Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGuru

2018 NFL Draft-Ravens Edition

68 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2018 at 3:37 PM, Thirteen said:

I predict the Ravens will select a Defensive End from Alabama in the first round.

That makes two of us :D

On 1/5/2018 at 1:41 PM, Steveg85321 said:

Even with Ozzie's poor record on WRs, I'd still go that way. Just focus primarily on toughness, shiftiness, and hands over raw speed.

Pass rush is still lacking, but I'd like to see a bunch of offensive picks, RB and QB among them. A Center, too.

I think you're going to be disappointed

5 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I think you're going to be disappointed

Usually am

10 hours ago, Steveg85321 said:

Usually am

You could be one of those fans staring in disbelief when the team selects someone no one has heard of.

19 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

Don't you think The Ravens need a couple of Defensive ends to get after the Qb before a center or FS?

3-4 DEs primarily take up blockers and slow down the run not rush the passer.  However, the Ravens only have rookie Chris Wormley and 2nd year disappointment, Bronson Kaufusi on the roster at this time.  Brent Urban is coming back from an injury and could be cut.  The Ravens definitely need a DE.  

The pass rush in a 3-4 defense usually comes from the OLB position.  OLB Matt Judon had a good season rushing the passer.  2nd year OLBs Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser have to step up so Terrell Suggs doesn’t wilt in December like he has the last two seasons.  Za’Darius Smith is another OLB who’s shown glimpses of ability to harass opposing QBs but may get cut next summer.

18 hours ago, RestonRaven said:

Mel Kiper says O'Neill - Offensive Tackle from Pitt - as their first round choice.  I would not hate that pick if it happened.

Re-sign Jensen, get Yanda & Lewis back from injury, Stanley & O'Neill as bookend Tackles - with some combination of Skura, Howard, Siragusa &  Eluemunor  as back-ups and you are possibly looking at the best and deepest OL in the NFL with Roman & D'Allesandris as A+ coaches.The whole unit really came together over the last half of the season.  They can work on skill positions in rounds 2-4.  A high caliber OL will make all the other skill position players better.

I am not sold on Ridley. I actually thought his brother looked more explosive during the CFB Championship game.  I think he could be a really solid NFL receiver - but not sure he is a game changing player that defenses would need to key on (e.g. - OBJ, Julio, Antonio).  It would be high risk (I think) to invest a #1 pick on WR - and I don't think the franchise could afford to whiff on this one after the Perriman debacle.  If a consensus top Tackle is available - I would lean towards grabbing him over a WR at 16.

Ridley was hampered by having a RB throw him the ball the last two seasons.  He could be the second coming of Julio Jones! If the Ravens have a chance to draft Ridley and pick an offensive lineman, I might sell my PSLs in Section 545.

17 hours ago, Thirteen said:

Cracks me up when I see people predicting who will be the 194th player taken in the draft.

It’s a draft simulator.

On 1/6/2018 at 7:08 PM, poefolks said:

Mikemor1 you watching Derrick Henry? Man I love watching huge backs hammer the defense. We have one in Alex Collins too wish they would give it to him 25 times a game minimum.

Poe- yes big RB's like Henry--and Leonard Fournette isn't doing half bad either.  But that's why I like Sony Michel- a nice compliment to Collins and a kick returner as well.

I think it's almost harder to be a team like the Raven's- stuck in the middle-trying to improve from mediocrity than all around bad.

Makes it harder to make changes because the guys you would need to cut aren't horrible therefore the improvements are not so obvious.

Like someone else posted, I am also not sold on Ridley. And like someone else also said, I doubt they'll pick what we would call an offensive play maker in round 1.  I'm thinking they'll go with linemen- either O or D, and maybe even another CB as Jimmy Smith is becoming more and more of a question mark. We also learned last season Brandon Carr can't cover.

They basically threw the kitchen sink at the defense last draft, and it appears that didn't get the job done.

Edited by mikemor1

Given our first round luck with offensive vs defensive  picks, I am okay with taking defense, if he is best available at that slot.

On 1/21/2018 at 11:09 AM, Manny said:

Given our first round luck with offensive vs defensive  picks, I am okay with taking defense, if he is best available at that slot.

Yeah, if it’s Roquan Smith or Minkah Fitzpatrick.

On 1/20/2018 at 8:15 AM, stevez51 said:

You could be one of those fans staring in disbelief when the team selects someone no one has heard of.

