Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGuru

2018 NFL Draft-Ravens Edition

68 posts in this topic

With the Senior Bowl now in the rear view mirror, the 2018 NFL Draft season is officially underway.

The Ravens have $10.9M in  salary cap space and have to do some work to the roster to get ready for free agency.  This will Be Ozzie Newsome’s last free agency period and draft as the head guy and he and Eric DeCosta should start with trimming the roster of bad contracts.  

First, they can start by cutting Jeremy Maclin, Brandon Carr, Danny Woodhead, Lardarius Webb, Albert McClellan & Darren Waller.  According to Over The Cap (OTC), these cuts would save $14.5 million on the cap raising the Ravens available cap space to $25.4M.

As for free agents, I think the Ravens should retain Mike Wallace, Ben Watson, Brent Urban, Alex Collins, Patrick Onwuasor and Matt Skura.  

On the other hand, I hope they let go of Ryan Mallett, Ryan Jensen, Terrence West, James Hurst, Mike Campanaro and Crockett Gilmore.  

My most recent Fanspeak’s On The Clock Mock Draft Simulator resulted in the following:

R1P16 
WR CALVIN RIDLEY
ALABAMA
R2P20
OT ORLANDO BROWN
OKLAHOMA
R3P19
QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE
R3P38
TERRELL EDMUNDS
VIRGINIA TECH
R4P18
TE TROY FUMAGALLI
WISCONSIN
R5P17
WR EQUANIMEOUS ST. BROWN
NOTRE DAME
R6P16
EDGE ANDREW BROWN
VIRGINIA

RIdley and St. Brown would finally give Joe Flacco talented homegrown wideouts to work with  during his last two seasons in Baltimore.  Orlando Brown takes over at RT leaving Alex Lewis to return to LG coming off his injury.

Lamar Jackson gets to sit and learn under Joe Flacco for two seasons before taking over the reins to an explosive Ravens offense in 2020.  Fumagalli will  learn from Ben Watson and help out as a another playmaker at the TE position.

Finally, Edmunds adds youth and speed at the FS position and Brown potentially gets to play DE with Urban, Chris Wormley and disappointment, Bronson Kaufusi.

Edited by TheGuru

On 1/5/2018 at 0:20 PM, TheGuru said:

I love the NFL draft.  It gets more important as the Ravens are 40-40 in the last five seasons.  The Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine are fast approaching.  Below is my latest mock draft on Fanspeak’s On the Clock NFL Mock Draft Simulator:

16: R1P16
WR CALVIN RIDLEY
ALABAMA
52: R2P20
QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE
83: R3P19
RB BRYCE LOVE
STANFORD
101: R3P37
TE TROY FUMAGALLI
WISCONSIN
120: R4P18
TE MIKE GESICKI
PENN STATE
156: R5P17
WR DEONTAY BURNETT
USC
194: R6P16
BRADLEY BOZEMAN
ALABAMA

IMO, this draft gives the Ravens much-needed offensive firepower to put at Joe Flacco’s disposal.  Added to an offensive line that returns Marshall Yanda & Alex Lewis and a defense that gets back  Jimmy Smith & Tavon Young, the Ravens could make a playoff push with luck and reduced injuries.

Btw, my Lamar Jackson pick is pure fantasy.  I haven’t heard if Jackson announced for this year’s draft and there are several teams drafting in front of the Ravens who desperately need a franchise-type QB.

my post combine but pre-FA picks:

ROUND 1: COURTLAND SUTTON, WR

ROUND 2: JOSEY JEWELL, ILB

ROUND 3: TYRELL CROSBY, OT

ROUND 4: IAN THOMAS, TE

ROUND 5: BRADLEY BOZEMAN, C

Get Donte Montcreif, WR in FA and trade with the Eagles to get Trey Burton, TE

6 hours ago, mikemor1 said:

my post combine but pre-FA picks:

ROUND 1: COURTLAND SUTTON, WR

ROUND 2: JOSEY JEWELL, ILB

ROUND 3: TYRELL CROSBY, OT

ROUND 4: IAN THOMAS, TE

ROUND 5: BRADLEY BOZEMAN, C

Get Donte Montcreif, WR in FA and trade with the Eagles to get Trey Burton, TE

Burton will likely become a free agent next week and won't lack for suitors. The Ravens aren't in a position to get into any bidding wars.

13 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Burton will likely become a free agent next week and won't lack for suitors. The Ravens aren't in a position to get into any bidding wars.

that's why I was hoping for a trade. Their big free agency splash has got to be more than just re-signing Brent Urban. I would be surprised if they hold onto Jensen.

On 1/26/2018 at 0:45 PM, mdrunning said:

Look what happened to Kansas City in this year's playoffs after Travis Kelce got hurt. Their offense sputtered, gasped, and finally died. Those types of guys are the chain-movers, the ones who can get the team into the end zone from the red zone rather than settling for field goals. The Ravens don't have a player like that. 

They passed on that guy in the draft last year. Last name Howard.

On 2/3/2018 at 1:40 PM, TheGuru said:

With the Senior Bowl now in the rear view mirror, the 2018 NFL Draft season is officially underway.

