you are possibly looking at the best and deepest OL in the NFL with Roman & D'Allesandris as A+ coaches.The whole unit really came together over the last half of the season.  They can work on skill positions in rounds 2-4.  A high caliber OL will make all the other skill position players better.

I am not sold on Ridley. I actually thought his brother looked more explosive during the CFB Championship game.  I think he could be a really solid NFL receiver - but not sure he is a game changing player that defenses would need to key on (e.g. - OBJ, Julio, Antonio).  It would be high risk (I think) to invest a #1 pick on WR - and I don't think the franchise could afford to whiff on this one after the Perriman debacle.  If a consensus top Tackle is available - I would lean towards grabbing him over a WR at 16.

Edited by RestonRaven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracks me up when I see people predicting who will be the 194th player taken in the draft.

Edited by Thirteen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2018 at 9:25 PM, TheGuru said:

This is what the Walter Football website said on 1/4/18 about Lock:

Sources say Lock is considering entering the 2018 NFL Draft and received a second-round estimation from the NFL Draft Advisory Board. Lock set the SEC single regular-season record for touchdown passes in 2017 with 43. He went on a tear in the last half of the year to lead Missouri to six straight wins after a 1-5 start. Lock completed 58 percent of his passes in 2017 for 3,964 yards with 44 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. 

Lock is a gunslinger-style quarterback who has a big arm with the ability to throw any pass. However, he needs to improve his accuracy, field vision, and the speed at which he works through progressions. Lock can be prone to overthrows, plus can put too much heat on some passes. Lock has good size and can fit the pass into tight windows. He throws the ball well downfield and shows some timing and anticipation. Lock does have the propensity to force throws to covered wideouts as he can trust his arm too much to beat tight coverage. He also has some mobility. Lock could stand to make improvements before going to the NFL, and improving as a senior might be his best route toward having a good pro career and going higher in his draft.”

That's... Joe Flacco! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0