Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGuru

2018 NFL Draft-Ravens Edition

51 posts in this topic

With the Senior Bowl now in the rear view mirror, the 2018 NFL Draft season is officially underway.

The Ravens have $10.9M in  salary cap space and have to do some work to the roster to get ready for free agency.  This will Be Ozzie Newsome’s last free agency period and draft as the head guy and he and Eric DeCosta should start with trimming the roster of bad contracts.  

First, they can start by cutting Jeremy Maclin, Brandon Carr, Danny Woodhead, Lardarius Webb, Albert McClellan & Darren Waller.  According to Over The Cap (OTC), these cuts would save $14.5 million on the cap raising the Ravens available cap space to $25.4M.

As for free agents, I think the Ravens should retain Mike Wallace, Ben Watson, Brent Urban, Alex Collins, Patrick Onwuasor and Matt Skura.  

On the other hand, I hope they let go of Ryan Mallett, Ryan Jensen, Terrence West, James Hurst, Mike Campanaro and Crockett Gilmore.  

My most recent Fanspeak’s On The Clock Mock Draft Simulator resulted in the following:

R1P16 
WR CALVIN RIDLEY
ALABAMA
R2P20
OT ORLANDO BROWN
OKLAHOMA
R3P19
QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE
R3P38
TERRELL EDMUNDS
VIRGINIA TECH
R4P18
TE TROY FUMAGALLI
WISCONSIN
R5P17
WR EQUANIMEOUS ST. BROWN
NOTRE DAME
R6P16
EDGE ANDREW BROWN
VIRGINIA

RIdley and St. Brown would finally give Joe Flacco talented homegrown wideouts to work with  during his last two seasons in Baltimore.  Orlando Brown takes over at RT leaving Alex Lewis to return to LG coming off his injury.

Lamar Jackson gets to sit and learn under Joe Flacco for two seasons before taking over the reins to an explosive Ravens offense in 2020.  Fumagalli will  learn from Ben Watson and help out as a another playmaker at the TE position.

Finally, Edmunds adds youth and speed at the FS position and Brown potentially gets to play DE with Urban, Chris Wormley and disappointment, Bronson Kaufusi.

Edited by TheGuru