The Ravens have $10.9M in  salary cap space and have to do some work to the roster to get ready for free agency.  This will Be Ozzie Newsome’s last free agency period and draft as the head guy and he and Eric DeCosta should start with trimming the roster of bad contracts.  

First, they can start by cutting Jeremy Maclin, Brandon Carr, Danny Woodhead, Lardarius Webb, Albert McClellan & Darren Waller.  According to Over The Cap (OTC), these cuts would save $14.5 million on the cap raising the Ravens available cap space to $25.4M.

As for free agents, I think the Ravens should retain Mike Wallace, Ben Watson, Brent Urban, Alex Collins, Patrick Onwuasor and Matt Skura.  

On the other hand, I hope they let go of Ryan Mallett, Ryan Jensen, Terrence West, James Hurst, Mike Campanaro and Crockett Gilmore.  

My most recent Fanspeak’s On The Clock Mock Draft Simulator resulted in the following:

R1P16 
WR CALVIN RIDLEY
ALABAMA
R2P20
OT ORLANDO BROWN
OKLAHOMA
R3P19
QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE
R3P38
TERRELL EDMUNDS
VIRGINIA TECH
R4P18
TE TROY FUMAGALLI
WISCONSIN
R5P17
WR EQUANIMEOUS ST. BROWN
NOTRE DAME
R6P16
EDGE ANDREW BROWN
VIRGINIA

RIdley and St. Brown would finally give Joe Flacco talented homegrown wideouts to work with  during his last two seasons in Baltimore.  Orlando Brown takes over at RT leaving Alex Lewis to return to LG coming off his injury.

Lamar Jackson gets to sit and learn under Joe Flacco for two seasons before taking over the reins to an explosive Ravens offense in 2020.  Fumagalli will  learn from Ben Watson and help out as a another playmaker at the TE position.

Finally, Edmunds adds youth and speed at the FS position and Brown potentially gets to play DE with Urban, Chris Wormley and disappointment, Bronson Kaufusi.

Retain Ben Watson? Yeah I suppose those 4 yard catches when we need 6 will come in handy. 

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:47 PM, bmore_ken said:

They passed on that guy in the draft last year. Last name Howard.

Yeah those 400 yards he got in 14 games in such a high powered offense really makes other teams shiver :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

Yeah those 400 yards he got in 14 games in such a high powered offense really makes other teams shiver :rolleyes:

Flacco doesn't have Julio Jones. The Falcons had three WRs with over 50 catches(you know a real passing game), he wasn't a focal part of the offense there.  As much as Flacco relied on Ben Watson last year, it would have made a big difference. Let me break it down for you junior. Ben Watson  61 catches for 522 yards , that's an 8.6 average per catch. Howard averaged  16.6 yards per catch. 61 catches puts him over a thousand yards. I realize you know more football than anyone on the board  :rolleyes: so I'm not bothering trying to convince you, but he was a playmaker that the Ravens needed and still need. Hell, they're shopping for a pass catching TE now. Harbaugh said so in an interview just today. 

Edited by bmore_ken

16 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Flacco doesn't have Julio Jones. The Falcons had three WRs with over 50 catches(you know a real passing game), he wasn't a focal part of the offense there.  As much as Flacco relied on Ben Watson last year, it would have made a big difference. Let me break it down for you junior. Ben Watson  61 catches for 522 yards , that's an 8.6 average per catch. Howard averaged  16.6 yards per catch. 61 catches puts him over a thousand yards. I realize you know more football than anyone on the board  :rolleyes: so I'm not bothering trying to convince you, but he was a playmaker that the Ravens needed and still need. Hell, they're shopping for a pass catching TE now. Harbaugh said so in an interview just today. 

They better somehow end up with 2!

2 hours ago, mikemor1 said:

They better somehow end up with 2!

I have no confidence that they will. I was shocked when Crabtree was signed.

18 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Have you lost your mind? Are you running a fever? What are you talking about? You seem a bit confused. Have a seat, relax, think about your thoughts and then come on back.

48 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I have no confidence that they will. I was shocked when Crabtree was signed.

I'd love to see them get Sony Michel in round 1 and Mike Gesicki in round 2.  They need play makers and a kick returner and someone else other than Crabtree who can catch the ball.

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, poefolks said:

Mikemor1 what do you think about the rb Guice in rd 1? He seems like a Jamal Lewis clone in the sense that he's speed/power and built like a tank. Very hard to bring down and is made to overwhelm defenses and run them into the ground in the 4th quarter:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/03/nfl-draft-profile-no-24-lsu-rb-derrius-guice/a8mcmbp/

Poe-my biggest  knock on Guice is he's not known to be a pass threat/option- we know Joe loves the RB pass option-- Ray Rice style. I pick Michel over Guice for these reasons: he can be more a part of the passing game and he return's kicks.  I guess I see him as a little more versatile, a little more explosive, a little more unpredictable-which Raven's are rarely known for.

If they were going to get a guy like Guice, I'd rather see them take Kalen Bellange in a later round.

I see Mayock has Guice ranked #2 and Michel #3- but I'd be thrilled if they took either one of those guys-I really hope they get some play makers on offense, but I think we both agree on that.