Nobody was expecting the Ravens taking Marlon Humphrey last year except for maybe OCF who has never been wrong. I remember when they announced the pick, the hosts were in complete silence scrambling to find notes on this guy. He was a very risky pick by Ozzie and looks like now that kid is going to be one of the best corners in the league

14 hours ago, TheGuru said:

Yeah, if it’s Roquan Smith or Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Can you imagine Smith opposite of Mosley? A Ravens fan can only dream! If he slips past Miami, he could land with us.

Edited by Manny

2 hours ago, Manny said:

Can you imagine Smith opposite of Mosley? A Ravens fan can only dream! If he slips past Miami, he could land with us.

yes, I can imagine it, and I like what I'm imagining

Last year I thought the O-line was sooooo poor, for the first time in my life I said draft best C in the draft. From what I see here on the forum and a few web sites I checked out , our O-line graded out in the top half of the league. In that case, I'll go back to the old tried and true tactic of free agency for need, BPA first round.

If minkah or roquan fall than either one should be the pick. Also I'm also not sold on Ridley - being a super star - just not enough tape on him. But his floor is a good #2 wr and I think he'd be worth the risk in the case he does emerge into a top flight WR. He definitely can separate from the DB and can catch. If it takes using #16 to get a good/solid wr than so be it. 

On 1/23/2018 at 3:18 PM, mikemor1 said:

yes, I can imagine it, and I like what I'm imagining

Meanwhile, the Steelers and Bengals don’t like the visual!

On 1/24/2018 at 2:54 PM, mrdeltoid said:

Last year I thought the O-line was sooooo poor, for the first time in my life I said draft best C in the draft. From what I see here on the forum and a few web sites I checked out , our O-line graded out in the top half of the league. In that case, I'll go back to the old tried and true tactic of free agency for need, BPA first round.

But if BPA is a DE .......

1 hour ago, stevez51 said:

1 hour ago, stevez51 said:

Yup, take him. I learned that lesson in the Ravens first draft. We needed a feature back in the worst way. We were solid at LT with Tony Jones. Ozz went with BPA, drafted JO, he played LG his rookie year, and the rest is history. I , along with most fans wanted Lawrence Phillips......I rest my case.

Edited by mrdeltoid

Just now, mrdeltoid said:

Yup, take him

No, I'd like them to trade down a few spots for a need. But what could happen is not finding a trade partner.

On 1/25/2018 at 8:49 AM, poefolks said:

If minkah or roquan fall than either one should be the pick. Also I'm also not sold on Ridley - being a super star - just not enough tape on him. But his floor is a good #2 wr and I think he'd be worth the risk in the case he does emerge into a top flight WR. He definitely can separate from the DB and can catch. If it takes using #16 to get a good/solid wr than so be it. 

I'm thinking they try to get James Washington in round 2 and get another WR in the F/A.

I don't claim to be that familiar with this year's draft crop, but one area the Ravens need to upgrade is tight end. Look at the two Super Bowl teams and how vital the tight end is to their respective offenses. The Jags and Vikings, who reached their respective conference championships, both got excellent production from the tight end position. Mercedes Lewis led Jacksonville in receiving TDs and was second in yards per catch. Kyle Rudolf was tied for first on the Vikings with eight TD catches

Look what happened to Kansas City in this year's playoffs after Travis Kelce got hurt. Their offense sputtered, gasped, and finally died. Those types of guys are the chain-movers, the ones who can get the team into the end zone from the red zone rather than settling for field goals. The Ravens don't have a player like that. 

3 hours ago, stevez51 said:

No, I'd like them to trade down a few spots for a need. But what could happen is not finding a trade partner.

Yup, take him. I learned that lesson in the Ravens first draft. We needed a feature back in the worst way. We were solid at LT with Tony Jones. Ozz went with BPA, drafted JO, he played LG his rookie year, and the rest is history. I , along with most fans wanted Lawrence Phillips......I rest my case.

2 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

They need to look to the future if that's the case. Who are you going to lose next year.

2 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

They need to look to the future if that's the case. Who are you going to lose next year.

That's something I really can't comment on . Since the 3rd game I haven't watched them, so I'll have to check out contracts and stuff. I'm kind of on a mission to see how close I come to predicting division champions, conference champs, SB teams etc. Since I got the NFC right , and the AFC right until Pitt got beat, I need to look at my formula again. I think I'm going to change the total defense where it's yards allowed, and go with pts. allowed. I was shocked to see Philly as I predicted with out Wentz. Either QB wasn't as important as I thought, or Foles is a lot better than I thought. I'm gonna take a look at the draft though. I checked and Ravens were #1 in the NFL in turnover ratio. Another shock!