Edited by mikemor1

Geisiki is the guy at te. watch a lot of penn state games this guy is a playmaker.

Posted (edited)

Good thread Guru........here are my thoughts on the up coming draft.

1. The ravens have completed their year end autopsy report, so to speak and the biggest conclusion was Flacco was not getting enough time to throw. Therefor, look for the Ravens to draft a Tackle in the first round.....or....Flacco is at his best when he has a bonafide deep threat that stretches the top of the coverages and allows a TE to get open in the spaces underneath....The Ravens could actually draft a TE in the first round and that man may be Dallas Goedert of North Dakota State. 

2. Calvin Ridley is a great wr but he does not fit the Ravens primary needs. What they need and have been looking for is a play maker with deep threat skills...Ridley is the total opposite....he is a under the coverage play maker who can take a short pass and break it long.....Sounds good but DJ Moore is much better equipped to stretch the field and catch it deep. Neither player is the best wr in the draft anyway...that honor goes to Micheal Gallup of Colorado St...and by far. This years draft is very deep in wr's, therefore, the Ravens can afford to take a gamble on a Olinemen in the first draft and still get a top notch wr or tight end in the second round.....Micheal Gallup might be that man.

3. As it regards qb's....do not let the NFL scouts fool you.....Lamar Jackson is rated as the 5th best qb in a insanely deep qb  class but you best believe, he could and may  go as high as the number 2 qb in this years draft. The guy put up big numbers against top flight schools, has a strong arm and has the scouts drooling. 

4. NO WAY IN HELL Orlando Brown goes as high as the 3rd round. Showing up to the combine fat and stupid provides alot of insight into his focus as a  professional athlete.  No way Oz will take a gamble on a kid with such piss poor work ethics....not as high as the 3rd round anyway.....no team with a good front office will draft him above the fourth round.

5. Anyone who attempts to predict the draft is a fool...the level of competition is too great and the train of thought of 32 teams is too complex and changes like the winds in March. However, the Ravens have a habit of finding good players in the lower rounds and they will continue to do so.

Look for the Ravens to sure up its Oline with a tackle and a tight end as the higher picks and depend on its free agent wr's to pull them through until next years draft. 

Edited by AgentOrange

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, AgentOrange said:

Good thread Guru........here are my thoughts on the up coming draft.

1. The ravens have completed their year end autopsy report, so to speak and the biggest conclusion was Flacco was not getting enough time to throw. Therefor, look for the Ravens to draft a Tackle in the first round.....or....Flacco is at his best when he has a bonafide deep threat that stretches the top of the coverages and allows a TE to get open in the spaces underneath....The Ravens could actually draft a TE in the first round and that man may be Dallas Goedert of North Dakota State. 

2. Calvin Ridley is a great wr but he does not fit the Ravens primary needs. What they need and have been looking for is a play maker with deep threat skills...Ridley is the total opposite....he is a under the coverage play maker who can take a short pass and break it long.....Sounds good but DJ Moore is much better equipped to stretch the field and catch it deep. Neither player is the best wr in the draft anyway...that honor goes to Micheal Gallup of Colorado St...and by far. This years draft is very deep in wr's, therefore, the Ravens can afford to take a gamble on a Olinemen in the first draft and still get a top notch wr or tight end in the second round.....Micheal Gallup might be that man.

3. As it regards qb's....do not let the NFL scouts fool you.....Lamar Jackson is rated as the 5th best qb in a insanely deep qb  class but you best believe, he could and may  go as high as the number 2 qb in this years draft. The guy put up big numbers against top flight schools, has a strong arm and has the scouts drooling. 

4. NO WAY IN HELL Orlando Brown goes as high as the 3rd round. Showing up to the combine fat and stupid provides alot of insight into his focus as a  professional athlete.  No way Oz will take a gamble on a kid with such piss poor work ethics....not as high as the 3rd round anyway.....no team with a good front office will draft him above the fourth round.

5. Anyone who attempts to predict the draft is a fool...the level of competition is too great and the train of thought of 32 teams is too complex and changes like the winds in March. However, the Ravens have a habit of finding good players in the lower rounds and they will continue to do so.

Look for the Ravens to sure up its Oline with a tackle and a tight end as the higher picks and depend on its free agent wr's to pull them through until next years draft. 

All it takes is a team to fall in love with a guy that they reach for. Brown will go earlier than thought ( just not here I hope ). Bengals drafted Ross way early last year.

Edited by stevez51

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, stevez51 said:

All it takes is a team to fall in love with a guy that they reach for. Brown will go earlier than thought ( just not here I hope ). Bengals drafted Ross way early last year.

I agree.....thats why the NFL draft is too hard to predict....each teams have guys coming in all the time for workouts....on any given day a kid can show some hustle and leave an impression that bumps his draft stock. The best thing about workouts and combines is the coaches and personal get to meet kids  up close and get a feel for their personalities......a team can watch a kid like Gino Smith on tape and fall in love with his play making abilities then work  him out and discover he is a rock and unlikable......so they might change their mind then draft another/different qb.....

Edited by AgentOrange